DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I think the Venice sequence vs the CG windsurfing is an unfair match. This is probably closer:

vs.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I've come to the conclusion that the person EON hired to create the CGI for Die Another Day is none other than our own @Thunderfinger, who is actually very talented in the field of CGI. His derision for Pierce Brosnan and his Bond films caused him to sabotage the CGI, which resulted in the creation of the worst Bond film of all time, and for people to look upon the Brosnan era in disdain. He now resides in Norway, where he laughs triumphantly.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Sounds make he'd make a great Bond villain.

May be Mendes could do his self-referencing thing again (a la the DB5 in SF) in B24, with the villain of the movie being the guy who did the CGI on DAD.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am available.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Aston Martin in Die Another Day wasn't CGI. While they used CG to make it "Invisible." It was still a real car. In a documentary they used liked 6 Vanquish's for the ice lake car chase.

The Bondola was good until it got out of the water to show off to the Italian public.
    Murdock wrote:
    The Aston Martin in Die Another Day wasn't CGI. While they used CG to make it "Invisible." It was still a real car. In a documentary they used liked 6 Vanquish's for the ice lake car chase.

The Bondola was good until it got out of the water to show off to the Italian public.

But it's the CGI that makes so damn awful.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote:

In the windsurfing scene yes, but The invisible car stuff doesn't bother me. I wonder if the invisible car was inspired by Metal Gear Solid's stealth camouflage.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The invisible car bothers no one. It is invisible.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

In the windsurfing scene yes, but The invisible car stuff doesn't bother me. I wonder if the invisible car was inspired by Metal Gear Solid's stealth camouflage.

I'm also referring to the CGI on the Vanquish.

Bond's gadgets were always cutting edge and/or working prototypes.

Even 12 years on from DAD and the "adaptive camouflage" has not been developed anywhere near to the level as portrayed in the film.

At least we currently have a space station! ;-)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,500
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It's actually very solid as a production.

As a BOND FILM though I'm not sure. Some great cinematography and all that but the cartoony nature does undermine it. The use of Chukovsky when Jaws first sees Dolly is just awful.

I apologize for being tediously nitpicky, but I just couldn't let that go: It's Tchaikovsky. You make him sound like Zukovsky. ;) He's one of my heroes, a terrific artist! Such a shame he has to be associated with that scene...
    I know I spelt it wrong but didn't have a spell check on my phone and was in a rush :(
    It's ok! It's not that big of a deal :))

The use of his music in the film is the real insult. How could they?
    Dear god!!

• edited May 2014 Posts: 7,500
    I played that piece not too long ago in fact. It's called "Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture". I remember that every time we reached that very point in the music, I couldn't help thinking about that scene. It became distracting after a while! :))
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Getafix wrote:
    Haven't seen it for donkeys years, but isn't the preceding gondola chase quite good?
    Murdock wrote:
    Yes, it's an awesome and original chase, and I don't mind the knife-throwing henchman in the casket (but did he really need make-up on to look dead?). The chase is then overshadowed by the scene featuring its hovercraft mode- which only lasts for like, 10 seconds. You could say the final moments tainted the entire sequence. Personally, I'm not that bothered by it, given the tone of the film as a whole. It's a bit of mindless fun.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    jobo wrote:
    I played that piece not too long ago in fact. It's called "Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture". I remember that every time we reached that very point in the music, I couldn't help thinking about that scene. It became distracting after a while! :))

To make matters worse its used embarrassingly not once but twice in Bond history.

"The bubbles tickle my...Tchaikovsky!"

I hope she was going to say her legs.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,492
    The highlight of Moonraker is Venice. Theres sheer bravery for Piazza san Marco and the gondolas of Venice. The district is too beautiful to be not shot well

Also, where did that second missile in the car chase explode? Did it carry on until Rekjavik?

If 'Dolly' and the 'Bondola/pigeon' etc were just deleted out and if Jaws remained a real killer as he was in TSWLM,then MR would have been a good escapade Bond film.

I will have to re-watch it soon,it is in 18th place at the moment on my list,behind GF and ahead of FYEO.

The bottom of my list is very very changeable compared to the top which rarely does.
    GF in 17th place?

Positively shocking!
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Yep....certainly is ;)

(But it is up and down like a bloody yo-yo on my list tbh haha )
    May be you watch it too often! Familiarity breeds contempt and all that...
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Aaah no,i actually havent watched many Bond flicks lately..the last 3 were SF,AVTAK and DAD.

I might try MR next,God help me, if i get time before the World Cup.
    barryt007 wrote:
    Aaah no,i actually havent watched many Bond flicks lately..the last 3 were SF,AVTAK and DAD.

If you gonna watch MR, I will say "Good Luck". You will positively enjoy the PTS aerial stunt and Chang is tops. The centrifuge scene is one of the few times when Moore actually looks scared and you believe he is in real danger. The movie starts to take a dip after Jaws is introduced and Dolly just sinks it to an all time low. Lois Chiles borders on cringeworthy as a Bond girl.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

If you gonna watch MR, I will say "Good Luck". You will positively enjoy the PTS aerial stunt and Chang is tops. The centrifuge scene is one of the few times when Moore actually looks scared and you believe he is in real danger. The movie starts to take a dip after Jaws is introduced and Dolly just sinks it to an all time low. Lois Chiles borders on cringeworthy as a Bond girl.

I would say that Chang is one of Moonraker's weaknesses. Why a man like Drax would employ Chang, I'm at loss. And all he does is bloody scream ("Ayaaaah!"). Geez, and some people said Stacey Sutton was annoying...
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

I would say that Chang is one of Moonraker's weaknesses. Why a man like Drax would employ Chang, I'm at loss. And all he does is bloody scream ("Ayaaaah!"). Geez, and some people said Stacey Sutton was annoying...

At least Chang does not scream: "James! Don't leave me! James! JAAAAMES!".
    jobo wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

At least Chang does not scream: "James! Don't leave me! James! JAAAAMES!".

At least Roberts can act, rather than being cast out of the blue for being Michael G. Wilson's kendo instructor.
    Chang is the man.

Chang is like Stamper or Mr Kil. Pretty standard and bland.
    I liked Chang. He looked like pure menace. Those emotionless eyes, no expression. I would consider him more like Vargas in TB instead of Stamper. He never speaks like Vargas and he showed no emotion when he turned the dogs loose. He was one bad mother.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,595
    Well I hate Stamper and Kil so I disagree with that comparison.

I agree more with OHMSS. Chang has a lot more menace to him. He's taking pure delight in that centrifuge scene. And he's got some humor about him unlike Stamper or Kil. Something's just funny. And when he just goes pure crazy during that fight scene he truly earns his stripes as a good henchman. Memorable, zany, and up to no good.