DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

1234568»

Comments

suavejmf wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Did he ?

In the MR DVD. He mentions that it's all a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously etc....

I didn't realise that...I really must update my DVD collection...what edition is it that he said that about MR ?

• AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    GBF wrote: »
    They all have their stand out scenes. And the films are all very memorable, as are the characters and set pieces. I just don't like the pacing so very much and often the iconic scenes are not put together very well. I also find that Gilbert is great in opening and finishing a film but what is in between drags a little bit and the story is often not strong enough to deliver any suspense. Hence the second act in all of Gilbert's film is generally very tedious in my eyes. This is especially the case in YOLT and MR.

Good call. MR is drags a long way through. Could cut everything between Corinne's demise and Bond's anaconda experience, and be fine.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's quite clear to me that MR was played for laughs. They deliberately went with a lighter tone to contrast the film with TSWLM. They are similar in many respects, but very different also. They make a decent double bill precisely because of that, & I like the fact that the lighter film is the later one.
    amazingly that is a double bill I have never tried,TSWLM & MR,i must give it a go if I can somehow find the time !!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I love DAD for the first half hour and then a lot here and there afterwards. But when it's bad, it's horrible.
    Agreed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    amazingly that is a double bill I have never tried,TSWLM & MR,i must give it a go if I can somehow find the time !!
    It's been a long while since I've done it and I am planning to later this year in honour of Roger's (and TSWLM's) special anniversary.

LALD/TMWTGG also makes an excellent double bill, and I even like OP/AVTAK together.

FYEO stands somewhat alone, but can be combined with OP/AVTAK for a triple bill (if one has a day for it).
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's been a long while since I've done it and I am planning to later this year in honour of Roger's (and TSWLM's) special anniversary.

LALD/TMWTGG also makes an excellent double bill, and I even like OP/AVTAK together.

FYEO stands somewhat alone, but can be combined with OP/AVTAK for a triple bill (if one has a day for it).

If only @bondjames ,if only ....

:((
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Did he ?

In the MR DVD. He mentions that it's all a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously etc....

I didn't realise that...I really must update my DVD collection...what edition is it that he said that about MR ?

MR ultimate edition DVD. Extras. Onset interviews in Rio.
    Ultimate Edition...got it...thanks @suavejmf !
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    OK,apparantly it includes SP now when i last updated it...so:

Moore : MR
    Brosnan: DAD
    Craig : SP

Similar,looking at their rankings ?
    And all 3 were their 4th Bond films......
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,087
    With MR DAD and SP there is a strange coincidence that they never get a consistent tone. Some parts are very serious, and even harrowing, yet slot of scenes of played like a farce sometimes too. There is also weird technology involved in the plot involving a rogue company, and the villain has a strange identity reveal. Well Drax in the book has a double identity, or he reinvents himself kinda like Gustav and Oberhauser. Yeah, lots of those connections that you only see if you look hard enough.
    With MR DAD and SP there is a strange coincidence that they never get a consistent tone. Some parts are very serious, and even harrowing, yet slot of scenes of played like a farce sometimes too. There is also weird technology involved in the plot involving a rogue company, and the villain has a strange identity reveal. Well Drax in the book has a double identity, or he reinvents himself kinda like Gustav and Oberhauser. Yeah, lots of those connections that you only see if you look hard enough.

They do have a lot in common in certain areas,one exception is DAD & MR have a great pace and energy to them,something SP certainly hasn't got.