DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Pity it was such a suck ass piece of crap as a Bond entry and it closed the book on the Brosnan era.

Which was one of the redeeming qualities about it.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,831
    I mean Brosnan met his Waterloo in DAD as it was at least instrumental in his retirement from the role.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Pity it was such a suck ass piece of crap as a Bond entry and it closed the book on the Brosnan era.

Which was one of the redeeming qualities about it.

Which is why it was its Waterloo. Something MR was not for Roger Moore.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I mean Brosnan met his Waterloo in DAD as it was at least instrumental in his retirement from the role.

I am starting to appreciate the film for that reason alone.
    SaintMark wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    Its hobbled the franchise. Lord knows what Tamahori was thinking.

Luckily it was the series' Waterloo

I now you folks dislike Brosnan and DAD but if you call it its Waterloo then LTK must be the Boston tea party as Americans threw out an Englishman that was not wanted.
    ;)

DAD was in its days critically positively accepted and now where as bad as some of you seem to like it.

QoB was a far poorer effort with not even a finished script or a decent director, and the editingskills of an ADHD patient.

Actually Timothy Dalton is Welsh. :)
    I may be splitting hairs here but of all the six Bond actors only two (Moore and Craig) are actually English. :)

Yeah you are splitting hairs throwing Dalton out of the series is the series Boston Tea party if Brosnan is Waterloo, after all Brosnan is Irish and not French,

:D

Sorry but the Boston Tea Party is not the same as Waterloo. Waterloo took France out the superpower stakes. It had the entire European continent gang up in it.

Ludovico wrote:

Was DAD instrumental for Brosnans retirement, it sound more like wishful reasoning. I feel that 9/11 and the succes of the Bourne movies were more instrumental than the financial success of DAD. Brosnan could easily have done a darker movie as he has proven quite often after DAD.
    It is my opinion that EON without Broccoli Sr has steered the boat in a sometimes TOO safe a way, they have not been original for some time.
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I now you folks dislike Brosnan and DAD but if you call it its Waterloo then LTK must be the Boston tea party as Americans threw out an Englishman that was not wanted.
    ;)

DAD was in its days critically positively accepted and now where as bad as some of you seem to like it.

QoB was a far poorer effort with not even a finished script or a decent director, and the editingskills of an ADHD patient.

I may be splitting hairs here but of all the six Bond actors only two (Moore and Craig) are actually English. :)

Yeah you are splitting hairs throwing Dalton out of the series is the series Boston Tea party if Brosnan is Waterloo, after all Brosnan is Irish and not French,

Sorry but the Boston Tea Party is not the same as Waterloo. Waterloo took France out the superpower stakes. It had the entire European continent gang up in it.

But then again the Boston Tea party made clear that the population (of the US) was not at all charmed about the people in charge, taxation without representation. Or in 007 words no money for that unsympathetic performer, we want another one. And after some time the in the US popular actor got the job.
    Politics again? Careful now!
    Politics again? Careful now!

history and comparison.

Nothing about the politics of the US and or France.
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

;)

But then again the Boston Tea party made clear that the population (of the US) was not at all charmed about the people in charge, taxation without representation. Or in 007 words no money for that unsympathetic performer, we want another one. And after some time the in the US popular actor got the job.

AAAaah your American. That explains your lousy take on the Napoleonic wars. The whole of Europe ganged up on Napleon. From Portugal to Russia.

The whole thing collapses. Rather like...

actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

;)

AAAaah your American. That explains your lousy take on the Napoleonic wars. The whole of Europe ganged up on Napleon. From Portugal to Russia.

No, he's Dutch.
    And the Napoleon bashing still goes on. I bet France wishes they had their Napoleon now, instead of that Hollandaise sauce excuse of a president. Nothing political of course, just comparative history musings.
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

;)

No, he's Dutch.

Well that is telling. ;)

I know of the Napoleonic wars and the influences he left behind on Europe and even my country, not all bad I must admit.
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

;)

No, he's Dutch.

I thought the Dutch were in on it. Considering their involvement.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Was DAD instrumental for Brosnans retirement, it sound more like wishful reasoning. I feel that 9/11 and the succes of the Bourne movies were more instrumental than the financial success of DAD. Brosnan could easily have done a darker movie as he has proven quite often after DAD.
    It is my opinion that EON without Broccoli Sr has steered the boat in a sometimes TOO safe a way, they have not been original for some time.

DAD was financially successful, but it had at the time very mixed reviews. 9/11 and the Bourne movies made DAD irrelevant, thus by proxy Brosnan. I don't think it was the only reason, not even the main reason, for his departure. Heck, his age alone may have been enough for his retirement. But it did play some role in it. And even if it did not... DAD was still his Waterloo: his last Bond movie, made irrelevant by events of the time and by other movies.
    And the Napoleon bashing still goes on. I bet France wishes they had their Napoleon now, instead of that Hollandaise sauce excuse of a president. Nothing political of course, just comparative history musings.

There's a bit of francophobia with people's dislike of Napoleon. Napoleon was not even French, he was Corsican. And, with all his flaws, an amazing man and maybe the greatest war leader in history.
    Ludovico wrote:

There's a bit of francophobia with people's dislike of Napoleon. Napoleon was not even French, he was Corsican. And, with all his flaws, an amazing man and maybe the greatest war leader in history.

Certainly a very interesting historical figure.
    DAD is one thing that none of the other films are.

Trashy.

Not a word I expect to use when discussing Bond.

"Ahm checkin' out"
    "Yo momma"
    "Bitch"
    "I don't like cock fights"
    Bond getting his rocks off

It's about as subtle as a brick through a plate glass window.

It's got a risible script, cgi and performances.

It feels like it was all shot on the pinewood backlot.

Sure Moonraker is daft, but at least it's likeable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well the phrase "Bitch." is also used in SF, and a lot of people liked the usage there.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well the phrase "Bitch." is also used in SF, and a lot of people liked the usage there.

And DAF, but in that case, it's god damned hilarious!
    Creasy47 wrote:

In SF? Do you mean in CR? In which case, the context is widely different.
    Matt007 wrote:
    DAD is one thing that none of the other films are.

Trashy.

Not a word I expect to use when discussing Bond.

"Ahm checkin' out"
    "Yo momma"
    "Bitch"
    "I don't like cock fights"
    Bond getting his rocks off

It's about as subtle as a brick through a plate glass window.

It's got a risible script, cgi and performances.

It feels like it was all shot on the pinewood backlot.

Sure Moonraker is daft, but at least it's likeable.

That sums it up perfectly. Eurotrash villain, vulgar puns, even more vulgar ending, a bimbo Moneypenny, everything is so darn wrong.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

In SF? Do you mean in CR? In which case, the context is widely different.

It's used in both CR and SF.

But you're right. It's all about context.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ludovico wrote:
    That sums it up perfectly. Eurotrash villain, vulgar puns, even more vulgar ending, a bimbo Moneypenny, everything is so darn wrong.
    Skyfall? Wait, or DAD? I'm confused; it could be either from this description...
    Bond calls M a bitch during the word association scene.
    Different context. Different delivery. Different films.
    Matt007 wrote:
    Different context. Different delivery. Different films.

I misread your comment, I was under the impression that 'bitch' was a word you didn't expect to hear when discussing Bond or something, hence why I pointed out it was used in another film. Ignore me.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Skyfall? Wait, or DAD? I'm confused; it could be either from this description...

DAD. And how would both.movies have the same description? Even if one dislikes both, how can SF have say a vulgar ending?
    The 'Bitch' word used in CR and SF works perfectly imo..as does M saying 'f***ed'..the moments they are used are appropriate .
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ludovico wrote:
    Even if one dislikes both, how can SF have say a vulgar ending?
    M's end is pretty vulgar IMHO.

Okay, I was just pokin' in response to the usual Brosnan hate, I'll admit.
    :-\"
    I don't hate Brosnan. I was actually a fan until DAD. Like I said, it was his Waterloo.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I don't hate Brosnan. I was actually a fan until DAD. Like I said, it was his Waterloo.

It was definitely some sort of loo.