DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I suppose I can understand the viewpoint, but I just find MR to be the stronger film in almost every regard.

Yes.

I haven't seen it for years, but I seem to remember it's mainly the lame comedy, often surrounding Jaws and Dolly, that lets it down. Had they left a lot of that cr*p out it would have been a lot better. Perhaps even a very decent movie.

I can't say the space stuff really bothers me too much. It definitely pushes the boundaries of plausibility, but the use of the space shuttles just about makes it believable. At the time the international space station was (I think) either on the cards or already in the process of being constructed, so the concept seemed within the realms of possibility.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is not so much that MR is stronger, but a case of DAD being weaker.
    ... MR is the less bad of the two?

For me, the simple presence of Sir Rog makes it a superior film to one featuring Pierce.
    I think also that the genuine dark moments in MR save it,eg,the Dobermans killing Corinne and the scientists choking to death in the laboratory after Bond leaves the phial on the side of the pod.

Also moments such as Jaws walking down the alleyway during the carnival,wearing that giant clown suit,in the shadows.
    barryt007 wrote:
    I think also that the genuine dark moments in MR save it,eg,the Dobermans killing Corinne and the scientists choking to death in the laboratory after Bond leaves the phial on the side of the pod.

Also moments such as Jaws walking down the alleyway during the carnival,wearing that giant clown suit,in the shadows.

Those are great moments actually.

Really there is no contest. MR is miles better than DAD.

I think I need to rewatch DAD. Having not seen it for years I have sort of come to accept the general consensus that it is rubbish, but I do seem to remember it having a lot of redeeming features - Ken Adam and a John Barry score being prime examples.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    It would be more interesting for you to watch MR again Getafix ;)

Actually im the opposite...i think i need to watch MR again,its been a hell of a long time .
    It's actually very solid as a production.

As a BOND FILM though I'm not sure. Some great cinematography and all that but the cartoony nature does undermine it. The use of Chukovsky when Jaws first sees Dolly is just awful.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    BAIN123 wrote:

As a BOND FILM though I'm not sure. Some great cinematography and all that but the cartoony nature does undermine it. The use of Chukovsky when Jaws first sees Dolly is [/b]just awful.

That's my problem...with the 'Dolly 'scenario and the Bondola and pigeon,i really hate it .
    No matter how bad DAD is,it doesnt have anything as bad as that,if you ignore the CGI tsunami shit.

barryt007 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

As a BOND FILM though I'm not sure. Some great cinematography and all that but the cartoony nature does undermine it. The use of Chukovsky when Jaws first sees Dolly is [/b]just awful.

That's my problem...with the 'Dolly 'scenario and the Bondola and pigeon,i really hate it .
    No matter how bad DAD is,it doesnt have anything as bad as that,if you ignore the CGI tsunami shit.

Yes it does. It has Halle Berry.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And Brosnan.
    Now now.... L-)
    Moore's one of the annoying things about MR.

"Seems to have an eye for a good investment"

Shut up :p
    And the invisible car!
    I think the 'light reflective car' (not invisible per se) beats the bloody Bondola !!
    Beats it in a good way or a bad way?
    In a good way IMO....
    barryt007 wrote:
    I think the 'light reflective car' (not invisible per se) beats the bloody Bondola !!

No it doesn't because the Bondola actually worked. It didn't need to rely on CGI. :-\"
    It's a close run thing.

But I do prefer 'real' special effects to CGI, even if they're totally daft.

OP's crocodile boat any one? Totally daft but all part of the fun and (just about) plausible. I'm sure the secret service have come up with crazier stuff than that over the years.

Do you remember that fake rock that MI6 used in Russia? Hilariously bad.
    I'd take the Bondola sequence, but even that had some stupid comedy.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd take the Bondola sequence, but even that had some stupid comedy.

Oh yeah, it's a terrible sequence but it's still better than an invisible car.
    barryt007 wrote:

No it doesn't because the Bondola actually worked. It didn't need to rely on CGI. :-\"

Yes it does....(this stupid pissing site wont let me get into the 'smilies' so just to let you know my comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek.)

Haven't seen it for donkeys years, but isn't the preceding gondola chase quite good?
    barryt007 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

Yes it does....

Hm let's see.

MR Special Effects team - construct an actual working vehicle.
    DAD Special Effects team - type something into a computer.
    I wonder at what cos the Bondola came to,adjusted by inflation,for a totally stupid pathetic scene,compared to a CGI car that led up to a great car battle on the lake...hmmm *scratches chin*.
    barryt007 wrote:
    I wonder at what cos the Bondola came to,for a totally stupid pathetic scene,compared to a CGI car that led up to a great car battle on the lake...hmmm *scratches chin*.

Sorry, what?
    The cost of building it etc ...im sure a CGI car is cheaper and was used better compared to creating the Bondola for one scene with double-take pigeons and waiters spilling drinks wouldnt you say ?

Anyway,i have to bail out for now- gotta train to catch.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    barryt007 wrote:
    The cost of building it etc ...im sure a CGI car is cheaper and was used better compared to creating the Bondola for one scene with double-take pigeons and waiters spilling drinks wouldnt you say ?

Anyway,i have to bail out for now- gotta train to catch.

I'm not saying the scene in St. Mark's Square isn't terrible because it is.

But this is about which is the better of the two vehicles rather than the scenes they featured in.

And since when were Bond films about CGI and not doing things (as much as possible) for real?

Imagine this scenario in 1977 had that technology been available...

"Hello Rick. Yeah mate, we're not going to have you ski off that mountain and have you freefall before opening your parachute, OK pal? We're gonna get a 12 year old to knock it up on a SEGA Megadrive instead to save us some cash."

That's why DAD gets the hate it so easily deserves.

It's a pretty depressing attitude to have regarding moden film making. I remember a story Martin Scorsese told when filming Gangs Of New York. George Lucas came to visit and he saw this beautiful set that the Art Department had constructed a replica of a 19th Century New York street. Lucas looked around it and said "You can do all this with green screen now though."

Just think about that.
    Can you do CGI on a Sega Megadrive?

I think you're showing your age!

I like the story from Scorsese. Lucas has turned into a complete lunatic. His CGI insertions into the original SW trilogy ruined the aesthetic of those otherwise beautifully made films. He has become a fool. At least he had the good sense and humility to flog the franchise.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Getafix wrote:
    Can you do CGI on a Sega Megadrive?

I think you're showing your age!

I like the story from Scorsese. Lucas has turned into a complete lunatic. His CGI insertions into the original SW trilogy ruined the aesthetic of those otherwise beautifully made films. He has become a fool. At least he had the good sense and humility to flog the franchise.

Whoever they hired for DAD certainly managed it! ;-)