Did Bond influence you to start smoking and/or drinking ?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Bond neither got me to smoke nor to drink. Caviare and Foie Gras, by contract, I have tasted my share of. ;-)

I like how in Bond's universe, those things are perfectly acceptable. But in real life, I'm fully aware that, unlike Bond, I'm not indestructible myself.

And Ian Fleming was not indestructible either of course. As John Pearson wrote in his biography of Fleming, James Bond had claimed his only flesh and blood victim.
    timmer wrote:
    Ah sooooooo. No, I don't like sake, dear Timmer. Or plum wine, alas; too sticky sweet, even for me. :)
    At least you've tried sake. I've never had the occasion, but I'd probably like it. I like most booze.
    "I like sake!" Sean Connery, with look of eager anticipation, in YOLT.

I've had sake...can't say it did much for me,like drinking warm liquid rice,it was very sickly as well.
    Let's just say it's an acquired taste....just not mine.

For me, sake works best in cooking, to be honest. (You can make some really good oriental sauces with it as a base). But then I have never had it served at the "correct temperature", as the "exceptionally cultivated Bondsan" did.
    I did @jobo and it didnt make a lot of difference tbh.
    I agree,if you are forced to use it,then use it in food,not that i would.

It struck me that Bond's tastes.in food and drinks are quite continental, and quite a good bit French.
    Ludovico wrote:
    It struck me that Bond's tastes.in food and drinks are quite continental, and quite a good bit French.

Not surprising given that in that era French cuisine was considered the acme of culinary achievement. It still is, for many people. That said, Bond also evinced a bit of British gustatory chauvinism as well.
    A bit yes, but it surprising and very unusual that he hates tea, for instance. Anyway, too often in the movies he's been pictured as a know it all and a snob when it comes to food and drinks. In the novels he actually has believable and limited tastes, if that makes sense.
    I never had the desire to drink much or to smoke, James Bond didn´t change that in the least.
    On the other hand, I´m not familiar with the shag life of Banshees, but James Bond did help me a lot to get over my shyness.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,639
    At least you've tried sake.

"Three more cups !" (Petrov , Fist of Fury)

Ever since a little boy I've hated the smell of cigs , I remember those summer vacations smelling cigs & coffee in the car , ugh.......makes me nauseaus.
    OK I'm not about to go out of my way to indulge sake anytime soon, but for sure if I ever find myself in Japan. When in Rome...............
    I drank sake once, in a literature class (really) where we were talking about Japanese literature. I didn't like it then, tasted too much like rice, I have no intention to drink it again.
    As far as drinking does, yes. Back when I worked as a cocktail bartender if a drink got a mention in a Bond film/book I gave it a try. But I'd never become a smoker no matter how cool Connery looked taking a drag.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Neither. I drink on special occasions. And the only cigarettes I touch are these novelty cigs for movies. :p I'll take smoking without the health risks any day.

fake-cigarettes-2-181845-p.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think I'm one of the only smokers on the forums. Happy to see you lads haven't gone down the same path.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think I'm one of the only smokers on the forums. Happy to see you lads haven't gone down the same path.

No you're not. :P
    Creasy47 wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one, Willy! :P
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Killing though is another matter... >:)
    Certainly more acceptable than smoking. Keep up the good work!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one, Willy! :P

I'm just off for a Dunhill care to join me ?.
    @Mrcoggins, absolutely! Sounds great to me.
    I am off for a cigarette break right now.
    We should have a smokers only thread. ;-)
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Killing though is another matter... >:)
    Certainly more acceptable than smoking. Keep up the good work!

I knew you would approve of this, @Thunderfinger! Well I am named after a serial killer after all and I do need to keep up appearances...
    You can do or say anything. I approve regardless.
    You can do or say anything. I approve regardless.

Thank you, friend. You have my equal unflinching support in anything you may say or do.

I'm thinking that's a good idea! I've wanted to start one in the past, but I thought it would be a conversation between me and me only.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I'm thinking that's a good idea! I've wanted to start one in the past, but I thought it would be a conversation between me and me only.
    I smoked for 14 years, so I could commiserate. btw I do have a fool-proof painless way for quitting.
    One goes at a very relaxed pace. Took me exactly one-year-and-10-months to ween myself off completely, with no relapse whatsoever.

@timmer, what is that way? I've been thinking about trying to quit, but I don't know.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I had one Martini in my life, didn't like it much. No offence, Bond.
    Birdleson wrote:
    I go in and out with cigarettes. Other kinds of smoking, about a 38 year old habit.

Wow, that was early, Birdleson. My dad never smoked reefer, but cigarettes from the age of seven. Those 1950s! Worse than the 60s.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @timmer, what is that way? I've been thinking about trying to quit, but I don't know.
    The goal is to become like a non-smoker. ie a non-smoker has no interest in cigs so there is no denial of anything they want.
    Problem most people have with quiting smoking is that they are denying themselves something that they still want, so all it takes is any anxious situation or even minor stress or weakness, and one reverts. However the non-smoker doesn't turn to cigs, when they are stressed etc, so the goal is to develop the non-smoker mindset over time, which can be done through brainwashing yourself.

Actually Tony Robbins general philosophy applies. Way back I listened to, I think maybe it was his first two tapes. That's all you have to listen to.
    Basically he says the human brain is motivated to both avoid pain and seek pleasure. Everything we do is in pursuit of one of those guiding general attitudes.
    But he says, the tendency to avoid pain is much stronger than the impetus to seek pleasure. Humans will always prioritize pain avoidance. The smoker regresses because withdrawal involves denial and thus "pain."
    Thus to quit, one has to be able to link pain with smoking, not pleasure.
    I'll continue later or maybe in a dedicated smoking thread.
    Anyway this system did work for me. When I had my last cigarette, I didn't even really want it. A smoking friend dragged me out for a butt. I only joined him to be social, but the actual cigarette had no appeal. It was then that I realized I was free, as I hadn't had one in two weeks prior, and haven't had one since.
    The Blofeld Piz Gloria brainwashing had taken effect. :)