Did Bond influence you to start smoking and/or drinking ?

123457»

Comments

Did Bond influence my drinking or smoking habits?

Smoking: No as I don't smoke. The only time I have ever thought of Bond in the rare instances I have smoked was when I puffed at a cigar during a wedding a few weeks ago. Brosnan from DAD did come to mind.
    drinking: Only when ordering a Vodka Martini, Vesper or Mojito (all of these have been rare instances).

I can't say Bond's vices have left a true mark on me.

Bond has appealed to me because of the action, adventure and fun within his world.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Cigars stink. A lot more than cigarettes.

They smell stronger. But cigarettes really smell and taste awful. Of course it's a question of taste but in any case cigarettes are now unglamorous.

I would say taste is the biggest difference for me. For me, cigars taste enjoyable whereas cigarettes taste as toxic as they are.

But yes, the smell of cigars is certainly potent.
    In any case cigars have still an aura of glamour. Cigarettes don't.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not a smoker myself, but I like the idea of Bond relishing a vice like tobacco. Even if it's beyond my own tastes and real world interest.

Wanted to share this passage as relevant.
    Colonel Sun, Robert Markham (Kingsley Amis), 1968.
    Chapter 4 - Love From Paris

...Sir Ranald beat the air with his hand. With another grimace of displeasure, he said to his Under-Secretary, 'Bushnell, get a window open, will you? The air in here isn't fit to breathe with three people chain-smoking.'

While the Under-Secretary hastened to obey, Bond was hiding a grin at the memory of having read somewhere that a hatred of tobacco was a common psychopathic symptom, from which Hitler among others had been a notable sufferer.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR44gb5544es4zsUpl1IAZeNvncpS8cjpGYNEOkRmqXm9uppxf93w
    There’s one important influence that’s been left off the list, I noticed, and that’s whether Bond influenced you to try as many female partners as humanly possible and be a total bounder. In other words, the three Fs. After all, Bond has never been renowned for being monogamous.
    bondsum wrote: »
    There’s one important influence that’s been left off the list, I noticed, and that’s whether Bond influenced you to try as many female partners as humanly possible and be a total bounder. In other words, the three Fs. After all, Bond has never been renowned for being monogamous.

Still a big fat no from me. Didn’t “pop my cherry” until nearly my mid 20s.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not a smoker myself, but I like the idea of Bond relishing a vice like tobacco. Even if it's beyond my own tastes and real world interest.

Wanted to share this passage as relevant.
    Colonel Sun, Robert Markham (Kingsley Amis), 1968.
    Chapter 4 - Love From Paris

...Sir Ranald beat the air with his hand. With another grimace of displeasure, he said to his Under-Secretary, 'Bushnell, get a window open, will you? The air in here isn't fit to breathe with three people chain-smoking.'

While the Under-Secretary hastened to obey, Bond was hiding a grin at the memory of having read somewhere that a hatred of tobacco was a common psychopathic symptom, from which Hitler among others had been a notable sufferer.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR44gb5544es4zsUpl1IAZeNvncpS8cjpGYNEOkRmqXm9uppxf93w

Hitler did start the trend that has been going on up until now, and escalating, to forbid everything the authorities frown upon, for whatever reason.