Did Bond influence you to start smoking and/or drinking ?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I quit both.

Well done. Not easy to do I'm sure.

Easier than you think.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I quit both.

Well done. Not easy to do I'm sure.

Easier than you think.

Really? How did you do it?
    Huh? You just quit, no hocus pocus.
    Huh? You just quit, no hocus pocus.

Simple as that. I see. It needs a lot of willpower I'm sure though. Not everybody can do it.
    It s all in the mind.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,803
    It s all in the mind.

Yes, that's a big part of it too - the psychological element. Mind over matter and all that jazz.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I had trouble doing so, and tried a couple of times. Then I happened to get bronchitis and that was a perfect opportunity to kick the habit. Once I recovered, that short period of withdrawal (mental and physical) was thankfully over. The trick is never to be tempted by a drag again (that's how I failed the first time I quit).
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Bond's smoking and drinking, is yes consistent with Fleming himself. Fleming liked such indulgences.
    I can totally relate. I quite enjoyed my 14 years of smoking. I quit age 31. No chance of relapsing, but in my 20's I was out almost every night, being social animal.
    I can't drink as much anymore. Lifestyle changes, no time, different social circles etc but I sure relate to Fleming and Bond, even though neither one influenced me in that regard.
    It just came naturally.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2016 Posts: 6,784
    I quite like the bon vivant aspect of the Bond novels and to an extend in the movies too. I appreciate good cuisine and fine wines. I also love to be well-dressed and I play golf as well. All of that goes back to the Bond films that I started loving when growing up.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    To the 40 somethings in this thread:
    Weight gain has also to do with age and it's getting more and more difficult to maintain the status quo.
    For the first time ever I lost my flat belly and gained lots of weight since 2015 to earlier this year.
    I started training again more frequently and since 8 weeks I'm at the gym daily even for 2 hours pushing weights.
    Now I almost have my Craigbond body back, no six-pack abs yet (the occasional pizza gets in the way).
    To be honest not sure I can manage to get them back, might be the age, I am 42 but hey, I am just glad I had the discipline to achieve what I have now.
    It's time consuming and lots of work but now more than ever I want to stay fit.
    Bond is a great motivation, especially Craig.
    I am the very same age (just turned 42 in October) and I agree with you - it's much harder to maintain a "Craigbond" body in comparison to what it's been like in the 20s or even 30s. Easily to see with Mr. Craig himself. It works fine for me though and with 3 gym sessions and healthy eating habits I am able to keep myself in a QoS-Craig-like shape. He's a good role model for me since he's just a bit taller than I am and was around my current age when filming QoS. IMHO it makes no sense to have a role model in form of a "youngster" - the body changes a lot once you approach 40 ...

So I never started drinking or smoking the way Bond was shown - however I do mix a (Vesper) Martini on rare occasions
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I started smoking when I was 12 years old (well over a decade ago) and I recently quit. I'm four months off them now. Don't think Bond had anything to do with that.

As for drinking, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to booze but I tried a Martini once and it was nasty so I don't think Bond had much influence there either!
    Bond is a conoisseur, so how come he drinks those ghastly Martinis?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    To the 40 somethings in this thread:
    Weight gain has also to do with age and it's getting more and more difficult to maintain the status quo.
    For the first time ever I lost my flat belly and gained lots of weight since 2015 to earlier this year.
    I started training again more frequently and since 8 weeks I'm at the gym daily even for 2 hours pushing weights.
    Now I almost have my Craigbond body back, no six-pack abs yet (the occasional pizza gets in the way).
    To be honest not sure I can manage to get them back, might be the age, I am 42 but hey, I am just glad I had the discipline to achieve what I have now.
    It's time consuming and lots of work but now more than ever I want to stay fit.
    Bond is a great motivation, especially Craig.
    I am the very same age (just turned 42 in October) and I agree with you - it's much harder to maintain a "Craigbond" body in comparison to what it's been like in the 20s or even 30s. Easily to see with Mr. Craig himself. It works fine for me though and with 3 gym sessions and healthy eating habits I am able to keep myself in a QoS-Craig-like shape. He's a good role model for me since he's just a bit taller than I am and was around my current age when filming QoS. IMHO it makes no sense to have a role model in form of a "youngster" - the body changes a lot once you approach 40 ...

So I never started drinking or smoking the way Bond was shown - however I do mix a (Vesper) Martini on rare occasions

I never had to worry about weight UNTIL 40 and it kind of snuck up on me. Saw my pic in the paper and I was shocked :( ...since then I try but despite what I do I'm still just a chubby 48 year old guy ...sucks.

And I blame Bond ...totally Bond's fault. Also Logan's and P&W's.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,756
    Honestly I have to say yes. I've bought Taittinger because of Fleming, and have gotten into various Scotches because I knew Bond liked Scotch. I enjoy scotch and club soda, but neat is disgusting. I'm sorry. I really tried hard to like it: I just barely finished a bottle of Lagavulin and Glenlivet. I tried numerous times to approach it but everytime I was just disgusted.

My drink of choice will always be wine. Been drinking it since I was little (Italian family).
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Drinking scotch neat is an acquired taste, I think.
    I haven't quite mastered it. I inevitably reach for the rocks and soda, no matter how good the Scotch.
    Maybe I'll work on accomodating scotch-rocks over the holidays.
    I will say Fleming and Bond has influenced my choice of drinks.
    I do like to shake up some martinis. Good stiff drink.
    Bond shakes, so I shake. Fleming knew his booze, so he and Bond are good ones to take tips from.
    Even modern Bond. It's all rooted in Fleming.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Definitely Vespers.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Nope. I'm a die-hard non smoker, but I'd like to make a vodka Martini STIRRED NOT SHAKEN as the old Make Mine a 007 site suggested - if memory doesn't fail me - this Christmas.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Smoking, no. Drinking? Martinis, yes. :)
    It is Dalton s fault that @Birdleson is taking up smoking again. Cigarettes, that is.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well, what funny threads are being dug up from the past. Just to get this straight for myself: No, Bond had no bearing on my drinking habits. While it may be argued that I (as well as my wife, who insists on getting an equal share every night) drink too much, this started possibly before I ever saw my first Bond movie, or at least not because of it. And as for the drinks themselves, the only time we actually ordered a vodka martini, shaken not stirred, was in London after the public premiere of SF, and a "Vesper" at the premiere of SP in Hamburg. For the obvious reason, not as part of an addiction.

For all practical purposes, I never smoked...except maybe 20 cigarettes or so in my whole life (NOT daily. The entire time.) The last cigarette I recall was over 41 years ago, when I was on stand-by duty over Christmas during my (mandatory) army service in 1976. So no, Bond didn't influence me in that, either. And kissing women who are smokers is like licking out an ashtray, so there you go: "Filthy habit."
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bond was the reason I tried (and adore) Vodka Martinis, yes-- shaken very well.

When not in use, I keep the bottle, the shaker and the glassware in the freezer.

I fill up the shaker with tons of ice. Three fingers of vodka (my favourite vodkas: Stoli, Grey Goose, Belvedere). Shake it hard.

Let it sit.

Take out the iced glass.

Slice a strip of lemon peel. Rub the edges of the glass with it. Twist and drop in the bottom of the glass.

Shake the martini again and pour into glass.

I try and create little ice particles floating on top of my drink from this process... Yum and yum.

I will not trust myself to make a Vesper and will go to some cool joints in Toronto for one of them-- and they are great... Aromatic... Very smooth. And the first time I tried two in a row I got very drunk.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Did he influence me to start drinking? Not really since I already drank at a very young age. That explains so much lol. I've yet to try a martini though. That's definitely on my bucket list.

I've only smoked once. Not really my style but I definitely want Bond to smoke again. It just looks right.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Bond should smoke 80 a day, cough his lungs up and spit blood.
    But of course. Because of Bond I'm now an alcoholic and smoke like a chimney.

Not really. But I do drink a bit too often and smoke a bit too much.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,086
    Watching Craig try and be suave in SP made me reach for the bottle. ;)
    Watching Craig try and be suave in SP made me reach for the bottle. ;)

Hahahaha! :))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bond has certainly influenced me in the drinking of Vespers, Taittinger and Dom Perignon. I’m less keen on Bollinger for the same I’m less keen on Omega over Rolex - these are product placement deals and not from Fleming.

Never smoked though as my fear of cancer outweighs looking cool.

This sheep like following of Bondian tastes extends to food too as I do have Beluga once a year (mainly at the missus’ instigation to be fair) and smoked salmon quite a lot. I do like a nice bit of foie gras too, although the only time Bond consumes this that I can actually recall is NSNA.

Also saw bone marrow on a menu once in Budapest and obviously had to order it have a taste of what M was banging on about in MR. It was just nothing. Like a fatty sludge that you were supposed to spread on toast. I’m sure M’s was better.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,086
    I recommend the Phuyuck '74 with fish.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Is Phuyuck real does anyone know or was it just created for a cheap gag?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It did come off as a cheap gag. Not in a bad way, just not convenient for a Bond. It's something you'd see in an Austin Powers film more so than a Bond film. Don't know if such thing exists, but it did seem as if someone was taking the piss.

EDIT:
    Apparently, it's fake:
    https://www.bondmovies.com/2016/10/07/phu-yuck/

Someone was taking the piss. :))