Would you accept a black Bond?

1568101120

Comments

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,728
    @thelivingroyale, so you know, this is just a joke so we can para-quote cool lines. I know you meant nothing negative with this. And I'm actually astounded at how civil your thread has turned out!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    NicNac wrote:
    It's interesting that the thread is titled 'Would you accept a black Bond?' as opposed to 'Should Bond be black' or 'Will a black actor ever play Bond?'

    As it stands it's prodding at us with the racism stick, even though our reasons for not accepting a black Bond would probably be the same as our reasons for not accepting a white American Bond

    What does that even mean? I chose the title because that's why I started the thread, to see how many would accept it after I read that poll, to gauge the sites reaction (which is why I asked if a poll could be set up). Not because I have some hidden agenda where I'm trying to make everyone out to be racist.

    Yeah, it's actually a good title and to the point.
    But it seems the Quantum/Carver group are having a bit of fun now ... ;)

    I find it interesting that the thread has managed to be open this long. That's at least a little progress.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,728
    But it seems the Quantum/Carver group are having a bit of fun now ... ;)

    I blame myself. :P
  • Posts: 1,548
    RC7 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    I have some hidden agenda

    It seems a small crisis is brewing in the accept black Bond thread! I want full newspaper coverage, I want magazine stories, I books, I want films, I want TV, I want radio, I want us on the air 24 hours a day, this is our moment! And a thousand people around this site will watch it, hear it, and read about it from thelivingroyale Media Group!

    Oh yes, we know your plan... ;)

    'There's no news, like black news'.

    Very good


  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,548
    If this happens maybe EON can remake Live and Let Die with a white Mr Big?
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    LeChiffre wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    I have some hidden agenda

    It seems a small crisis is brewing in the accept black Bond thread! I want full newspaper coverage, I want magazine stories, I books, I want films, I want TV, I want radio, I want us on the air 24 hours a day, this is our moment! And a thousand people around this site will watch it, hear it, and read about it from thelivingroyale Media Group!

    Oh yes, we know your plan... ;)

    'There's no news, like black news'.

    Very good


    I'm unsure whether you get the irony of this, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,015
    There's already one PC move that was made to strip Bond from one of his main defining characteristics in Fleming's books.

    Fleming books were written at a time when you could see ads like this :

    smoking.jpg
    LuckyStrikeDoctor.jpg

    now in the movies, except for one cigar in DAD, it's been 25 years since Bond's last cigarette, and the laugh of the crowd in the theather when the big tobacco warning was shown in the credits in LTK.

    Fleming's fifties Bond was smoking a cigarette every 10 minutes or so. People are very well accepting now he quitted smoking in the movies. Fleming's Bond is not so sure he can swim long distances because of his cigarettes, while Skyfall's Bond is shaping his body for hours, quite the opposite of the spectrum. I think Moore is probably closer to Fleming's Bond than Craig from this perspective. And yet, ripped Craig is considered by many close to Fleming's Bond. Here even a "fat Bond" is given as an example of something one can not imagine. Even though Fleming's Bond would be called "fat" when compared to Craig I think...

    So, even purists have now adapted their point of view to the current PCness that a hero should not smoke :) Masculinity does not mean anymore you should act like the Marlboro cowboy, but well you have to be ripped... It took 40 years for this to evolve, but now I think anyone claiming "Bond should smoke during the whole movie and have some body fat or I will boycott the movie" would be looked at quite weirdly. It may happen with the color of skin too at some point in the future, who knows...




    In OSS117 Nest of Spies, Dujardin's OSS117 is frustrated he doesn't like smoking. He says he'll have another try to start smoking.
  • well, technically speaking and analyzing facts from Ian Fleming's books and charecterization ...Bond is a typically white blonde agent ..... honestly speaking its not advisable to make such a big change from white to black ....utterly foolish ....not acceptable maybe ....and Idris Elba is ageing fast which also doesnt make him a good choice.........im not being racist......but a black Bond wud not be an innovation...but a major blunder...its like MURDERING the soul charecter completely ....im cool wid moneypenny being played by Naomi Harris....but not James
  • Bond wasn't written as a black, so he shouldn't be black. The movies should at least be somewhat faithful to Fleming's writings and intentions.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    well, technically speaking and analyzing facts from Ian Fleming's books and charecterization ...Bond is a typically white blonde agent

    You sort of lose any credibility when you say that Fleming's Bond was blonde.
    chrisisall wrote:
    And I'm actually astounded at how civil your thread has turned out!

    Yeah I think it's turned out quite well. No real arguments and we're 8 pages in, I think that's progress. There's only one member who's acting like a knobhead and we've all done a pretty good job of ignoring him.
  • Posts: 7,653
    Yeah I think it's turned out quite well. No real arguments and we're 8 pages in, I think that's progress. There's only one member who's acting like a knobhead and we've all done a pretty good job of ignoring him.

    But then again this whole thread is not really a discussion, just some people that want to see a black Bond, which is rather racist as they kindly ignore all other races, and are in no way open for a great Chinese actor, or a Polynessian actor that is brillaint, etc. He seems to need to be black.

    While I always am in favor of writing stuff that I would dare to say in somebody his or her face, even earlier discussions on this subject were more active but hardly more unfriendly just a tad more passionate.

    I think the more passionate people have heard most reasonings for a coloured 007 and will no longer enter the discussion as they consider the outcoming predictable: it will most certainly not happen for the foreseeable future and simply because of the allmighty Box Office. And the studios have shown how little risk they are willing to take with a sure moneymaker, a Blond Bond was a big risk enough and payed off. Realisticly in our current society a coloured 007 is still a few bridges too far.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,728
    SaintMark wrote:
    But then again this whole thread is not really a discussion, just some people that want to see a black Bond

    Honestly, I don't think that was the thrust of this particular thread. It was more about could you accept one. I really haven't seen anyone say they WANTED a black Bond, just that, given the right awesome Brit black actor, it might work fine.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    chrisisall wrote:
    Honestly, I don't think that was the thrust of this particular thread. It was more about could you accept one. I really haven't seen anyone say they WANTED a black Bond, just that, given the right awesome Brit black actor, it might work fine.

    That might have been the original question, but if you said you did NOT want that you were called backwards.
    So in essence it was a thread about who was in certain eyes moraly more sound?

  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,489
    LeChiffre wrote:
    If this happens maybe EON can remake Live and Let Die with a white Mr Big?

    Mr White will do just fine.
  • 001001
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,575
    The question of "Would you accept a black Bond?" is a seriously flawed one.

    What do you mean by "black bond"?
    His skin color? as opposed to a "white bond"?
    Well there has never been a white man as bond.I haven't seen too many people with white skin..........Was Connery and the other bonds white? or was there skin color pale, or whatever you want to call it and not white as so many generations of people seem to call people with a much lighter shade of black or brown.

    Now are you asking "Would you accept a black Bond?"what just black skin?,or also dark brown skin?,light brown skin? e.t.c

    So maybe you should rephrase your question as to what you are asking?

    This black man, white man stuff has caused human beings to do stupid things over time to each other.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,574
    NicNac wrote:
    It's interesting that the thread is titled 'Would you accept a black Bond?' as opposed to 'Should Bond be black' or 'Will a black actor ever play Bond?'

    As it stands it's prodding at us with the racism stick, even though our reasons for not accepting a black Bond would probably be the same as our reasons for not accepting a white American Bond

    What does that even mean? I chose the title because that's why I started the thread, to see how many would accept it after I read that poll, to gauge the sites reaction (which is why I asked if a poll could be set up). Not because I have some hidden agenda where I'm trying to make everyone out to be racist.

    No, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to prompt any racist remarks, or were airing your own views. I like the thread title, it's a slightly different spin on an old thread idea.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    SaintMark wrote:
    which is rather racist as they kindly ignore all other races, and are in no way open for a great Chinese actor, or a Polynessian actor that is brillaint, etc. He seems to need to be black.

    I'd be fine with an Asian Bond too (for the same reasons I've mentioned about a black Bond), but a black Bond seems more likely, and the whole reason I started this thread was because of that poll which Idris Elba (a black actor) won. So a Chinese actor playing Bond wasn't on my mind when I started this thread which is why I haven't discussed it.

    I could start an Asian Bond thread too if you want to discuss that? But then I'm sure if I did that you'd complain, saying it's too PC.
  • 001001
    Posts: 1,575

    SaintMark wrote:
    which is rather racist as they kindly ignore all other races, and are in no way open for a great Chinese actor, or a Polynessian actor that is brillaint, etc. He seems to need to be black.

    I'd be fine with an Asian Bond too (for the same reasons I've mentioned about a black Bond), but a black Bond seems more likely, and the whole reason I started this thread was because of that poll which Idris Elba (a black actor) won. So a Chinese actor playing Bond wasn't on my mind when I started this thread which is why I haven't discussed it.

    I could start an Asian Bond thread too if you want to discuss that? But then I'm sure if I did that you'd complain, saying it's too PC.

    "Idris Elba (a black actor) " Why do you say he is "black" because his skin color seems to be brown from the photos i've seen of him?

  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,340
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,728
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    No, because then it'd be like "Different from who? Me? Obama?". :))
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,340
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I only bring it up because of the post left by 001 above mine.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Murdock wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I only bring it up because of the post left by 001 above mine.

    I'm confused. Are we defining people by a Dulux colour chart?
    Offensive language removed by mod.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,340
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I only bring it up because of the post left by 001 above mine.

    I'm confused. Are we defining people by a Dulux colour chart?
    Offensive language removed by mod.

    Hell if I know. I'm just here for the debate. :))
  • 001001
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,575
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I only bring it up because of the post left by 001 above mine.

    I'm confused. Are we defining people by a Dulux colour chart?
    Offensive language removed by mod.

    RC7 stop acting like a TROLL, or are you one?
    And stop using the F word and behave like a sane person...........


  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,728
    Back in 2001 when they released pictures of Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker I was all like, "No way! Peter Parker has BROWN eyes!!!" :D
  • Posts: 14,911
    chrisisall wrote:
    Back in 2001 when they released pictures of Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker I was all like, "No way! Peter Parker has BROWN eyes!!!" :D

    I never noticed. Peter Parker is the most average looking superhero when he is not in costume: an average height, average frame white guy with brown hair.

    But I am off topic.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    001 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I only bring it up because of the post left by 001 above mine.

    I'm confused. Are we defining people by a Dulux colour chart?
    Offensive language removed by mod.

    RC7 stop acting like a TROLL, or are you one?
    And stop using the F word and behave like a sane person...........


    Stop being a moron.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @001 What the heck are you on aboutt? I'm a bit drunk so maybe I've misread or something bu
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I think you're spot on here. Great post.

    Mod Edit - You've been warned about this before. Offensive language is not acceptable.
  • 001001
    Posts: 1,575
    RC7 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

    In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

    I only bring it up because of the post left by 001 above mine.

    I'm confused. Are we defining people by a Dulux colour chart?
    Offensive language removed by mod.

    RC7 stop acting like a TROLL, or are you one?
    And stop using the F word and behave like a sane person...........


    Stop being a moron.

    Very mature............
    Have you been chasing parked cars again? :)

This discussion has been closed.