Would you accept a black Bond?

Comments

edited March 2014 Posts: 1,575
    @001 What the heck are you on aboutt? I'm a bit drunk so maybe I've misread or something bu
    RC7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I think a more better title for this would be "Would you accept a Bond with different ethnicity?"

In the UK, the black community is very active and relevant in popular culture. There are many black and mixed raced individuals behind and in front of the camera. There are also many unifying factors between the two races. Music, Religion, Politics etc. Trying to compare the Chinese or, hilariously, Polynesians, is ridiculous. There is a distinct reason why the idea of a black Bond is so prevalent. Simply, there are a lot of black and white Brits who are very similar, differing only in colour. Many other races bring baggage not associated with Bond.

I think you're spot on here. Great post.

Why do you and a lot of people around the world call caucasion people white?
    And why do you and a lot of people around the world call everyone with dark skin or from africa black.

Do you understand that? it's a term (black or white) that everyone should stop using,judgeing people like this.

Get a white piece of paper and compare it with your skin color if you are caucasion .
    Can you see the difference. Maybe sober up first. :)

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm getting a sense of deja vu here. And it always happens when we start discussions regarding a black James Bond, or racial discussion.
    It's fine to discuss, and debate. I have no problem with that. The issue comes from one or two not being able to discuss or debate the matter in a civil manner.
    When discussions start getting flagged, and it's the same discussion getting flagged, then it sets alarm bells off.
    Wipe the slate clean, give it a rest with anymore personal attacks and continue in a more civil manner.
    I don't want a mass of PM's saying he started it, it's so and so's fault. There is no one guilty party who should be punished, though there are one or two who need to tone it down considerably though.
    End of rant.
    Thank you for your time.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    This page has become, frankly, asinine and juvenile.
    Thanks, Benny, for stepping in.
    This thread has amazingly survived until now but the clock is ticking. Nobody enjoys coming to a thread and find this kind of crap, not just bad language but petty name calling and ranting. This is not only why some threads get closed but also why decent members get soured about threads.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yes, this thread has pretty much run its course, but I'm still amazed at the level of civility throughout this PARTICULAR one.
    BUT, once the points were made, the F word gets employed by those who get all heated over a theoretical.
    I remember in school the popular way to start a fight was "I *slept with* your Mom last night." And it worked, because it fed on insecurity. My response was always a dead stare and a walk away.
    People need to feel less threatened by what they consider to be nonsense.
    Then we wouldn't have these necessary thread closings. :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, you lot carried this discussion to a whole 9 pages, and the thread hasn't been closed down yet. I wish I had some cookies to pass around.
    Drinks all around!
    jacksparrow10-1.gif
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,015
    SaintMark wrote:
    Realisticly in our current society a coloured 007 is still a few bridges too far.
    Imagine the Chinese box office in 10 years turns out to love one or two Black US actors, and you may have a change of mood of the industry about this matter faster than you think... The Chinese BO is expected to explode, the US market could be soon only 10/15% of the worldwide box office who knows.

edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Imagine the Chinese box office in 10 years turns out to love one or two Black US actors, and you may have a change of mood of the industry about this matter faster than you think...
    Not caring too much here- I already got my favourite Bond movies, let TPTB have at messing about with it.
  • Well, about the change of the movie industry towards non-White actors.

in 1962, to play Dr No, they relied on make-up and cast Joseph Wiseman.

joseph-wiseman.jpg

nowadays, I think they would cast an actor from asian descent at least.

Birdleson wrote:
    Yes, it would be as ridiculous as a white person playing an American Indian these days.

Johnny Depp slam!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,331
    And don't forget Ben Kingsley played the Mandarin (Asian) and Gandhi. (Indian.)
    Umm, is it possible to get some non-caucasian-like guys to play non-caucasians...? :-?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Murdock wrote:

(Iron Man 3 spoilers ahead)
    All Kinglsey played in Iron Man 3 was a British actor, though. The Mandarin was just another role.
  • Well it shows that American Indian people have even more work to do than Black people to be accepted by an US audience. Hence why the topic is more about a Black Bond than a American Indian Bond.
    Birdleson wrote:
    That was the irony implied.
    Not 'implied' now that you confirmed it! :-<
    Benny wrote:
    Wow this old chestnut. Again.
    Aren't we tired of going over this same ground again and again? Does it get us anywhere?
    I have no issue with anyone's skin colour. Caucasian Bond, Asian Bond, Black Bond et all. But I do wonder why. To paraphrase Elliot Carver in TND, the key to a great story is, not what, who or when. But why?
    Why would we need to change the look of Bond? By changing his skin colour or even sex will it make the character better? Does it give Bond depth and a greater appeal, by making him black?
    It doesn't bother me enough to lose sleep over it. But I wonder why we even discuss it. Even hypothetically, what will it achieve?

Great post. I wholeheartdly agree 100%.
    Murdock wrote:

But Kingsley looks foreign, or can look foreign, with the right makeup (maybe not like the Mandarin though). I think he looked enough like Gandhi. Many actors have the right look to play characters from very different backgrounds. Ciaran Hinds can easily play an Irishman and a Brit, he was also a convincing Julius Caesar and could play a Mediterranean easily (it is true that he has an Italian mother). Christopher Lee struggled at first to find acting work because he was deemed too foreign looking, and truly enough this now british household played plenty of foreigners: Transylvanian undead, Pakistani leader, Fu Manchu, Indian, Russian, etc. Again, he had plenty of foreign blood in him, so that might explain it.

Same goes with Joseph Wiseman. Dr No was a mixed race anyway, so it is not far fetched that he looked more white than Chinese.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Um, clearly many of you are unaware that Ben Kingsly's biological father is an African Indian.
    Ha! Now 'Annie" is black!

Racists are going to hate this! :))

This is payback for casting a white guy instead of Bruce Lee as Kwai-Chang Caine...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    And the cast of Noah and Exodus based on real life historical figures have been completely white washed and yet who's complaining?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    With the new Annie they could have given the kid some red hair, the Gingers get knocked here. ;)
    Did they take this black kid idea from Boston Legal??

And as for Exodus, it has a great soundtrack and I am not sure what ethnisity has wriiten it but I like it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We have steered very far away from the topic of this thread. I'm about to earn back the money I bet on this horse. :D
    I don't believe I'll see a black Bond in my lifetime. But a few decades ago I said the same thing about a black President.... :-?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    We have steered very far away from the topic of this thread. I'm about to earn back the money I bet on this horse. :D

I was under the impression that this figurative "race" was over @Dimi, seeing as this thread has been beating a dead horse since its inception.
    Well, my last comment was my last actual on topic comment- I really don't know what more there is to say here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nothing. I think @Benny phrased it best a few pages back. In the end, what's the point? What is there to gain?
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,331
    I think we could broaden the topic to other characters. Like make it a discussion to characters who have had a change in race and whether it worked or not. Tackle a bigger issue.

Murdock wrote:
    I think we could broaden the topic to other characters. Like make it a discussion to characters who have had a change in race and whether it worked or not. Tackle a bigger issue.

Then the shouting will start about whether or not changes like Moneypenny's skin color in Skyfall were politcally correct or not, causing chaos once again.

I love this community and its diverse members; I think everyone here knows that, but to be frank, we aren't the greatest at debating religion, politics and race with each other. The situation always ends with hurt feelings and locked threads that never really accomplished anything.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ten pages of this particular topic, relevant to the thread's title, so maybe it has run its course - and I am amazed it made it to ten pages, actually. I think if folks want to have other ethnic discussions or other issues it just needs to be on another thread.
    Well I'm not talking just characters in the Bond universe. But Characters in movies and TV altogether.
This discussion has been closed.