Would you accept a black Bond?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wonder, @Murdock, if those discussions, while potentially interesting, aren't simply going to result in the same arguments being chewed out by the same hotheads. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I wonder, @Murdock, if those discussions, while potentially interesting, aren't simply going to result in the same arguments being chewed out by the same hotheads. ;-)

To be honest I really wouldn't care about coloured actors taking up previously white parts with the exception of my beloved Simon Templar, The Shadow, James Bond & Tintin.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:

@DarthDimi, I think if we broaden the topic to other characters besides Bond, It might calm things.

I guess I'm biased towards Bond because since I was a child Bond has been part of my life, made me who I am today. I don't want that to change. IMO. But like other characters that it has happened too. Like say Nick Fury. I'm okay with that because I was never really a comic book buff.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, Nick Fury was changed right at the start of Marvel's ultimate line back in late 99/2000 and was intentionally based on the Sam Jackson's badass look from Shaft. The ultimate line have made various other changes to Marvel's 616 and interestingly enough more often than not, said changes work as updates to an alternate timeline/universe which serves, at the time a contemporary updating of classic characters and stories and as it turns out, the majority if Marvel's movies have drawn most of it's inspiration from the ultimate line more so than the traditional 616 universe.
    The Samuel L. Jackson is a step up from the Baywatch Mitch Buchcannon version of NicK Fury. I think anything by David Hasselhoff stands a big chance of improvement by anybody else................
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Um, clearly many of you are unaware that Ben Kingsly's biological father is an African Indian.
    So it seems many will accept a mixed race actor as long as they're not aware of it. Otherwise, it's too politically correct :)
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Then the shouting will start about whether or not changes like Moneypenny's skin color in Skyfall were politcally correct or not, causing chaos once again.

The fact Bond has quit smoking is creating no chaos here, even though it's political correctness at its best/worst...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Fix your quote. Those aren't my comments in that last post.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Um, clearly many of you are unaware that Ben Kingsly's biological father is an African Indian.

I thought he was Jewish.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:
    the same arguments being chewed out by the same hotheads. ;-)

I shall attempt to chill. :P

I think major changes in major characters are always a chancy thing. In the upcoming Fantastic Four movie, for instance, Johnny Storm will be portrayed by a black actor, whilst his sister Sue will be played by a white actress-?!?!?!?! Now, I'm enough of a fan to say I don't think Johnny should be black, but I'm not totally against the idea either. But for GOSH sake, make Sue black too!!! Oh, see, then you have Reed, a white dude married to a strong black woman, and the team is half black & half white, and that's just too much colour in one team for general demographic acceptance I conjure...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, the whole Johnny/Sue debacle for the 'Fantastic Four' reboot pisses me off because it makes absolutely no sense.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote:
    In the upcoming Fantastic Four movie, for instance, Johnny Storm will be portrayed by a black actor, whilst his sister Sue will be played by a white actress-?!?!?!?! Now, I'm enough of a fan to say I don't think Johnny should be black, but I'm not totally against the idea either. But for GOSH sake, make Sue black too!!! Oh, see, then you have Reed, a white dude married to a strong black woman, and the team is half black & half white, and that's just too much colour in one team for general demographic acceptance I conjure...

I guess mixed-race parents or adoption are in no way possible. I'm not happy with the idea of Black Human Torch, but I'll wait until I see a trailer before I go on to say "pisses me off", much like I did with the RoboCop remake.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @chrisisall, the whole Johnny/Sue debacle for the 'Fantastic Four' reboot pisses me off because it makes absolutely no sense.
    Yeah, that kinda smacks of racial stunt casting.
    :-w
    @Agent007391, at least you agree, in a way, that it doesn't make much sense.
    How would filmgoers accept a darker skinned (i use this instead of black, which i don't think is correct) Superman,spiderman e.t.c?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    001 wrote:
    How would filmgoers accept a darker skinned (i use this instead of black, which i don't think is correct) Superman,spiderman e.t.c?

Superman maybe. Spiderman sure.
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    the same arguments being chewed out by the same hotheads. ;-)

I shall attempt to chill. :P

I think major changes in major characters are always a chancy thing. In the upcoming Fantastic Four movie, for instance, Johnny Storm will be portrayed by a black actor, whilst his sister Sue will be played by a white actress-?!?!?!?! Now, I'm enough of a fan to say I don't think Johnny should be black, but I'm not totally against the idea either. But for GOSH sake, make Sue black too!!! Oh, see, then you have Reed, a white dude married to a strong black woman, and the team is half black & half white, and that's just too much colour in one team for general demographic acceptance I conjure...

This is beyond stupid. Not merely stunt casting, just plain dumb. And I hated the first Fantastic Four movie, I was glad they'd reboot this franchise, I think it was necessary. But I guess they can't get it right.
    For ME (and I think this is probably JUST me) I want to see the characters the way I got to know & love them initially.
    Another example: When The X-Men was announced, and Halle Berry was set to be Storm my first thought was great choice, but I hope they make her a little darker for the role.
    Does that make me a reverse reverse racist? :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Fantastic Four thing has me a tad confused as well. I agree with what @chrisisall said a while back: If you're going to make Johnny black, then make Sue black too. Now the film will have to spend an excruciatingly unnecessary amount of time explaining how Johnny and Sue came to be together either through adoption as kids or what have you, when the filmmakers could just make both characters black, saving time for important plot moving beats in the story. There is plenty of brilliant black actresses out there to bring Sue to brilliant life as well, so I must say this choice has me baffled, unless the filmmakers are trying to make a symbolic statement about family and the love we can share though we may sometimes have different backgrounds and skin colors. A bit grandiose and hard-hitting for a fun superhero flick, but okay...
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's not the time they'll have to take explaining it that bothers me, it's what 'plausible excuse' they'll come up with. Make them both white or both black. When I hear of a film/reboot coming along that can't grasp the most basic of background stories, I'm worried.
    Maybe they're not brother & sister, and just happen to have the same last name in this new version. ~X(
    chrisisall wrote:
    For ME (and I think this is probably JUST me) I want to see the characters the way I got to know & love them initially.
    Another example: When The X-Men was announced, and Halle Berry was set to be Storm my first thought was great choice, but I hope they make her a little darker for the role.
    Does that make me a reverse reverse racist? :))

I thought the same: Halle Berry did not look, does not look African at all. She sometimes looks borderline white, come to think of it. A lot of Storm's fans thought it was poor casting at the time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Funny how this thread has turned into a FF thread. Maybe Reed is her brother and Johnny her husband this time?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Funny how this thread has turned into a FF thread. Maybe Reed is her brother and Johnny her husband this time?

That's even worse. Don't jinx this further!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Really curious myself. Seeing how young the new Reed is, he could well be her kid brother. Who knows? Not sure which is worse.
    Would you accept a white bond instead of a Caucasion bond.? Use the liquid paper white color on his face and body which they could do with makeup or cgi... :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just by the way, in general, the words "white" and "black" are still acceptable for discussions and conversations, without implied racism. They have been acceptable terms for many years.
    Mrs. chrisisall says that (especially in superhero & sci-fi movies) we should be 100% colourblind. People are people; just pick the best actor & give an equal chance to all.

In the future when all people on this planet are a sort of light/medium brown, IMO this won't be an issue. \:D/
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,575
    Just by the way, in general, the words "white" and "black" are still acceptable for discussions and conversations, without implied racism. They have been acceptable terms for many years.

Why do you say they are acceptable 4EverBonded? Some other words were acceptable for years but they don't use them anymore....

It's 2014 and haven't we moved on? I'm not saying whether the words are racist or not, but it sounds so juvenile calling someone with light skin "white" and vice versa.

Don't they call people from america, african-american now instead of black.

Better than having members at one another's throats over racism.
This discussion has been closed.