True Detective (2014 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, eagle-eyed viewers will notice that Pizzolatto went out of his way to trash Fukunaga in season two, and there have been reports of them having issues with one another for a long while now. I'm not sure if that's why Fukunaga didn't return or if he only had plans for one season, but I do know that the work as a team was much more fluid and competent for the first season than it was on the second one.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    That is all disappointing to read, truly. I esp. loved the writing in season 1 (not to mention the two phenomenal lead actors) and the direction by Fukunaga. I'm pretty pissed off they had issues with each other. :(
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, eagle-eyed viewers will notice that Pizzolatto went out of his way to trash Fukunaga in season two, and there have been reports of them having issues with one another for a long while now. I'm not sure if that's why Fukunaga didn't return or if he only had plans for one season, but I do know that the work as a team was much more fluid and competent for the first season than it was on the second one.

Yikes. While I find Nic interesting and talented, I can see how he could ignite conflicts with people. I feel like he really enjoys "showing off" so to speak, and can get a bit of a complex because of that where the control must be his. This is just my sense of him, however.
    You just might be spot on with that assessment, seems to perfectly describe him. I'm really curious to see what kind of angle and cast they end up deciding on for season three, along with when work will begin on it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I just finished watching Season 2, and really enjoyed it.

It was difficult to follow, but I insisted on ensuring I made the most of it. I did this by opening up a page of the respective episode's recap from the Wall Street Journal's blog and reading through it while watching the episode. By the end of the episode, anything I had missed picking up on screen (and there was plenty chance of that given all the subplots and characters) I understood through my read of the blog.

I agree that there were too many main characters. The season needed at least another 4 episodes in order for everything to unfold properly.

I think they should have dumped Paul. He really didn't resonate for me. Frank was incredible (one of the best performances I've seen from Vince Vaughan - I wish I could see more of his character) as was Ray (Farrell sold it - although the son subplot, while integral, was a bit overplayed imho). I also couldn't take my eyes of Ani (not only was Rachel McAdams excellent in the role, but she was easy on the eyes too). Same goes for Jordan (Kelly Reilly is always great). The shootout at the end of one episode and the sex party at the end of another were highlights, as was the finale when everyone gets their comeuppance..

The show reminds me of a cross between Heat, Broken City, Twin Peaks Season 2 and True Detective Season 1.

I wouldn't say I recommend it, because I'm sure most will be confused by it, but I will say I enjoyed it, primarily because of Vaughan, Farrell, McAdams & Reilly. The 'Roger Moore' nod/wink mid season was also great to see.
    I will get around to seeing this. Thanks for everybody's comments. And the suggestion of reading that Wall Street Journal's blog is helpful to me; thanks, @bondjames.
    You're welcome @4EverBonded. I hope it helps you as much as it did me. I would have been lost without something to help me keep tabs on everything that was going on.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I enjoyed S2 far more than I did S1of True Detective. I do agree that there were perhaps too many subplots and characters than were necessary, and I agree that the son subplot was a little too trite to buy into, but overall, it was a great piece of TV and it certainly didn't deserve the critical backlash it recieved.

And, for once, Vince Vaughan has actually made me believe he can finally shrug off those terrible comedic roles he's been doing of late, and return to being a straight actor of some worth. As @bondjames has mentioned in a previous post, the "sex party" and "LA shoot out" scenes were superbly written and shot. If you haven't seen, or stayed with the series, and missed those scenes, then do yourself a favour - go back and watch it.

I must say, I'm looking forward to S3. Bring it on.
    Unfortunately, it looks like work will be shifted to a new series of some type, as it looks like season three of 'True Detective' won't be happening after all:

http://collider.com/true-detective-season-3-nic-pizzolatto-hbo-deal/
    Season two was so convoluted and difficult to follow in the beginning. Took a minute to get into it and the plot was just all over the map. Like @Creasy47 said there was just too much going on with too many bulky characters.
    Hopefully in season three they will go the KISS method (KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID)
    @OHMSS69, the article I posted above your comment states that we won't be receiving a season three.
    Sucks. Because the first season was stellar, some of the best television EVER. And the stories deserve to be told; I liked the format. Each season could have been a little different. I am thinking Nic P. had a falling out with more than one person.
    I loved Cary Fukunaga's work on season 1. I'll watch any new show he's involved with. I swear I read somewhere that Nic P. had major friction with Cary. Writers are important; I wish Nic well but I'm sad if this particular series is finished just because of lackluster season 2 and whatever friction is going on behind the scenes.
    Nic took a low blow at Cary with a particular character in the second season. I think a majority of the success stemming from the first season was mostly due to the wonderful chemistry and acting of Woody and Matthew, and the great direction by Cary. I think Nic got lucky, and losing those three components really helped turn season two into the turd that it was.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Has anyone heard of this?

New HBO miniseries, reminds of True Detective's 1st season.
    @DaltonCraig007, I've been interested in that over the last few months; my friend caught the first two episodes and was raving about how good it was. I'll have to watch it soon, perhaps once I finish 'The Leftovers.'
    'True Detective' isn't dead yet, with season three now a possibility thanks to David Milch:

http://www.slashfilm.com/true-detective-season-3-revived/
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,468
    Mahershala Ali is now confirmed for season three of the show. Directors are now being looked at, and HBO's President of Programming has seen "five great scripts" thus far:

http://collider.com/true-detective-season-3-directors-mahershala-ali/
    Season 3 will debut Sunday, January 13th, 2019; the episode count is eight:

http://collider.com/true-detective-season-3-release-date/#mahershala-ali
    Cracked open the series 1 boxed set last night and time for just episode 1. Just stunning so far. Class from all contributors including obviously the director. It is very very dark. Just my cuppa tea. Reminded me a little of Missisippi Burning. Episode 2 tonight
    Oh you are in for a treat. No kidding. It is a mesmerizing, incredibly well told tale with stunning cinematography and excellent acting from every cast member. I am so happy Cary is directing Bond 25.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    One of the best series ever. Up there with Twin Peaks and perhaps Breaking Bad or Mad Men.
    Up to episode 5 now in series 1. Just stunning and it's multi layered with plenty to say about organised religion and social poverty. In a way, its a perfect pre-Trump snapshot.

Some of the settings are stuning and the thought and planning that has gone into some of the scenes is worthy of the best cinema. Wasted perhaps on TV?
    patb wrote: »
    Up to episode 5 now in series 1. Just stunning and it's multi layered with plenty to say about organised religion and social poverty. In a way, its a perfect pre-Trump snapshot.

Some of the settings are stuning and the thought and planning that has gone into some of the scenes is worthy of the best cinema. Wasted perhaps on TV?

Glad you are enjoying it @patb .
    It shows off the directors talents for sure,which hopefully he will bring to B25 !!
    @barryt007 Yes, spot on, if he can bring that level of talent to Bond then great but we should remember that TD Series 1 is clearly a remarkbly good script. Im a big fan of boxed sets but when you see something as good as this, you do wonder if cinema fans have been robbed of a instant classic? Plus, somehow, the contributors get more recognition via the movie route with MM's performance worthy of an Oscar nomination? plus the direction and script.
  • patb wrote: »
    @barryt007 Yes, spot on, if he can bring that level of talent to Bond then great but we should remember that TD Series 1 is clearly a remarkbly good script. Im a big fan of boxed sets but when you see something as good as this, you do wonder if cinema fans have been robbed of a instant classic? Plus, somehow, the contributors get more recognition via the movie route with MM's performance worthy of an Oscar nomination? plus the direction and script.

I couldn't disagree more. True Detective has become a instant classic, in spite of being played in cinemas.

Cinema is pretty much dead. Studios have over-saturated it with franchises over concerns for bottom line and profitability. The traditional thinking concerning theatrical distribution has changed rapidly in the last few years.

The most exciting and unique content is on Amazon and Netflix, whilst multiplexes stick to Marvel and Star Wars films. The real art-house cinema is on TV these days. The way people consume media has changed drastically.

Shows like True Detective, Breaking Bad, Mindhunter and Mr Robot, etc, show is that audiences have appetites for long-form storytelling. If you paint interesting enough characters, themes and stories, audiences will happily devour 8-10 hours of good storytelling.

I hope you are wrong. Look at movies like Zodiac, Seven and Manhunter. There is a movie genre here that I would not call art house. They are good, old fasioned murder mystery/thrillers that all made money. The difference is that perhaps more money can be made via the streaming route.

Box sets are great but I really hope they are not killing the art of cinema

I personally don't think a 'film' in the style of True Detective would have been as successful as it was as a tv series. It's a concept that requires time to breathe and unfold slowly as the personality layers reveal themselves via flashbacks and past interactions, and the longer running format of a series allows for (and facilitates) that.

I recently revisited it myself and think a lot of the genius is in Nic Pizzolatto's script. Directorially it's certainly very atmospheric, and Fukunaga should be credited for being able to extract such great performances from his cast. It's evident that a lot of thought went into creating the look and feel of the show, which is very distinctive, all enveloping and most importantly, supportive of the narrative. That's a skill, and I look forward to that approach being brought to bear for B25.
    @bondjames Obvioulsy it was written for TV so to say it would be more successful on TV is a given. What Im trying to say is that the acting, production values, direction, music etc etc are clearly up to a standard that would make great cinema.

We all know that there is nothing like the big screen experience and we would all be in tears if Bond went on the streaming route. So to realise that there is such great talent there within TD and not see that talent on the big screen is a shame.