True Detective (2014 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have plenty to chuckle over this morning, which is nice.

I think if there are 4 main characters in the next season, then Jackie Earle Haley would be as awesome addition. I just like Don Cheadle and his acting. Who else? Hey, here is an out of the box thinking kind of idea: Bereniece Marlohe! Maybe not a main character, but wouldn't it be great to see more of her and in a quality production? Eva's pretty busy on Penny Dreadful ... who else for season 2? Hmmm!

I'd love it if the next season was a period piece noir type story set in Golden Age Hollywood, then Berenice would fit right in with her classic look. I think it'll probably be a more current setting though, judging by how season 1 was played.
    I'd like to see more of Alexandria Deddario but I guess thats not gonna happen.
    I like the idea of Don Cheadle and John Goodman. These are two supreb actors.

I plan to keep watching the show. I'll probably finish it up this weekend.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,470
    Though Berenice technically hasn't had anything released (aside from '5 to 7') since SF, she would be a wonderful addition to 'True Detective.' As I've pointed out before, she's in the upcoming Terrence Malick film, and while I don't like his style of work, it's apparently a huge deal if you're cast in one of his films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I'd like to see more of Alexandria Deddario but I guess thats not gonna happen.

Considering that season 1 and 2 will be entirely separate stories completely unrelated to each other, we won't. The only purpose she really served was to be a siren temptress for Marty anyway, so it's no great loss.
    So True Detective will follow the path of American Horror Story. Using totally different storylines.

Interesting.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    So True Detective will follow the path of American Horror Story. Using totally different storylines.

Interesting.

I think everything will be separate. From what we know so far, it won't even take the AHS route by bringing back actors to play completely separate characters.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not seen that, as I usually don't like horror stories.

I like the premise, though, of it being totally different story every season. So much depends upon one word: quality. I so want the same quality in writing, direction, and cinematography, as well as acting of course. They did it once and can do it again if done with care. Just think: so many very good actors will now be wanting to be a part of this show!
    If the same showrunners, writers, DP, etc. is/are on board, then the only thing they have to worry about is the acting, I would say.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Writer is confirmed for sure, unsure about the director(s).
    Just checked on it, I don't believe Fukunaga is returning to direct. He's currently filming 'Beasts of No Nation' right now, and after that, I'm HOPING he does the R-rated film version of 'IT.'
    Using a different story is good. That is the problem with "The Killing". I could only take Season 1. It just got old. A new story with fresh faces, and a new crime might have helped me keep my interest.

About True Detective, they don't have to stick with a gruesome murder. They can use other crimes like drug trafficking, embezzeling, the works. That is what made "The
    Wire" so appealing for 5 seasons.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,470
    What happened with 'The Killing,' if it doesn't give away spoilers? Debated watching that show for a while now.

Also, another great addition to the series would be Jake Gyllenhaal. Check him out in 'Prisoners' and tell me you don't agree. He can play one hell of an unhinged detective.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    What happened with 'The Killing,' if it doesn't give away spoilers? Debated watching that show for a while now.

Also, another great addition to the series would be Jake Gyllenhaal. Check him out in 'Prisoners' and tell me you don't agree. He can play one hell of an unhinged detective.

And Zodiac. He's a named that popped into my head too.

With smart writing and the promise of Emmy nods a near sure-fire thing when attached to the show, actors should be auditioning for the next season like mad.
    What makes it much more interesting is that they're solely focusing on bigger names. It won't be "Oh, I've never heard of him/her, interested to see how they do," it'll be some big actor that we can compare their earlier roles to how they might perform in season two. With these rumors swirling and the script(s) almost being finished, I'm hoping we'll hear something soon, and perhaps it'll air early 2015.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Colin Farrell is the first of three:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/colin-farrell-in-talks-for-hbos-true-detective-2

The title may be True Detective 2.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Colin Farrell is the first of three:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/colin-farrell-in-talks-for-hbos-true-detective-2

The title may be True Detective 2.

The 'True Detective 2' bit is new, but Farrell is yet to be confirmed. He's just in negotiations. Also, I believe it's been reported that there will be four main leads, but it could end up being three. Time will tell! Have you watched the show, Samuel?
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,400
    Oh no not the TD vs. AHS comparisons! True Detective is fantastic, AHS is garbage!

That aside...

I think there should be a season where we get Dominic West and Wendell Pierce... The Wire, Season Six... anybody? No? Aww...

Uhh in seriousness, for a dream cast I want West, Pitt and Farrell. I think I want three instead of four.

Also, if it were ever set in England (it won't be), how would Dalton and Craig sound as a team of detectives? A senior veteran paired with a relatively seasoned, professional but stubborn middle-aged detective? OR Eccleston and Craig who, despite being two of Britain's greatest actors, haven't gotten to work together in nearly 20 years now.
    @StirredNotShaken, Dalton and Craig together would be TOO good. The world would implode if that happened.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @StirredNotShaken, Dalton and Craig together would be TOO good. The world would implode if that happened.

I too would love it if one season of the show took place across the pond.

Then you could have any myriad of talents attached, including Dan, Tim, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Gary Oldman (who can do an American accent well anyway), Tom Wilkinson, Michael Caine, and many more.

Another actor that I think would really be great for the tone of the series is Mads Mikkelsen, but with "Hannibal" on the table there's no way that'll happen, and the same with Kevin Spacey and "House of Cards."

Some fascinating discussion and insights on the first two pages here. Now I want to see the whole series again... well, I need to, anyway. Loved it. Saw it during two consecutive nights (4 episodes in a row) a few months ago, and that was a leeeetle intense, and I don't remember all the details, obviously. Probably didn't even notice all the details... it's that kind of a series. Also very curious to see what the 2nd season will be like and who will be in it.
    @Tuulia, I watched the whole thing in less than 24 hours. I think I got the blu-ray in the evening, watched four or five episodes, and finished the other four or three the following morning. Like I've said, though, with that beautiful quality, subtitles on, and having nothing else to keep me preoccupied, it really helps you dive into the show and soak up every detail and conversation and clue.
    Stuff like that need to be watched without doing other things, or phones, commercial breaks etc. if at all possible. I saw it on tv - at night and with no ads except some program advertising between episodes, so that was good. I also didn't mind at all to see it in such a short time period - better than one episode per week, but I may have gotten a bit tired by 5 am or whatever it was when it finished each night. I'll need to buy it...
    @Tuulia, pick it up on blu-ray (if you have a blu-ray player), the detail and cinematography is even more astounding when watched on such a format.
    @Creasy - I intend to do just that. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is that I don't yet have a blu-ray player, which I will get when I buy the new tv, which I will get once I get the furniture (the tv set will be placed on) sorted... :P
    All in due time! :)

Once you finally get around to getting all of that and you buy and rewatch it on blu-ray, let us know your thoughts. Always fun looking into the symbolism of the show and bringing up theories and opinions.
    Great to see you popping up on the forums again, @Tuulia!

I will rewatch TD again very soon as well. My friend and I will probably be hanging out this coming week, and since he's one of the many who really urged me to watch the show I want to relive it and have stuff to talk about.
    Here is the rumored plot for Season Two. It involves potential spoilers, but it discusses what the plot will be about and what Colin Farrell's character (or whoever gets hired if he doesn't) is tackling:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-chinatown-esque-plot-details-for-true-detective-season-2-emerge-20140717
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    It is interesting, that plot. Nic P. is still writing it. If I were him and read part of my plot online, I'd consider changing it ... however, mainly as a writer you want to write the best story you can - whether part of it is leaked or not. What made TD great was a combination of things, but the story was at the heart of its quality (really amazingly good dialog, for one thing). Personally, I do hope Colin Farrell joins the cast.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I finished TD and i liked it. Will be looking forward to see what the writers do with the second series and new characters.
    I believe it said at the end of the article that, because he is still in the writing stages, any of this (if it is true) could be altered or removed before it's all finished, so we'll see in the coming months. I'm looking forward to it already!