True Detective (2014 - present)

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I really tried watching this show but fell asleep both times. Will pass on the chance of trying a 3rd time.

Shame to hear that. Like I said, though, I suppose it's not for everyone.

I did not pass judgement as I am a great fan of Matthew, but somehow this series did do nothing for me. Which is similar with the series 24 for me.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I really tried watching this show but fell asleep both times. Will pass on the chance of trying a 3rd time.

Shame to hear that. Like I said, though, I suppose it's not for everyone.

I myself love the slow burning character studies, but going through the show episode by episode I often told myself "this show is definitely not for everyone," so I fully get it @SaintMark. I live in hope that you give it another try somewhere down the line, but the choice is yours and I understand your feelings.

I can only imagine getting some people to watch this who only like high spectacle action films. They'd clock out in the first five minutes, probably.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, absolutely. That's a shame, too, but there's really nothing you can do about it. Or foreign films: some of the best films I've seen in the past ten years were foreign, or 50's/60's films, or both, and I couldn't imagine trying to turn someone on to a film like 'Harakiri' who is used to garbage like 'Transformers.'
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, absolutely. That's a shame, too, but there's really nothing you can do about it. Or foreign films: some of the best films I've seen in the past ten years were foreign, or 50's/60's films, or both, and I couldn't imagine trying to turn someone on to a film like 'Harakiri' who is used to garbage like 'Transformers.'

"All this samurai crap is cool and all, man, but when the hell is a car gonna turn into a robot and shoot something? And when the hell does this film get some color? Is it supposed to black and white like this? W-what? Why are you looking at me like that?" ;)
    Creasy47 wrote:

I generally prefer my movies in B/W and pre-CGI. Do not mind any slow moving drama and am a great fan of French, Italian & Spanish cinema. DO believe that the French make much better actioners these days than those from the US.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I generally prefer my movies in B/W and pre-CGI. Do not mind any slow moving drama and am a great fan of French, Italian & Spanish cinema. DO believe that the French make much better actioners these days than those from the US.

So what was it about TD that disinterested you? I'm honestly very interested in hearing your thoughts.
    I'm also interested to see what you didn't like about it.

Also, @SaintMark, funny you should mention 'French, Italian, and Spanish cinema,' because I'm watching a movie with all three languages in it right now, plus English: 'The Wages of Fear.' It's simply fantastic so far.
    Nominations for the 2014 Emmys have been detailed, with news that True Detective has scored an impressive 12 nominations in an assortment of categories alongside Breaking Bad's 16, Fargo's 18, American Horror Story's 17 and Game of Thrones' 19, which all lead the pack.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/11/arts/television/2014-emmy-nominations-game-of-thrones-true-detective-among-the-honored.html?_r=0

True Detective's nods include a nomination for Outstanding Drama Series, Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey are both nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, Nic Pizzolatto is nominated for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series for "The Secret Fate of All Life", and Cary Joji Fukunaga is nominated for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series for "Who Goes There". I'm guessing the rest of the nominations will be in an assortment of categories like sound editing/design, production design and costume design.

The category I'm most exctied for is Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. In just this one category we have both Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson nominated for “True Detective”; Bryan Cranston for “Breaking Bad,” Jeff Daniels for HBO’s “The Newsroom,” Kevin Spacey for “House of Cards,” and Jon Hamm for “Mad Men.” I do not envy those that have to pick a winner out of these men.
    Off-topic, but I'm so incredibly happy to see that Gervais was nominated for 'Derek.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm also interested to see what you didn't like about it.

Also, @SaintMark, funny you should mention 'French, Italian, and Spanish cinema,' because I'm watching a movie with all three languages in it right now, plus English: 'The Wages of Fear.' It's simply fantastic so far.

Wages of Fear (1953) is a splendid movie with a lot of tense moments and great believable acting.

As for True Detective, I never really got into it I believe I saw the victim in some weird position, because that is wanted in such dramas these days, and then I cannot remember as I fell asleep both times in the similar place. I take falling asleep in a show that it means it is not meant for me. As there is enough good stuff to watch.

SaintMark wrote:
    As for True Detective, I never really got into it I believe I saw the victim in some weird position, because that is wanted in such dramas these days, and then I cannot remember as I fell asleep both times in the similar place. I take falling asleep in a show that it means it is not meant for me. As there is enough good stuff to watch.

Wow, that's barely the first ten minutes, if that. I'd give it more of a chance then that, but if you don't think it's for you then that's that I guess.
    Yeah, there's much more to it than the first ten minutes. Watch it during the middle of the day or something? I don't know. I've never fallen asleep during a film unless I was genuinely tired and I couldn't help it.

Wow, that's barely the first ten minutes, if that. I'd give it more of a chance then that, but if you don't think it's for you then that's that I guess.

I might pick up[ the box-set one day when it comes into the bargain zone and have another try. Generally god shows that ask a wee bit of intelligence tend to end up sooner in the cheap zone than the popular OTT shows.
    It's from HBO, so it won't hit the 'bargain zone' anytime soon. It's just like GoT, no matter how popular that is. 'True Detective' is popular, as well.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's from HBO, so it won't hit the 'bargain zone' anytime soon. It's just like GoT, no matter how popular that is. 'True Detective' is popular, as well.

That might be true in the US, I have seen a few HBO shows go quite cheaply as HBO is not such a mark of quality for most folks. Until last year we did not even have HBO.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,685
    That could be the case then. HBO shows might hit $19.99 or so on Black Friday, but that's about it. If you want to blind buy it and give it another shot (if you do live in the US and you're in the same position), wait until Black Friday.

EDIT: Season 2 will have four central characters:

http://www.slashfilm.com/true-detective-four-leads/
    I have rented and have been watching the first season of True Detective. I've seen two episodes and I have to say that I am not that impressed. It seems to be just an elaborate take on A&E's "The Killing". Two eccentric cops trying to solve a gruesome murder.
    I don't see what the fuss is all about.

The best part so far was the scene with Woody Harrelson and his well endowed mistress...
    I think the most interest for me comes from the character study, watching these two partners who are completely different in so many ways as they clash when they try to work together.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think the most interest for me comes from the character study, watching these two partners who are completely different in so many ways as they clash when they try to work together.

Right.

And the show is the very definition of a slow-burner, @OHMSS69, so give it time to properly boil for you.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,685
    I'm torn. Taylor Kitsch and Colin Farrell are in talks to join season two:

http://www.slashfilm.com/colin-farrell-true-detective/
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm torn. Taylor Kitsch and Colin Farrell are in talks to join season two:

http://www.slashfilm.com/colin-farrell-true-detective/
    Interesting. Farrell would fit right in playing yet another flawed character as he has done so well before, so I'd be fine if he was cast. With news that there will be four central character roles next season, it'll be interesting to see who lands the parts and how they bounce off each other and feed into the story itself.
    I'm very interested in Farrell being in the second season, it's Kitsch that has me worried (if he does get the role). I'm not sure how to feel about that.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm very interested in Farrell being in the second season, it's Kitsch that has me worried (if he does get the role). I'm not sure how to feel about that.

I don't know his work that well, having only seen him in the Wolverine: Origins film, but I can understand your reluctance at the news.

Who would be some of your dream choices for actors getting roles?

Ones that come to mind for me are John Goodman, Jackie Earle Haley, Daniel-Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz or Jeff Bridges for the guys, and Cate Blanchett, Marion Cotillard, Eva Green and Rooney Mara for the girls. I think they are all talents who have a lot of presence and could fit in well with the more grim and psychological series True Detective has presented itself as.

Philip Seymoure Hoffman would have been a stellar choice too. The deep character studies and more intimate, intellectual stories would have been right up his alley.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'd love Colin Farrell for season 2! And Jackie Earle Haley would be another amazing choice. I don't see Daniel Day-Lewis doing this (he would be outstanding, but he doesn't work like that). The other actors mentioned are wonderful, but I also don't know if they would do a series on TV. I wouldn't mind Jessica Chastain being in it either. Or Don Cheadle. :)
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I've also seen him in 'Lone Survivor' (he wasn't too bad), 'Battleship' (no comment), and while I've never watched it, people said he really shined in the 'Friday Night Lights' television series.

I love the thoughts of Jackie Earle Haley, John Goodman, and Don Cheadle being in it. Sadly, I don't see Haley being in it, as they're looking for "well-known names" for season two.

You know who I think would be fantastic for this kind of role? Joaquin Phoenix. Some others I could see playing well in this kind of atmosphere (and would be part of a dream cast of mine) would be Robert Downey Jr., Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey, Michael C. Hall, Lupita N'yongo, or Emily Blunt.
    I'd love Colin Farrell for season 2! And Jackie Earle Haley would be another amazing choice. I don't see Daniel Day-Lewis doing this (he would be outstanding, but he doesn't work like that). The other actors mentioned are wonderful, but I also don't know if they would do a series on TV. I wouldn't mind Jessica Chastain being in it either. Or Don Cheadle. :)

I could see Jackie as either a really stone cold cop that does what is necessary when everyone else does it by the book, or a psychotic madman/killer. He can play both so expertly, and he just has a crazy presence.

I don't think Daniel would do it either, which is why I called it dream casting. Knowing him he'd only accept the role if Nic and the producers gave him two years to become a cop and work on the force solving crimes so that he could get some method acting in.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, knowing Daniel's talent, he wouldn't need two years. First day on the force, he would find out who the Zodiac killer was. The man is that good. ;-)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, knowing Daniel's talent, he wouldn't need two years. First day on the force, he would find out who the Zodiac killer was. The man is that good. ;-)

I could see it...

Daniel [speaking to a whole crowd of cops]: "Are you all bloody mad? The clues have literally been under your noses from the start. This man here [points to photo on board] lives not two blocks from our vic's apartment, has no alibi for the night of the murder and we have eleven staggering witness accounts that place him at the scene during that timeline. Given all this evidence, do any of you for one second think 'hey, this bloke might be our man?' No, of course not. And do you bother to get a warrant to search his flat for evidence that could implicate him in the murder? No, because why would any of you bother doing your jobs at this bloody point when all you've done is sit on your arses since you walked in the stonking door! Honestly, you lot seriously get paid for this shit? I'm a bloody actor and I can do a better job. I didn't even need to go to a Police Academy or kiss the mayor's arse for a promotion. You lot are so unbelievably dense, and you know what? If cameras were rolling right now I'd have myself another bloody Oscar to add to the collection. What've you all got? Donuts?"

The newspaper headline the next day reads: "Oscar Winner Daniel-Day Lewis Gives Up Acting; Appointed Commissioner of Police by NYC Mayor." :D
    :-)) it's so, so, funny, but it's so damn true at the same time.

"Oscar Winner Daniel-Day Lewis Gives Up Acting; Appointed Commissioner of Police by NYC Mayor; Given First-Ever Police Officer's Oscar."
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have plenty to chuckle over this morning, which is nice.

I think if there are 4 main characters in the next season, then Jackie Earle Haley would be as awesome addition. I just like Don Cheadle and his acting. Who else? Hey, here is an out of the box thinking kind of idea: Bereniece Marlohe! Maybe not a main character, but wouldn't it be great to see more of her and in a quality production? Eva's pretty busy on Penny Dreadful ... who else for season 2? Hmmm!