True Detective (2014 - present)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    EMMY awards -

As far as I can tell, only one award - to the director, Cary Joji Fukunaga. Congrats to him! Well deserved.

I am personally very disappointed that Matthew did not win (Breaking Bad's actor won). And the writer, Nic, did not win (Breaking Bad' s writer won), and the series did not win over all (Breaking bad won). So Breaking Bad definitely had the momentum at the actual voting time.

Matthew won the Oscar for a different role, but there was so much talk about him winning an Emmy, too. Would have been nice. His acting in True Detective was Emmy award worthy, for sure.

I don't watch Breaking Bad, but for those of you who are fans, I'm sure you are happy.
    I'm really happy for Fukunaga. I just wish Matthew had won an Emmy.
    Now I cannot edit; hopefully that will change soon ...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I figured it'd be between them and Breaking Bad, for sure, especially considering that the show is seen as god-like in the eyes of many. I love the show too, but I didn't figure all these awards would go to it since it ended almost an entire year ago. I can't believe it was even eligible for nomination, actually. Anyway, at least some other talented people won, like Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan, if not Matthew, Nic, Woody, Cary and the rest of the crew.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Justin Lin will direct two episodes of season two of 'True Detective':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=122647
    Interesting! Thanks, Creasy. :)
    And it mentioned Rachel McAdams as a possibility. I like her a lot and I'd love for her to be part of the series.

So Lin will direct two episodes. Maybe other directors will direct two each. It will definitely be different from the first series then; the direction was so cohesive throughout season 1. Could be very good, even with different directors. The writing is, of course, really crucial. I wish Nic Pizolatto had won the Emmy; I do feel that he deserved it. Superior dialog, for one thing. But even without any acting or writing Emmy awards, True Detective had the strongest buzz and made a big impact on the television industry. I'm so looking forward to season 2!
    I'm wondering how the season will be with Justin Lin directing, since he's typically an action film director.
    Started the first season the other night. Great so far.
    Oh good! It gets better, too. And you can't rush it; it just draws you in. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I just found this by accident while reading a review of Ripper Street.

Possibly confirmed! http://www.geekbinge.com/2014/09/22/oh-guess-colin-farrell-just-confirmed-hes-starring-true-detective-season-2/

Apparently, Colin said he would be part of the show when speaking to someone from an Irish newspaper called The Sunday World. I haven't looked at the original article yet.

EDIT: Here is the orig. article. This seems to be rather a tabloid, but anyway here it is:
    http://www.sundayworld.com/entertainment/showbiz/colin-farrell-to-star-in-true-detective
    I need to get back into True Detective. Haven't felt like watching it in the last ten days (to be honest all I have watched is Bond).
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/colin-farrell-star-true-detective-2-033400651.html

Yeah it seems to be confirmed in a few places. :) I'm happy; I look forward to Colin in this next season.
    I can't wait to see Colin in the second season, nice to see him being confirmed as the first one joining. Now to wait and see who else is confirmed, such as Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, Vince Vaughn, etc.
    Rachel McAdams has also been confirmed. It looks like the last bit of confirmation we're awaiting now is that of Taylor Kitsch. This is going to be one fantastic season.
    Looking forward to it, naturally. :)

No idea about this Taylor Kitcsch person, though, never even hear the name before. Or Kelly Reilly, for that matter, I think.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh, hell yeah. I really want to see Vince sink his teeth into this role like I know he can. I think he's going to blow everyone away in this more dramatic type of project like Matthew did after he did a string of romantic comedies, a genre Vince himself has been known to enter now and again.

I never expected Kelly Reilly to be cast, and wasn't even aware she was being considered. I've loved her in everything she has been in, and can't wait to see her get more widespread attention through this series. I wonder if she'll play an English dame or try her hand at an American accent? Can't wait to see, either way.

I'm not reading any of the character descriptions they've supplied as I want to go in fully ignorant of what to expect.
    I don't know the two latest actors, but am really happy with Rachel McAdams being included. From what Brady has said, I have a good feeling about Kelly Reilly. Taylor Kitsch, I still have no idea.

GREAT show, and I'm so looking forward to the next totally new season.
    I don't know the two latest actors, but am really happy with Rachel McAdams being included. From what Brady has said, I have a good feeling about Kelly Reilly. Taylor Kitsch, I still have no idea.

GREAT show, and I'm so looking forward to the next totally new season.

@4Ever, if you watch the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films Kelly Reilly plays Mary Watson, and might I say very well. You should check them out some time, as they are very fun and treat Holmes and Watson's dynamic perfectly.
    Oh I have seen both and enjoyed them! Did not remember her, though.
    I love Robert Downey, Jr.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I can hardly wait!

TRUE DETECTIVE - SEASON 2
    Okay, here is a link and it has a LOT of info, cast, ideas, rumors, and some definite confirmation about the basics of the plot. So if you want to be completely unspoiled, do not read this article. If you want to read it, keep in mind this includes the old info we have already been told, too.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/true-detective/238707/true-detective-season-2-everything-we-know-and-more

And a different site with different details, possible spoilers:
    http://www.designntrend.com/articles/34711/20150113/true-detective-season-2-promo-teases-plot-spoilers-delirium-link-yellow-king-rumor.htm
    Thanks for links to the 'True Detective' Season 2 details. Looking forward to seeing the actual show. I have a question for non-USA members, are there any similar limited run series which are filmed(outside of the USA)? I enjoyed the 'Wallander' series set in Sweden and would seek your knowledge in viewing others.
    I don't know how limited a run, but Inspector Montalbano from Italy is pretty good. I enjoy those (subtitled for me).
    Here are the first on-set photos, including Farrell, Kitsch, and McAdams!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/408339-photos-from-the-set-of-true-detective-season-2#/slide/1
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Season 2 teaser.

Looks interesting. When this comes out, Vince is going to get just as much acclaim for stepping his game up as Matthew did.
    This looks so incredibly tense and mysterious. I cannot wait for it.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Love the anthology format! Most tv series (even the great ones) start to decline after a few seasons exactly because they don't have the whole story planned out in advance. In the case of True Detective (and other anthology series) they start filming ONLY AFTER they know exactly how the story will end. I believe a show like this has more in common with a movie than with a non-anthology tv series.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This looks so incredibly tense and mysterious. I cannot wait for it.

Yeah, while in True Detective season 1 we got a good bit of conflicted characters, it looks like everyone in this season has serious, serious issues.

I love the shot at the end of the guy in the robber's mask shushing at the camera. I get the feeling that it's one of the cops for some reason, like one or all of them are forced to go against their code and break some rules to meet some end. Wouldn't be a far cry from what Marty and Rust did the previous season. Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll be name-dropped at any point during the season, sort of in a California news bulletin that's reporting about two guys from Louisiana who uncovered a massive, decades-long scheme.
    I think I read somewhere that something is being mentioned again in this second series
    the Yellow King
    . I'm very excited about the cast of series 2. It looks like it should be great!