The Friday Salute: A user appreciation thread (THIS WEEK: StirredNotShaken aka SNS)

Comments

• Not to worry, Beatles, at least you won't be in dead last!

@DarthDimi is one of our most active moderators and troll-fighters, and for that alone we should thank him. But that's not all, of course. He'd be a great member even he weren't a mod, and his opinions on the Bond series are always insightful. He's a great fan of all kinds of horror movies, and his Kubrick retrospective was great.

The nominations seem to follow a trend, where the person who comes in second wins the next week. I'll keep it going with a vote for @thelivingroyale.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thanks so much @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7!
    We move on from the forum's most involved member, @DarthDimi, to a very insightful member who's made way for excellent Bond commentary, @thelivingroyale.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for getting this thread already to 11 pages in about as many weeks. It's been a great success, much more so than I anticipated. If it keeps its' momentum at this rate, it could become one of the great threads on MI6. Thank you again!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am very happy indeed to give a tribute this week to a member I highly respect and enjoy: @thelivingroyale! oregonian_martini.gif ...
    although that should probably be a beer mug, come to think of it ;)

Ever since I joined (Oct 2011) I have found thelivingroyale to be a consistently thoughtful, intelligent, fun, interesting, creative, and prolific member of this forum. I always enjoy his posts. He makes me think, he makes me laugh. He debates without acrimonious or antagonistic tones. He is consistently nice, down to earth, and kind. He loves animals - I remember well his writing so sweetly about his dog Rocky, how he found and rescued him (and then later he also wrote to let us know that Rocky had passed away). I remember his reaching out to members who are upset or going through a difficult time. In addition to all that decency that seems to flow from the man, he is also a huge Bond fan and a major contender for #1 Dalton fan. To top it off, he writes great fan fiction and also seems to know and enjoy all the popular games over the years (I am not a gamer, but he is a major gamer). He doesn't hesitate to speak his mind, yet always does so with fairness and clarity. I respect him as a genuinely great member of this forum, and I will look forward to his posts for years to come.

I want to also say thank you, thelivingroyale, for honorably serving your country while on duty in Iraq, and elsewhere. So glad you are with us. And you do deserve this tribute.

You also happen to have one of the coolest user names ever! B-) So here's to you, - the one and only, thelivingroyale!
    :-bd

Cheers!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @thelivingroyale is one of the most active members on this forum and his input is most valued. He has a great taste in films and occasionally I pick up suggestions he dropped and find myself blessed to have followed his advice. He's a Daltonite too and I know where we put our Dalton tattoos. ... ;-) Also, living is a fellow 82'er. That's right, we are born in the year E.T., Blade Runner, Wrath Of Khan, Poltergeist, The Thing and Fast Times at Ridgemont High came to the theatre. Well, E.T. left us again, but living is here to stay. And that puts a smile on my face.

Sit down, friend. Grab a glass. Let's talk.

two-red-wine-glasses.jpg
    We move on from the forum's most involved member, @DarthDimi, to a very insightful member who's made way for excellent Bond commentary, @thelivingroyale.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for getting this thread already to 11 pages in about as many weeks. It's been a great success, much more so than I anticipated. If it keeps its' momentum at this rate, it could become one of the great threads on MI6. Thank you again!

And I want to thank you, @StirredNotShaken, for starting this thread. It has been mentioned that a similar thread was on the old forum, but I was not a member of that. I really appreciate you thinking of this one. It is, along with the Originals thread, one that will stand the test of time, I believe. In our too busy, often stress-filled lives we lead, where we are bombarded with unworthy "news" that isn't even news or is just depressingly negative, it is a genuine pleasure to read and participate in this thread to give tribute to deserving members. It is a positive focus and worthwhile. Thanks!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm glad I started the lucky streak that led to @thelivingroyale being saluted this week. What can I say about him? He's a great Bond fan, he's a great Dalton Fan, he's got one of the best usernames ever to grace the internet, he's a child of the early 80's lie me, and amongst many other (great) things he's an Oasis fan and that alone would make him deserve this honour. In a word, he's amazing!

Bottoms up @livingroyale oregonian_martini.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Think @thelivingroyale, think...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MHAAUbLVhEI/TzsAG7GvvbI/AAAAAAAATuQ/yL35vttXdls/s1600/TimothyDalton1.jpg

and

christopher-eccleston-ninth-doctor.jpg

@thelivingroyale is a hardcore Dalton fan, so I can forgive him for liking Eccleston's Doctor. ;)
    Think @thelivingroyale, think...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MHAAUbLVhEI/TzsAG7GvvbI/AAAAAAAATuQ/yL35vttXdls/s1600/TimothyDalton1.jpg

and

christopher-eccleston-ninth-doctor.jpg

@thelivingroyale is a hardcore Dalton fan, so I can forgive him for liking Eccleston's Doctor. ;)

:O but Eccleston's one of the best actors ever!
    Eccleston looks scary, but Dalton looks awesome and I'd rather look at Dalton. :D
    Eccleston looks scary, but Dalton looks awesome and I'd rather look at Dalton. :D

As would I and Dalton's certainly the better actor. But Eccleston is very high on my list as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,905

As an actor in general, I can't really say, as I have not seen him in much besides a few episodes of Cracker, Doctor Who, 28 Days Later and that dire Gone In 60 Seconds remake. My comment was more aimed at his Doctor, which is one of my least favourites.

As an actor in general, I can't really say, as I have not seen him in much besides a few episodes of Cracker, 28 Days Later and that dire Gone In 60 Seconds remake. My comment was more aimed at his Doctor, which is one of my least favourites.

Of what I've seen from Doctor Who (a decent amount of each doctor, the movie with McGann, all of Eccleston and about half of Tennant and Smith) I really thought Eccleston was the best one.
    Ahem! *cough!* Back to: saluting @thelivingroyale!

He also has ties to Fleming: Jamaican roots. :)
    @thelivingroyale is one of the most dedicated Bond fans I know. He was one of the very first users I was able to discuss Bond with on MI6C and I find him incredibly intelligent and thoughtful in his discussions. Though I certainly plan to do battle for the title of "#1 Dalton fan" ;)
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    That will be quite a slugfest: mainly you, thelivingroyale, and DarthDimi! I'll bring the popcorn (which I'll enjoy eating while sitting on the sidelines) and towels to mop up the blood. :)>-
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale is one of the best members on here: up for some great discussion, has wonderful interests, and he's been a good friend to me since I got to know him a while back. Like all of the others, this praise shouldn't be delivered to you for only a week, as you deserve it much more often than that. Thank you, friend!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    @thelivingroyale - Great username and great avatar and an all-round great member of MI6 Community! It's great to have you here, sir. I raise my glass to you - enjoy your week of praise!
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Wow, not really sure what to say now. Thank you everybody, this really does mean a lot and I'll try to reply to you all individually later.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Over time @thelivingroyale has become one of those loyal, most trusted and valued members then any forum relies upon. For that reason and many more, it's great that you're still around and get involved in a great deal of the discussions. Another person, who's lead new members should follow.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, many words have been spoken already, and I have no doubt @OBrady will come up with the true stories behind the man we know as @ThelivingRoyale (with such a name, expect fireworks!). So what is ther to add? well, it's not adding anything but it's my personal view that @TheLiving is one of the finest members of our boards. Always friendly, thoughtfull and peace keeping.
    Therefore I booked you a holiday to Paradise City:
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, congrats to @TheLivingRoyale. Great poster and someone who you can have friendly disagreements with. He stands by his opinions without trepidation and often gives credit to posters, irrespective of their popularity if he believes it to be just. Plus he's half Nigerian so he gets an extra point...or half lol. Well done, mate. It's your party.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    A hearty well done 'and a pittance of a pension' ;-) to @thelivingroyale. I can only echo the fantastic tributes already paid to you by the other members here. Many congratulations.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @thelivingroyale the man, the legend. He's one who never backs down from an argument and always stands up for his opinions. He's a pretty funny guy. Congrats man, I salute you too. :)
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    xin_4801040809446981525710.jpg
    And he's badass! =D>

An outstanding MI6 member in so many ways; the one and only @thelivingroyale.
    Cheers again! I'm glad we are toasting you all week.

(Several months ago, he had posted the link for this photo of himself from his time in Iraq, and I thought it was the perfect time to share it again.)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    '82? Wow, I have phasers older than you @thelivingroyale! :))
    Here's to an awesome dude I wish I could physically hang out with! But virtual is cool too. CHEERS!
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @4EverBonded Thank you for all the nice things you said, really does mean a lot. Wouldn't call myself a badass though, lots of people are more deserving of that title than me :)

@DarthDimi Sssshh, I thought the tattoos were a secret? ;). And don't forget my favourite film of 82 (and one of my favourite films in general), First Blood! Thank you, and I'm definitely here to stay :)

@Sandy That's one of the things I like about you, we have very similar taste in music. Oasis, Blur, Kings Of Leon, etc. Cheers! \m/

@MajorDSmythe One day I'll be able to convince you that Eccleston was great! Thank you, it's always nice reading some appreciation from another Dalton fan.

@StirredNotShaken I'd say the same about you (incredibly intelligent and thoughtful), thank you. Battle for the title of no 1 Dalton fan? Oh you're on! ;)

@Dragonpol You're one of the most intelligent members on here and you've created some very interesting threads, so it's great to read appreciation from you, thank you.

@Creasy47 I'd say the same about you. Thanks for the kind words mate, we Brosnan fans have to stick together after all :)

@Samuel001 Thank you, and I'd definitely say the same about you. You're somebody who's posts I've enjoyed since I first joined.

@CommanderRoss Never been there before. What's the grass like? And will there be fit girls? ;) Thank you for the kind words.

@doubleoego Cheers mate. You're somebody who's posts I always enjoy and who's opinion I always respect whether I agree or disagree, so thank you.

@WillyGalore In just a couple of months you've proven yourself to be a very funny and clever member, so it's nice to read appreciation from you, thank you.

@Murdock Nice to read kind words from a very creative and funny member, thank you.

@chrisisall One of the funniest members on here, a Brosnan and Dalton fan. I find myself agreeing with you a lot so it's nice to read appreciation from you, thank you :)
    don't forget my favourite film of 82 (and one of my favourite films in general), First Blood!
    What taste, style! =D>
    You deserve all the accolades.
    You may not be so badass in person, away from your tour of duty in Iraq.
    But back then, at least, you looked badass. ;)

Always enjoy your posts; glad you are here to stay. So am I; some of us will be long term MI6 die hards, I feel sure.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,696
    Always enjoy your posts
    So say we all!