Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• RogueAgent wrote:
    I am curious to see is it just a straight Superman/Batman mash up or is there going to be a greater threat that requires both there attention? In doing so will this kick start another 3 Batman films aside?

Apparently the baddy is this man.

If nothing else, then the film will almost definitely have a good villain.
    Interestingly enough the press release which accompanied Bendevil's announcement did not mention that Nolan or his wife were EPs for the sups sequel.

Studios don't make mistakes like that do they?

Maybe Nolan didn't like the new Superman and doesn't want his name attached to the sequel? Or maybe he just wants to move on after being known for these films for the best part of a decade now?

Seems like Zack Snyder is the main man when it comes to these films now. Which doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Has Cranston even been confirmed?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    People didn't exactly warm up to Cranston as the bad guy in Total Recall, though I liked him in it.
  • People didn't exactly warm up to Cranston as the bad guy in Total Recall, though I liked him in it.

I thought nearly everyone was wasted in that film, including him. Bill Nighy was in it for about 5 minutes!

If he's given good material he'd be brilliant (Breaking Bad). I hope the film doesn't waste his potential.
  • 13 film deal for the new batman bendevil....what????

That'll make him 54 if he did a batman movie every year...then he'll be old enough to play......

The dark knight rises again....
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    13 film deal for the new batman bendevil....what????

Clearly they imagine he'll be in multiple films per year. I imagine at least one Batman film alongside every film he's co-starring in with other DC super heroes. Maybe we'll see his first solo Batman film a few months after the Man of Steel sequel. Much like Sam Jackson and his multi-film deal with Marvel. Perhaps this also includes TV.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    Here is an interesting read about all the Batman films that never were, with references to this coming MoS sequel and a possible Justice League adventure down the road:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/7-batman-films-that-didnt-make-the-cut.html/8/
    Fascinating read indeed, thanks @0Brady!

For the creative minds involved those development stages must indeed be hell, however for me as a consumer, to read of all those ideas is immensely entertaining.
    I hope Aronofsky and Miller adapt that story into a graphic novel, as I would love to see it in comic form as opposed to on film.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I am curious to see is it just a straight Superman/Batman mash up or is there going to be a greater threat that requires both there attention? In doing so will this kick start another 3 Batman films aside?

Apparently the baddy is this man.

If nothing else, then the film will almost definitely have a good villain.
    Interestingly enough the press release which accompanied Bendevil's announcement did not mention that Nolan or his wife were EPs for the sups sequel.

Studios don't make mistakes like that do they?

Maybe Nolan didn't like the new Superman and doesn't want his name attached to the sequel? Or maybe he just wants to move on after being known for these films for the best part of a decade now?

Seems like Zack Snyder is the main man when it comes to these films now. Which doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest.

He certainly can do menacing! I like him! Guess we will see where it all ends up soon enough!
    QBranch wrote:
    Just stumbled across this in the news. Interesting choice here. I have no problem with Affleck, looking forward to seeing what he can do with the role.

BTW who else has played both Marvel and DC superheroes?

Ryan Reynolds :-) Deadpool and then green lantern. Not sure if his character in Blade 3 is of any note in marvel universe.

Who else has played both Superman and Batman?! Ben is now in his own exclusive club.

I think he will be fantastic looking in the suit, as Ben has a very Batman-esque chin and can make a brilliant playboy Wayne.

I thought he did well in Hollywoodland, was a turning point for me regarding my opinion of him as a actor.

I am quietly confident he will make a good Batman, and at 6ft 4 will be imposing in the suit.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/exclusive-zack-snyder-eyeing-timothy-dalton-alfred-batman-superman

This sounds bloody great. I do really, really, really hope this to be true! That would make this movie EVEN more exiting.
    I for one does look forward to Ben Afflecks take on the role a great deal!
    I would watch it just for Tim if it happens :-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow, @MrBond. That would be excellent. Dalton as Alfred, Cranston as the bad guy, Affleck trying on the Bat suit. This film should be excellent.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Who would have thought Batman's butler would be more intimidating and scarier than batman himsrlf? this id clearly a batman obe wouldnt want to dare try and mess with.
    MrBond wrote:
    http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/exclusive-zack-snyder-eyeing-timothy-dalton-alfred-batman-superman

This sounds bloody great. I do really, really, really hope this to be true! That would make this movie EVEN more exiting.

That would be awesome, perfect for the role.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    First they get Walter White and now my favourite James Bond!

I might have to see this now.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    This film should be excellent.

It's definitely looking like an excellent cast but I'm still sceptical about the film itself.
    @thelivingroyale, I really loved 'Man of Steel,' and this is coming from a man who never really cared for Superman in the slightest. I'm interested to see the direction this takes.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, I really loved 'Man of Steel,' and this is coming from a man who never really cared for Superman in the slightest. I'm interested to see the direction this takes.

Man of steel was awesome, Cant wait for the Bluray release. So many moments i remember watching it in the cinema when i thought is this really happening. I am a huge Superman fan.
  • RC7RC7
    MrBond wrote:

This is inspired.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Man of steel was awesome, Cant wait for the Bluray release. So many moments i remember watching it in the cinema when i thought is this really happening. I am a huge Superman fan.

You and I both. I went out over the summer and 'bought it' at Wal-Mart because it comes in a really sweet steelbook cover and gets shipped and delivered day one of release.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    If this happens it should add weight to the film's cast but the script is my main concern. I really want this to work and the sad thing is, I can't do a damn thing to help it!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

You and I both. I went out over the summer and 'bought it' at Wal-Mart because it comes in a really sweet steelbook cover and gets shipped and delivered day one of release.

Funny you should say that, was thinking earlier hope it comes in a steel book. Was hoping to get oblivion in a steel book though found a white case not overly keen on it. Like getting steel books, Avengers, Total Recall (Arnie)and Amazing Spiderman are my favourite steel books that i own.
    MrBond wrote:

WOW!!!! That would be epic!!!! How cool would this be?!!! :O :-bd
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:

I wasn't going to see it at first (yet another reboot and it's not even a character I'm interested in, or a director I like). Then I thought I might after I saw some of the trailers. Then I read the reviews and decided no, I don't want to see it after all.

The main thing that put me off was the finale, as everyone was saying it was a massive CGI fest.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I wasn't going to see it at first (yet another reboot and it's not even a character I'm interested in), or a director I like. Then I thought I might after I saw some of the trailers. Then I read the reviews and decided no, I don't want to see it after all.

The main thing that put me off was the finale, as everyone was saying it was a massive CGI fest.

With billions of dollars in damage.

@fire_and_ice, I got my 'Oblivion' blu-ray steelbook from Wal-Mart.
    MrBond wrote:

It would make me really happy to see Dalton in more big productions. First that Logan-Mendez thing, now this, seems like there is justice after all.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Who would have thought Batman's butler would be more intimidating and scarier than batman himsrlf? this id clearly a batman obe wouldnt want to dare try and mess with.
    Maybe the film hasn´t got a title yet because it´s going to be Superman vs Alfred? :D

Creasy47 wrote:

Funny you should say that, was thinking earlier hope it comes in a steel book. Was hoping to get oblivion in a steel book though found a white case not overly keen on it. Like getting steel books, Avengers, Total Recall (Arnie)and Amazing Spiderman are my favourite steel books that i own.
    You mean book of steel, not steel book, I presume? :>
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,310
    I'm sorry, but the Man of Steel was a massive letdown on so many levels. And I have just about zero faith in a movie where the main selling point is Batman and Superman fighting each other. Why introduce a new Batman in a movie that also has Superman in it?

Oh, and Zack Snyder. Who's flippin' idea was it to hire him as a director? He doesn't know when to show restraint - one of MOS's big problems was that it was MINIMALLY 30 minutes too long.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,432
    @Creasy47 cheers mate, will look for it.

@boldfinger Good play on words :-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SJK91 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but the Man of Steel was a massive letdown on so many levels. And I have just about zero faith in a movie where the main selling point is Batman and Superman fighting each other. Why introduce a new Batman in a movie that also has Superman in it?

Oh, and Zack Snyder. Who's flippin' idea was it to hire him as a director? He doesn't know when to show restraint - one of MOS's big problems was that it was MINIMALLY 30 minutes too long.

Actually, @SJK91, while I understand your concern and agree that, when poorly executed, such a concept could effectively blow up in DC's face, a Batman versus Superman plot is something that both DC comics and DC animation are quite familiar with. Fans enjoy that kind of stuff. Furthermore, 'versus' films aren't always poorly received, as slasher fans for example have experienced with Freddy versus Jason in 2003. Then there's also the example from Marvel, where a fight between Thor and Iron Man made The Avengers' audience cheer out in full fanboy mode, something I predict could happen with Batman / Superman too. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, though I'm willing to call it a risk.

We can say what we want about Snyder but MOS was a very profitable movie. Perhaps he can pull it off next time as well. I'm fairly confident that it could work, but a fine script will be essential in achieving success.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 1,310
    DarthDimi wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

Actually, @SJK91, while I understand your concern and agree that, when poorly executed, such a concept could effectively blow up in DC's face, a Batman versus Superman plot is something that both DC comics and DC animation are quite familiar with. Fans enjoy that kind of stuff. Furthermore, 'versus' films aren't always poorly received, as slasher fans for example have experienced with Freddy versus Jason in 2003. Then there's also the example from Marvel, where a fight between Thor and Iron Man made The Avengers' audience cheer out in full fanboy mode, something I predict could happen with Batman / Superman too. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, though I'm willing to call it a risk.

We can say what we want about Snyder but MOS was a very profitable movie. Perhaps he can pull it off next time as well. I'm fairly confident that it could work, but a fine script will be essential in achieving success.
    Indeed, Man of Steel was a box office success, but one has to wonder if it really achieved its full potential. In North America, the second weekend drop off was a gargantuan 64.6% and the film didn't really fare much better after. When you look at the numbers, Man of Steel did not hold over very well. After a very impressive $116m opening weekend, the film ended up south of $300m in North America. (MOS Box Office) Lots of hype - not a lot of repeat customers it seems. Despite a VERY loud group of people, it doesn't seem MOS fared very well amongst general film goers.

I also understand where you are coming from, @DarthDimi, when you say that this movie will excite a lot of fanboys. What I worry about is the quality of the script and the questionable choice of reintroducing a major character in a "versus" movie. To me, if you are going to recast Batman - on the heels of what Nolan, his crew and Bale did for Batman - he damn better get his own movie to start. I know that some people praise David S. Goyer who did indeed do some incredible work with The Dark Knight Trilogy, but lets not forget he also wrote the Blade: Trinity, Jumper and Ghost Rider 2. I'm just saying.

And then there is Zack Snyder who, time and again, has shown his complete lack of restraint. Take a look at every single one of his films, maybe minus Dawn of the Dead, and you'll see how much he compensates bad story for colorful visuals. Man of Steel is no exception. It is true that it was a fatal mistake to treat MOS like The Dark Knight, and bringing someone like Snyder (who will happily approve of a painfully long, drawn out, fake looking CGI final battle sequence) certainly didn't help anything or anyone.

To me, this Batman vs. Superman film represents the superhero genre going completely out of control. I realize I'm judging the film before it even comes out, and I really usually try not to do that, but this idea honestly sounds like a train wreck. I don't even mind that Ben Affleck is the new Batman. If he was cast ten years ago, I would have agreed that he was a mistake. But if you've seen Argo and The Town, you'll realize Affleck will likely make a fine Bruce Wayne/Batman.

What I'm saying is that bigger isn't necessarily better. Sometimes, showing restraint and bringing things back can be a good thing. Sometimes a brutal yet simple climactic fist fight (Spider-Man '02) is far more effective than a fight of whirring colors on a skyscraper (The Amazing Spider-Man) - if you get where I'm coming from.

In the meantime, let Hollywood make their money. I know it's a business, and they do a fine job at making a profit.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @SJK91, I definitely agree with the last part of your statement. I can perfectly understand why they make this film: money. DC and Warner have smelled Marvel's huge profits of the previous years and they want some of that. I'm fairly confident that without Avengers and whatnot, the idea of a Batman / Superman film might not have popped up just yet. And they have an overdose of confidence in this film too if you see when they've programmed it: in the same year that Marvel's Avengers 2 is scheduled.

It's all about the money, indeed. I try not to think about that when enjoying these films in the theatre. But when they keep them coming like they do, forgetting that we all participate in this money swallowing business becomes increasingly harder. ;-)