Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Batman wins every time. Why?
    Because he's Batman.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    jolearon wrote:
    I think it is quite a shock for most people, but I'm on board to see where it goes.

But what if Ben Affleck was chosen for the next Bond, how you you all react then?? HA

Ben Affleck did just fine as Jack Ryan (I happened to like The Sum of All Fears).
    jolearon wrote:
    I think it is quite a shock for most people, but I'm on board to see where it goes.

But what if Ben Affleck was chosen for the next Bond, how you you all react then?? HA

Ben Affleck did just fine as Jack Ryan (I happened to like The Sum of All Fears).

I really liked Liev Schreiber in that film. Sadly, he wasn't given enough screentime.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    jolearon wrote:

I really liked Liev Schreiber in that film. Sadly, he wasn't given enough screentime.

No he wasn't. Neither, I think, was Ciaran Hinds. He was superb in what screentime he had, though. Actually, same with the rest of the cast. The Sum of All Fears was a very exquisitely cast film.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Batman wins every time. Why?
    Because he's Batman.

I'm really looking forward to the depth of character that Ben brought to Daredevil and Gigi to Batman...

Are we going to have a new Alfred, Gordon and will they give us Nightwing?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Affleck after Bale feels to me a bit like Brosnan after Dalton. I'm sure It'll be a different Affleck from the one we saw in DareDevil.

Alfred: Likely
    Gordon: Likely (I'm all for Bruce Greenwood or Kurtwood Smith)
    Nightwing: I hope not
    1233587_10151384110753239_1537222649_n.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator

Alfred: Likely
    Gordon: Likely (I'm all for Bruce Greenwood or Kurtwood Smith)
    Nightwing: I hope not

I've no doubt it'll be a complete recast for the DC Universe that's in the making.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Affleck after Bale feels to me a bit like Brosnan after Dalton. I'm sure It'll be a different Affleck from the one we saw in DareDevil.

Michael Keaton is still one of the best Batmans in my humble opinion, would he have been chosen in an internet era like we live in these days that choice would have been denounced as well by loads of socalled "fanboys".

I would like to see the movie first before I give an opinion. I said that with Craig as well, not my choice but we'll see. ANd Craig did fine as 007, not a great fan of his era though.

Affleck feels for me a new direction away from that Nolan grasp, and that cannot be a bad thing imho.
  • jolearon wrote:

I think Harrison Ford is the best Jack Ryan (best film is probably Red October though). I didn't really like the Affleck reboot.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited August 2013 Posts: 7,314
    I think Harrison Ford is the best Jack Ryan (best film is probably Red October though). I didn't really like the Affleck reboot.
    Agreed. Ford was the best Ryan and I very much preferred Baldwin over Affleck.
    Don't forget the new film, released Christmas Day.
    Staying off topic for a minute when is that film getting a trailer I haven't even seen a teaser for Jack Ryan
  • Frankie Boyle had this to say on Twitter

"As a dad, I have to go to all the big superhero movies. Ben Affleck's casting has actually made me love my children less." :))
  • Casting is key...sure we have a history of actors who were picked for a certain role then either dropped out or were replaced.

Can you imagine Tom 'I'm totally straight' Cruise playing Iron Man? That was going to happen.

Ben is not batman....it's pants casting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Casting is key...sure we have a history of actors who were picked for a certain role then either dropped out or were replaced.

Can you imagine Tom 'I'm totally straight' Cruise playing Iron Man? That was going to happen.

Ben is not batman....it's pants casting.

No need to be childish; this isn't preschool.

Judging Ben before he even gets a chance to show you anything is "pants" logic.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,594
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yeah, it seems like that to me too. I'm not enthused but hopefully my fears will prove unjustified.

I'm not as excited about all this because I found MOS a bit disappointing and I have my doubts about Affleck. I'm going to hire out a couple of his more recent films today. After viewing them, maybe I'll be able to feel more confident.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I don't have any strong feelings either way when it comes to Affleck but the film doesn't interest me at all so far.

I like the Batman films but I have no interest in Superman, I don't like Zack Snyder and it seems from what I've read that Man Of Steel was pretty poor (although I haven't seen it so I can't fairly judge I suppose).

If this was just another Batman film, with someone other than Snyder directing, then I'd go and see it. But as it stands I think I'll most likely be giving this one a miss. I'll probably give it a watch when it's on Sky Premiere.

I have Assassin's Creed and Bond 24 to look forward too in 2015 anyway.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    That is by far the bigger problem for me, it's the return of Zack Snyder, or as some call him, Zack the hack. If you compare these two films to Marvel's first two, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, I don't think you can deny, Marvel have the edge over DC so far.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,782
    The truce did not last long, idiot troll has started again.

By the way Mr.Avenger himself says that Ben is going to smash the role and he's all in. Wheldon has either been promised a lot of money for future projects by the studios, or he sees something that a lot people don't. What does he know about sci-fi and superheroes anyway?
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    There are 4 comic book franchises I'm interested in:

Judge Dredd (sequel doesn't seem likely)

Punisher (even less likely)

Batman (read my other post)

Kick Ass (apparently a 3rd film is being written but I doubt it'll be out for a few years yet).

I'm not really interested in any of the upcoming superhero films. I'm getting a bit sick of them to be honest because they're churning out so many. I might see Ant Man though because it's Edgar Wright.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Kick Ass (apparently a 3rd film is being written but I doubt it'll be out for a few years yet).

I'm not really interested in any of the upcoming superhero films. I'm getting a bit sick of them to be honest because they're churning out so many. I might see Ant Man though because it's Edgar Wright.

Good to see another fellow 'Punisher' fan. Did you prefer the Jane film or the Stevenson film?
    Creasy47 wrote:

Good to see another fellow 'Punisher' fan. Did you prefer the Jane film or the Stevenson film?

I, myself, preferred Thomas Jane in the role, but enjoyed the Ray Stevenson film more.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That is by far the bigger problem for me, it's the return of Zack Snyder, or as some call him, Zack the hack. If you compare these two films to Marvel's first two, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, I don't think you can deny, Marvel have the edge over DC so far.

Did you see MoS? Just curious.

I'll give you Iron Man, but The Incredible Hulk was a bit forgettable. That's another I will have to re-watch soon as I only saw it once in theaters.
  • @Creasy47 @Agent007391 I preferred the Stevenson film but this has made me feel a bit bad for Thomas Jane

The fact that he would make a fan film (and a good one too) shows that he's passionate about the character. I think he deserved a better film than the one he got and if they ever make another, I think he should star in it.
    That fan film is the best representation of The Punisher, especially when he takes a bottle of Jack Daniels and proceeds to use it as the deadliest weapon imaginable.

Punisher: War Zone is the best official representation of the character, Dirty Laundry is the absolute best representation. The Dolph Lundgren film is the worst representation.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:

Did you see MoS? Just curious.

I'll give you Iron Man, but The Incredible Hulk was a bit forgettable. That's another I will have to re-watch soon as I only saw it once in theaters.

Yes, I saw it. I think I posted my views in the Man of Steel thread. In short, I thought it was average in many ways.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When a new actor is cast for the role of the caped crusader, there's always the question of whether or not he will be a good Bruce Wayne, a good Batman, both or none of both. I'm more worried about Affleck as Wayne than I am about him as Batman. I'm sure he can wear the costume well but it's currently somewhat harder for me to think of him as Bruce Wayne.

Keaton was never an issue for me because I was simply too young to have an opinion about his casting in the late 80s. I immediately embraced him as a great Batman / Bruce Wayne because I instantly loved the film. Over the years, that love has remained. To this day, Keaton is my favourite Batman / Bruce Wayne.

I have a soft spot for Kilmer. He may be a total nutter, an arrogant and self-indulgent actor, almost impossible to work with, but I have seen him deliver amazing performances in films like HEAT and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I quite liked his Batman but was overall cooler on his Bruce Wayne even though I thought most scenes with him as Bruce worked well enough.

Clooney was my first major obstacle because he was always Clooney, whether he played Batman or Bruce Wayne. There was too much of that E.R. Clooney in the performance, it became troublesome after five minutes already. Strange, in a way, for George Clooney is by and large a fairly good actor. He just forgot to 'act' IMO. To his credit, he had little to work with in Batman and Robin anyway.

I like what Bale did as a mostly younger, angrier and more aggressive Batman / Bruce Wayne. He had by far the most complex characterisation of Batman / Bruce Wayne to deliver and he did it with maximum effect IMO. He kept intriguing me in all three of his Batman films, as if each film brought something new to the table. He worked well as the central focus of a Batman film (Batman Begins) and he also worked well against other impressive focal points like the Joker (The Dark Knight) and Bane (The Dark Knight Rises). I consider him by far the most challenged of all the Batman actors given the intelligent, demanding, nuanced and complicated scripts of the Nolan films.

To bring Affleck into the mix now feels like taking a few steps down but I guess I'm not being entirely fair. Let's see what he has to do, how well he dons the suit, which side of him we will see most in the film. He furthermore has the distinction of being Batman in a film that isn't purely a Batman film. My guess is that this little detail will make a huge difference eventually. I doubt that he will need to shoulder yet another origin story and I'm not even sure that he will carry the same emotional burdens that Bale's Batman carried. In fact I hope that we will see a Batman more on the level of the Arkham Asylum / Arkham City Batman: 100 % world's greatest detective. A more matter-of-fact Batman sounds better suited for Affleck IMO than a troubled, tormented, hurt and in a way vulnerable Batman. After three films of introverting, let's do some extroverting with Batman. Let's skip the existential worries and get into crime fighting mode with or against Superman. But hey, we have a few more years to contemplate the film and a lot of officially released information to digest. ;-)