Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @QBranch , thanks, that was fascinating. It's easy to forget how beautiful some of those shots were, and how complex the composition & lighting were.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thanks for posting, @QBranch, that was most certainly an excellent read! Nice to pick up on things I never noticed before, like the safety vs. danger debate in how they filmed the scene in the police station when they're watching Kyle on the TV.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,901
    My pleasure. :) I hope they can channel those processes to achieve a similar tone for Genesis.

Besides Cinevenger, I also stumbled across Stan Winston's 'School of Character Arts' site. There's a lot of excellent behind the scenes photos and videos to be found- I spent half the day just going through a small portion of it!

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/search?term=terminator

Now I'm very keen to watch the 4 films back to back. The question is: which order? Three and four are of course the weakest, and I don't really want to watch two great films followed by two weaker ones. Perhaps I could go: T4-T1-T2-T3. I've also just gotten a hold of the Sarah Conner Chronicles. I'm officially in Terminator mode ;)
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,459
    Watch T1, then T2, then stop. ;-)

Seriously, though, I did that two days ago and it was perfect. It all starts, flows, and ends on a very perfect note. By continuing after that, you pretty much negate everything that Cameron just set up and spent two movies combating. I doubt I'll ever watch the latter two again. The first two back-to-back is one damn good time.

When this thread was popular two days ago, I immediately got in the mood for some Terminator, so I know how you feel! I also need to get around to seeing 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I also need to get around to seeing 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles.'
    I only saw a couple of episodes when it first aired. Naturally, I'm looking forward to seeing Summer Glau and Shirley Manson in the show- and I completely forgot Dredd/GoT's Lena Headey was in it! :O
    I love Shirley Manson's work. Yep, doesn't Headey play Sarah Conner herself, or is it another role? I thought it was Conner.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Watch T1, then T2, then stop. ;-)

Seriously, though, I did that two days ago and it was perfect. It all starts, flows, and ends on a very perfect note. By continuing after that, you pretty much negate everything that Cameron just set up and spent two movies combating. I doubt I'll ever watch the latter two again. The first two back-to-back is one damn good time.
    I absolutely agree that the first two back-to-back is a damn good time, also that noone needs to watch T3 and T4. But negating what Cameron set up? Cameron undermined the whole Terminator concept when he brought back Schwarzenegger. What he set up in the first one is a concept of undetectable machines looking like humans. Sending back a Terminator that looks exctly like the one Sarah Connor already met totally defeats that purpose. It is only due to Cameron´s directing genius that one doesn´t immediately think of this when watching T2.

How is that purpose defeated? I'm confused. The resistance fighters in the future rerouted and altered Schwarzenegger's T2 Terminator to travel back in time to fight the T-1000 and protect John Connor at all costs.

The latter two films negate it because...well, look at how T2 ends. The pieces required to shape Skynet further and incite Judgment Day have been destroyed. Any future war or apocalypse won't happen now. But, they had to milk the Terminator teet and do a third one.

"Yeah, you know all that stuff the first two films tackled? Well, that doesn't matter. The apocalypse and war is going to happen, anyway."
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I love Shirley Manson's work. Yep, doesn't Headey play Sarah Conner herself, or is it another role? I thought it was Conner.

Why am I drawing a complete blank on who Shirley Manson is? And, yes, Headey is Sarah Connor. I miss The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Season 3 would have been damn good had it not gotten shelved (then again, I can say the same damn thing about Revolution and Stargate Universe).
    She's the lead singer of Garbage, who did the theme song to TWINE. She's done some acting roles, as well.

Well since the show got cancelled, and without giving away spoilers, does it...end, to some extent? Or is it just left opened and awkwardly resolved?
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Creasy47 wrote:
    look at how T2 ends. The pieces required to shape Skynet further and incite Judgment Day have been destroyed. Any future war or apocalypse won't happen now.
    But if the war isn't going to happen, Reese is never sent back, and John never gets born. If no one prevents it then it still happens. BTW, where did John come from in the very first time line before the Terminator & Reese were sent back?
    Paradox city.
    BUT. If you're up for a couple of pages of intensely creative theories on this, here ya go:
    http://www.mjyoung.net/time/terminat.html
    I just look at time-travel movies in the most simplistic of senses. I try not to question it, I just watch the events unfold and don't really attempt to think of how something could've happened like that. I just see the first two films as time-travel occurs, the events unfold, and the future is changed for the better. It's time-travel, of course there will be questions and things that really don't make sense, but that's because it's not going to make sense, it isn't real. I just don't like how the setup of the first two films, introduces this and then quashes the war and apocalypse of the future, yet we still get two more films that negate that whole storyline.

But...it's still time-travel. You can't add realism to it because it already doesn't make sense. I'm sure I'm negating myself with it, but when I watch T1 and 2, I try not to think about it too much, I just let the movie take me where it's going to take me so I don't confuse myself and point out numerous plot holes or things that don't make any sense.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't confuse myself and point out numerous plot holes or things that don't make any sense.
    But... everything in a movie MUST make sense, or I can't like it. :-??

Luckily I have the solution. It's called Treknobabble. B-) B-) B-)
    @chrisisall, agreed! If a film has one plot hole or goof, then it's trash and unworthy of my time.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @chrisisall, agreed! If a film has one plot hole or goof, then it's trash and unworthy of my time.
    There is a whole handful of films out there without such damning imperfections!
    >:)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well since the show got cancelled, and without giving away spoilers, does it...end, to some extent? Or is it just left opened and awkwardly resolved?

Open-ended and awkwardly unresolved. Painfully unresolved. Just plain f*cking disappointingly unresolved.
    Netflix should do a season. Or they should make a comic- something
    @Agent007391, I think I'll pass on the show, then. Nothing worse than putting a lot of time into something just to get painfully disappointed.
    Creasy, you ought to watch the pilot episode at least. It ends not so much in a cliffhanger, but it's like 'whoa, they could go anywhere with this story now!' It's pretty cool
    I agree, the pilot is definitely worth a look.
    I might have to do at least that. I'm sure if it's good enough, then I'll continue watching, I just won't expect something good with the outcome.
    @Creasy47, no, don't get wound up in the series, just watch the pilot the way you'd watch Terminator: Salvation as an interesting side story. That's my opinion, anyways.
    chrisisall wrote:
    @Creasy47, no, don't get wound up in the series, just watch the pilot the way you'd watch Terminator: Salvation as an interesting side story. That's my opinion, anyways.

Can do. I'll give it a shot in the future. Still have some more movies I want to get through, and after so many 'Orange Is The New Black' recommendations, I might check that out.

Creasy47 wrote:
    But...it's still time-travel. You can't add realism to it because it already doesn't make sense. I'm sure I'm negating myself with it, but when I watch T1 and 2, I try not to think about it too much, I just let the movie take me where it's going to take me so I don't confuse myself and point out numerous plot holes or things that don't make any sense.
    That´s exactly my point. With T1 and T2 you can do that, with T3 and T4 you can´t. It´s not so much what is in the story, but how it´s done.
    Like Cubby Broccoli or Harry Salzman once said, you have to make the film in a way that the audience doesn´t care to think about plotholes or the like.

Nice to see even Terminator's go grey eventually! ;)
    I didn't pick up any spoilers from this:

J. K. Simmons talks Terminator: Genesis

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/j-k-simmons-talks-terminator-genesis-1

I didn't realize he was in the film. I do like him as an actor.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,459
    I don't think it's properly clicked that he's in the film, either. This makes it even more interesting to me.

EDIT: Here's an image of futuristic armor from the film:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=101783
    Bite off his other ear!