Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• edited August 2014 Posts: 4,813
    This could potentially be bad news (I hope I'm wrong and just looking too much into it)

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/104277/20140815/terminator-5-plot.htm

Ok, so the important parts I picked up from the above article are as follows- I'm curious to see your opinions as well:

* Arnold is already done filming.
    * We already know that part of the movie takes place in 1984....

"REMEMBER ME?"

6975_3.jpg

... and yet Arnold says 'two T-800 robots are in the sequel: a younger one controlled by Skynet and another older version that's about to get reprogrammed and will be shown later in the movie.'

Now keep that in mind as you read this next point:

* Aaron V. Williamson revealed that he signed on to play the younger T-800 role.

So a few things disturb me about what I've read:
    One: Is Arnold not in very much of the movie? And not until the end?
    Two: Is the evil 1984 Terminator not a 'digitally younger' Arnold (like I always imagined), and now played by this guy?

1bb83249b372dfa8fd4c095f56088132.jpg?itok=UToputTg

Am I just reading too much into this or do you suppose my fears may be correct?

* EDIT I would like to add that if nothing else, this movie will be rated R after what happened with Expendables 3
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As soon as the tytle was announced, I had a feeling some things were going to be revealed that shook my confidence in the film.
    I don´t care, I just want a bloody good film. For my reasoning, Arnold´s presence in the film has got nothing to with that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Production has finished full-stop. Filming is complete.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nevermind Arnold, it'ss Khaleesi I want to see :x
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Arnold is an important part of Terminator but not a necessary part I think. Salvation, for example, had a perfectly good chance of being a great Terminator film but Bale and the American rating system screwed up. The Arnold-ish terminator doesn't really make a difference IMO.
    Why a reboot full stop? They should have continued with the Bale story!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    but Bale and the American rating system screwed up.

I get Bale (he didn't do a bad job, but when you don't even do as good as Nick Stahl in the role of John Connor...), but how did the American rating system screw it up? They looked at the film, saw a PG-13, and there you go. The problem was the studio shooting for a PG-13, not the MPAA giving it one.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Why a reboot full stop? They should have continued with the Bale story!

/thread.

With regards to the concerns raised by @Master_Dahark, I can't say that I'd be the least bit surprised if that actually turned out to be the case. This film has had 'disaster' written all over it from the time it was announced, and is now not helped by an extremely silly title and the possibility of the film's one true asset not really being a big part of the film at all.

They should have continued forward with a sequel to Terminator Salvation. That film did a good enough job, as flawed as it is, of moving the story forward. If I recall correctly, McG even had a rather cool idea for what Terminator 5 could have become, but instead we're being given a reboot that is just going to cover ground that's already been covered.
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Well that does make me feel better about Arnold.

"REMEMBER ME?"

6975_3.jpg

... and yet Arnold says 'two T-800 robots are in the sequel: a younger one controlled by Skynet and another older version that's about to get reprogrammed and will be shown later in the movie.'
    You know, after giving it some thought I came to realize that when Arnold said that, he may have actually meant 'two T-800 robots in addition to the one that's already in 1984.
    That would make sense, since that one was sent to 1984 way before the other ones (relatively speaking)
    Also, it would also make sense for two new Terminators to be in 1984 because Sarah and Reese already defeated the one; why would they need 'old' Arnold's help?

So 'young Arnold' might still be in it after all

"Yay."

6975_3.jpg
    Logic and sense flew out the window as soon as the 2nd Terminator hit the screens. So the only thing that´s gonna save any new Terminator film is being a helluva film.
  • I really don't like the title.

Still on the fence about this. It's great that Arnie is back but I dunno how well this whole half reboot half sequel idea will work. Plus the guy who played Jack Mcclane in Die Hard 5 is playing Reese. Maybe it was the scripts fault and not his but I really didn't like him in that film. He had no charisma, no chemistry with Bruce Willis, he was wooden and boring imo. But like I said, that film was pretty crap, so maybe it was the scripts fault and he'll be better in this.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree, @thelivingroyale. Jai Courtney bored me to death in Jack Reacher, Die Hard 5 and Divergent. His casting as Reese feels a lot like the casting of Worthington in Salvation: here we have a actor who's kinda hot at the time but may be completely forgotten in under five years from now.

Then again, I'm always reminded of Tom Hardy. I first saw him in Star Trek: Nemesis and wondered if he had ever actually seen someone act, let alone acted himself. Now I think the world of Tom Hardy. Funny how such things go. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Jai Courtney played one of my favorite character in the 1st season of the tv show Spartacus. Sadly, his cinematic career leaves a lot to desire. The movies @DarthDimi listed speak for themselves: Die Hard 5 and Jack Reacher had abysmal acting from Jai Courtney.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Why they didn't choose Billy Miller as Kyle Reese is beyond me.

He's identical to Michael Biehn.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Good choice, @Walecs. I, too, wonder why they didn't cast someone closer to Biehn's looks. Normally, I wouldn't be bothered too much about likeness, but when a film revisits past events, I expect there to be similarities between the two. At least Emilia Clarke looks like Linda Hamilton in certain photos, so a bit of makeup should do wonders for her.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Well that does make me feel better about Arnold.

"REMEMBER ME?"

6975_3.jpg

You know, after giving it some thought I came to realize that when Arnold said that, he may have actually meant 'two T-800 robots in addition to the one that's already in 1984.
    That would make sense, since that one was sent to 1984 way before the other ones (relatively speaking)
    Also, it would also make sense for two new Terminators to be in 1984 because Sarah and Reese already defeated the one; why would they need 'old' Arnold's help?

So 'young Arnold' might still be in it after all

"Yay."

6975_3.jpg

I actually worked on the set here in New Orleans and saw loads of spoilers. I'm not going to give away specific details but will say that this film will alter the timeline as we know it now. This is done in a very cool way and will allow future films to operate without the restrictions of having to fit an established history. . As far as multiple Terminators. I believe there will be various models, other than Arnold's; and who's to say that a T-800 was not sent back, with a mission, to a time significantly prior to 1984? I don't man to frustrate with a cryptic posting but these filmmakers are working hard to make a very spectacular movie; I'm not going to spoil with specifics.

Good to know, @talos7, thanks for sharing! I bet it was fun being a part of that!!

My guess is that the new T-800 is sent to perhaps the 50's or 60's to do... something. Then it's still around in 1984 (and looks like Arnold as we know him now)

I can't wait to see what they've got in store!!
    I can't wait to see this second, older Terminator walking around, carrying groceries, and then Sarah Connor runs past, he drops the groceries and joins the fray.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I agree, @thelivingroyale. Jai Courtney bored me to death in Jack Reacher, Die Hard 5 and Divergent. His casting as Reese feels a lot like the casting of Worthington in Salvation: here we have a actor who's kinda hot at the time but may be completely forgotten in under five years from now.

Then again, I'm always reminded of Tom Hardy. I first saw him in Star Trek: Nemesis and wondered if he had ever actually seen someone act, let alone acted himself. Now I think the world of Tom Hardy. Funny how such things go. ;-)
    The comparison of Jai Courtney with Sam Worthington came to my mind multiple times too. Which is sad, because when I saw the first pics from the DieHard5 set I thought he´s got a great rugged face.

But I find it interesting what you say about Hardy, @DarthDimi. When I watched Nemesis, always thought his performance was one of the better things in that movie.
    Which of course in the case of Nemesis isn´t contradicted by what you said ;-).

The first two Cameron movies are the only ones that hold any relevance for me. Other two films are mixed, though watchable. Reading some info on the next movie makes me think of Back to the future 2.
    That sounds like an interesting comparison.
    If Genisys is going to be to Back to the Future what Edge of Tomorrow was to Groundhog Day, then there´s still hope.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The final two films have release dates:

19 May 2017 and 29 June 2018.

In 2019, as you know, rights revert back to James Cameron.
    They expect big things from Genisys, don't they?
  • Not new news unfortunately, but I did come across this, and was pretty impressed

attachment.php?attachmentid=8142
    Impressive.
    Cannot fault the mans dedication to get into shape!
    I wish the older Terminator would have a beard. I just saw Expendables 3 over the weekend, and Arnie looked awesome with a beard.