Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The powers that be be behind the next incarnation of Bond could learn a lot from Picard season 3 and Top Gun: Maverick.; strive to tell new, exciting stories, but respect your origins.

100% right on.

+2 :)>-
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Maybe my biggest complaint/nitpick of the finale:

I think rechristening the Titan as the Enterprise G is bull****. Arguably the Titan has earned its place as a big name for saving Earth. To just rebrand it as the new Enterprise is kinda disrespectful towards Riker and Shaw.

If Matalas wants to spin-off with that, I think he inadvertently shot himself in the foot. I don’t think Paramount would want to have two different Trek series with ships named Enterprise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2023 Posts: 14,951
    Yes much as I would enjoy it, and I think Seven is a great character, I don’t really see how you can have two shows doing the same thing just with different casts. If you can swap a script from one show to the other then one of them is redundant.
    This Section 31 thing is a one-off though; maybe they can do one of those.
    Simply WOW!!!!! For season 3 of Picard. Talk about fresh material but also massively nostalgic! Loved it!!!! :-bd
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think Picard Season 3 is better than all the TNG movies.

My TNG film ranking is...

First Contact
    Nemesis
    Generations
    Insurrection
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,334
    765874 - Regeneration (4K)

WOW! Incredible.

Collaboration between OTOY and Roddenberry Archive.

---

Definitely watch the above short film before reading this article, amazing things are happening with Star Trek...

The Roddenberry Archive brings every iteration of Star Trek’s USS Enterprise bridge to life – with William Shatner, Terry Matalas and John de Lancie
    https://home.otoy.com/roddenberryarchive_april2023/

WOW! this has made my year, I got chills watching the Enterprise documentary.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,334

WOW! Incredible.

I have watched this maybe 50 times, ii would have been amazing if this was in Picard Season 3 as a prologue..

Just heard that the 4th Star Trek Kelvin timeline movie is called Star Trek Forever, and its a straight to Paramount+... pinch of salt me thinks.
    If they really are intent on making a Kelvin film, have it be the last one in theaters. Let Chris Pine and the cast go off on high note. It would feel like a downgrade to just put them on streaming after the last three were theatrical.

After that, they should try one-off movies on Paramount+. Maybe revive that Tarantino project if he’s open to doing that.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    New trailer for ST:SNW season 2:

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They lean a bit too much int the quips and attempted humor; hopefully it’s not something that saturates the series
    I think that’s just the marketing leaning in on the humor that’s there. Sort of like how the marketing for PICARD made that show feel grim but it still had humor.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,334
    Resubscribed to Paramount +, thought I would watch ST:SNW S1 again in preparation for S2.

ST:SNW S1 along with Picard S3 is easily the best of new Star Trek.

I am a bit disappointed that we are still not getting Paramount + in 4K in the UK.

WOW! Incredible.

---

Definitely watch the above short film before reading this article, amazing things are happening with Star Trek...

The Roddenberry Archive brings every iteration of Star Trek’s USS Enterprise bridge to life – with William Shatner, Terry Matalas and John de Lancie

Absolutely fantastic!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

WOW! Incredible.

---

Absolutely fantastic!

Incredible work I can't wait to see what else they do going forward.
    Over the last 10 or so months I've been watching all of the Star Trek films, most of which for the first time. So here is my ranking, which even I know is controversial.
    13. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    12. Star Trek Into Darkness
    11. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    10. Star Trek: Nemesis
    09. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    08. Star Trek: Generations
    07. Star Trek: First Contact
    06. Star Trek: Insurrection
    05. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    04. Star Trek Beyond
    03. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    02. Star Trek
    01. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Even though this is a series with it's fair share of hits and misses, I still enjoyed the experience of watching this series and seeing it evolve over time.
    Modern Star Trek ( aka KurtzmanTrek ) is mostly garbage.

Discovery is by far the worst entry in the franchise.One of the worst shows ever in fact.

Picard seasons one and two were horrible but amazingly,Season 3 was brilliant.This is what happens when you put someone who actually loves Star Trek and is talented as showrunner ( Thank you Terry Matalas ).

Strange New Worlds.Not bad.It’s pretty much a nostalgia trip to the era of classic TOS but it’s thrown continuity out the window ( Kirk made first contact with the Gorn but SNW which is supposed to be a prequel has had multiple encounters with them already ).It’s also very,very woke,with race swapping of originally white characters and lots of girlboss moments.

Watched one episode of Lower Decks and Prodigy each and gave up.Garbage.

The coming Starfleet academy show,if it’s set in the Discovery era then I’m not interested.

Picard spin off featuring Captain Seven and her lesbian lover First officer? No thanks.Should have kept Shaw alive and featured a spin off about him.Terrific character and actor.
    You’re really missing out on Lower Decks by just only dismissing it after one episode. You praise S3 of Picard partly because it’s made by someone who undoubtedly loves Star Trek. This is absolutely the case with Lower Decks as well. It couldn’t have been made by anyone other than those who love Trek and the universe it inhabits.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I concur. Lower Decks quickly grows into it's own and is very enjoyable.
    I was skeptical of the show when it originally came out, in fact I didn’t actually watch it when the episodes originally aired. Wasn’t until good word of mouth hit that I decided to give it a shot.

I think the ending of the second episode “Envoys” was the moment that made me realize there would be more to the show than I expected. It’s just two friends in the Jeffries tube. They were supposed to hang out in the mess hall watching a pulsar star together, but work got in the way for Ensign Rutherford, who was assigned to work in the Jeffries tube. So Ensign Tendi decides to just hang out with him there and watch the star from a padd while Rutherford admires the work he just finished.

102-envoys-br-524.jpg

102-envoys-br-526.jpg

After this episode, and as I binged through the rest of the first season, I realized this wasn’t the Trek show I wanted, but it turned out to be the Trek show I needed. And I think it’s gotten better. Even expanding into more serious episodes (usually towards the end of a season) where big things happen and the jokes/snark get downplayed to remind viewers that this is still a Starfleet vessel that needs to answer the call when things get grim.
    Star Trek: SNW S1 ep1 first of all I did like the first season there were some genuinely great episodes. The second season unfortunately started very poorly I asked myself a few times whilst watching 'what the hell is this...'. it was STD level bad at times, hopefully it is just a blip and gets back on course with the next episode.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Just watched episode 1 of season 2 - I enjoyed it. Nothing ground-breaking going on, typical first episode just setting up the story for the season but not a bad show by any means. Got a bit emotional in the last 10 minutes and Carol Kane is fun when you can understand what she's saying.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Just watched episode 1 of season 2 - I enjoyed it. Nothing ground-breaking going on, typical first episode just setting up the story for the season but not a bad show by any means. Got a bit emotional in the last 10 minutes and Carol Kane is fun when you can understand what she's saying.

The set up for the season was decent enough, its just certain things that happened in the episode were a bit of a stretch for me though at least they got the
    Klingon make up right.

I thought I recognized Carol Kane, she is crackers in Scrooged.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    at least they got the
    Klingon make up right.
    Makes a big difference, doesn't it. I'm kinda bored with those guys though. Personally I miss the episodes where the crew come across new lifeforms and how they deal with them. Strange new worlds, right? Seems like just about every TOS episode was doing that. I miss the unfamiliar; the mystery element in ST.
    Yeah she was Penguin's mum in Gotham, the nice but weird old lady who gets offed. You can really feel his pain in that loss.
    QBranch wrote: »
    at least they got the
    Klingon make up right.
    Makes a big difference, doesn't it. I'm kinda bored with those guys though. Personally I miss the episodes where the crew come across new lifeforms and how they deal with them. Strange new worlds, right? Seems like just about every TOS episode was doing that. I miss the unfamiliar; the mystery element in ST.
    Yeah she was Penguin's mum in Gotham, the nice but weird old lady who gets offed. You can really feel his pain in that loss.

I will give the season 2 premier another go, i was tired from work when I watched it. Fresh idea's and new aliens and planets would be welcome I also think some of the CGI seemed poor in comparison to last season. Sometimes I think they are trying to put too much on the screen when I would be happy with just a great beauty pass of the Enterprise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I loved Season 1 of SNW, and Picard S3 knocked it right out of the park, so I was really looking forward to SNW S2.

Unfortunately I was underwhelmed by the first episode, and I turned off the second one about fifteen minutes in. I will retry this weekend. But I found it dull, dull, and dull.
    peter wrote: »
    I loved Season 1 of SNW, and Picard S3 knocked it right out of the park, so I was really looking forward to SNW S2.

Unfortunately I was underwhelmed by the first episode, and I turned off the second one about fifteen minutes in. I will retry this weekend. But I found it dull, dull, and dull.

I did the same with the second episode also, I just was not in the mood for what was going on so switched it off, I will give the first two episodes another go I do want to like the show because of season 1.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm with you @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Just watched Star Trek: SNW S2 ep2 all the way through, wow that got to me great episode. Ad Astra per Aspera is Star Trek at its best.
    Star Trek: SNW S2 ep3 OH My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!