Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »
    I've been enjoying Season 2 a lot thus far. I thought the crossover with Lower Decks was really fun. This generation's Trials and Tribblelations.

Glad you are enjoying it, I am really struggling with the show, especially the treatment of Spock.

I do feel they have made Spock the butt of way too many jokes this season. But I feel like it's building up to something.

When I first started watching this episode I actually thought for a second if this was The Orville I would probably enjoy it more, my expectations of Star Trek I expect and gravitate to the more serious episodes.

You're not the only one. This season does feel a lot more Orville like ironically enough. It has a lot in common with season 2 of The Orville as well. It's certainly been interesting. Episode 8 will definitely be to your liking I think. :)

I am probably too stuck in my ways and have fixed expectations with certain genre's lol I will watch the Klingon episode next. It is my birthday today so I should be more open minded with Trek maybe lol

Oh nice! Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy it. I definitely know the feeling. I have similar expectations myself. It's one of the reasons I didn't like Discovery. :))

Cheers pal, I really struggled with Discovery the last season was really bad.

I will still watch the final season of STD, as a Trek fan I still have to endure all the shows good or bad :))

Discovery had many issues though effects wise I absolutely hated the ships disassemblimg and ressemblimg, it looked awful I rather see great model shots of Star Fleet Vessels..
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've been enjoying Season 2 a lot thus far. I thought the crossover with Lower Decks was really fun. This generation's Trials and Tribblelations.

Glad you are enjoying it, I am really struggling with the show, especially the treatment of Spock.

I do feel they have made Spock the butt of way too many jokes this season. But I feel like it's building up to something.

When I first started watching this episode I actually thought for a second if this was The Orville I would probably enjoy it more, my expectations of Star Trek I expect and gravitate to the more serious episodes.

You're not the only one. This season does feel a lot more Orville like ironically enough. It has a lot in common with season 2 of The Orville as well. It's certainly been interesting. Episode 8 will definitely be to your liking I think. :)

I am probably too stuck in my ways and have fixed expectations with certain genre's lol I will watch the Klingon episode next. It is my birthday today so I should be more open minded with Trek maybe lol

Oh nice! Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy it. I definitely know the feeling. I have similar expectations myself. It's one of the reasons I didn't like Discovery. :))

I will still watch the final season of STD, as a Trek fan I still have to endure all the shows good or bad :))

Discovery had many issues though effects wise I absolutely hated the ships disassemblimg and ressemblimg, it looked awful I rather see great model shots of Star Fleet Vessels..

I could only get through season 1 but I promised my friend that I'd watch season 2 with him to catch up on the Pike and Spock stuff. Wish me luck. :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I could only get through season 1 but I promised my friend that I'd watch season 2 with him to catch up on the Pike and Spock stuff. Wish me luck. :D

STD season 1 and 2 are manageable, I can't even remember what happens in season 3 (Super space angel :)) I have lost track only watched the show once? ).

On reflection there is a the odd episode of STD that is decent though a rare occurrence.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Yeah I think it’s fun to see Trek make such big swings. When it comes to a crossover between these two shows I don’t think they could do better. In a lot of ways SNW is the only show of the modern era that could pull off a LDS crossover because its episodic nature allows for different tones of episodes. It wouldn’t have worked for the more serialized nature of PICARD or DISCOVERY.
    There I was thinking Star Trek was back after the excellent third of Picard.

But good god,SNW is almost as bad as Discovery now.
    Your loss!
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    There I was thinking Star Trek was back after the excellent third of Picard.

But good god,SNW is almost as bad as Discovery now.

I reviewer commented that perhaps because SNW Season 2 was released after Picard Season 3 it has highlighted SNW Season 2 flaws even more, i tend to agree.

Picard Season 3 clearly illustrated that they can produce much better Trek. Personally i would give the keys to the kingdom to Terry Matalas as he clearly knows what he is doing with Trek.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,025
    I enjoyed S3, but I find it to be kind of overrated. I wouldn’t go as far as calling it some of the best Trek of all time. I feel that fans got a little too caught up in the fan service to overlook the flaws that had been prevalent in previous seasons such as story structure, and misplaced beats such as that bit where Riker tells Picard in front of the entire crew “you killed us all”. It’s the best season of PICARD, but I wouldn’t rate it as high as some of the stronger seasons of TOS/TNG/DS9 or even ENTERPRISE.

I’m still peeved over the ending with the Titan being rechristened as Enterprise G. If they had to rename it, it should have been the USS Picard, or even better, remain Titan. I’m not even sure I would be all that excited about a show with Seven, Raffi and Jack Crusher (who I don’t buy as Starfleet material).

If Matalas wants to create a true Next Next Generation, he should just jump ahead to the 26th century the way TNG jumped to the 24th century after TOS. Give us a whole new cast of characters. Explore new territory, introduce new aliens, minimal ties to the previous shows… pretty much like what TNG successfully did.

Anyway, if I were to rank the Kurtzman era seasons, it would probably go like this:

SNW S1
    LDS S3
    LDS S2
    LDS S1
    PICARD S3
    DISCO S3
    DISCO S4
    PICARD S1
    DISCO S1
    DISCO S2
    PICARD S2

Haven’t seen PRODIGY, so I can’t rank that.
    Kurtzman era ranking is not easy, plus i have only seen a few episodes of Lower decks. From what i have seen of the live actios shows...

Picard season 3
    SNW season 1
    Picard season 1 (it was ok i just think the ending was ridiculous)
    STD season 2 (because of the SNW cast, it is one season of STD I would revisit)
    SNW season 2 (this will likely move up a place)
    STD Season 1
    Picard season 2
    STD Season 3
    STD Season 4

The STD season's are a bit of a blur especially 3 and 4 much like the special effects in the show. I am probably getting some of the STD seasons mixed up, which episodes appear where.

Lower Decks is leaving Prime Video soon so going to give it another shot, watching episode 1. Maybe I am just missing the point with this show, is it supposed to be like Family Guy?
    edited August 2023 Posts: 16,333
    Lower Decks is leaving Prime Video soon so going to give it another shot, watching episode 1. Maybe I am just missing the point with this show, is it supposed to be like Family Guy?

Episode 1 of Lower Decks is honestly not a good starting point for the series. It is a parody but it's a parody with heart. It quickly comes into it's own by the end of the season. It's worth watching but the early episodes can be rough. I'd say keep with it and might warm to you.

Episode 1 of Lower Decks is honestly not a good starting point for the series. It is a parody but it's a parody with heart. It quickly comes into it's own by the end of the season. It's worth watching but the early episodes can be rough. I'd say keep with it and might warm to you.

I will keep that in mind, the early episodes I am zoning out whilst watching admittedly, the first 2 episodes are a bit hectic and childish for my liking.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm finding S2 of SNW a touch too comedic/jolly for my tastes, plus Pike really feels sidelined. Hoping it gets better.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @echo.

I'm finding Pike is less their Captain in S2, and more the crew's big brother. And I don't mean to offend anyone who likes this show, but I can't stand the casting of Kirk.
    It’s funny that Pike has a lot more parallels with Sisko in SNW. His depiction in “The Cage” where he’s going through a funk and contemplating leaving Starfleet is pretty much repeated with Sisko in “Emissary”. But unlike Sisko, we didn’t really get to see much of how Hunter’s Pike would be like in the series proper. Now that we finally get that with SNW, Pike ends up being pretty much like Sisko in the early seasons of DS9. Right down to playing chef for his crew.
    Pike is probably my new favorite Captain. He's so relatable and charismatic. Anson Mount is such a terrific choice to play the role. It is a shame to see less of him this season but he took some time off to take care of his newborn child so that's quite admirable.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,411
    Star Trek: SNW S2ep8 good episode quite dark, introduces an unstable element to the show, more of this tone please.

As a side note Ortega should be fired for constant insubordination.

Great to see a familiar face who also appeared in TOS.
  • Seems like there will be a bit of whiplash with the next episode.. though it is nice to have the variety, I wonder how people will like it.
    It's definitely going to be... fascinating. ;)
    I’m not generally a fan of musicals, but I did enjoy Buffy’s episode. If SNW can make it work as well as Buffy, then I call that a win.
    I’m not generally a fan of musicals, but I did enjoy Buffy’s episode. If SNW can make it work as well as Buffy, then I call that a win.

I avoid watching the trailers for SNW so did not fully get the context of this post. Just watched the first 8 minutes of SNW S2Ep9 just when I thought things could not get any worse :))

---

I had to switch it off, I will attempt to watch this episode later, I don't think i can endure a full episode of this in one viewing. I have a feeling the way the episode is set up quite a few plot threads will be tied up in this one.

Edited: I switched on subtitles and put volume on mute, it was still unbearable cringe. The season finale better knock it out of the park.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Well I loved it. I'm very much a musicals novice but I'd been hyping up this episode it was announced and it more than delivered. I've had the soundtrack on loop since this morning. Favourite has to be 'I'm Ready' love the 'Back to Black' Winehouse vibes but 'Status Report' goes hard and 'Connect to Your Truth' was a nice jaunty interlude.

Although I thought they were setting up for a Kirk bros. duet, so I disappointed that that didn't happened. I would've traded that for the Spock solo, which I felt was the weakest and only really there for the image of a Spock singing.

But I put off watching SNW until now after being burnt out on Discovery s3 and I'm so glad I've gotten back into it because this along with Lower Decks are my new favourite shows. I have missed the sense of fun and they are both so charming.
    I always believed a show like DISCO would have been better served if it wasn’t the first Trek to kick off this new era. They really should have started with SNW as the big return of TV Trek, and then maybe a show like DISCO would have been more accepted as the serialized/experimental counterpart to SNW. There wouldn’t have been all the pressure of trying to make it the one prestige/serialized Trek series everyone depended on. There wouldn’t be that revolving door of shows-runners and reinventing itself TWICE in three seasons.

Contrast that with SNW and LDS. Both shows had very solid foundational premises and has stuck to them, whereas DISCO didn’t seem to have one for itself at the start, and arguably hasn’t had one until S3 when it became about rebuilding the Federation.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 1,394
    I tried watching the first episode of SNW season 2 and gave up after ten minutes.Was that old blonde lady supposed to be funny? Her voice was like nails on the chalkboard.

Iv also heard on the grapevine that they trample all over canon again by depicting the eugenics wars not happening until the 2020s ( 1990s according to TOS ) and once again,The Gorn should not have even have been heard of during Pikes captaincy of the Enterprise.

The guy playing Dr.M’benga is a good actor but I struggle to hear what he’s saying as he whispers so much

Star Trek: SNW S2ep10 I have mixed feelings about the season finale, a lot of damage was done already leading up to this episode which undermined an otherwise decent adventure.

Some of the characters just come across as utter fools, the writers have managed to make me dislike characters that I thought were better written in the first season. By the end of the episode I just about cared what was going on, alas there were a few characters I would have happily seen the back of.

Spock is unrecognizable from well Spock, he is quite a pathetic character in this show now. With the introduction of a certain individual it is clear as day that the writers are using J.J. Abrams Trek as source material and not TOS.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Watched episode 9 - Spock and his song 'I'm the X' sounds like John Grant.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Pike is probably my new favorite Captain. He's so relatable and charismatic. Anson Mount is such a terrific choice to play the role. It is a shame to see less of him this season but he took some time off to take care of his newborn child so that's quite admirable.

That makes a lot of sense because I've felt his absence from most of the episodes.
    If you are a fan of the music you may like this Star Trek music radio station...
    d671d39f4d0a23db1226a8442498b46f?t=_120x120
    https://laut.fm/startrek
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Anson Mount would make a good Felix
    talos7 wrote: »
    Anson Mount would make a good Felix

Good call.