Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Please elaborate…!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Please elaborate…!

Did you watch the episode.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    No. In Germany you need a Paramount subscrption and apart from ST there is just not enough content for me that interests me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    No. In Germany you need a Paramount subscrption and apart from ST there is just not enough content for me that interests me.

It is a very conflicting episode as in some ways it bad and others its great, at one point it is the worst lore breaking in Star Trek history.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And my home city looked awesome in it...The Lakeview is a cool diner, and many films and TV shows shoot there...
    peter wrote: »
    And my home city looked awesome in it...The Lakeview is a cool diner, and many films and TV shows shoot there...

The Toronto gag was amusing as many TV show double it as NY.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,411
    I like La'an, my favorite character on SNW. There is a honesty about her character.
  • peter wrote: »

It was great to see Dundas Square! I used to go to a film school nearby, 10 years ago! Really enjoying SNW Season 2 so far.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

It is a very conflicting episode as in some ways it bad and others its great, at one point it is the worst lore breaking in Star Trek history.
    Shifting the Eugenics Wars prior to WW3 via Temporal War shenanigans isn’t really a big violation for me. But it is pretty pointless IMO. I get why the showrunner did that, but it’s like the biggest “so what?” for me. Like, are they gonna do the same thing when real life passes 2063 and there’s no WW3 or First Contact? I wish they would just focus on making good stories in 2260, rather than try “fixing” the Trek timeline to better reflect our own. I couldn’t care less about the Eugenics Wars.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I watched the first episode (P+ put it free on YouTube) and it's just blandy McBlanderson US TV fare. Naff obvious gags, plot that goes where you expect, plus some boring fight scenes. It doesn't make me want to subscribe at all.

It was great to see Dundas Square! I used to go to a film school nearby, 10 years ago! Really enjoying SNW Season 2 so far.

Its been mixed for me out of the first 3 episodes I like 1 and half of the episodes, episode 2 was pretty great though.
    mtm wrote: »
    I watched the first episode (P+ put it free on YouTube) and it's just blandy McBlanderson US TV fare. Naff obvious gags, plot that goes where you expect, plus some boring fight scenes. It doesn't make me want to subscribe at all.

I did not like it though the second episode is much better.

Shifting the Eugenics Wars prior to WW3 via Temporal War shenanigans isn’t really a big violation for me. But it is pretty pointless IMO. I get why the showrunner did that, but it’s like the biggest “so what?” for me. Like, are they gonna do the same thing when real life passes 2063 and there’s no WW3 or First Contact? I wish they would just focus on making good stories in 2260, rather than try “fixing” the Trek timeline to better reflect our own. I couldn’t care less about the Eugenics Wars.

At this point I think with modern Trek I need to completely ignore everything pre Nemesis to give myself the opportunity to fully enjoy it.
    Star Trek: SNW S2ep4 There were some good idea's in this one though the script was a bit clunky and there were quite a few plot holes.

The concern with this show is based on the fact each season is only 10 episodes, the level of quality is not good enough certainly in S2 so far. I would not be surprised if this gets canceled after a 3rd season.
    Star Trek Generations alternate ending
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 5,987

I enjoyed episode 3 much better than the others. But if I'm honest, there is a huge dropoff in quality from season 1. And not nearly enough Pike. The characters seem very disconnected from each other.

La'an is also my favorite character. But I think even in episode 3 they could have done a lot more with the
    "Would you kill baby Hitler?"
    concept.
    Star Trek: SNW S2ep5 Am I allowed to swear several times in anger, the writers just don't get the characters or cultures of ST. Literally no one is qualified to be enlisted in Star Fleet, the professionalism is none existent.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Star Trek: SNW S2ep5 Am I allowed to swear several times in anger, the writers just don't get the characters or cultures of ST. Literally no one is qualified to be enlisted in Star Fleet, the professionalism is none existent.

I have yet to see any of the episodes from this season, but based on what I’ve seen in previews and clips this seems so have a “CW Network “ sensibility.
    talos7 wrote: »

I have yet to see any of the episodes from this season, but based on what I’ve seen in previews and clips this seems so have a “CW Network “ sensibility.

Its very disappointing, I thought despite a few issues the first season showed some promise.

I think the characters are there to do some good story telling though SNW's has devolved into hokey Star Trek: Discovery bs.

SNW's seems hell bent on making Spock look ridiculous.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Star Trek: First Contact gets a lot of praise for its effects in the latest Corridor Crew video:
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Star Trek: First Contact gets a lot of praise for its effects in the latest Corridor Crew video:

Great work by ILM the Enterprise E looks great in First Contact, its a stark difference to Insurrection, Insurrection suffered because of ILM's absence.
    SPOILERS! This is a fair assessment of the recent SNW episode 'Charades'...
    Star Trek: SNW S2 ep6 pretty good episode, some decent character work in this one.
    Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - Picard's Revenge Scene

I love this scene.
    Star Trek: SNW Ep7 crossover with a bloody animated series episode, I have been putting off watching this its total cringe. WT... hell are the show runners and writers doing with this show it is horrendous, season 1 was good they have totally dropped the ball..

Oh god this is bad, I am having flashbacks to when I started University except it is 1000 times worse. Humans don't talk like this especially in Star Fleet.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've been enjoying Season 2 a lot thus far. I thought the crossover with Lower Decks was really fun. This generation's Trials and Tribblelations.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I've been enjoying Season 2 a lot thus far. I thought the crossover with Lower Decks was really fun. This generation's Trials and Tribblelations.

Glad you are enjoying it, I am really struggling with the show, especially the treatment of Spock.

Glad you are enjoying it, I am really struggling with the show, especially the treatment of Spock.

I do feel they have made Spock the butt of way too many jokes this season. But I feel like it's building up to something.

I do feel they have made Spock the butt of way too many jokes this season. But I feel like it's building up to something.

When I first started watching this episode I actually thought for a second if this was The Orville I would probably enjoy it more, my expectations of Star Trek I expect and gravitate to the more serious episodes.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 16,333

When I first started watching this episode I actually thought for a second if this was The Orville I would probably enjoy it more, my expectations of Star Trek I expect and gravitate to the more serious episodes.

You're not the only one. This season does feel a lot more Orville like ironically enough. It has a lot in common with season 2 of The Orville as well. It's certainly been interesting. Episode 8 will definitely be to your liking I think. :)

You're not the only one. This season does feel a lot more Orville like ironically enough. It has a lot in common with season 2 of The Orville as well. It's certainly been interesting. Episode 8 will definitely be to your liking I think. :)

I am probably too stuck in my ways and have fixed expectations with certain genre's lol I will watch the Klingon episode next. It is my birthday today so I should be more open minded with Trek maybe lol

Edited: Next episode not available we must be a week behind the USA.

I am probably too stuck in my ways and have fixed expectations with certain genre's lol I will watch the Klingon episode next. It is my birthday today so I should be more open minded with Trek maybe lol

Oh nice! Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy it. I definitely know the feeling. I have similar expectations myself. It's one of the reasons I didn't like Discovery. :))