Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Star Trek III Search for Spock - Stealing the Enterprise 1080p

I watched this for the first time 40 years ago, It is still incredible.

After Wrath of Khan never in my life have I ever wanted to see the next film in the series so much. The Search for Spock was a profound moment in my life as a kid..

James Horner's score is god mode.

The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC_1701 amazing, my favorite Star Ship.

I saw it as many times as I saw WOK. And it lead into my favourite Trek film of all time, The Voyage Home.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,326
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Star Trek III Search for Spock - Stealing the Enterprise 1080p

I watched this for the first time 40 years ago, It is still incredible.

After Wrath of Khan never in my life have I ever wanted to see the next film in the series so much. The Search for Spock was a profound moment in my life as a kid..

James Horner's score is god mode.

The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC_1701 amazing, my favorite Star Ship.

I saw it as many times as I saw WOK. And it lead into my favourite Trek film of all time, The Voyage Home.

They are a truly great trilogy of films, I often struggle with the score to The Voyage Home though I understand they are going for a more literally down to earth light hearted tone.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

:)) Shatner is a legend.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Looks like it’s finally happening, but instead of a mini-series it’ll be a TV movie. I’ll be curious who they get to write/direct this.

edited April 2023 Posts: 23,326
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Enjoyed the finale, but was kind of underwhelmed that the solution was the least clever/original thing they could think of. But it makes up for the character and story beats. Despite what Matalas tries to set up for a possible series… I rather they leave this era behind. TNG and its era has a perfect opportunity to end right here. Jump forward to a new era without any minimal ties to the 24th century. That’s what TNG did back in 87.
    Picard season 3 finale was da BOMB.
    Picard S3 Ep10 was amazing I did not want it to end that was very special.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

:-bd

It had no surprises, but sometimes you just want it to end well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »

:-bd

It had no surprises, but sometimes you just want it to end well.

Agreed. I was starting to feel ill… I thought maybe some of my favourites would…. Ya know…. Go the same way as a certain other character….

I felt it was a real shame that the writers weren’t given a twelve episode arc.

My feeling was:
    Entering the hostile Borg-cube to save Jack could have been, and should have been, two and a half episodes, with the last half wrapping-up what happens to Picard and friends; the “next generation”, and their assembly, and; the introduction to Q and a potential new series.

Instead it felt rather rushed that Picard and crew find the Borg, penetrate the ship, save Jack, and then the Enterprise quickly saves the entire landing crew, destroy the Borg, save humanity, etc., etc… This season was so large in scope the producers should have greenlit a twelve parter, not ten, to allow the finale to play out properly

But, I was still very very very pleased with this finale and was blown away by this season, period!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I know what you mean, but I kind of liked that they gave over so much for an epilogue. They deserve it!
    For anyone who’s seen Strange New Worlds: is the feel pretty close to TOS? I’m a picky Trek fan that mainly likes the oldest stuff.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but I kind of liked that they gave over so much for an epilogue. They deserve it!

I hear you. My soul was still full of joy. I had a smile on my face as everything was wrapping itself up…
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    FoxRox wrote: »
    For anyone who’s seen Strange New Worlds: is the feel pretty close to TOS? I’m a picky Trek fan that mainly likes the oldest stuff.

Oh absolutely. It captures that classic TOS feel in spades while feeling new and fresh.
  • Very happy with the finale to Picard. What a great way to cap off the TNG era. I didn’t think it was possible after the first two seasons (skipped S2).
    What’s crazy is that S3 is written by the same writing staff as S2. I don’t think anyone came back from S1 except Akiva Goldsman, and he left after S2 to do Strange New Worlds.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They made it at the same time, apparently. Which makes the total tonal shift in it even harder to reconcile.
    I really think S2 was made just so they could give the characters in S1 an exit before going onto S3 with the reunion. So there probably wasn’t as much passion for S2 like there was for S3. And that’s too bad. I wish S2 was as good. It just felt like they were trying to juggle too many threads in a single season. Get rid of the FBI plot, get rid of the whole thing with Picard’s mother, etc.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I enjoyed it well enough at the time; it was fun enough to keep watching, although not brilliant enough for me to remember very well. I enjoy Seven's character a lot.
  • I just rewatched the TNG films after finishing Picard.. you know the ending to Nemesis isn’t so bad after …

Curious how you all would rank them , I am a casual fan as I haven’t watched these films in their entirety for years .
    1) First Contact
    2) Nemesis (holds up well I thought , at least after watching Insurrection!)
    3) Insurrection (barely , I didn’t enjoy this or Generations very much)
    4) Generations
    Aww, I have a soft spot Generations. That one and First Contact I enjoy, but I don't really care about Nemesis or Insurrection honestly. All the original films I enjoy, even The Final Frontier on some level haha.
    S3 is said to be the fifth movie the cast never got, so if I had to rank them with this season, it probably goes like this.

1. First Contact - 4.5/5
    2. Season 3 - 3.5/5
    3. Generations - 3/5
    4. Insurrection - 2/5
    5. Nemesis 1/5
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just gave First Contact a rewatch last night for the first time in years: it's kind of surprisingly small in scope somehow, I remembered it being bigger and more movie-like.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    Aww, I have a soft spot Generations. That one and First Contact I enjoy, but I don't really care about Nemesis or Insurrection honestly. All the original films I enjoy, even The Final Frontier on some level haha.

I’m looking forward to rewatching these as well ! Generations was okay , maybe I will appreciate it more after getting refreshed with those first films. Insurrection was the most TV-like of the 4. It could have been a two parter in a later TNG season.

S3 is said to be the fifth movie the cast never got, so if I had to rank them with this season, it probably goes like this.

1. First Contact - 4.5/5
    2. Season 3 - 3.5/5
    3. Generations - 3/5
    4. Insurrection - 2/5
    5. Nemesis 1/5

Mine is very different!

1. First Contact - 5/5
    2. Season 3 - 4.5/5
    3. Insurrection - 4/5
    4. Nemesis 3/5*
    5. Generations - 1.5/5
    *This is after watching Picard's finale- a full point was added now that it's not the final outing.
    A criticism I’ll give across all the four TNG films is that they were too episodic. What made the TOS films special is that there was a lasting impact, at least for 2, 3, 4, and 6. They could still work as standalone films to an extent, but with each succeeding film it felt like a journey building off each installment. The TNG films didn’t really do it like that. The Enterprise D gets destroyed, but then the next film opens with the Enterprise E already having been in service, and it feels like we’re just jumping into another episode. You could probably swap FC and INS chronologically and it wouldn’t make a difference
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    I have to admit I was underwhelmed by Picard’s five season. Don't get me wrong, it was well made and had its moments, to be sure. But, honestly, it's left me cold almost from the get-go. Because one of the reasons that Picard has engaged me is because it wasn't "TNG Season Eight." Frankly, if I wanted "TNG Season Eight," I'd go re-watch their four feature films. Between Nemesis and the Picard season one finale dealing (seemingly for the final time) with Data, I thought we'd moved on.

Speaking for myself (if no one else), that's what I wanted. I like TNG, don't get me wrong, and I've got fond memories of it in first-run on my local Fox station growing up and revisiting it in re-runs/Netflix/Paramount+ in the decades since. But the whole point of Picard was to show what came next. And to expand the Trek universe a bit by showing us what life was like beyond the gunboat diplomacy of Starfleet. THAT and the new cast of characters was what Picard seemed to be about.

Don't get me wrong, the first two seasons weren't perfect. Both had pacing issues with season one taking half the season to get going and the second starting off strongly and having to go into wheel-spinning mode (see that episode centered around the FBI agent capturing and letting Picard go 'just cause'). For its faults, it was at least doing something different. That and, in the case of season two, I'm a sucker for a time travel story.

Whereas this third and final season played it safe narratively. Every plot twist is foreseeable, you better be up on Trek from nearly 30 years ago to know WTF is going on, and returns for the sake of returns (I'm looking at you, Professor Moriarty). There’s an IGN video which makes a point about the familiarity of the nebula birth sequence, which gets compared to Farpoint's finale inside the episode itself, as a good thing. It left me cold and about ready to eyeroll. I'd call it cynical, but apparently it's giving the majority of the fans what they wanted from Picard.

Years ago talking about Doctor Who, someone told me that nostalgia and references don't equal a good story. I've never felt that be quite so true as my experience with this season. True, there's an episode left and there's a chance that it could wow me. For now, I'm rather missing the show called Picard that I originally came to and that I actually liked.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The powers that be be behind the next incarnation of Bond could learn a lot from Picard season 3 and Top Gun: Maverick.; strive to tell new, exciting stories, but respect your origins.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The powers that be be behind the next incarnation of Bond could learn a lot from Picard season 3 and Top Gun: Maverick.; strive to tell new, exciting stories, but respect your origins.

100% right on.