Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I agree that it seems unlikely it'll happen. Beyond wasn't a hit I think, and it's been so long, it would be a surprise if they did it again. But I do think the cast is pretty great and Beyond showed they have really fun adventure films in them. And y'know, Simon Pegg could grow a moustache for the next one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 13 Posts: 23,459
    Just bought Star trek The Undiscovered County on 4K Disk, its not at the level of The Motion Picture (not many films are) though it is a step up from the Bluray. the sound for The Undiscovered County is very impressive.

This purchase will prompt me to buy the remainder of the Star Trek movies on 4K I don't own yet. Star Trek V looks particularly impressive from reviews I have watched.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love The Undiscovered Country. Plummer was brilliant and I love the whole whodunnit mystery about this installment.
    I love the entire original series movie run. Honestly, even though it’s not that good, I still get enjoyment out of V these days. Right now I’m feeling like II > III > VI > IV > I > V, but it’s subject to change of course. Definitely have to add them all to my 4K collection someday.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    peter wrote: »
    I love The Undiscovered Country. Plummer was brilliant and I love the whole whodunnit mystery about this installment.

It has become one of my favorites from the series, I saw it at the cinema back in the early 90's I was five minutes late so my first viewing I missed the explosion on Praxis which sticks with me, I saw the film again the following day from the start.

Plummer chews up the scenery to great effect, great direction and dialogue. I am looking forward to watching the directors cut in 4K after work tomorrow, it was the perfect send off for the original crew.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Just bought Star trek The Undiscovered County on 4K Disk, its not at the level of The Motion Picture (not many films are) though it is a step up from the Bluray. the sound for The Undiscovered County is very impressive.

I think it was the first Trek film to get its sound mix mastered by THX. That’s why it sounds like a huge leap in sound quality after the first five. Very immersive sound with crisp dialogue. It almost looks like it could be a brand new film released today, especially with all the handheld camerawork.
    edited January 14 Posts: 23,459

I think it was the first Trek film to get its sound mix mastered by THX. That’s why it sounds like a huge leap in sound quality after the first five. Very immersive sound with crisp dialogue. It almost looks like it could be a brand new film released today, especially with all the handheld camerawork.

Sounds great through my Dolby Atmos speakers.

There is a good amount of grain which helps with the detail of the image on The Undiscovered County, it looks more natural on the 4K version now its not smoothed out. I will watch the film tonight after the sport, I have forgotten what was added int the directors cut (don't tell me, want it to be a surprise lol).
    I’ll just say I prefer the 1992 version of the Director’s Cut. There’s a very crucial sequence that was altered in 2004 that I’m not too big a fan of.
    The Undiscovered County 20 minutes in the writing is outstanding, it is all about the writing Hollywood hint hint.

Edited: This is good a must 4K purchase,

---

Irrespective of how you rank the first 6 ST films, we were incredibly lucky to have writing and film making of this standard.
    My eyes welled up Shatner is the greatest of all time. (with Sir Sean).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

There is a good amount of grain which helps with the detail of the image on The Undiscovered County, it looks more natural on the 4K version now its not smoothed out. I will watch the film tonight after the sport, I have forgotten what was added int the directors cut (don't tell me, want it to be a surprise lol).

Yes the previous Blu Ray looked horrible, as if all the colour had been smeared on with a palette knife. The new 4K remasters are terrific.
    The U.S.S. Enterprise D Returns | Star Trek Picard Season 3 EP 9
    I rolled my eyes when the E-D did Millennium Falcon maneuvers in the innards of Death Star.
    mtm wrote: »

Yes the previous Blu Ray looked horrible, as if all the colour had been smeared on with a palette knife. The new 4K remasters are terrific.

Agree, I am looking forward to seeing Star Trek V in 4K.
    I rolled my eyes when the E-D did Millennium Falcon maneuvers in the innards of Death Star.

There were so many positives with Picard S3 I did not mind that scene, it is a Trillion times better than anything else in Kurtzman Trek.
    There were so many positives with Picard S3 I did not mind that scene, it is a Trillion times better than anything else in Kurtzman Trek.

With LOWER DECKS and STRANGE NEW WORLDS existing?

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7aef678ddb5749a9da16622e271243e387c885e9a&ep=v1_gifs_username_username&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

S3 is fine, but it doesn’t even hold a candle to some of the better serialized Trek of the past. I’d posit that Enterprise’s S3 was vastly superior. Messy in parts and with a few odd skipable entries like that western episode, but it was very compelling as the season went.
    edited January 15 Posts: 23,459

With LOWER DECKS and STRANGE NEW WORLDS existing?

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7aef678ddb5749a9da16622e271243e387c885e9a&ep=v1_gifs_username_username&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

S3 is fine, but it doesn’t even hold a candle to some of the better serialized Trek of the past. I’d posit that Enterprise’s S3 was vastly superior. Messy in parts and with a few odd skipable entries like that western episode, but it was very compelling as the season went.

Only watched a few episodes of Lower decks not impressed its too childish and SNW S1 was good but Picard S3 is better IMO. And you posting a gif does not make you correct, its just your opinion. I am only comparing Picard S3 to Kurtman Trek.
    I mean that’s pretty obvious, right? I don’t mean to state a fact, but rather my own views.

My advice is don’t take Lower Decks too seriously. It’s the kind of lark of a show you kick off your shoes and sit back for a good 20 mins.

The Kurtzman era has been flawed, but I actually do admire that he tries to keep all the shows relatively different from each other in terms of style, tone and plotting, so that each has something to offer of its own.

DISCO is basically the serialized Trek that seemed damned from executive interference at the start because everything was riding on it. It had to exist in order for future shows to exist.

PICARD is different in that it’s pretty much centered on one character, doesn’t actually have a proper hero ship throughout all seasons. It’s very much a show carved for TNG fans.

LOWER DECKS is pretty much all the comedic episodes of past series thrown into one, with a clear reverence for Trek but not above poking fun at all the tropes that make Trek what it is.

PRODIGY is pretty much aimed at kids, and is apparently good according to folks that bothered watching it. I’ll have to keep watching that and see how it grows.

Finally STRANGE NEW WORLDS is basically “what if we made a Star Trek show that was just plain Star Trek?”. I like it, I wish it was set further in the future rathe than a prequel, but it at least feels more like Trek than DISCO.
    Epic clip I love:

Now that’s a captain.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Epic clip I love:

Pfffft so woke!
    edited January 20 Posts: 23,459
    Just started watching Star Trek V on 4K disk, wow this looks incredible, this is the best the film has looked since I saw it in the cinema. Bill Shatner really does know how to set up a great shot, he should have directed more.
    tff-2022-00000.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Just started watching Star Trek V on 4K disk, wow this looks incredible, this is the best the film has looked since I saw it in the cinema. Bill Shatner really does know how to set up a great shot, he should have directed more.
    tff-2022-00000.jpg

Now I ask this not trying to be a smart ass, but are you serious or pulling our legs?
    talos7 wrote: »
    tff-2022-00000.jpg

Now I ask this not trying to be a smart ass, but are you serious or pulling our legs?

Serous, I always felt Star Trek V looked flat on VHS/DVD/Bluray, what they have done with the 4K treatment is utterly astounding IMO. The sound and picture here is very impressive, alas the film still has its issues though I have always loved the interactions between the trinity is this one.
    I think Shatner is a fine director in terms of directing scenes on set, but I would not leave him in charge of the scripting. Ideally, he should have let Nimoy and Bennett be the ones working out stories and a script, while Shatner is essentially a studio director just working with what he’s given.
    Some of the script with Star Trek V is poor though some of it works, the Klingon's are bad they have hokey dialogue and poor characterization.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Shatner is a fine director in terms of directing scenes on set, but I would not leave him in charge of the scripting. Ideally, he should have let Nimoy and Bennett be the ones working out stories and a script, while Shatner is essentially a studio director just working with what he’s given.

Yes he obviously had trouble getting the film together, but I agree that once on set he's not doing anything wrong, if perhaps obviously enjoying the jokey side a bit too much. I've seen worse directed films, but then I guess half of film directing is the decisions you make in pre-production.
    My understanding was that Shatner could be a bit of a pushover when it came to the higher ups. Paramount wanted TFF to be as humorous as TVH, so Shatner went with that rather than trying to make a case for it being the wrong tone for the story TFF was going for. He also wasn’t too smart at budgeting, which is why the movie looks cheap at times despite getting the highest budget since TMP, because Shatner was blowing money on location shooting. Suddeny, whoops, he can’t afford to have multiple rock men attacking Kirk, which is why the climax feels so cut and paste.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah, interesting. I guess to be fair I can see why they'd want one similar to IV as it made the most cash of any of them, didn't it? But I think that's probably because of the concept of Star Trek meets today (and I think generally, the audience prefers to see the familiar to a crazy future world), which you can't keep repeating.
    Did it really get the highest budget? That's kind of bonkers: it doesn't show. Reminds me of how NSNA was more expensive than Octopussy, and ended up looking way cheaper. Moviemaking is more than just pointing the camera and making a nice composition!
    edited January 22 Posts: 23,459
    UHD-00800.mpls_snapshot_01.38.47.078.png

Just watched my 4K disk of Star Trek III for the first time, what Paramount have done with the original crew films with these remasters/restorations is phenomenal.

Star Trek III has never looked this cinematic its rivaling the top films in the series now.

As a kid Bond and the philosophy of the OG crew Trek series and films influenced me a great deal, I got quite emotional at times watching Star Trek III tonight, these films are special more so as time passes.
    edited February 1 Posts: 23,459
    Just bought Picard S3 on blurya, my god if I had not already seen this series I would not be happy, the disk menu sure does give away a few things.

It is a real shame this was not shot in 4K though still looks and sounds great.

Watching episode 1, the dining scene is an A+, the dialogue and tension is excellent.