Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @RogueAgent, unfortunately it sounds like any future for the 'Alien' series is currently paused; I'd be surprised if they push forward with another Scott installment, anyway. Perhaps another reboot of sorts in five or ten years.

A shame too, they should've let Alien 5 go, sounded much more inventive and intriguing than the prequel nonsense Scott was obsessed with fleshing out (and poorly, at that).
    Yesterday I finally watched Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie. Some comments (very light spoilers):

First of all, let me say the film is totally recommended; it's fairly entertaining and emotive --no doubt much better than the first one, and that one wasn't bad--, and it keeps much of the classic sense of humor of the original series. The hour and twenty-minute running time goes by very quickly. Personally, I generally prefer Hey Arnold! stories that don't have such a strong focus on adventure, and whose plots are almost entirely based on character relationships, but I must admit the adventure aspect is well handled in this film.

At any rate, the most commendable aspect of The Jungle Movie, and the one that makes it specially endearing, is that it takes narrative threads from the show that used to generate expectation and interest --the relationship between Arnold and Helga, and the disappearance of Arnold's parents-- and capitalizes on them in a very effective and tremendously satisfactory way. As I said, it's an emotive story, and without revealing anything specific, I'll say that it is even more so in its final scenes, which are also truly joyful, almost dreamy.

Another interesting aspect is that once the movie is over, the status quo is changed permanently-- things in Arnold's world aren't quite the same anymore. In a way, that almost gives the film a touch of finality. The creative team behind the show intends to make more episodes if this film proves successful, although I think perhaps they should stop here. The best artistic creations, while highly gratifying to audiences, inevitably leave you wanting more; you want to relive them over and over again. That is an intrinsic and probably unsolvable problem related to how people experience art, and mustn't be confused with a legitimate reason that justifies continuing to work on said creations. I think this also applies to Hey Arnold! Having said that, after this film, if they do continue to make episodes, I won't complain!

Generally, the film continues the classic Hey Arnold! look, with some slightly more modern touches, but they're subtle enough that they don't feel out of place. The color palette in the jungle scenes is beautiful, with some very pleasant blues and bluish-greens.

Anyway, Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie is highly recommended. Watch it, and and the show!
    I love the original show. I will have to check that out sometime.
    You won't regret it!
    I remember hearing a while back that a Hey Arnold! movie was in development (alongside a Rocko's Modern Life one I think?) but I hadn't realized it was released. Good review, @mattjoes. I will be looking into it!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fscottmendelson%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F04%2Fimage001.jpg

Interesting, exciting, but at this point not in my top 5. I may have to revisit the film a few times though before I post my definitive opinion. One thing I can say is that the fights are very good and the cliffhanger at the end of the film leaves me in anticipation for the sequel.
    KING OF JAZZ (1930)

Behold an excerpt from "Rhapsody in Blue" (more like "Rhapsody in Silver-Green," due to two-color Technicolor):

King of Jazz (1930) is an early musical, or more properly early musical revue, and it's dazzling fun. It was filmed with more imagination than musicals from this era, and employs trick photography, colored lights, and rhythmic editing. Two-strip Technicolor could only capture red and green and its combinations, but director John Murray Anderson worked ethereal wonders with this limited palette.

The titular king is bandleader Paul Whiteman, who backs up various song and dance acts with his orchestra. In 1930 "jazz" was still a catchall term for modern American popular music, and King of Jazz is best considered as a panorama of American pop, stretching from the future-shaping swing of Bing Crosby (in his first film appearance) to the backwards-looking (but still impressive) operetta-style belting of John Boles. Along the way, there are parodies of 1890s parlor music, anatomy-defying dance sequences, magnificent sets as gargantuan as they're airy, the first Technicolor cartoon, blackout gags obsessed with adultery, and great musicians like Joe Venuti, Eddie Lang, Frankie Trumbauer, and Wilbur Hall. The centerpiece is an elegantly dazzling 10-minute version of “Rhapsody in Blue,” which Whiteman—a man with great taste in collaborators—had commissioned from George Gershwin six years earlier.

Sadly, there are no African American performers, a disappointment even if one recognizes jazz had a broader meaning back then. Paul Whiteman had tried integrating his band but was stymied by his management, and in 1930 no Hollywood studio would have allowed a truly integrated musical.

The Criterion Blu-Ray features a restored version of the film that's gorgeous to behold. I'm not an expert or even a big fan of music from the late 1920s/early 1930s, but I had a ball watching King of Jazz.
    Strog wrote: »
    I remember hearing a while back that a Hey Arnold! movie was in development (alongside a Rocko's Modern Life one I think?) but I hadn't realized it was released. Good review, @mattjoes. I will be looking into it!
    Do share your thoughts, @Strog!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Don't Lose Your Head (1967)
    Another classic Cary On. This time the target is The Scarlett Pimpernel, with Sid James as Sir Rodney Ffing aka The Black Fingernail. Maybe I have a mild OCD, but it really rustles my jimmies how "Carry On" was dropped from the titles for this, and the next film. Dammit, my list doesn't look uniformal.
    I believe it was the other way around. It wasn't originally conceived as a part of the Carry On series and was first released without the Carry On prefix. It didn't fair so well at the BO so was re-released again with the Carry On brand affixed to it. Same thing applied to Follow That Camel where it was also known as Carry On In The Legion outside the UK. Though they contain much of the same cast as the Carry Ons these two movies really aren't part of the same canon. The next natural chronological Carry On order after Carry On Screaming! (1966) is Carry On Doctor (1967) followed by the very best one: Carry On... Up the Khyber (1968) which is perhaps the comedy gold standard and is rightly considered by the majority as their masterpiece.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,812
    Alien: Covenant
    Alien-Covenant-Poster.jpg

Yesterday I was in the mood for Alien and figured I'd finally go ahead and watch Covenant. I remember being excited when I heard about the movie but then reviews came in, from critics and movie goers. Then my excitement dropped for the film and I put off watching it. Usually what happens after I've heard everyone bashing on a film, my expectations are lowered and I tend to like it a bit. That wasn't the case with Covenant.
    Ridley Scott and FOX don't know what they're doing with this franchise anymore. The xenomorph doesn't show up until the last 30 minutes of the film and when it does it's made up of terrible looking CGI. I don't have a problem with using CGI as long as it looks good and the alien didn't look good.
    Scott should've just left out the xenomorph and called this movie Prometheus 2 or just called it Covenant. It honestly felt like a sequel to Prometheus with an Alien short film tacked on the end. This movie was neither scary or thrilling. It was mostly dull.
    Now I can say that everyone's acting was good and most of the CGI (outside of the Alien) was good. I did like that David was the one who created the xenomorph. I found that to be an interesting plot twist.
    One thing I didn't understand was how the second xenomorph got on the ship at the end. Was there a face-hugger on the ship and did it latched onto the guy in the med-bay? How did the face-hugger get on the ship in the first place? Did David put it there and why? The best part of the film was the last 30 minutes and it's the part that I understand the least.

My Alien ranking list (including the AvP movies for fun):

Aliens
    Alien
    Alien 3
    Alien: Resurrection
    Alien vs Predator
    Prometheus
    Alien vs Predator: Requiem
    Alien: Covenant
    @QsAssistant, I only saw it the once so my recollection may be wrong, but isn't one of the few survivors at the end infected, harboring a Chestburster that kills them? That inevitably becomes the Xenomorph they do battle with.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @QsAssistant, I only saw it the once so my recollection may be wrong, but isn't one of the few survivors at the end infected, harboring a Chestburster that kills them? That inevitably becomes the Xenomorph they do battle with.

The only part that I could think where he gets infected is when a face-hugger latches onto his face but it's only for a few moments. His friend gets it off of him a few seconds later, causing him to get acid on his face, thus putting him in the med-bay at the end. I was under the impression that it took face-huggers a while to place a xenomorph into a host, not mere seconds.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The only part that I could think where he gets infected is when a face-hugger latches onto his face but it's only for a few moments. His friend gets it off of him a few seconds later, causing him to get acid on his face, thus putting him in the med-bay at the end. I was under the impression that it took face-huggers a while to place a xenomorph into a host, not mere seconds.

Just one of many reasons why I didn't like the movie - bad writing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You guys here made me buy Sorcerer (1977) a while back, and I finally watched it today. Holy f. I feel like I was just punched in the head. A true nightmare work of art. I never want to do this again. But once was awesome. Thanks! Sound design was breathtaking. Ahhh, Seventies madness... when the studio had no idea what they were going to get... at least I know how to remove a fallen tree from my path now.

Glad you liked Sorcerer there is some great visual story telling, the two main set pieces are the personification of tension. It great when you stumble on an older film that you have never seen that ends up being as good as Sorcerer.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You guys here made me buy Sorcerer (1977) a while back, and I finally watched it today. Holy f. I feel like I was just punched in the head. A true nightmare work of art. I never want to do this again. But once was awesome. Thanks! Sound design was breathtaking. Ahhh, Seventies madness... when the studio had no idea what they were going to get... at least I know how to remove a fallen tree from my path now.

Glad you liked Sorcerer there is some great visual story telling, the two main set pieces are the personification of tension. It great when you stumble on an older film that you have never seen that ends up being as good as Sorcerer.

The movie made me feel like a kid in the 70's again, when you never knew what to expect. This was like a much more artistic version of Vanishing Point (in feel, not story elements).
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,575

The movie made me feel like a kid in the 70's again, when you never knew what to expect. This was like a much more artistic version of Vanishing Point (in feel, not story elements).

I'll have to watch Sorcerer soon as i've read a lot of good things about it on this forum.

Also To Live and Die in L.A. (1985). Anyone seen this ?
    001 wrote: »

I'll have to watch Sorcerer soon as i've read a lot of good things about it on this forum.

It's a great cop flick. If you like cop flicks, just go ahead and watch it! ;)
    Just got back from Lean on Pete. Very highly recommended. The subject matter (a teen from a broken household running away with a racehorse) might sound sentimental, but the film is anything but. At times it's downright harrowing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ridley Scott these days is a hack. Prometheus and Alien Covenant were both tremendous disappointments. He needs to move on and let someone else who knows what they're doing takeover and do something actually interesting with the property.

Last movie watched The Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring

The first third of Peter Jackson's masterpiece trilogy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed with the thoughts on Alien Covenant. Terrible movie.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I like Prometheus for visual splendour (I used it to calibrate my flat screen), the score, Charlize and Idris. It's a classy looking film. All the Money In The World also looked really good, so Ridley still can make visually stunning films.

Covenant
    was really bad though imho. I have nothing good to say about it. The characters were flat and I thought the effects sucked.
    I haven't revisited Covenant since seeing it in theatres. I suppose that says something.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,457

I must rewatch Vanishing Point not seen it since 1980's, Barry Newman was good in that film.
    001 wrote: »

I bought To Live and Die in L.A. last year, it's a good film buy the Arrow release if you get the film.
    Infinity War. Liked it very much, but for me, the best MCU movie is still The Winter Soldier.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Infinity War. Liked it very much, but for me, the best MCU movie is still The Winter Soldier.

Agreed.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

Agreed.

Yeah, Winter Soldier is definitely the high point, even though Infinity War lookes like it might be the biggest box office ever...
    Unknown (because the bluray of taken 3 didn't work on my bluray player and I will try and set it up on my laptop next week... )

I hate to get meta but the early parts of the film are depressing (yes I fast forwarded through the scene of his wife saying he wasn't her husband etc) and the wrap up is sloppy but the middle is a half way decent it seems like they had a brilliant idea but had no idea how to resolve it (not giving away the twist) over all Neeson does a good job

I give it a weak recommend (but if you ever marital troubles maybe fastfoward through the first 20 minutes lol)

Films I have seen in 2018 (I don't think I am splitting up bond and non bond this year as I don't know how many I am actually gonna see)
    1. Casino Royale
    2. The A-team
    3. The Final Girls
    4. The Saint
    5. Taken 2
    6. The Shadow
    7. Taken
    8. Unknown
    9. Stand By Me
    10. Before Sunrise
    11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    12. Goonies
    13. Before Midnight
    14. Grease
    15. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Taken Series

1. Taken 2
    2. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. The A-team
    2. Taken 2
    3. Taken
    4. Unknown

edited April 2018 Posts: 23,457
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?rabbit_a.jpg

My first watch of the restored film on Bluray, it's quite impressive though I probably last watched this on VHS. Fun film that I often forget about, it was quite a technical achievement at the time I can't believe it's over thirty years old now.
    Star Wars - The Last Jedi
    The Blues Brothers
    Blues Brothers 2000
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Am I the only one who wasn’t all that impressed with The Avengers and The Winter Soldier?

For me the highlight of the MCU is definitely Ragnarok.