Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Wilder also contributed to CR67, uncredited.
    Wow, did not know that! Just did some cursory Googling. Looks like he might have been the first writer attached after they decided to make it a spoof? And Woody Allen and Joseph Heller contributing as well? I guess too many writers is just bad period no bad how good they are individually.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    A Quiet Place
    A-Quiet-Place.jpg

This might actually be in my top five movies of the year. I never really found it to be scary, just more of the edge of your seat type of film. It's also probably one of the quietest movies I've ever seen, outside of a silent film.

Ready Player One
    ready-player-one-new-poster-1-800x445.jpg

I was excited and nervous to see this one. The novel is my favorite book, so the film had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately the movie was a bit flat for me but that's not to say I didn't enjoy myself. The visuals were great and the easter eggs were fun to spot. I just wish they would've stuck closer to the book. Ready Player One would probably be so much better as mini-series or something. I'm sure had I never read the book, I would've enjoyed the movie a lot more.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Strog wrote: »
    Wilder also contributed to CR67, uncredited.
    Wow, did not know that! Just did some cursory Googling. Looks like he might have been the first writer attached after they decided to make it a spoof? And Woody Allen and Joseph Heller contributing as well? I guess too many writers is just bad period no bad how good they are individually.

Too many writers and FIVE directors. Too many cooks and all that…
    Funny, though, that the end result looked like what the Bond movies became in the 70s, when they had only one writer and one director. Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Wood and Gilbert.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The Greatest Showman.

I'm not a fan of musicals by any means, but I highly enjoyed it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    We finally did it last night: Watched CR '67, which I'm pretty sure I saw at some time in the 70s on TV (in German), but never again, and my wife never ever. No need to list all the shortcomings and wasted opportunities that make it an incoherent mess. But on the positive side, we laughed quite a lot, and not just to hide our embarrassment (no one was looking anyway). While I still refuse to include CR '67 (unlike NSNA) in any "Bond Movie" rankings, those were overall enjoyable two hours and eleven minutes.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Fly

Classic Cronenberg. Probably along with Dead Ringers his most perfect film.

Wonderful performances from Goldblum and Davis.

A tragic and affecting story with an intelligent, clever script.

Hasn't dated at all.
    I saw Rabid (1977) last night. Not Cronenberg’s best but still had a fair amount of good moments.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,691
    You guys here made me buy Sorcerer (1977) a while back, and I finally watched it today. Holy f. I feel like I was just punched in the head. A true nightmare work of art. I never want to do this again. But once was awesome. Thanks! Sound design was breathtaking. Ahhh, Seventies madness... when the studio had no idea what they were going to get... at least I know how to remove a fallen tree from my path now.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You guys here made me buy Sorcerer (1977) a while back, and I finally watched it today. Holy f. I feel like I was just punched in the head. A true nightmare work of art. I never want to do this again. But once was awesome. Thanks! Sound design was breathtaking. Ahhh, Seventies madness... when the studio had no idea what they were going to get... at least I know how to remove a fallen tree from my path now.
    I bought it too when the subject last came up...but decided I'd prefer to watch LE SALAIRE DE LA PEUR first...and haven't managed either - but keep trying.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I remember being genuinely creeped out by that cut to
    Nilo dead inside the truck, eyes wide open, crazed laughter still echoing in the soundtrack.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I remember being genuinely creeped out by that cut to
    Nilo dead inside the truck, eyes wide open, crazed laughter still echoing in the soundtrack.

Oh yeah. It's fresh in my mind. Never did acid but this must be something like it.
    Nine to Five
    A League of Their Own
    Men In Black 1-3
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Men In Black 1-3

Of those, the third is the best by far, and the second is just rubbish.
    Cosmopolis (2012). I'm only 35 minutes in, but it's been a rough time. The dialogue is completely unrealistic and strange throughout, and there's really nothing all that interesting about it. I'm not sure what Cronenberg was thinking with this one...
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    This :

220px-Dirty_Grandpa_teaser_poster.jpg

Not bad,very crude but I like that humour.
    As with many of these types of films it runs out of steam towards the end,but overall ok.

This :

MV5BMTU5MzMwMzAzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYyMjA0Mg@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Very good..Paul Newman mesmerising as usual.
    Funny to see a non-credit Bruce Willis as a spectator in the final courtroom scene in the background,trying to look cool.

And this :

220px-Criminal_2016_poster.jpg

Not bad..but the thought of Americans and Russians all chasing after terrorists in the middle of London by car and helicopter and the British not even appearing in the film is taking the piss.
    Phoned-in performances by Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee-Jones.
    Good performance by Costner.
    Forgetable.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation!

What an absolute blast! Non stop entertainment. Maybe they should get Tom Cruise to direct a Bond film?!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation!

What an absolute blast! Non stop entertainment. Maybe they should get Tom Cruise to direct a Bond film?!!
    Glad you finally saw it. One of the best spy genre flicks of the last 10 years imho. Killer film.

Cruise as outside consultant on a future Bond film with McQuarrie as director would definitely result in a lot of hype and a seriously impressive effort.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Cosmopolis (2012). I'm only 35 minutes in, but it's been a rough time. The dialogue is completely unrealistic and strange throughout, and there's really nothing all that interesting about it. I'm not sure what Cronenberg was thinking with this one...

It's a hard film to like. Well acted and shot but it added up to very little overall. I watched it twice in 24 hours to give it a chance.
    Ready Player One (2018). A very fun film from Spielberg. Not his best, but still highly enjoyable. I was just over the moon at
    The Shining segment.
    Very fun.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Big-budget blockbuster entertainment in its purest form. 2.5 hours of non stop thrill ride, with plenty of humour and dramatic moments, and featuring some of the most insane big-scale action sequences in the MCU. The sheer scale of this movie was quite s sight to see. I really had a blast during the whole film.

And that's it from me, I don't wish to ruin anything for superhero films lovers like @bondjames @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi and @doubleoego, just go watch the film as soon as possible so we can talk about it! :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Big-budget blockbuster entertainment in its purest form. 2.5 hours of non stop thrill ride, with plenty of humour and dramatic moments, and featuring some of the most insane big-scale action sequences in the MCU. The sheer scale of this movie was quite s sight to see. I really had a blast during the whole film.

And that's it from me, I don't wish to ruin anything for superhero films lovers like @bondjames @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @DarthDimi and @doubleoego, just go watch the film as soon as possible so we can talk about it! :)

Glad you liked it. Will catch it either tomorrow or over the weekend.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, great to read the positive feedback.

I've got two more days to go! I can't wait and I look forward to discussing it with you and others soon.
    A Dangerous Method (2011). A pretty good film by Cronenberg. It, along with his film Spider, makes me wish he had done more period piece work. In any case, both are quite good entries in his catalog.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, great to read the positive feedback.

I've got two more days to go! I can't wait and I look forward to discussing it with you and others soon.

Maybe I will watch it this weekend.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Carry On Cowboy (1965)
    My feelings are the opposite of SPYING, where I have an interest in spy movies, but that Carry On did nothing for me. This time the target is the Western genre, which despite the best efforts of my Dad, I don't much care for, but I can still sit down and enjoy COWBOY.

Carry On Screaming (1966)
    The Carry On team turn their sights to Hammer Horror. Above average.

Don't Lose Your Head (1967)
    Another classic Cary On. This time the target is The Scarlett Pimpernel, with Sid James as Sir Rodney Ffing aka The Black Fingernail. Maybe I have a mild OCD, but it really rustles my jimmies how "Carry On" was dropped from the titles for this, and the next film. Dammit, my list doesn't look uniformal.

1. Carry On Cleo (1964)
    ***2. Don't Lose Your Head (1967)***
    3. Carry On Regardless (1961)
    ***4.Carry On Cowboy (1965)***
    5. Carry On Cruising (1962)
    6. Carry On Teacher (1960)
    7. Carry On Sergeant (1958)
    ***8. Carry On Screaming (1966)***
    9. Carry On Cabby (1963)
    10. Carry On Nurse (1959)
    11. Carry On Constable (1960)
    12. Carry On Spying (1964)
    13. Carry On Jack (1963)
    The Score (2001)
    Stars: Robert De Niro, Edward Norton, Marlon Brando
    Excellent film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Devil-Ship Pirates, one of the few better known non-horror films by Hammer.

Always nice to see Christopher Lee swashbuckling through an adventure film.
    Alien Covenant:

Absolutely loved this and hopefully it will be ripe for a full on war movie next with David's brutal agenda.

Jack Reacher: Never go back.

Love Cruise as this character, great villain too. Wonder if their will be a 3rd?

The Mummy: Part 2 of my Tom Cruise double bill.

I liked this updated version to be honest, I also like the idea of this Dark Universe which I actually hope does happen? Although I am aware that it most likely will not?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Alien Covenant:

Absolutely loved this

Nice to see I am not alone.