Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wasn’t all that impressed with The Avengers and The Winter Soldier?

For me the highlight of the MCU is definitely Ragnarok.
    I love all 3. In fact, they are all in my top 4 of MCU films along with Iron Man.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Am I the only one who wasn’t all that impressed with The Avengers and The Winter Soldier?

bondjames wrote: »

I love all 3. In fact, they are all in my top 4 of MCU films along with Iron Man.

In that area, am I the only “marvel fan” who generall enjoys the films but hated Ragnarok
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?rabbit_a.jpg

My first watch of the restored film on Bluray, it's quite impressive though I probably last watched this on VHS. Fun film that I often forget about, it was quite a technical achievement at the time I can't believe it's over thirty years old now.

Would really love to see that again, it has been ages. Great one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?rabbit_a.jpg

My first watch of the restored film on Bluray, it's quite impressive though I probably last watched this on VHS. Fun film that I often forget about, it was quite a technical achievement at the time I can't believe it's over thirty years old now.

Would really love to see that again, it has been ages. Great one.

The scene with Donald and Daffy on the pianos is great, I like how they morf into different versions of themselves. The film has alot of charm
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Alien Covenant:

Absolutely loved this

Nice to see I am not alone.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @RogueAgent, unfortunately it sounds like any future for the 'Alien' series is currently paused; I'd be surprised if they push forward with another Scott installment, anyway. Perhaps another reboot of sorts in five or ten years.

A shame too, they should've let Alien 5 go, sounded much more inventive and intriguing than the prequel nonsense Scott was obsessed with fleshing out (and poorly, at that).

Blimey I hope the wait won't be that long? The wait for Bond is bad enough!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @RogueAgent, mediocre reviews and box office pretty much saw to that.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Accident Man
    accident-man-2-e1517849619726-700x309.jpg
    Based on the British comic book Toxic! (i'd never heard of it), about a Hitman Assassin, Mike Fallon (Scott Adkins), AKA The Accident Man (called this because his talent lies in making each job look like an accident).
    There were some good fights, but the best was by far the last one, Fallon vs Jane The Ripper. It has the same ferocity as any fight between two males, this one just happens to be between a male and female. I have seen Adkins in a few JCVD films, but this was the first proper leading role I have seen him in. Having not read the comics, I don't know if the movie depiction was accurate, but Adkins succeeded in making Fallon a likeable person who occasionally opens his mouth without thinking. I also found Fallons dry humour, his one liners punctuate the fights, to be my kind of humour.

If it is possible for an Accident Man 2, count me interested.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @MajorDSmythe, I can assure you, for the most part, the film is accurate to the comics. There are elements edited out, of course, due to limited budget and all that, but some of the lines are almost verbatim adaptation when it came to source material accuracy. I enjoyed the experience myself! Also, there are talks of a sequel. I just wish they adapt the second volume where Mike Fallon elevates himself to world class and sophisticated assassin rather than a leather-bound motorcycle street thug (I don't mean that as an offense), and not come up with a weak original storyline.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    La vie d’Adèle: passion, raw emotions, excellent acting, visually stunning and overall rather brilliant to be honest.

Of course I haven’t seen every film made in 2013, but I’ve seen most of the prominent ones and this film is without any doubt the very best of that year. In my opinion of course.
    La vie d’Adèle: passion, raw emotions, excellent acting, visually stunning and overall rather brilliant to be honest.

Of course I haven’t seen every film made in 2013, but I’ve seen most of the prominent ones and this film is without any doubt the very best of that year. In my opinion of course.

There are som good scenes in that one, if you know what i mean ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

bondjames wrote: »

In that area, am I the only “marvel fan” who generall enjoys the films but hated Ragnarok

I didn't hate Ragnarok. I enjoyed it but it was way too comedic for my tastes. I preferred the, when-applied serious tone of Thor 2. It's a shame it was undercut by all those garbage scenes involving Darcy and her intern.
    In preparation for the new Halloween movie, I poured myself a drink and did my best to clear my head of all sequel knowledge. I sat down and watched the original Halloween (1978) as a complete stand-alone!

halloween-la-nuit-des-masques-photo-michael-myers-944837-large.jpg

By doing that (ignoring the brother/sister plot and the many supernatural elements of Michael getting shot by a freaking firing squad and being fine, among many other things) the original was a very creepy down to earth tale. This poor teenager was just minding her own business, and a mental patient just happened to escape; the young girl drops a key off at the creepy old house for her realtor dad, and that's all it takes. Michael stalks her around town just because he's nuts. When you jettison all the sequel baggage, and look at it just like that, the movie becomes much creepier!

I'm so excited for this sequel, that picks up after that. And from what I've read, this isn't an H20 redux. Sounds like Michael may have been captured that night (after being shot) and was put back in his asylum for 40 years. Way back in the beginning, they did mention one detail about the original will be changed- I'm betting that's it.
    Meanwhile Laurie actually WANTS him to escape, so SHE can kill him!!! This movie will be insane!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Master_Dahark, indeed, you're probably right. That's what I've assessed, and I'm guessing he escapes during a prisoner transport or something. I do love the details they've shared of Laurie pretty much dying for him to escape, solely so she can kill him. Apparently her house even has weapons and hidden passages stashed everywhere for the day when it comes.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    This :

Very complicated plot based on time travel,one you need total concentration for,but rewarding in the long run :

MV5BMTAzODc3NjU1NzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDk5NTQ4NTMx._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

PREDESTINATION_27X40_R3_X1a_rgb_350_v02.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @barryt007
    Good film, based on a good story.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @barryt007
    Good film, based on a good story.

It’s was DD....but boy I had to concentrate x not a good idea to have a drink first after a long day at work x but as u say the story kept me gripped.
    Oh, believe me, if I hadn't first read a very elaborate analysis of the story by Michio Kaku, before reading the actual story and then watching the film, I'd have been lost in confusion.
    Eastern Promises (2007). A really good film. Just Maps to the Stars left and I will have completed Cronenberg’s filmography!
    Oh, believe me, if I hadn't first read a very elaborate analysis of the story by Michio Kaku, before reading the actual story and then watching the film, I'd have been lost in confusion.

I did extra well then !
    Knew nothing about it before I watched it.
    I like Ethan in the film too by the way. He doesn't seem to be doing any big commercial work these days but if films such as Predestination are his new, uh, destination, I'm game.
    I like Ethan in the film too by the way. He doesn't seem to be doing any big commercial work these days but if films such as Predestination are his new, uh, destination, I'm game.

It’s taken me a while to like him but he is growing on me .
    Maps to the Stars (2014). With this odd flick, I have finished Cronenberg's filmography. Which means it's ranking time!

1. The Dead Zone
    2. A History of Violence
    3. Videodrome
    4. The Fly
    5. Dead Ringers
    6. Existenz
    7. Eastern Promises
    8. Spider
    9. The Brood
    10. Crash
    11. A Dangerous Method
    12. Naked Lunch
    13. M. Butterfly
    14. Maps to the Stars
    15. Rabid
    16. Shivers
    17. Scanners
    18. Fast Company
    19. Stereo
    20. Crimes of the Future
    21. Cosmopolis
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Avengers: Infinity War
    avengers-infinity-war-poster-1093756.jpeg

Usually when a movie has so much hype and is really talked up by viewers I tend to feel a bit underwhelmed by said film, because it didn't live up to my expectations. That is not the case with Infinity War. I'll leave my spoiler talk over on the MCU thread but wow, this movie was incredible. I'll admit that it might even be better than The Winter Soldier. I'll probably be seeing this one a few more times while it's in the theater.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Avengers: Infinity War
    avengers-infinity-war-poster-1093756.jpeg

Usually when a movie has so much hype and is really talked up by viewers I tend to feel a bit underwhelmed by said film, because it didn't live up to my expectations. That is not the case with Infinity War. I'll leave my spoiler talk over on the MCU thread but wow, this movie was incredible. I'll admit that it might even be better than The Winter Soldier. I'll probably be seeing this one a few more times while it's in the theater.

I was thinking that the other day, after a few more viewings I think Infinity War may claim top spot in the MCU films.

Just watched Batman: Gotham by Gaslight on Bluray, I had not read the source material so I was going in blind, really enjoyed this Elseworld tale. I am a fan of anything Batman and anything set in the Victorian period so this was a fun watch. It's very dark in places I really got drawn into the story, in fact I wish the film had been longer in run time.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    I can surely recommend you dig a little deeper in the Elseworlds stories. There are some really good ones out there. Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham by Mike Mignola is a fantastic Lovecraftian story set in the 1920s. Great stuff for a Lovecraft and Batman fan like myself.

As for GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT, it's quite a good film indeed. I sincerely hope more Elseworlds stuff will be adapted.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    I can surely recommend you dig a little deeper in the Elseworlds stories. There are some really good ones out there. Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham by Mike Mignola is a fantastic Lovecraftian story set in the 1920s. Great stuff for a Lovecraft and Batman fan like myself.

As for GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT, it's quite a good film indeed. I sincerely hope more Elseworlds stuff will be adapted.

I will look out for Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham thanks for the recommend, I am going to purchase GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT on Kindle, I put it off because of the nature of the story and wanted to figure out the mystery myself when watching the film adaption. I stopped reading graphic novels some years ago though I have time to read them again now so I have quite a few to catch up on, Hush being one of them.
    Batman Begins first time watch on 4K this was my reaction...

coming-to-america-jaw-drop.gif?w=300&h=168

The only reaction that amazing film deserves.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited May 2018 Posts: 6,733
    RulesDontApply_27x40_1Sheet.jpg

RULES DON'T APPLY

Warren Beatty's first film in fifteen years is a story about Marla, an aspiring actress brought to Hollywood by Howard Hughes. She falls for Frank, her Hughes-employed car driver, an aspiring entrepeneur, until life (in the form of Hughes himself) gets in the way.

(Moderate spoilers ahead.)

When you watch a movie, you can usually interpret its intentions, what it's trying to communicate, and judge it by how well it succeeds at doing so. By that criteria, Rules Don't Apply is partially a failure, albeit a very interesting one. It's not outright bad by any means, but with one rewrite it could've been very good (probably not great, though). If you asked me if you should watch it, I'd say yes. This film, warts and all, feels alive, not generic, and is engaging for the most part.

The first hour and a quarter is mostly impeccable, as the relationship between the two leads begins to develop against the backdrop of Hollywood and the mystery surrounding Hughes. But the film goes downhill for a while during the extended quasi-montage, in which Frank becomes Hughes' assistant and travels from city to city with the paranoid, demanding man, catering to his peculiar whims. To the film and the story's detriment, in this part, there is too much superficial Hughes quirkiness and too little drama and character exploration, not so much of Hughes, who is fine as an enigmatic figure, but of Frank and Marla, in terms of the toll their whole situation takes on them, with their frustrations, unrealized dreams and their drifting away from each other. It really was crucial to get some more insight into that in two or three slow-paced scenes, to make the ending of the story pack more of an emotional punch. But we don't, so the denouement feels a bit slight.

Thematically, the film's main topic is the contrast between puritanism (represented in the two main characters' strict religious upbringing) and the sexually-liberated Hollywood (just speaking from the outside, it appears to make sense that notorious womanizer Beatty would be interested in this subject). The movie handles this well, though a bit more insight into Marla and Frank's evolving perception on this matter would've been welcome. One of the most telling moments occurs later in the story, when Frank is having dinner with Levar, his colleague played by Matthew Broderick. Levar notices that Frank no longer prays before eating. Personal values can indeed change and readjust as people's personalities assert themselves and as the social contexts they find themselves in change. The implication of the story and its ending is that in the long run, you don't really know how life is going to turn out or what's going to be important to you. This point is further driven home by the presence of Howard Hughes in the story. He inadvertently gets Marla and Frank together and later separates them in the same way. In the most amusing way, that does say something about how surprising life can be.

At the resolution of the story, there is also this implied sense of time having been wasted, of things having gotten in the way of what was truly important. It's a dramatically pleasing aspect of the story. At the end, it's clear Marla goes to see Howard not only because of his situation, but because of the possibility Frank might still be with him.

One standout moment in the movie happens when Frank walks along Howard along a pier and eats a burger with him. The entire scene, they're walking toward something which we cannot see until the very end, as the camera is looking at the front of them. A clever means of creating intrigue from the smallest of things.

I was also struck by the movie's editing style. This is a fast-paced film, with many really short scenes which end at the snap of the fingers once their point has been made. At times the movie almost feels like a trailer for itself, as if Hughes, with his frenetic mind, had edited it himself. I was taken aback by it at first but then started to like it, strangely enough. This occurs especially early on and in the quasi-montage I was talking about. It works well in the first part but, going back to what I was talking about before, in the later part it needed to be balanced out with a couple of meatier dramatic scenes.

The movie looks gorgeous, very lush and colorful. I think the establishing shots of the cities were sourced from other movies, which gives them a distinctive, old-fashioned look.

Rules Don't Apply has a very starry cast, but the most part it's name actors appearing in very brief supporting roles. They aren't put to particularly great use, but they're welcome presences, especially Dabney Coleman whom I missed seeing. The standouts for me are Oliver Platt, as a one-joke character that tries to talk personally to Howard Hughes, to no avail, and Matthew Broderick as Levar, who slowly becomes a welcome presence just by being there in so many scenes. As for the leads, Lily Collins is flat out terrific, the best in this film. New Han Solo Alden Ehrenreich is very good himself, though I feel he still has more to give than this film got out of him, or that he was prepared to give this time around. Let's see how he will fare in the future. (I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but knowing he is in the upcoming Solo film makes it more interesting for sure.) Warren Beatty is great fun as Hughes. There is something in Beatty's real-life demeanor, a feeling of ramblingness, hesitation and confusion that he can give off at times, and both he and the script put it to great use in this role: his mind appears to be going in a thousand different directions at all time, which results in plenty of amusing non-sequiturs (though we get too much Hughes in the later part of the film).

Last but not least, the title song is absolutely lovely. I remember hearing it for the first time in the "music trailer" that was released in 2016, and appreciating it right away. (Back then I naively hoped to watch the movie on the big screen in my country, before it proved to be a total box-office disaster and vanished from theaters.) I wish more films had songs especifically written for them.

Okay, so as I said, a very interesting "failure," worth watching in spite of its shortcomings. The script needed some adjustments in the later part of the story, but there certainly is enough good stuff here to justify a viewing.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,376

The only reaction that amazing film deserves.

Great movie it's still ranks as Number 1 Batman film for me (Mask of the Phantasm I rate just as highly), and close to being Number 1 Comic Book movie.