Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Dead Zone is my #1. Fantastic film. Have not seen A History of Violence yet.

I've yet to see The Dead Zone but I rewatched A History of Violence almost a year back, forgot just how entertaining it was. Hopefully you enjoy it.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins…(1985) dir. Guy Hamilton. Arrow Video blu-ray. Well this was better than I was expecting, a great little fun movie (only spoilt by some cheesy songs on the soundtrack and a score that veered into 80s action tv theme music). A fairly good cast, some nice action and an opening film that set up a franchise…or should have, but for some reason it didn't. Although I remember it at the time of it's release (called Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous here), I don't know why there weren't more Remo films (based on a best-selling series of books about The Destroyer). Was it a BO failure? I can't remember.
    And being an Arrow release there are some great extras and a nice booklet.
    Shivers (1975). Fascinating concept with some good moments, but sadly lacking in characters I care about - kind of like Scanners. Effectively creepy though!

I will post a Cronenberg ranking when I’ve finished his films. So far it has been a really fun ride.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Rampage (2018)
    CnDn2fW.jpg
    The trailers sold this Dwayne Johnson starring monster flick as an urban battle royale between a giant silverback gorilla and a flying wolf. It certainly is that, and there’s a huge skyscraper climbing lizard too. Directed by San Andreas helmer Brad Peyton and based off a hit 80’s game, this film definitely delivers on the expected CGI mayhem and thrills. Buildings are smashed, cars and large objects are flung, and the scientifically mutated animals are suitably terrifying, courtesy of state of the art special effects. In particular George, the gorilla, looks incredibly realistic at times.

So on the most rudimentary and obvious level (the one catering to prepubescent kids) the films works. Unfortunately, there’s really nothing more to it than the aforementioned destruction and CGI. Attempts to inject emotional subtext to the narrative fall terribly flat (and come across as cheesy) and the ‘human’ characters in the film are woefully underdeveloped. Malin Ackerman, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jack Quaid all ham it up in an obvious manner, perhaps recognizing that they are playing second fiddle to the CGI. As such, they are reasonably entertaining to watch. Naomi Harris on the other hand isn’t. She attempts an American accent here and butchers it in an embarrassing manner (normally the problem goes the other way) while overacting in an overtly distracting manner. She’s just miscast, as she is in the Bond films imho. Johnson is his usual muscular world saving self, but even he seems a bit weary here, and is upstaged by gorilla-George. Will Yun Lee (Colonel Moon from DAD) has a 'blink and you'll miss it' role but it was good to see him.

Overall the film reminds me a little of last year’s The Mummy. Like that 2017 film, there’s something a bit ‘by the numbers’ about it combined with flat characterizations and a slightly 'off' tone. I personally don't think it's anywhere as good as Kong: Skull Island. or Peyton's (and Johnson's) own San Andreas. Still, it's worth a viewing for the destruction. Personally, I hope Johnson's Skyscraper later this year is better.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Wonder Woman 4K it's quite a step up from the Bluray very impressed by the picture, though this is already a great looking film.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Shivers (1975). Fascinating concept with some good moments, but sadly lacking in characters I care about - kind of like Scanners. Effectively creepy though!

I will post a Cronenberg ranking when I’ve finished his films. So far it has been a really fun ride.

You've got me on a Cronenberg fix with all your posts! ( no bad thing!)

I rewatched Videodrome the other day and it really is such an imaginative concept. Superbly twitchy performance from James Woods that really carries the film through its absurdities.
    And did you notice, you never see Max Renn take off the helmet....

Think a revisit to The Brood is next....

You've got me on a Cronenberg fix with all your posts! ( no bad thing!)

I rewatched Videodrome the other day and it really is such an imaginative concept. Superbly twitchy performance from James Woods that really carries the film through its absurdities.
    And did you notice, you never see Max Renn take off the helmet....

Think a revisit to The Brood is next....

Videodrome is extremely good. Got to check out Crimes of the Future which sadly isn’t quite as good, but can’t win them all. I think I will go for Spider (2002) next - today...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The Hateful Eight. Fantastic film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mattjoes wrote: »

From the opening shot I was hooked, fantastic Cinematography, I won't say it's Tarantino's best though I enjoy it as much as Reservoir Dogs which is my personal favourite.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,269
    Spider (2002). A great film from David Cronenberg. One of the most deeply-affecting stories I’ve seen him direct.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

From the opening shot I was hooked, fantastic Cinematography, I won't say it's Tarantino's best though I enjoy it as much as Reservoir Dogs which is my personal favourite.

Those two do have a lot in common.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Agreed, great cinematography. And music score. And acting. And in its slow but hypnotic pace, the film smacks of justified self-confidence, as usual with Tarantino.

I also enjoyed the wide aspect ratio. Felt refreshing and made the interior shots feel rather majestic.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,292
    Haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet. Decided to get it and save it for a special occasion (Christmas or something), but just can't seem to find the perfect time to put it on. Should probably just watch it.
    Haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet. Decided to get it and save it for a special occasion, but that occasion just never seems to turn up. Should probably just watch it.

Like Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, that one is best enjoyed when it's cold and snowy out.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet. Decided to get it and save it for a special occasion, but that occasion just never seems to turn up. Should probably just watch it.

Like Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, that one is best enjoyed when it's cold and snowy out.

Just edited my original post. Corrected it to include Christmas, which seems the best possible time to watch it. Now that snow is disappearing here, waiting until next winter doesn't seem such a bad idea.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Just edited my original post. Corrected it to include Christmas, which seems the best possible time to watch it. Now that snow is disappearing here, waiting until next winter doesn't seem such a bad idea.

Good thinking! I love that weather can heighten and affect a movie-watching experience. Those are always my two go-to's for when it's cold out.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight: Finally watched DOCTOR DOLITTLE (for the first time ever)...and were rather disappointed. Leslie Bricusse seems to have over-estimated himself. Writing the script, composing the music AND writing the lyrics proved too much. He should have stuck with writing the (stupid) lyrics for Bond themes.

There's hardly any memorable song, several others seem to have been written, uh, in the spirit of MY FAIR LADY and MARY POPPINS (and/or CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG). Rex Harrison gives a re-hash of Professor Higgins, minus a decent script. None of the other actors/singers deserve a special mention, neither do cinematography and/or ultimately Richard Fleischer's direction.

One may enjoy it in the right mood. But of the musicals we've been watching consciously over the last year or so, (MFL, MP, CCBB, CABARET, CHICAGO...), this one will have to settle for last place in the ranking.

Agreed, great cinematography. And music score. And acting. And in its slow but hypnotic pace, the film smacks of justified self-confidence, as usual with Tarantino.

I also enjoyed the wide aspect ratio. Felt refreshing and made the interior shots feel rather majestic.

The wide shots are fantastic I have it in HD though I often check to see if there will be a 4K release, this film has alot of detail and I think upscaled further will be eye popping. I am due a rewatch think I'll watch it tonight.
    Being There
    Scary Movie
    The Invention of Lying
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Being There
    Scary Movie
    The Invention of Lying

Being There is great.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,369
    Witness for the Prosecution 1957 despite being very familiar with the story each revisit to this film is a pleasure, the script is fantastic and the acting is excellent especially Charles Laughton.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Being There
    Scary Movie
    The Invention of Lying

Being There is great.

Agreed the last great Peter Sellers performance, Forest Gump slightly ripped of Chance Gardener and less subtley.
    Fast Company (1979). Blah. Certainly one of Cronenberg’s weakest.
    Fast Company (1979). Blah. Certainly one of Cronenberg’s weakest.

Never bothered to see that. Or M Butterfly.
    Following on my Cronenberg rewatch, Dead Ringers

Definitely one of his best and most intelligent films.

The performance from Jeremy Irons is just incredible and he was a brave man to take it on in the first place. Such is the skill in his performance and the direction, a few minutes into the film you forget these character's are being played by the same person.

Music, production design and photography also top notch.
    A History of Violence (2005). Pretty great film here. As I had a feeling it would be, it’s one of Cronenberg’s best.
    Witness for the Prosecution 1957 despite being very familiar with the story each revisit to this film is a pleasure, the script is fantastic and the acting is excellent especially Charles Laughton.
    Great film. Somewhere just below top tier Wilder for me.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,695
    Strog wrote: »
    Great film. Somewhere just below top tier Wilder for me.
    I wonder what IS top-tier Wilder for you (you may have said it before, but I don't feel like searching through the entire history). I see only limited possibility to compare WFTP to other Wilder movies, since none of them is so (to paraphrase it somehow) Hitchcock-like as this one. It's probably the best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made.

Sure there is comedy even in this one. But most of his other work is much more comedy-oriented, and this applies to WFTP only to a very limited degree. Even STALAG 13 is foremostly a comedy, or they wouldn't have dared turn it into HOGAN'S HEROES later on.

What I'm trying to say is that WFTP is excellent, but excellent as being on a level with the top Hitchcock films, rather than with ONE, TWO, THREE or SOME LIKE IT HOT or THE APARTMENT (I'm not that fond of that one, but mention it as an example). It's basically a non-Wilder movie which he managed to execute flawlessly. I have problems ranking it along with his comedies.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 684
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I wonder what IS top-tier Wilder for you (you may have said it before, but I don't feel like searching through the entire history).
    Sure.* For me the films that represent him at his best are DOUBLE INDEMNITY, SUNSET BOULEVARD, ACE IN THE HOLE, and THE APARTMENT, the last of which it looks as though we'll disagree on; in fact it's probably my favorite of his films!

As you can see, three of those four are overtly 'heavier' stuff (although my appreciation owes much to the dark comedy aspect of a lot of it — that extends to THE APARTMENT as well, which can't exactly be called 'light' either). My favoring this side of Wilder's work might make it easier to situate WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION just outside the top, since what I'm considering top is closer to it in spirit than something like, to keep with an example of yours, SOME LIKE IT HOT.

I'm not sure WFTP is Wilder's lone example of suspense, either, if that's what aspect you're keying in on re: it being Hitchcock like? FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO does well for itself in this way.

* Keeping in mind that I'm yet to see THE EMPEROR WALTZ; A FOREIGN AFFAIR; ONE, TWO THREE; IRMA LA DOUCE; THE FORTUNE COOKIE; AVANTI!; or BUDDY BUDDY.
    It's probably the best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made.
    That's an interesting discussion. I'd be hard-pressed to argue against WFTP, although of course CHARADE would need to be under consideration.
    Even STALAG 13 is foremostly a comedy, or they wouldn't have dared turn it into HOGAN'S HEROES later on.
    STALAG 17 is a nice blend. This is one of the reasons I think Wilder was great. He could aptly do either to the exclusion of the other or integrate them seamlessly.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wilder also contributed to CR67, uncredited.