The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

Comments

Just kidding but it shows that if you are determined to find common links and alleged Bond rip offs, they are everywhere
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2019 Posts: 7,980
    Whew.... :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Quality is everything, however, I bet this film is going to make more money at the BO than Bond 25.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Quality is everything, however, I bet this film is going to make more money at the BO than Bond 25.

They hit a billion without Paul Walker, can they do the same without Vin Diesel too? Judging by the trailer - I'd say yes, this will be huge in foreign markets (especially Asia).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    doubleoego wrote: »

They hit a billion without Paul Walker, can they do the same without Vin Diesel too? Judging by the trailer - I'd say yes, this will be huge in foreign markets (especially Asia).

People underestimate the pulling power of Statham, I think. Putting him together with a proven Box Office Golden Boy like Johnson pretty much makes this a sure thing. They do have great chemistry together, even if the film looks like a load of pants otherwise. I'd be surprised if this doesn't hit the $Billion mark, when all is said and done.
  • I'd say Vin Diesel isn't the box office draw as he used to be. And as said above, Statham and Dwayne Johnson will definitely pull in some big numbers.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 40,474
    As someone else said, it looks a lot more akin to Fate of the Furious than Fast Five, but it still looks enjoyable and serviceable enough. Combine that with the whole "supervillain" feel of the beginning, and this feels more akin to a typical superhero movie than an actual F&F spinoff. But yes, it'll definitely be a box office powerhouse.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've gotta ask why this is a spin off at all. By the title alone, it's got one more regular cast member than Tokyo Drift and 2 Fast 2 Furious each did (at their time).
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 5,767
    That Trailer was way too Long, half of it would have totally sufficed to convince me, but who cares. Hobbs and Shaw Looks like it´s gonna be huge fun and will work both inside the FF universe and outside of it.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Sorry, y'all, but this entire franchise is just monumentally... stupid. I think I've seen five or so of them -- and they were all terrible.

I'd rate the very best one that I've seen a 4 out of 10 score.

What is the appeal to anyone older than a high school freshman?

Thank you!!!

That made me feel sane again. And i pretty much reiterate your question. What is the appeal to anyone older than...at what age does one stop liking hotwheel cars and start appreciating real cars? 5? 6?

Univex wrote: »
    Sorry, y'all, but this entire franchise is just monumentally... stupid. I think I've seen five or so of them -- and they were all terrible.

Thank you!!!

That made me feel sane again. And i pretty much reiterate your question. What is the appeal to anyone older than...at what age does one stop liking hotwheel cars and start appreciating real cars? 5? 6?

The thing is, it stopped being about cars about a decade ago. I know plenty of people who hate everything from Tokyo Drift onwards - which is funny to me, as Tokyo Drift is an awful film. But yeah, not sure that anecdote works too well for the franchise anymore.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,677

Thank you!!!

The thing is, it stopped being about cars about a decade ago. I know plenty of people who hate everything from Tokyo Drift onwards - which is funny to me, as Tokyo Drift is an awful film. But yeah, not sure that anecdote works too well for the franchise anymore.

Well, I’m a bonified petrolhead and i hated it since the first one. That tunning culture is not what the love for automobiles is. I know i probably sound like Tiff or Clarkson, but if you like this sort of thing you’re better of with a roedent like Hammond, who likes his american muscle, or with Captain Slow’s toyota supras. Right? Tunning culture is for the braindead. Which each and everyone of the characters in this franchise is. Braindead. Muscle bruits on toyotas and nissans hearing hip hop. Embarrassing.

edited February 2019 Posts: 8,034

Thank you!!!

Well, I’m a bonified petrolhead and i hated it since the first one. That tunning culture is not what the love for automobiles is. I know i probably sound like Tiff or Clarkson, but if you like this sort of thing you’re better of with a roedent like Hammond, who likes his american muscle, or with Captain Slow’s toyota supras. Right? Tunning culture is for the braindead. Which each and everyone of the characters in this franchise is. Braindead. Muscle bruits on toyotas and nissans hearing hip hop. Embarrassing.

I'm not a petrolhead really, so it makes little odds to me. I enjoyed the first film for what it was - POINT BREAK but lesser and with cars.

But yes, you're right. Overall the series is a bit brainless. The fifth one came pretty close to being a legitimately good film, though. The last one was pants.

I was actually sort of hoping for a more grounded film when it came to HOBBS & SHAW, but alas, not to be. It looks like more of the same.

Sidenote: Clarkson, Hammond and May are all equally insufferable.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I enjoy the films for the action. I'm a petrol head in so far as I know a little about different marques; the cars that were hits, and those that failed. I don't drive, but if I did, I would keep my car in concourse edition. I can't be doing with all that goofy undercar neon lighting.
    Sidenote: Clarkson, Hammond and May are all equally insufferable.

Agreed. People talk about "old Top Gear" when they actually mean the relaunched 2002 TG. I remember the original Top Gear, in the final years leading up to it's reboot. I did watch it for a while when it become an entertainment show with Clarkson/Hammond/May, but the joke wore thin.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I enjoy the films for the action.
    Me too. I only started getting back into the series after Fast Five came out. I'm not a fan of 2-4. I'd say 6 is my favourite of the bunch to date.

I've never been a tuner or a street racer. Not my thing. I do like cars though, European mainly, and preferably classic. I don't know about Hotwheels, but I collect Minichamps, Autoart and Kyosho diecast 1:18 scale, and some of these have gone up in value by more than 3 X. I also drive a car on Hagerty insurance, so I suppose one could say I'm a real car collector too.

The car angle is not why I watch this series though. It's just good fun for me. However, I think it resonates with the masses like it does for other reasons too, including the 'family' aspect, the 'multi-cultural' thing and the 'hipster' element.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 13,894
    bondjames wrote: »
    Me too. I only started getting back into the series after Fast Five came out. I'm not a fan of 2-4. I'd say 6 is my favourite of the bunch to date.

I've never been a tuner or a street racer. Not my thing. I do like cars though, European mainly, and preferably classic. I don't know about Hotwheels, but I collect Minichamps, Autoart and Kyosho diecast 1:18 scale, and some of these have gone up in value by more than 3 X. I also drive a car on Hagerty insurance, so I suppose one could say I'm a real car collector too.

The car angle is not why I watch this series though. It's just good fun for me. However, I think it resonates with the masses like it does for other reasons too, including the 'family' aspect, the 'multi-cultural' thing and the 'hipster' element.

I used to collect model cars too. I only really stopped, because a lot of the places where I used to buy them, closed down. I was a big collector of Vanguard, their Triumph Herald was a really nice model.

I have a Corgi Mk 1 Ford Cortina that is a prized possession (it's the exact make, model and colour, as the car my Grandad had).

I used to collect model cars too. I only really stopped, because a lot of the places where I used to buy them, closed down. I was a big collector of Vanguard, their Triumph Herald was a really nice model.

I have a Corgi Mk 1 Ford Cortina that is a prized possession (it's the exact make, model and colour, as the car my Grandad had).
    Vanguards definitely have some really good 1:43 scale models. I still have an old Corgi Aston DB5 with working ejector seat lying around someplace.

I know what you mean about a lot of the stores closing down. Rents getting too high maybe.

Vanguards definitely have some really good 1:43 scale models. I still have an old Corgi Aston DB5 with working ejector seat lying around someplace.

I know what you mean about a lot of the stores closing down. Rents getting too high maybe.

Do you still have the little plastic man, or did he go on an adventure, never to be seen again?

Do you still have the little plastic man, or did he go on an adventure, never to be seen again?
    The latter unfortunately. I'm quite upset about that actually. The car's not in the best of shape either truth be told. I also lost my TSWLM Esprit during a move my family made many years back.

The latter unfortunately. I'm quite upset about that actually. The car's not in the best of shape either truth be told. I also lost my TSWLM Esprit during a move my family made many years back.

I also have my Corgi DB5. Unfortunately, my plastic man is on holiday with yours!

I also have my Corgi DB5. Unfortunately, my plastic man is on holiday with yours!

A fate shared by many, I would imagine.
  • Re: fast and furious, I've always been a fan of 2001 original. I actually didn't mind Tokyo Drift either when it came out. But Fast Five is definitely the most well made of the bunch, I'd say. I wasn't impressed with # 6, Furious 7 was good considering what happened with Paul Walker. F8... should have been the end. It jumped the shark there, for me. This spinoff looks more OTT like #8.

I do know you're a fellow petrolhead, @bondjames. Autoart in particular has some pretty cars hasn't it? Remind me, what car do you drive (on the Hagerty insurance)? PM me if you can ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Hobbs & Shaw trailer is one of the best I have seen in a while, the film looks a blast.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hobbs & Shaw trailer is one of the best I have seen in a while, the film looks a blast.
    Agreed. And unlike others who are belittling it, I found it just as enjoyable and expect the film to give me exactly what I want: Entertainment. I'll be sure to buy the biggest popcorn bowl I could find. :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Agreed. And unlike others who are belittling it, I found it just as enjoyable and expect the film to give me exactly what I want: Entertainment. I'll be sure to buy the biggest popcorn bowl I could find. :D

I don't go to the cinema much these days though I'll make an effort for this, Hobbs & Shaw are easily my favourite characters from the FF films.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

This 100%
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,423
    51168202_535820063596019_8115634743548051456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_eui2=AeGXXVEWTDw0PLExYz9GX6Dzv6NaN-158liuPL6l7T7nyB3QdkIHaG_KGZfpdXIL_arUJFkFpxN3gJghVfXvo-X6WEKXawLDH2M9tjaJQGgnSQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fevn1-2.fna&oh=84e579099b483bb7740dd9aadad05853&oe=5CF101AC
    51144994_535820086929350_7333824668450684928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_eui2=AeG27djqiifWqX9GjXHPANDYHaRiai5PHJdXfZ6gyQpXYfhTpvelJNX3XzEbDYZnfvV334MhzJQhqhjRumPsJTFxdDmQhAZ32L5Jm5gHqEslfA&_nc_ht=scontent.fevn1-1.fna&oh=3a49ea166baec443346d6c1b5110f532&oe=5CB84D69
    51121278_535820100262682_4104867323309981696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeEjceknHlSEA2fPBPYQBA0qBkb9qj755-yiQwPvYqNBWPvZkW4BPxqR8u_236uOIVe0tentI916_7AhWBUGNe6lbtTSFIzDaHFB2mm0n2QlSQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fevn1-1.fna&oh=3db5d82bb0aef341f2f1a0c59759d4d3&oe=5D013616
    51193528_535820120262680_5054389974326050816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeHPuoC0L6oTlD0E2XBx2hAOm-M9XhmyMaixokUBgYUiRMclElt_RsUnNwc1FUvdd9qEKdY4Uwas2o28z37__MIwVkZ4UVPVOURrn9j7419-fA&_nc_ht=scontent.fevn1-2.fna&oh=747d5e47ef9fa039040b3be05148e06f&oe=5CB6AA3C

Character posters revealed by David Leitch on his Facebook page.

@DaltonCraig007 @doubleoego @Creasy47 @MajorDSmythe
    Superb.

Elba is one cool actor. He never lets me down. The guy has something special.