SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Yea, I see your point I guess. I just didn't bother me a lot.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @TheBondFan, it's not so much a last look at the place as it is an out-loud forced utterance.

But then most Bond one-liners are like that. Nobody really says those kinds of these, but it wouldn't be James Bond without them. I can see why the "Circle of life," line isn't good though, it makes no sense to follow up a quip with another quip. And I loved "He's keen to get home." It's a little Moore-esque, but that one nod was fine, given that it was brief and Skyfall is a 50th anniversary celebration.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved the "He's keen to get home." line as well, followed with the whole discussion between Bond and the woman on the train. The face he gives her when he enunciates "Open...the door." is hilarious.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    I loved the "He's keen to get home." line as well, followed with the whole discussion between Bond and the woman on the train. The face he gives her when he enunciates "Open...the door." is hilarious.

"He's keen to get home," got the biggest laugh out of the theater when I saw it for the first time. I didn't notice the second as much, but it's gotten funnier as I've watched it on DVD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love her blown away/surprised look and he's just bitter that he hasn't gotten immediate access.
    How about this for the future? Would LOVE it.
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/39-desolation-smaug-39-star-sir-ian-mckellen-003500810.html

They just shared a stage together and he was at the opening of the play as well. So, the connecction certainly is there.

Daniel presenting top fundraiser at Gypsy of the Year

tn-500_g28jpgpagespeedceqfa_az03Nn_zps82346378.jpg
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Germanlady wrote:
    http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/39-desolation-smaug-39-star-sir-ian-mckellen-003500810.html

They just shared a stage together and he was at the opening of the play as well. So, the connecction certainly is there.

Would be very happy to have Sir Ian hamming it up as a classic Bond villain with an evil plot. M, Q and MP only get 5 minutes and don't leave the office and Dan finally gets to shag a bird at the end. By all means have B25 go dark again (preferably ending a la the YOLT novel) but its time for Dan's TB/MR this time round.
  • Germanlady wrote:

Would be very happy to have Sir Ian hamming it up as a classic Bond villain with an evil plot. M, Q and MP only get 5 minutes and don't leave the office and Dan finally gets to shag a bird at the end. By all means have B25 go dark again (preferably ending a la the YOLT novel) but its time for Dan's TB/MR this time round.

Agree especially with the bit in bold. I'd love it if either Bond 24 or 25 used some of YOLT as inspiration (how the garden of death hasn't already made it into a film is beyond me).

Anyway, while I agree it's time for Craig to get an old school TB type adventure, I don't think we'll get one. I expected Skyfall to be more traditional and while in some ways it was, in others it went even further away from the Bond formula than CR and QOS.

And now Bond 24 is coming out and one of the first things we hear is about how Moneypenny is going to be more than a secretary again. I've just accepted that the Craig films are doing their own thing and I'm not getting my hopes up for a more traditional film because I don't think we'll get one. While I'd like M, Q and MP to have 5 minutes screentime, the actors are probably being paid too much for that now and Mendes seems to like the MI6 regulars as much as Bond himself (didn't he say something about seeing more of Tanner on the SF commentary?).

I've decided to go into Bond 24 expecting Moneypenny in the field and the gunbarrel at the end. That way if it is a more traditional film it'll be a nice surprise, and if it isn't, well I wasn't expecting one.
    Even though, it doesn't really matter that much for me, whether or not they go away from tradition, it makes sense, that they update the characters for modern times and IF that is so, the DC Bonds will be seen as "traditional" in however many years, since I highly doubt, they can afford to ever go back to the tradition some here treasure. I really believe, that after DC is done, they will leave the "old DC days" behind them again and try something new, which is probably even further removed from the Connery Bond.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,842
    Germanlady wrote:

Back in the 90s, I would have loved to see McKellen play a Bond villain. Now he may be getting a bit old for this, even though I generally prefer the villains to be relatively mature.

Regarding Bond movies's darkness, one can be both dark and have Bond end up with the Bond girl, etc. Not many Bond movies are as dark as FRWL, yet there are plenty of lighter moments and the ending is very upbeat. Personally, I would love the same tone as this one, mixed with elements of TB (both novel and film). The ending of the novel TB has never been done and would work perfectly for a Craig Bond with Craig I think.
  • Germanlady wrote:

Definitely agreed. He's been struggling with bittersweet endings and unresolved conflicts his whole tenure, the last thing he needs is another one. I think it's somewhat likely that we'll get a proper gun barrel at the start, since Mendes has said he wanted it there in Skyfall, and he did well enough to earn my goodwill with the rest of his work there. M and Moneypenny out of the office would be somewhat frustrating (especially Moneypenny, given her development last time), but at least there's precedent. Giving Q a character arc, especially in regard to his fear of flying or preference for lab work, would just be infuriating.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Back in the 90s, I would have loved to see McKellen play a Bond villain. Now he may be getting a bit old for this, even though I generally prefer the villains to be relatively mature.

Regarding Bond movies's darkness, one can be both dark and have Bond end up with the Bond girl, etc. Not many Bond movies are as dark as FRWL, yet there are plenty of lighter moments and the ending is very upbeat. Personally, I would love the same tone as this one, mixed with elements of TB (both novel and film). The ending of the novel TB has never been done and would work perfectly for a Craig Bond with Craig I think.

What you call upbeat I call naff. After all that has gone before the final scene is borderline embarrassing its so cheesy, although I suppose 90% of that is due to the horrendous back projection. Mind you the hand wave would be appalling even filmed on location.
    I would hope Logan is rereading the Fleming novels and taking inspiration from them.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

What you call upbeat I call naff. After all that has gone before the final scene is borderline embarrassing its so cheesy, although I suppose 90% of that is due to the horrendous back projection. Mind you the hand wave would be appalling even filmed on location.

Well, you can't have it all. People complain one movie is too dark and or too serious, then you have an ending when Bond gets the girl and triumphs but then some complain because he waves or winks at the audience or whatever. Regardless of its quality, or how much it contrasts from the overall movie, the ending of FRWL is upbeat. Hence you have a serious, dark Bond movie, when in the end he gets the girl and is having a bit of fun.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,506
    McKellan as head of Quantum! Would be ideal!!! [-O<
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'd still like Helen Mirren as a bad guy, and a female head of Quantum would be fine with me.
  • I'd still like Helen Mirren as a bad guy, and a female head of Quantum would be fine with me.

Or Tilda Swinton :-).
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,598
    MrBond wrote:
    @Bounine
    The feelings when i put on "Escape from Piz Gloria" in my headphones and go down the slope is quite indescribable!

I'm currently on holiday in Hong Kong for a few days before I head on to Shanghai. When I take a ferry ride down Victoria harbour I'll play "Hip's Trip" from TMWTGG soundtrack. Probably won't be quite the same thrill as skiing down the mountain to 'Escape From Piz Gloria" but should be nice all the same. :)

@4EverBonded A villain who is in charge of Quantum ("property of a Lady") would be fine but I don't know if I would really like Helen Mirren playing a villain. She's too well known after the "Red" films. She's a good actress though.
    I just can't wait for something official finally to get our teeth in too?!!! [-O<
  • RC7RC7
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I just can't wait for something official finally to get our teeth in too?!!! [-O<

That's a while off yet.
    RC7 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

That's a while off yet.

I know! That's the problem!
    ;) :))
    RogueAgent wrote:

Too old now and probably too busy with The Hobbit. And doesn't he play Magneto again? He would have been a perfect villain back in the 90s
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He's finished filming all his scenes for the hobbit movies as well as the latest x-men movie.
    RogueAgent wrote:

what I am hoping for

Bond 24 IS The Hildebrand Rarity

Title for the 24th bond film announced and is taken from a short story written by Ian Fleming.
    doubleoego wrote:
    He's finished filming all his scenes for the hobbit movies as well as the latest x-men movie.

I still find him a bit old. Although if he was going to play the villain, I'd still be happy, if only because of his acting skills.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

what I am hoping for

Title for the 24th bond film announced and is taken from a short story written by Ian Fleming.

I would bet good money against that happening.
    RC7 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

what I am hoping for

I would bet good money against that happening.

Oh it never will but I keep hoping
    Ludovico wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Too old now and probably too busy with The Hobbit. And doesn't he play Magneto again? He would have been a perfect villain back in the 90s

I think he would be great. Just give him a damn menacing henchman for Dan to have the big fight with? Maybe a Bale, Elba or Cumberbatch will do nicely!

Not all main villains have a fistfight with Bond. Off the top of my head their was Scaramanga, Stromberg, and to be honest more recently Silva! That was just a knife thrown into the back which you did not see even happen.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    That's a nice idea. McKellen as an old school Dr No esque villain with a really ripped henchman for Bond to fight with.
  • That's a nice idea. McKellen as an old school Dr No esque villain with a really ripped henchman for Bond to fight with.

@Creasy47 and I had a pretty good discussion about having Dwayne Johnson play a henchman, possibly to a female head of QUANTUM. We definitely agreed that they need to bring the henchman back to prominence, since it's been years since we've had a memorable one (Elvis doesn't count, he was memorably awful).