SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, if the man is still able to run around middle earth now, I think he can manage standing around giving threatening speeches and leave the physical stuff to a younger henchman, although I think a one on one physical confrontation between Bond and Silva was a massively missed opportunity.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    McKellan as head of Quantum! Would be ideal!!! [-O<

Too old now and probably too busy with The Hobbit. And doesn't he play Magneto again? He would have been a perfect villain back in the 90s

I think he would be great. Just give him a damn menacing henchman for Dan to have the big fight with? Maybe a Bale, Elba or Cumberbatch will do nicely!

Not all main villains have a fistfight with Bond. Off the top of my head their was Scaramanga, Stromberg, and to be honest more recently Silva! That was just a knife thrown into the back which you did not see even happen.
    Elba I could easily see as a henchman, Bale maybe, but Cumberbatch not really. He plays good freaky villains but does not exactly look physically menacing. It worked in Star Trek because he was meant to play a genetically modified uberman, but even then I thought it was not completely convincing.Montalban was more massive.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Well, if the man is still able to run around middle earth now, I think he can manage standing around giving threatening speeches and leave the physical stuff to a younger henchman, although I think a one on one physical confrontation between Bond and Silva was a massively missed opportunity.

Yes, it was surprising, in retrospect, that they didn't have Bond punch out Silva's prosthetic jaw for maximum creepiness.
    The Rock should defintly play a henchman in Bond 24. We havent had a real main henchman since DAD were over due
    In DAD, Zao or whatever his name was was barely a henchman. His death came off as completely anticlimatic. But I cannot see The Rock as a henchman. Too much of The Rock for my taste. Have a real actor or an unknown.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited December 2013 Posts: 1,257
    The Rock would make a good intimidating henchmen. It would be nice to see Bond face someone who physically outmatches him. I am wary about The Rock's acting skills though so perhaps casting him in a non speaking role like Oddjob. Maybe give him a memorable characteristic like a gnarly scary across throat (which is why he wouldn't speak).
    The Rock would make a good intimidating henchmen. It would be nice to see Bond face someone who physically outmatches him. I am wary about The Rock's acting skills though so perhaps casting him in a non speaking role like Oddjob. Maybe give him a memorable characteristic like a gnarly scary across throat (which is why he wouldn't speak).

This is why I'd be weary of such casting. That and his name being bigger than the role. But the gnarly scar across the throat would be a nice touch, whoever plays the henchman. That said, even, heck especially, a mute role requires acting skills.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    @Ludovico You know, you're definitely right about mute roles still requiring acting skills. Without words, you have to rely on gestures and facial expressions to convey thoughts, emotions, etc. For an inexperienced or not particularly skilled actor, these actions can end up looking silly or exaggerated:

tumblr_mkckqubwIh1qgs0jno1_500.gif
    The man I would loved to have seen as a henchman is sadly no longer with us. Michael Clarke Duncan I believe would have been immense against Craig's Bond.

RIP big guy! You are sorely missed!
    To be fair, the way it was written, I doubt anybody would have been able to do better. But some actors excel in mute roles. I think Conan Stevens played very well the role of the Mountain in Games of Throne and I could easily picture him as the henchman everybody has been waiting for. IF they write the role properly and within his skills.
  • The Rock would make a good intimidating henchmen. It would be nice to see Bond face someone who physically outmatches him. I am wary about The Rock's acting skills though so perhaps casting him in a non speaking role like Oddjob. Maybe give him a memorable characteristic like a gnarly scary across throat (which is why he wouldn't speak).

Rock has seemingly developed into a legitimate actor recently. He was supposedly the best thing about Snitch and Pain and Gain, although I can't confirm them personally as I haven't seen them.

Zao wasn't a very good henchman (not surprising, considering everything else in Die Another Day), but he was certainly superior to Demetrios,Elvis, and Patrice. I'd say Dwayne/Rock would have a good chance at being the best henchman since Ourumov and Onatopp, if not better.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RogueAgent wrote:
    The man I would loved to have seen as a henchman is sadly no longer with us. Michael Clarke Duncan I believe would have been immense against Craig's Bond.

He was fantastic in The Green Mile and Daredevil. Goes to show what a versatile actor he was as well. Just imagine him as a Mr Big kind of villain. Or Blofeld even.

Rock has seemingly developed into a legitimate actor recently. He was supposedly the best thing about Snitch and Pain and Gain, although I can't confirm them personally as I haven't seen them.

Zao wasn't a very good henchman (not surprising, considering everything else in Die Another Day), but he was certainly superior to Demetrios,Elvis, and Patrice. I'd say Dwayne/Rock would have a good chance at being the best henchman since Ourumov and Onatopp, if not better.

You are mixing different things. Both Dimitrios and Patrice were great villains, but not the same kinds as Grant or Oddjob. Both were not really henchmen actually, they were guns for hire, mercenaries. Dimitrios was not even supposed to be much of a fighter, he was more akin to Kronsteen, making plans and insuring their safe execution. Patrice was a competent hitman, but he was not meant to be more than that.
    RogueAgent wrote:

He was fantastic in The Green Mile and Daredevil. Goes to show what a versatile actor he was as well. Just imagine him as a Mr Big kind of villain. Or Blofeld even.

I thought he was a pretty unconvincing Kingpin, not really displaying much malevolence in spite of his impressive frame. As Mr Big, I would picture Idris Elba or maybe, maybe Lance Reddick (and yes I am a fan of The Wire). Blofeld I think should be white.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    What was great about Patrice? He didn't even speak until his death. If Patrice is a "great villain" then so is every nameless goon Bond fights.

Dimitrios I agree was pretty good. He seemed threatening and I liked his death scene.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,825
    What was great about Patrice? He didn't even speak until his death. If Patrice is a "great villain" then so is every nameless goon Bond fights.

Dimitrios I agree was pretty good. He seemed threatening and I liked his death scene.

Patrice didn't need to speak. That he does not actually makes him great, gives him a presence and an aura of menace. He is just a silent, efficient assassin. Just as not all villains, henchmen or others, have to be fighters, not all villains have to talk.
  • Ludovico wrote:

Patrice didn't need to speak. That he does not actually makes him great, gives him a presence and an aura of menace. He is just a silent, efficient assassin. Just as not all villains, henchmen or others, have to be fighters, not all villains have to talk.

I honestly don't know what you see in Patrice. He's a borderline non-entity who barely wounds Bond and fights him to a standstill on the train before losing to Bond in Shanghai about 45 minutes in. While it's true that not all henchmen need to speak, they need something distinguishing, or at least to do something rather than be a glorified goon.
    Ludovico wrote:

I honestly don't know what you see in Patrice. He's a borderline non-entity who barely wounds Bond and fights him to a standstill on the train before losing to Bond in Shanghai about 45 minutes in. While it's true that not all henchmen need to speak, they need something distinguishing, or at least to do something rather than be a glorified goon.

He is a very good goon, nothing more, but nothing less. And that is my whole point. He does fight Bond on a standstill, gets with some unwilling hand the upper hand, then as he is the only link MI6 and Bond have to their unknown adversary, he is the focus of the investigation at the beginning of the movie. A minor character, but very well conceived and depicted. Being a minor character is not a flaw, it is his state. And it is unfair to compare him to Oddjob or Grant. Patrice was not meant to be like them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Soundofthesinners has some good points, and yes, we've agreed that Dwayne Johnson would make one excellent physical henchman. Craig's Bond seems to be the biggest in terms of muscles and whatnot, so I want to see an enemy challenge that and give us one brutal fight in one of his Bond films.
    According to a new article with Ralph Fiennes, shooting of Bond 24 is to begin in October of 2014.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ralph-fiennes-capturing-charles-dickens-666345
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I wonder if they will be doing location shoots before then. Some good work can get done before the actors are needed.
    October??? Uurgh...then for the live of all that is holy, they better be getting all that preliminary work done, location scouting dusted and bond of that nonsense that forced the production to relocate their plans from India to Turkey. This better be the Bond movie with the smoothest production schedule with all this preproduction time and don't get me started on the script which has been worked on for over 2 years by the time PP starts.

RE: henchman

The Rock is a legitimate and very good actor and would make an excellent henchman. Lord knows we'd definitely get a good fight even if if means Bond getting the living day lights beaten out if him. Patrice was nothing special imo.
    I wonder if they will be doing location shoots before then. Some good work can get done before the actors are needed.

They better. I'm not a fan if this lastminite.com approach to a film's production, especially when preproduction has been in effect for over a year.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Just as we had heard, at least this is confirmed. A good quote from Fiennes too: "With Sam on the set, things like motivation and what's going on inside your head are part of the conversation."

Why are you surprised by this @doubleoego? It's always this kind of time they begin filming, some films even started in January.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Great to know now that it's confirmed. October 2014 will be here before we know it, and before that, we'll have a good bit of confirmed information.
    Awesome
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Just as we had heard, at least this is confirmed. A good quote from Fiennes too: "With Sam on the set, things like motivation and what's going on inside your head are part of the conversation."

Why are you surprised by this @doubleoego? It's always this kind of time they begin filming, some films even started in January.

I'm not really surprised just disappointed that with all the time allotted for preproduction and Craig's schedule dedicated for Bond 24 commences from the end of February, a late summer shooting schedule would be preferable but I suppose that's not what really bothers me; it's my pessimism of despite all this time, I'm afraid we're going to get a flawed script. I really hate when time is wasted so I'm hoping EoN are lining up all their ducks and getting everything that needs to be sorted done in time. I'm expecting this movie to be better than the last 3 Bond movies, especially considering the talent involved and the time dedicated for preproduction.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2013 Posts: 4,442
    I think the 2 months earlier not be for extra time, but because to help Daniel Craig to be finished in May 2015 or so insteed of July 2015. Because i think Sony whant Daniel Craig start filming the second Millenium movie for 2016 release date. If that be case it also give composer more time.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    doubleoego wrote:
    my pessimism of despite all this time, I'm afraid we're going to get a flawed script.

Well, hopefully as time goes on and news comes in you'll feel more confident about the script. I believe we will get something of the quality of Skyfall again. One thing this does mean is an extra month's time in post-production as filming will be finished by March/April so perhaps this also opens up the window for a follow-up two, not three years later if they want to take it.
    M_Balje wrote:
    I think Sony whant Daniel Craig start filming the second Millenium movie for 2016 release date.

This film won't happen now, people need to let this go. For what it's worth I would have loved to have seen them too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This film won't happen now, people need to let this go. For what it's worth I would have loved to have seen them too.

Why say that?
    It's been far too long. Everyone has moved on and 2016 is five years after the release of the first film. If Sony wanted them they would have struck while the iron was hot and that was long ago. The film underperformed and that was the end of that. You may think I'm being negative but I don't see any way of these films happening now, as much as I loved the first.