SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,352
    It's only a month later as Baz was first out of the gate with saying filming would be delayed until November a few months ago.

I'm not too worried and do feel this one may be different as Logan has written the bulk of the script instead of Purvis and Wade, unlike last time. Plus, a Logan only Bond may still arrive one day.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    It's not April Fool's surely......

P+W can write basic screenplays, but dialogue, as some else said, is their weakness. Still better the devil you know, one might say.....
    Just coming round with the help of some smelling salts... please someone, tell me this isn't true!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I only wish they would be able to bring Roger Deakins back for Bond 24. Highly unlikely, even impossible, but it would such great news, his cinematography in SKYFALL was fanttastic, IMO.
    Surely a Bond only from Logan won
    Getafix wrote:
    Just coming round with the help of some smelling salts... please someone, tell me this isn't true!

It isn't true...

well - it might be. But be brave, its all talked about start to finish already. Time will tell...
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Okay, putting a positive spin on this (if it's true), I don't think Mendes would tolerate the usual rubbish from P+W, so they won't get away with the bad dialogue they've produced in the past. I would have preferred if this had been done the other way around though. P+W producing the story and Logan or someone else (Haggis?) polishing the dialogue.

It does all make me uneasy though. When will the release date be? I can't believe that Mendes would have asked for P+W to be brought back in, so this is obviously being driven by EON. If EON feel the need to exert their control more, what does that mean for Mendes? Is he happy about what's going? I don't imagine he's the kind of director that appreciates the producers imposing re-writes at a late stage in the project.

Ever since that Logan interview came out and because of the general lack of info coming out, I've had this nagging suspicion that some kind of turmoil was going on behind the scenes.

Just hope this doesn't lead to a major delay in release. I'm just wondering if the next news is going to be that Mendes has left the project...? I don't think he'd do that to Craig, but it is all rather troubling.

If the news was that they'd brought in another quality writer to polish the script I would be happy, but not P+W. All the implications of this are worrying.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hopefully Pervis was the bad egg in that partnership, and this new guy Purivs
    can bring something to the table.

Logan s Run from Bond is worrisome for me as well.
    Why are people here suddenly worrying about the release date being pushed back? Even if shooting is delayed, in no way does that mean the film won't still be released on schedule.

Let's all take a deep breath and wait till we hear the official line coming out of EON.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Eh, I'll wait for EON's word. I don't trust anyone else. ;)

The same Eon that denied that Ben Whishaw had been hired to play Q? The same Eon that denied that John Logan had been hired to write Bond 24? That Eon?

I understand the wariness with the Daily Mail. But it's not like Eon shoots very straight at times.
    Why are people here suddenly worrying about the release date being pushed back? Even if shooting is delayed, in no way does that mean the film won't still be released on schedule.

Let's all take a deep breath and wait till we hear the official line coming out of EON.

EON are not going to advertise this kind of thing though, are they?

Yes, let's not over-react, but some of us were sensing something was up when the Logan interview came out. In the absence of solid news from EON, we can only speculate. To be honest, it's was more the lack of any announcements from EON that was beginning to make me concerned.

I agree with an earlier post that sometimes a little bit of pressure can produce good results. So the best possible outcome is that it spurs everyone to work do a tighter schedule. But if they don't start filming until December, it will obviously allow less time for post production and editing if they still want to release in Nov 2015.
    Getafix wrote:

EON are not going to advertise this kind of thing though, are they?

I agree with an earlier post that sometimes a little bit of pressure can produce good results. So the best possible outcome is that it spurs everyone to work do a tighter schedule. But if they don't start filming until December, it will obviously allow less time for post production and editing if they still want to release in Nov 2015.

They'd have to announce it if they plan on delaying filming. They can't phone Pinewood and say "Shh, don't tell anyone but we won't be there for another two months".
    Yes, but they will hold off on stating that until the very last minute is what I mean. They're not going to issue a press statement now saying that they might be considering delaying filming and release date.

Any way, I think the very fact that EON have brought in P+W is indication of EON's determination to stick to the schedule. And it looks to me like they are imposing P+W on Mendes. I just cannot see any circumstances in which Mendes will be happy about this.
    Getafix wrote:
    Yes, but they will hold off on stating that until the very last minute is what I mean. They're not going to issue a press statement now saying that they might be considering delaying filming and release date.

They'd have to inform Pinewood sooner rather than later if that is their plan because of other productions waiting to begin. I imagine they only have the studio booked for a specific time.
    Am I the only one happy Logan will not be the sole writer? My concern is who they alledgedly brought back and why, according to the article. And that's why I take the news with a pinch of salt: why would they bring back a duo to change dialogues when they involved Haggis and Logan in the past to polish the dialogues... Written by the same duo?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,669

I just surmised with a two-month shooting delay that the film would have to be pushed back.

Also, Craig will turn 47 when this film is still shooting. At this rate (with delays and such bigger gaps between the films), he may be into his 50's by the time B25 starts shooting.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yeah I am glad too that Logan is most likely not the sole writer. P&W okay but never liked there story structure ...plots okay although started to repeat by SF. Not too worried either ...wished had a different script doc(s) lol but that's okay. P&W are fresh eyes and should be capable enough of polishing what they need. And its spicing up the interaction anyway not all the dialogue

Creasy47 wrote:

I just surmised with a two-month shooting delay that the film would have to be pushed back.

Also, Craig will turn 47 when this film is still shooting. At this rate (with delays and such bigger gaps between the films), he may be into his 50's by the time B25 starts shooting.

That's why he keeps repeating that contracts are......... paper. I agree. The success of the next will decide on that. Beter stop, while you are on top IMO. However this will turn out. They stole 1 film from him. 25 or not....
  • interesting development if this is in fact true...although not uheard of in the film industry. .i guess that they have just been hired to write a bit of "british" humour and some banter between the main characters. They probably won't even get a screenplay credit.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Pinch of salt anyone ?
    Let not get to worked up over this
    Wait till we get news from EON they will tell us when there ready to.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Pinch of salt anyone ?
    Let not get to worked up over this
    Wait till we get news from EON they will tell us when there ready to.

Well, Baz does have a good track record, so I figured I would speak on the matter in case it is true. If it's not, then everyone will believe it still once its been debunked, as it has been passed around to all the major entertainment news sites that I've seen.
    I haven't seen any other sides yet. But I am sure, they will ....do you have links though?
    Germanlady wrote:
    I haven't seen any other sides yet. But I am sure, they will ....do you have links though?

If you're referring to me, do you mean links to other sites, or links to news that Baz has been correct about?
    I don't mind other writers coming in. I am not the world's biggest fan of Logan. Just not happy that they've brought back P+W.
    Getafix wrote:
    I don't mind other writers coming in. I am not the world's biggest fan of Logan. Just not happy that they've brought back P+W.

Bring me in, so I can sprinkle in mature, plot-assisting things like boobies, fart jokes, sex jokes, and slide-whistles at random moments that don't fit at all.

EX: Bond is walking down a hall. Slide whistle.
    If this is yrue, maybe it happened because of Logan's hubris? He thought of a two movies arc, he seemed to have a detailed vision of what he wanted...
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Bring me in, so I can sprinkle in mature, plot-assisting things like boobies, fart jokes, sex jokes, and slide-whistles at random moments that don't fit at all.

EX: Bond is walking down a hall. Slide whistle.

You're hired!
    Ludovico wrote:
    If this is yrue, maybe it happened because of Logan's hubris? He thought of a two movies arc, he seemed to have a detailed vision of what he wanted...

i think he must have been supported in this by EON. It's Mendes who didn't want the two story arc. Now they're having issues with the script. Totally understandable that Logan is a bit annoyed. For all we know, he may have walked.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,043
    I don't know what to think I was one of those quite please at the departure of P&W but there is no denying they know their Bond. As many have already said these films rarely come from the pen of one writer and the polishing seems like a natural occurrence within EON on all Craig's films.

Logan does appear to alluding to not entirely loving his assignment and if BB has a genuine scoop then this makes sense that this has happened.

The thought that Mendes might jump ship has crossed my mind as well but I think he'll stay on board but wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't returning for Bond 25.

There is a tendency to think that this spells trouble, at least it's not been written by a committee like the Marvel house appears to do.

None of us know what kind of film this is going to be but those not keen on the humour in SF might have reason to worry, that film was huge for the series and right or wrong in your personal opinions it was part of what made SF a big hit with the general public. Which when all said and done these films are made for. Bond has never been there to give service to hardcore fans, yes there is mythology but your not going to get to much fan wankery like the Marvel, DC and Fox CB films have a tendency to do.

I think the best we can do is ride with this news as I've a feeling it's genuine and see where it takes us, until we have an idea of casting, locations and some hint of plot we are all getting our knickers in a twist over nothing yet.

I don't think Mendes will leave, but again, imagine what it would be like if they waited an extra year for him to be available, just for him to leave, and production/release is delayed even further while the script is worked on and the search begins for a new director.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't think Mendes will leave, but again, imagine what it would be like if they waited an extra year for him to be available, just for him to leave, and production/release is delayed even further while the script is worked on and the search begins for a new director.

And then Craig leaves, of course. Oh, the hysteria! :))
    And then Fiennes, Harris, and Whishaw. Then the writers leave. Then Bond is dead...

...forever.