SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Just woken up to this news. My first thoughts are that I really had hoped to have seen the last of P&W.

Secondly, as others have pointed out, I don't see why a release date would need to be pushed back a couple of months if it's just a case of polishing the script.

I know that Baz can be accurate with some of his gossip, but no other news source is carrying this story, nor is there anything official coming from Sony or EON so I will reserve any judgement until I hear from the horse's mouth (and no, I'm not talking about Babs). ;-)
    Baz - for what I know - often has a 1 or 2 days ahead of news. If there is nothing on Monday, it might be rubbish, but I don't think, so.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    All good - but as mentioned before, HOW COME a few adds here and there make for a 2 months delay?

It's a long arduous process.

So I have heard, it just SEEMS strange, that polishing bits here and there would take that much time. Only if it makes a difference in location and action, it makes sense to me. But I gladly listen to those, who know better. I am just nitpicking along unknown (to me) lines.

If shooting has/will be pushed back, it won't just be polishing.
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    All good - but as mentioned before, HOW COME a few adds here and there make for a 2 months delay?

So I have heard, it just SEEMS strange, that polishing bits here and there would take that much time. Only if it makes a difference in location and action, it makes sense to me. But I gladly listen to those, who know better. I am just nitpicking along unknown (to me) lines.

If shooting has/will be pushed back, it won't just be polishing.
    Right, what I was thinking - so what we got so far is the polished version of what REALLY happened.
    I read it & I just get very sick of tired of the filming delayed. It better be released next year 2015. I was looking forward to the filming this October.(2015)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Murdock wrote:
    Let's hope David Arnold is back to punch up the music.

Count me in supporting Arnold's return. :D

That was my thought as well! Let's hope they're gonna bring back David Arnold!
    Germanlady wrote:
    They should have let Mendes go and go on with it and get it out this year, for f**** S*** :-w

I definitely agree.
    Yes on Arnold!!!
    Strelik wrote:
    Sandy says:

If the producers were not satisfied with Logan's work then by all means bring someone else.
    I fully agree with Sandy and yet, out of the millions of possible screenwriters, why must they use Purvis and Wade? Re-watch their (numerous) Skyfall interviews: They publicly declared they were growing fatigued with the franchise and were having trouble coming up with any fresh ideas for Bond. They were blunt about their creative malaise, and their utter boredom with the Bond franchise was made readily apparent in each interview. They didn't want to come back.

It's strange how many forum posters are willfully forgetting all of those extremely candid "thank god, we're finally moving on from Bond" interviews given by P&W. The duo made it very clear they didn't want to ever return to Bond and wanted to pursue other things.

Money seems to have changed their minds.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Why not getting others? Maybe those, who could be be chosen, were busy on this short notice. But its not, that there is a non existant script.
    That was my first thought on this too. Feels as if someone high up noticed they´re unhappy with proceedings, but with plans all layed out for shooting, it´s very short notice for trying out someone new. P&W are in any case well known to the producers, both parties know how to work with one another.

And yes, it´s a funny co-incidence that the Barbarella project seems to have stalled lately.

If we´re being honest, P&W have done a huge variety of things with Bond, from utterly ridiculous stuff like DAD to rough and gritty no gadget stuff, i.e. Craig-Bond, so all that flak they get seems to be founded on poor research.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 7,506
    Ok, I apologize for making fun of the Logan-Eon-reliationaship speculation earlier. =; When the producers resort to this, something's clearly not right...
    At least P & W seemed pretty enthusiastic about the material for the last five movies. Didn't seem to take long at all for Logan's excitement about being involved with 007 to fizzle out.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,661
    If the rewrite is just dialogue and not entire scenes/chunks of the storyline I can't imagine there will be any delay. If the film starts shooting in December it will be done by June or July leaving enough time for all post production.

Tomorrow Never Dies had a very fraught screenwriting process - it was claimed scenes were rewritten during the filming - but it got made and released on time. If memory serves me, TND started principal photography in April 1997.
    I'd be lying if I was saying I'm thrilled about this news, if it is true (it is from the Daily Mail after all). Who would want Purvis and Wade to improve dialogues? It has always been their weakness! The strength, and maybe the only true strength of Logan is his dialogues. Have someone polish the plot? Yes absolutely. Logan has never been the best plot writer. But even if they'd had been rehired for that. P & W recycle a lot, so I don't see what they can bring to the table.
    Just woken up to this news. My first thoughts are that I really had hoped to have seen the last of P&W.

Secondly, as others have pointed out, I don't see why a release date would need to be pushed back a couple of months if it's just a case of polishing the script.

I know that Baz can be accurate with some of his gossip, but no other news source is carrying this story, nor is there anything official coming from Sony or EON so I will reserve any judgement until I hear from the horse's mouth (and no, I'm not talking about Babs). ;-)

At this point I wonder how much of it is,true, if any.
    Where's Getafix when you need him? ;)
    Hiring them to rework the dialogues simply doesn't make sense.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Hiring them to rework the dialogues simply doesn't make sense.

Good we will have MI5 on schedule.

I think some of us picked up on the first cracks in the screenplay development a while back and aren't in the least bit surprised to read that another team of writers (in this case P&W) have been brought back to knock the script into shape before full production begins. I think this is more than just a "sprinkling of gags" but more of a total rewrite with the bare bones of the plot and locations still remaining. Now, some of us trust Baz Bamigboye on his Bond scoops whilst others are a more than tad reticent. For the record, I trust his inside information which is obviously exclusive to him, hence the reason why you won't see other movie sites with their own "inside scoops".

Gauging this story further I'd suggest that a studio executive isn't happy with the logistical headaches of rescheduling the production at the last minute, especially when the script should be nailed down at this stage, and is leaking this info early as it's bound to come out sooner or later when Eon don't hit their deadlines. I'm sure other posters here will point out that many movies go into production incomplete or being rewritten on the spot, but unless we talk specifics here and their artistic results then it's inconsequential. I'm sure Joss Wheden's Avengers: Age of Ultron wasn't sketchy and being constantly altered leading up to its production date? Maybe this is more akin to that other Marvel production Ant-Man? But then again, maybe we (nor I) should make comparisons as this movie has a very different set of problems particular to its own journey and making comparisons is worthless.

Personally I'd have preferred it if Mendes hadn't been brought back and they'd gone with another director and we'd got Bond 24 this autumn instead of... whenever? But alas, it is what it is.
    BAIN123 wrote:

If he indeed has gotten the news,I doubt he's already come back to consciousness.
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

If this helps, I am a professional screenwriter (both film and tv) as many of you here are aware. I have worked through the writing process from scratch (verbal pitch, story-line, out-line, full treatments, full drafts, revisions etc.) to production many times.

Logan has evidently delivered the 1st draft now and more than likely has completed revisions on that draft, perhaps even a 2nd draft - and now all parties have agreed a fresh set of eyes on the script and story (or in this case, the experienced eyes of past Bond writers) is the most positive way to advance into production. This is very, very common in screenwriting. And nothing to get worried about. It is far better they have the best screenplay possible before they start filming. (Eon know this all too well - both TND and QOS suffered due to shooting with scripts which needed much more work.)

Decisions have obviously been made and ideas discussed at length for a new draft, and, based on the estimated amount of re-write work involved, a schedule has been established which pushes back the shoot date by two months. Again, this happens more often than many might realize.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

If he indeed has gotten the news,I doubt he's already come back to consciousness.

:)) So looking forward to him waking up and posting.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,403
    Many of the responses here are confusing me. This is far from an unnatural occurrence. Big budget movies often go through several different writers before making it to the screen. It's likely that Logan's time on the screenplay had reached it's natural end and as the director Mendes felt it necessary to have a new pair of eyes to pick up the work Logan had previously done.

It's not unusual and in fact happened to P&W several times over the last few years. It makes sense that Mendes brought back P&W as they clearly enjoyed a very successfully collaboration on SF. It's possible given Logan's recent comments that he is slightly bruised by Mendes asking P&W back and therefore effectively taking him out of the picture (at least for the meanwhile) as he supposedly came up with the story (this would also explain Baz's comments surrounding the 'polite turmoil' at EON).

Bond 24 will still come at next year regardless of the production delay. SF was something of an anomaly as it had a full year in production before coming out in 2012, typically Bond films work on around a 10 month production window; eg, CR started filming in February 2006 and came out in November that same year. This story is nothing to worry about and just a necessary part of Bond 24's development.

Another possible explanation behind the delays could be work at Pinewood on 'Star Wars'. Abram's film has been plagued with problems and it's likely that delays will occur which will naturally affect other films wishing to use the facility.
    It would have been naive for anyone to believe that Logan would be the sole writer for a Bond film and if they are purely making touch-ups then I don’t see why it would affect the release date. Only if you make enough big alterations that affect locations and sets would that happen.
    I certainly don’t hold them responsible for every bad thing in their previous efforts, but why go back to these two? So many others could have been turned to. It was time to move on after Skyfall.
    grunther wrote:
    It would have been naive for anyone to believe that Logan would be the sole writer for a Bond film and if they are purely making touch-ups then I don’t see why it would affect the release date. Only if you make enough big alterations that affect locations and sets would that happen.
    I certainly don’t hold them responsible for every bad thing in their previous efforts, but why go back to these two? So many others could have been turned to. It was time to move on after Skyfall.

Maybe they got back to them because they are the devil they know. That is if the Daily Mail article is true, in part or in full. I never thought Logan would or should be the sole writer. He is good with characters, great with dialogues, but plot wise his scripts are often lacking. But Purvis and Wade are not outstanding plot writers and their dialogues are often poor.
    Overall I suppose Mendes, Wilson an DC are having their inputs as well. Either many cooky screw it up or make it better. We will find that out.
    Overall I suppose Mendes, Wilson an DC are having their inputs as well. Either many cooky screw it up or make it better. We will find that out.
    Ludovico wrote:

Maybe they got back to them because they are the devil they know. That is if the Daily Mail article is true, in part or in full. I never thought Logan would or should be the sole writer. He is good with characters, great with dialogues, but plot wise his scripts are often lacking. But Purvis and Wade are not outstanding plot writers and their dialogues are often poor.

This might sound strange, but it can be very hard to determine a writer's actual work and ability from a finished film. I think it was Robert Towne (famous for Chinatown - and one of my top ten films) who said the only real way to judge a screenwriter's work and true ability is to read his or her's original - untouched by others - spec screenplays. Simply put, there can be so many fingers in the pie by the time a script gets to camera even the greatest writing can become muddled, weakened, even ruined in the end.

So perhaps the finished films, like TWINE or DAD, do not do their work justice.

They are not hugely successful and highly paid screenwriters for nothing.
  • RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote:
    This might sound strange, but it can be very hard to determine a writer's actual work and ability from a finished film. I think it was Robert Towne (famous for Chinatown - and one of my top ten films) who said the only real way to judge a screenwriter's work and true ability is to read his or her's original - untouched by others - spec screenplays. Simply put, there can be so many fingers in the pie by the time a script gets to camera even the greatest writing can become muddled, weakened, even ruined in the end.

Never a truer word. Until people write a screenplay and have it go into production, I think it's very hard to understand.
    RC7 wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:

Never a truer word. Until people write a screenplay and have it go into production, I think it's very hard to understand.

Yes, it's a complex (frequently exhausting) process to explain. The writing is always key to a good film - but of course the problem is that there are plenty (too many) producers - even directors - out there who do not recognize good writing when it's right in front of them.

hmm