SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Well gotta have some faith in the talent of Mendes to get what he wants and the standard he wants.... I don't agree with all of his interpretation of Bond nor of Logan's either. (didn't know a Scottish peasant lived in such elaborate estates.) ...but I am not jumping ship yet.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    All good - but as mentioned before, HOW COME a few adds here and there make for a 2 months delay?

It's a long arduous process.

So I have heard, it just SEEMS strange, that polishing bits here and there would take that much time. Only if it makes a difference in location and action, it makes sense to me. But I gladly listen to those, who know better. I am just nitpicking along unknown (to me) lines.

If this helps, I am a professional screenwriter (both film and tv) as many of you here are aware. I have worked through the writing process from scratch (verbal pitch, story-line, out-line, full treatments, full drafts, revisions etc.) to production many times.

Logan has evidently delivered the 1st draft now and more than likely has completed revisions on that draft, perhaps even a 2nd draft - and now all parties have agreed a fresh set of eyes on the script and story (or in this case, the experienced eyes of past Bond writers) is the most positive way to advance into production. This is very, very common in screenwriting. And nothing to get worried about. It is far better they have the best screenplay possible before they start filming. (Eon know this all too well - both TND and QOS suffered due to shooting with scripts which needed much more work.)

Decisions have obviously been made and ideas discussed at length for a new draft, and, based on the estimated amount of re-write work involved, a schedule has been established which pushes back the shoot date by two months. Again, this happens more often than many might realize

Thanks very much, @ColonelSun. It's great to hear from someone in the film business like yourself, and especially one who has worked on a Bond film. I know you don't post often, but I always find your posts helpful and enlightening. We appreciate your contributions to our forum. Cheers!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So...Skyfall was the last Bond film then?
    Yes, apparently we need Benny's "It's the End of the World" sign again. :O
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think were blowing things way out of proportion. We don't have the full story yet.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Next thing you know, Michael and Barbara have sold EON to Disney and moved to the Bahamas.
    Next thing you know, Michael and Barbara have sold EON to Disney and moved to the Bahamas.

Yes, Bond seems to one of the few franchises they don't own these days.
    And I have a volcano lair in nearby Kyushu.
    Not.

Anyway, at least we finally have some Bond news. Not the kind we really wanted to hear, though. I'd appreciate EON getting something solid to us about the new cinematographer SOON.
  • Yes, apparently we need Benny's "It's the End of the World" sign again. :O

Something something something LEONARD BERNSTEIN!

If this means Blofeld is brought back then I'm happy.
    It seems a shame that DC has not been able to make 4 films by now. We should really be gearing up for his 5th. I think another film after this might be pushing it.

EON really need to sort things out. It seems that when they have things running relatively smoothly (the Brosnan era) the end result is garbage. But when they try and improve the quality, we get endless delays. Such a shame we can't have both - smooth production schedule and better quality.

• @Getafix, we got that in the 60s, but they had all the Fleming in the world to work with back then. On the other hand, we don't even know for sure if Bond 24's delayed yet. It's easy to be pessimistic right after the bad news breaks, but we should give it some time before pressing the panic button.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 12,459
    And now for something different ... Just reading on Yahoo about the lawsuit filed April 3rd against Universal, by Danjaq and MGM. So it is ongoing and gets to a judge on July 28th.
    The articles states in part (I added the bold):

This all started in the federal courts on April 3 when MGM and Danjaq whacked Universal for unspecified damages and an injunction against the announced Berg-written spy drama, calling it a “James Bond knockoff.” Simultaneously, in a similar but heavily redacted opposition this week to the scribe’s own motion of dismissal, MGM and Danjag claim “Berg’s central character is not an original character he created.” The opposition filing says, “it is a character who acts like James Bond, speaks like James Bond, and possesses the other unique traits of James Bond.”
    With Hollywood’s license to kill lawyer Bert Fields and his Greenberg Glusker Fields Claman & Machtinger LLP colleague Aaron Moss leading the charge, Universal responded to the initial complaint on April 11 in court paperwork of its own. Then they asserted that film was not even formally a go despite director Joe Cornish being brought on back in March.After more back and forth filing, Universal and Berg on May 27th both took it to the next level with motions to dismiss. They also said that the pic about the origin of UK intelligence agency was still in the very early stages of development and hence did not infringe on the Bond copyright. Universal claimed even if it did go ahead, and that was an “if,” the script and movie would “deviate significantly from its current iteration.”

In response to that, MGM and the Bond producers also just stopped short of calling Universal liars in their recent filing. “After plaintiffs filed this lawsuit, Universal admitted that it is working with co-defendant Berg to prepare a derivative work based on the infringing Screenplay,” says the 28-page opposition filing. “Universal has paid Berg over $1 million for the Screenplay and it would be contrary to industry practice, and make no sense, to pay anything close to that amount of money for a screenplay whose characters, plot, key dialogue, themes, settings, etc., the buyer intended to immediately discard.”

With all that, likely there will be some very serious bad blood flowing when all the motions are heard in front of Judge Dean D. Pregerson on July 28 in downtown L.A.

Just to have a brief update on that bit of news that is developing, unrelated to Bond 24 as it is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @4EverBonded, I was reading up on that last night, it was news to me. Didn't hear anything about it until then.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,471
    Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32728/-bond-24-production-delay-due-to-re-writes

Specifically the duo are being brought back in to "punch up the jokes and add more insight into the past world of James Bond, giving the film a touch of history".
    At present there are no plans to change the November 2015 release date.
    "Bond 24" Production Delay Due To Re-Writes?

By Garth Franklin Friday June 27th 2014 11:00AM
    "Bond 24" Production Delay Due To Re-Writes?

Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have been the early writers on the James Bond film series since 1999's "The World is Not Enough," the pair often doing the initial drafts with other writers like Paul Haggis and John Logan coming in to polish.

It seemed as if the pair were set to retire from the series after handing in their early drafts of "Skyfall," with Logan subsequently taking over the later drafts and was set to handle the upcoming twenty-fourth Bond film solo.

That changed this week. Logan has been working for several months on the script for "Bond 24," and now The Daily Mail reports that Purvis and Wade have been brought in to polish his work. Specifically the duo are being brought back in to "punch up the jokes and add more insight into the past world of James Bond, giving the film a touch of history".

The project was originally slated to start filming this Fall (October/November) but filming has been pushed back to December. Their source says:

"Let's call it polite turmoil. People are getting on with their work, but we have to wait for the script, so filming won't begin till December, a few months later than they wanted."

At present there are no plans to change the November 2015 release date.
    ColonelSun wrote:
    If this helps, I am a professional screenwriter (both film and tv) as many of you here are aware. I have worked through the writing process from scratch (verbal pitch, story-line, out-line, full treatments, full drafts, revisions etc.) to production many times.

Thanks very much, @ColonelSun. It's great to hear from someone in the film business like yourself, and especially one who has worked on a Bond film.

You both made me very curious now... But I guess it's a reason why neither of you would be more specific, so, although tempting, I won't ask any questions... :P
    So no real "official" news yet on the release date. Let us hope it is Nov. or Dec. at the latest. I'd like to hear from EON on that; hopefully we will this summer, at some point.

Jobo, ColonelSun was involved with License to Kill and (maybe)The Living Daylights, if I remember correctly. :) A bit unsure other than LTK; I need to read some past threads.
    You can probably search for his posts about it; I forget which thread it was on.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,506
    Thank you! Now I won't lose any sleep tonight... ;)
    Deakins did outstanding, beautiful, and at times stunning work in Skyfall. He did a far from ordinary job on that film. There are other good cinematographers/directors of photography - I just want another top quality person in that role. I would be happy if we got confirmation of that soon. I hope we get news in spring ... I cannot remember what is usually announced early on. Some of you will recall that better than I.

For me personally, the best motto after "Skyfall" should have been "Never change a winning team". I was quite a bit sad after Deakins announced he would leave. The effect of the digitally filmed "Skyfall" wins from the previous two films "CR" and "QOS".

Regarding the news about John Logan not finishing it himself completely, saddens me even more. The basis of a good film, is a very stable writing process. A few months ago we all thought his ideas for Bond 24 AND Bond 25 looked like a done deal. Then this message arrives from Purvis & Wade: "have just been hired to re-write Logan ’s script and give it some ‘punch’." Usually those are words for "more action".

I don't know what to think of Purvis & Wade returning. But it's never an ideal situation if a script isn't finished perfectly in an early stage, if older screenwriters need to polish it up and if filming now will take place two months later.

It means Sam Mendes may need to become even more a blockbuster/action director compared to "Skyfall". For me....far from ideal.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't see that punch means more action ...just means less bland.
    Well, seeing as revisions and polishing are fairly common in the film industry, I am trying not to worry. Even with P&W. They have experience with Bond, and here's hoping we get their best for Bond 24.

Good to hear from you again, GG. :) Nice to have you back.

And yes, I agree punch doesn't mean more action necessarily, mcdonbb; for me it means "more interesting" or livelier, more spark.
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    If this is yrue, maybe it happened because of Logan's hubris? He thought of a two movies arc, he seemed to have a detailed vision of what he wanted...

i think he must have been supported in this by EON. It's Mendes who didn't want the two story arc. Now they're having issues with the script. Totally understandable that Logan is a bit annoyed. For all we know, he may have walked.

I understand Mendes about the two movies arc. I am repeating myself, but that would be a huge gamble. A one movie with some open ends that can lead to more is fine, but a two parts story is very risky. Especially since the shortcomings of Logan are in the plots.
    I'm happy it is not a 2 movies arc myself.
    Not necessary or even desirable for Bond, I think.

Just about every film site I've seen today has picked up on it. ComingSoon, ComicBookMovie, SlashFilm, etc.
    Yes but just quoting Baz, right? Nothing new yet or from official sources yet. Maybe in July.
    Rumors fall like misery on poor people, as my mum says.
    Yes but just quoting Baz, right? Nothing new yet or from official sources yet. Maybe in July.

Nah, they're all quoting Baz, but just because numerous sites picked it up doesn't make it official. We're still all working on Baz's word, no official confirmation yet.
  • Eon won't confirm until they (and MGM and Sony) do the press release that accompanies the start-of-filming press conference. Even then, it won't acknowledge the change. It will simply list the writers as if that was the plan all along.

Similar example: In 2009, Eon put out a press release saying Peter Morgan had been hired to work with Purvis and Wade. In 2011, when Bond 23 was again a go, the press release mentioned Purvis, Wade and Logan, no mention of Morgan. It was as if he never existed.
    Well they'll have to confirm if it alters the release date, or at least give a heads up that the press conference/filming most certainly will NOT be starting at the previously given dates.