SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate it.
    But as i understand it, not every cinematographer wants to or can use sdigital? Its not that the prods can just tell them to do it one way or another. Right?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I believe they will get an excellent cinematographer because of Deakins' outstanding work in Skyfall - hard act to follow, but I don't mean it just that way. The importance of cinematography was made more obvious by Skyfall being so gorgeously shot. There are fine cinetographers - I hope the producers have taken the care, and time, to get a great one. And then let him or her work in their favorite medium (film or digital). Like Sandy said, both film and digital can produce very beautiful films. They won't hire a cinematographer and then say, Oh you must work in digital.
  • boldfinger wrote:
    I haven´t heard of any production yet that would get preference over the next Bond film like that.
    Well Sony Entertainement as a whole is not so big compared to other studios now, and there are even uncertainties over its future in the very short term. But that was just an hypothesis to show that these are not industries where you take your phone and ask for a digital camera for next week. We're talking about hardware that costs 6 numbers, etc.

If one wants a controversial hypothesis : with digital, everyone on set, including producers, could watch the final result. Now if you don't want producers telling you what to do you behind your shoulder, shoot on film :)

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The Skyfall press conference was in October, in London. They began principal photography shooting the scenes where Bond first enters the London Underground MI6 location the week following the press conference.

The Skyfall press conference was on Nov. 3, 2011.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/eon-says-bond-23-title-is-skyfall-confirms-other-reports/

Here's the press release.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eon-productions-metro-goldwyn-mayer-studios-and-sony-pictures-entertainment-announce-7th-november-is-start-of-production-for-23rd-james-bond-film-skyfall-133144863.html

Oh, apologies. All this talk of October had me mixed up. Thank you for correcting me.. three days later. (:|
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    I am all for Adele to be the next Shirley Bassey, so I am all for her to return for Bond 24. And I don't think she is the only logical choice, but I think she is one of the good choices.

Adele to be the next Shirley Bassey?
    This rather belongs in the top jokes from the UK thread (at least in my opinion). Adele is light-years away from Bassey when it comes to Voice, expression and most of all sheer power.

Clearly, an Adele-Bassey (Bassey-Adele?) duet is in order.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The Skyfall press conference was in October, in London. They began principal photography shooting the scenes where Bond first enters the London Underground MI6 location the week following the press conference.

The Skyfall press conference was on Nov. 3, 2011.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/eon-says-bond-23-title-is-skyfall-confirms-other-reports/

Here's the press release.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eon-productions-metro-goldwyn-mayer-studios-and-sony-pictures-entertainment-announce-7th-november-is-start-of-production-for-23rd-james-bond-film-skyfall-133144863.html

Oh, apologies. All this talk of October had me mixed up. Thank you for correcting me.. three days later. (:|

Sorry, had been away for a few days.
    Hm, hm, less money for the hardware, all the money is eaten by the people ?
    It is more expensive to shoot on film.
    Maybe the cameras are already taken by some digital production, it's not like there are dozens of these camera in the world it seems. It could be a production that does native 3D etc.
    There is no shortage of digital cameras in the world today. Anyone can go and rent the type of cameras they used on Skfall at any time without any problem. Yes, it is expensive for an average person but it never happens that all the cameras are taken by other productions. The only type of cameras that are rare are the IMAX cameras.
    Hm, hm, less money for the hardware, all the money is eaten by the people ?
    It is more expensive to shoot on film.
    Maybe the cameras are already taken by some digital production, it's not like there are dozens of these camera in the world it seems. It could be a production that does native 3D etc.
    There is no shortage of digital cameras in the world today. Anyone can go and rent the type of cameras they used on Skfall at any time without any problem. Yes, it is expensive for an average person but it never happens that all the cameras are taken by other productions. The only type of cameras that are rare are the IMAX cameras.

Precisely. As Broccoli said, 'Bond opens doors'. If they wanted to shoot digitally, they'd have the cameras they need. It's a very intentional and conscious choice for them to go back to film. Likely a discussion had by Mendes and a new cinematographer, or perhaps a way of luring in a new cinematographer.
    boldfinger wrote:
    I haven´t heard of any production yet that would get preference over the next Bond film like that.
    Well Sony Entertainement as a whole is not so big compared to other studios now, and there are even uncertainties over its future in the very short term. But that was just an hypothesis to show that these are not industries where you take your phone and ask for a digital camera for next week. We're talking about hardware that costs 6 numbers, etc.
    From what I´ve heard so far, productions like James Bond films know how secure their assets. It´s not as if Eon would have to call a week in advance, but more like two years in advance. I mean, they are among the most experienced producers by far. And even if they had to call a week in advance for some reason, I doubt there are a lot of other productions out there that wouldn´t be put on hold meanwhile.

• So if the story of Bond 24 being shot on film is true then I guess a cinematographer has definately been chosen. There are a number of cinematographers who shoot on both formats so it could be anyone. There are a number of cinematographers who only shoot on film and haven't made the transition to digital - so I am wondering if it could be one of those. Also would be interesting to know if Mendes decided to shoot on film instead of digital and this was the decision taken by him. Mendes has stated previously that he would love to work with Robert Richardson. He currently doesn't have anything listed on IMDB. I know Richardson has worked in both formats and I am sure (someone can correct me if I am wrong) that most of his films apart from HUGO have been shot on film. Waiting to hear that Bond 24 will also be shot in 70mm!!!
    So if the story of Bond 24 being shot on film is true then I guess a cinematographer has definately been chosen. There are a number of cinematographers who shoot on both formats so it could be anyone. There are a number of cinematographers who only shoot on film and haven't made the transition to digital - so I am wondering if it could be one of those. Also would be interesting to know if Mendes decided to shoot on film instead of digital and this was the decision taken by him. Mendes has stated previously that he would love to work with Robert Richardson. He currently doesn't have anything listed on IMDB. I know Richardson has worked in both formats and I am sure (someone can correct me if I am wrong) that most of his films apart from HUGO have been shot on film. Waiting to hear that Bond 24 will also be shot in 70mm!!!

I was about to say, that if this is true, perhaps it's a decision that Mendes made as well.

I seem to remember Deakins saying he'd been relucant to shoot SF on digital at the start and that he did a few tests before being convinced.

I personally don't have clue what the difference is. Something I've noticed, which is probably totally unrelated, is that when you watch a film in HD on TV it really loses that 'cinematic' quality. It feels like you're watching TV. Something to do with the sharpness of the images and the amount of detail. I find it really off-putting. Much prefer watching a film on the big screen in the cinema with a slight grainyness.
    Getafix wrote:
    I seem to remember Deakins saying he'd been relucant to shoot SF on digital at the start and that he did a few tests before being convinced.

No, it was the other way around. Mendes was reluctant and Deakins had to convince him. (Deakins shot "In Time" in digital a year before Skyfall and really liked the result.)
    So does that mean Mendes was not quite as happy with the result as everyone else?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Getafix wrote:
    So does that mean Mendes was not quite as happy with the result as everyone else?

No, it means whoever they hired prefers to shoot film.
  • It is more expensive to shoot on film.

Ah, well, in the computer world, there's a little thing called constant upgrading that's verrrry expensive in the end. But you won't hear that from people promoting digital cameras. You will hear lots of complaints about it if you have the opportunity to work on a movie set though !

Well, in case they had decided to go digital, I dont really imagine Bond 24 being shot with a second-hand camera and software from last year.. But if you say anyone can take a phone and rent the kind of camera they use on a blockbuster that will be used by Sony to promote next year's super-high definition display when it's out, then well...

• edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    boldfinger wrote:
    From what I´ve heard so far, productions like James Bond films know how secure their assets.
    And Deakins is the only voice I think who said clearly they had to change plans on several scenes during Skyfall shooting because of unexpected budget cuts (like not shooting on Hashima, not sending the cast to Shanghai), and he's not back :)

Getafix wrote:
    I personally don't have clue what the difference is. Something I've noticed, which is probably totally unrelated, is that when you watch a film in HD on TV it really loses that 'cinematic' quality. It feels like you're watching TV. Something to do with the sharpness of the images and the amount of detail. I find it really off-putting. Much prefer watching a film on the big screen in the cinema with a slight grainyness.
    If it´s to an off-putting degree, I suspect that it has to do with the setting of the tv.
    I doubt it has to do with shooting in digital, but I too sometimes have similar thoughts when I compare dvd and br. Br is definitely sharper, but sometimes a slight grain just looks better for some reason. It´s like sometimes a painting just looks better than a fotograph.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Richardson's work is very distinctive, Oliver Stone's more recent output has definitely lacked his touch as well as most of his films being junk since they parted company.

Both QT and Scorcesse have used him to great effect, I'd definitely be interested to see what he could bring to Bond 24.
    Getafix wrote:
    Something to do with the sharpness of the images and the amount of detail. I find it really off-putting.

Have you ever looked at something on a 4K TV ? It gives the feeling our eyes are already not fooled anymore by HD, 4K brings something else.

Anyhow, as they say, if you want it to look like film, then shot on film. But now, once it's out of the theaters still showing films with film, we can only watch it in a digital format... And most of the new theaters will show it after digital scanning of the film anyway.

Getafix wrote:
    Something to do with the sharpness of the images and the amount of detail. I find it really off-putting.

Have you ever looked at something on a 4K TV ? It gives the feeling our eyes are already not fooled anymore by HD, 4K brings something else.

Anyhow, as they say, if you want it to look like film, then shot on film. But now, once it's out of the theaters still showing films with film, we can only watch it in a digital format... And most of the new theaters will show it after digital scanning of the film anyway.

I read an interview with Tarantino the other day and he said that film as he understands it is dead. He regards digital as 'TV on a big screen'.
    Getafix wrote:
    I read an interview with Tarantino the other day and he said that film as he understands it is dead. He regards digital as 'TV on a big screen'.
    Fair enough, but then again who´s he? That´s just a wild statement to build on his own image. It´s nowhere near reality to claim digital as ´TV on a big screen´.

I don't really care one way or another but it is pretty interesting news to say the least! I'm in support of it. Perhaps a hint at some more "classic edge" to be the tone and vibe of films to come?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I wonder if Mendes is of the view that it would be great to make a period Bond movie. I have to say, I think the day may yet come when they take that approach. I just feel that contemporary technology and ear pieces etc. and mobile phones just takes away so much from Bond's world.

The final act of SF was essentially a period piece. It was heavily contrived and implausible, but basically it's Bond up against the bad guys with no fancy modern technology. And then at the end Mendes brought back M's old office. It's almost a back to the future approach.

Have to say personally I'd love a full on period Bond, set in the Cold War era.

• boldfinger wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Fair enough, but then again who´s he? That´s just a wild statement to build on his own image. It´s nowhere near reality to claim digital as ´TV on a big screen´.

I'm not a fan of this "digital-shaming" that is going on in Hollywood. If you prefer to use film, then that's fine, but it is an expensive medium and in these difficult times, digital enables amateur filmmakers with a limited resources to get their films made affordably. I think that's a victory for the industry, in the big picture.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,601
    But shows, they have money to spend this time ;) Whether or not they spend it wise is another question though. We shall see.
  • If you prefer to use film, then that's fine, but it is an expensive medium and in these difficult times, digital enables amateur filmmakers with a limited resources to get their films made affordably. I think that's a victory for the industry, in the big picture.

But film forces you to prepare, you have to know what you're doing :)
    I read that last year or year before last year at Sundance, the majority of the films shown were digital, but all (=100%, yes) those who received awards were shot on film.

As long as the story, drama, and action is solid? I do not mind what it is filmed in?
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2014 Posts: 10,512
    If you prefer to use film, then that's fine, but it is an expensive medium and in these difficult times, digital enables amateur filmmakers with a limited resources to get their films made affordably. I think that's a victory for the industry, in the big picture.

But film forces you to prepare, you have to know what you're doing :)
    I read that last year or year before last year at Sundance, the majority of the films shown were digital, but all (=100%, yes) those who received awards were shot on film.

That's very true. The flip of that is when Amateurs with a bit of cash to spare, think that shooting 'film' adds an inate quality. If your cinematography and mise en scene isn't up to scratch it's irrelevant what you shoot on. A friend of mine just shot his first feature on 2-Perf 35mm, the same stock McQueen used on Shame. Will it look as good as Shame? I hope so, for his sake, because his budget could have bolstered other areas if he'd shot digital.
    Digital gives you the illusion of cheapness because you can have 1h40 of rushes, or 40 hours or rushes, for almost the same price (the hard drives cost less and less). But if you take into account only what is shown in the end, the computation can be different. And if you actually take into account the price of the computers for the edit.. Masterpieces were edited with scissors and glue. Cut/paste with a mouse to do 400 shots in two minutes is nice for advertising, but for a movie ?!... If you can't shoot what you want in a few takes, there's a problem somewhere, don't expect to solve everything at home :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 14,021
    Getafix wrote:
    I wonder if Mendes is of the view that it would be great to make a period Bond movie. I have to say, I think the day may yet come when they take that approach. I just feel that contemporary technology and ear pieces etc. and mobile phones just takes away so much from Bond's world.

The final act of SF was essentially a period piece. It was heavily contrived and implausible, but basically it's Bond up against the bad guys with no fancy modern technology. And then at the end Mendes brought back M's old office. It's almost a back to the future approach.

Have to say personally I'd love a full on period Bond, set in the Cold War era.
    I love the idea. Some of the cinematography and editing techniques used in CR hark back to 60s films, such as fade transitions during the poker game and fight scene with Obanno.