The Hobbit (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What a terrible title. I, too, saw someone state that 'There And Back Again' would be a good title for a trilogy boxset, which makes sense. It also irks me that 'The Desolation of Smaug' was released a few weeks ago, yet they're working on the extended edition. It seems that they only re-release the film with an extended edition in hopes people will double dip for it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Of course but this has always been the case. The longer edition coming out a year later.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Of course but this has always been the case. The longer edition coming out a year later.

Yes, and like the Lord of the Rings before, it's the only one I will get. Especially since it won't be too expensive, as a DVD set, anyway. Blu-Ray, that's an entirely different thing.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Gerard wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes, and like the Lord of the Rings before, it's the only one I will get. Especially since it won't be too expensive, as a DVD set, anyway. Blu-Ray, that's an entirely different thing.

Me as well, I always get the extended editions. Though the EE for AUJ was not as good as the wonderful, rich EE for the LOTR trilogy it was still better than the theatrical editions. I did get the Blu-ray instead of DVD this time just because I got a good deal but after I received it I got the feeling the DVD edition was nicer :-w
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Sandy wrote:
    It's like re-naming The Two Towers into Battle of Helm's Deep.

I thought about the same thing. I agree.

I just saw that some people are discussing amistake in the new title I hadn't noticed it before, but now I see. In the book there is the Battle of Five Armies, and the new title for the third film is The Battle of The Five Armies. Why The was added I doubt we'll ever know but if they were changing the title why not just stick with the name the author gave to the battle!? It's a small difference but I can see why some people are baffled about it. There's a funny discussion going on about whether to use the acronym TBOTFA for the 3rd film of calling it BoFA (or Bo5A) as Tolkien fans have been calling it for ages :D

P.S.: On a side note it's a bit scary that everyone daring to complain on the internet about the changes is now met with furious comments from people blindingly defending each and every decision made by Jackson :-S I will check theonering.net forum later today to see how people are reacting there.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Sandy wrote:
    I just saw that some people are discussing amistake in the new title I hadn't noticed it before, but now I see. In the book there is the Battle of Five Armies, and the new title for the third film is The Battle of The Five Armies. Why The was added I doubt we'll ever know but if they were changing the title why not just stick with the name the author gave to the battle!? It's a small difference but I can see why some people are baffled about it. There's a funny discussion going on about whether to use the acronym TBOTFA for the 3rd film of calling it BoFA (or Bo5A) as Tolkien fans have been calling it for ages :D

Good observation. I think that the second The could be taken out. We'll see how the title fits under the Hobbit logo. I still think the original title sounds more Tolkien-ish.

Samuel001 wrote:

I know, it's just irritating. I want my 'Hobbit' fix as soon as it's released on blu-ray, so I cave, buy it, and then wish I had the extended edition. Maybe one day I'll trade in what I own and double dip.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I know, it's just irritating. I want my 'Hobbit' fix as soon as it's released on blu-ray, so I cave, buy it, and then wish I had the extended edition. Maybe one day I'll trade in what I own and double dip.
    Well, like this you can watch the films already, and then get the box set carrying the "There and back again" title. Best of both worlds, I´d say. If it wasn´t for paying twice ;-) .

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's why I wait a couple years until each version of the film is cheaper. Six movies for the price of three.
    I don't dive into the LOTR trilogy much (nor 'The Hobbit' trilogy) because I like to tease myself with it and enjoy each trilogy (or will enjoy, once 'The Battle Of The Five Armies' is released) as a nice, sprawling epic, so perhaps the next time I dig back into LOTR, I'll just buy the Extended Trilogy.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm going to wait until they're all out, snag them cheap, and then watch all six Extended Editions, straight through. It will take a damn long time, but it'll be well worth it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This trailer did nothing to me. But then on the other hand, I haven't liked the previous installments in "The Hobbit" saga either.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Why is Pippin's song being played over the trailer? Looked more like a fan edit to me but still, I love these films a great deal and will be there opening day.
    I'm going to wait until they're all out, snag them cheap, and then watch all six Extended Editions, straight through. It will take a damn long time, but it'll be well worth it.

In one sitting? That would be amazing, but I don't think I could handle it. Last time I stayed up for 24 hours, I felt beyond sick and terrible. I'm even having a hard time finding the right time to watch the LOTR Extended Trilogy I have in a row. I might give it a go finally this week. Get me even more pumped for the release of TBOTFA in December. I hope the extended trilogy for 'The Hobbit' is out in 2015, then.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Why is Pippin's song being played over the trailer? Looked more like a fan edit to me but still, I love these films a great deal and will be there opening day.

I guess the filmmakers wants us to think that the upcoming film will be in the vein of ROTK and thus subconsciously connecting them.

And in the world of this story Bilbo is the one who wrote that song about his adventures so I guess it's fitting.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Screentime of 3th Hobbit movie is 170 minutes, 1 minuut longer then first movie. Also it be confirmd in The Netherlands the movie get 16+ rank (The Dutch R-rank).

https://www.pathe.nl/film/16880/the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,619
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Screentime of 3th Hobbit movie is 170 minutes, 1 minuut longer then first movie. Also it be confirmd in The Netherlands the movie get 16+ rank (The Dutch R-rank).

It's pretty much impossible that anyone in netherlands has seen the movie already, which means the "16+" rating is just a prediction on their part. Also, the movie is 156 minutes long and not 170.
    M_Balje wrote: »

It's pretty much impossible that anyone in Netherlands has seen the movie already, which means the "16+" rating is just a prediction on their part. Also, the movie is 156 minutes long and not 170.

Dutch cinematic rating have been stupid before and when they keep the 16+ rating I know quite a lot of folks who will go to Belgium with their kids and watch the movie there after the 3rd of December.
    Here's the trailer

It looks great but I'm trying to keep my expectations low after the disgrace that was DoS. AND I still hate the name change for the 3rd film.
  • What did you think of the first Hobbit film, @Sandy? Personally, I think Desolation of Smaug was a considerable improvement upon the first, which I really did not like at all. So my hopes for the third one are a bit higher than they might otherwise be.
    First of all, The Hobbit is one of my favourite books. I have been following the development of the films with a lot of interest. There are some good things. For example Martin Freeman is the most perfect piece of casting someone could have made! I have been championing him for Bilbo since... well, for many many years. The LOTR trilogy had a lot of problems but the soul of the books somehow remained intact. I don't think that is happening with The Hobbit trilogy. Somewhere along the way someone must have said "this is not interesting enough, let's make a big action movie". The second film really did a bad service to the original story and is full of things that make no sense at all (trying to kill a dragon with molten gold, reeeaaaally?). Ultimately, these films have become less and less about the titular character, what was done in DoS with the most incredible part of the story, involving Bilbo and Smaug, was unforgivable. I will still watch it as soon as it comes out and buy the extended editions just as I've been doing since the FoTR came out. I can only hope that this film returns somehow to the original course of events.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first two bored me, but I may have to watch this.
    Just watched it! :D Roll on next month, as i really can't wait! \:D/
  • Sandy wrote: »
    First of all, The Hobbit is one of my favourite books. I have been following the development of the films with a lot of interest. There are some good things. For example Martin Freeman is the most perfect piece of casting someone could have made! I have been championing him for Bilbo since... well, for many many years. The LOTR trilogy had a lot of problems but the soul of the books somehow remained intact. I don't think that is happening with The Hobbit trilogy. Somewhere along the way someone must have said "this is not interesting enough, let's make a big action movie". The second film really did a bad service to the original story and is full of things that make no sense at all (trying to kill a dragon with molten gold, reeeaaaally?). Ultimately, these films have become less and less about the titular character, what was done in DoS with the most incredible part of the story, involving Bilbo and Smaug, was unforgivable. I will still watch it as soon as it comes out and buy the extended editions just as I've been doing since the FoTR came out. I can only hope that this film returns somehow to the original course of events.

It's been a long time since I've read the book so I didn't notice anything amiss with the Bilbo/Smaug conversation. But I agree entirely with your assessment of the Hobbit films. They've been bloated unnecessarily large and stuffed full of filler action sequences that go on and on seemingly without purpose or end. For some reason this bothered me less with the second one, but they're both guilty of it. This trilogy is nowhere near on par with the LOTR films, but what I enjoyed more with TDOS was that it felt darker and more mature than AUJ (whether or not that's in keeping with the tone of the book). I hope the final film follows along that route and delivers some spectacular battle sequences.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Apparently there's a 45 minute battle scene.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Apparently there's a 45 minute battle scene.

Sounds good.
    I seem to remember a 45 minutes walking scene in the first, and a 45 minutes talking scene in the second.
    Amazon has samples of the soundtrack: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Original-Picture-Soundtrack-Special/dp/B00PBEN6P6/ref=sr_1_4?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1415354154&sr=1-4&keywords=The+Hobbit

I'm always amazed at the incredile work Howard Shore has done with these films. He manages to keep a conducting thread without ever repeating himself. What a great composer. These soundtracks are so much more than that, they are a master piece by a master composer.
    That final trailer somehow has me even more excited. Bring on December, when 'The Hateful Eight' and B24 start shooting, alongside the release of the final film in this trilogy. I cannot wait.