The Hobbit (2012 - 2014)

Comments

I think the best way to stay focused on the film is to see it in the cinema.

@Agent007391 and @Creasy47, I find it also highly recommendable to spend a week or so in middle earth by watching one half film each day. That way you avoid getting overfed like from a one-day-session, and you can enjoy the aftertaste every day all day long.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sneak peek at the soundtrack for The Desolation of Smaug. Reminds me of The Two Towers, somehow.

Also, I've bought the EE of AUJ and already watched it. Not many scenes added, some very good, some of doubtful quality. I'm now watching the Appendixes, there are a lot of references to Bond at some point. In case you don't know Jackson is a big Bond fan (has a collection of original posters for every film in his office) and seems to take every opportunity to show it. Interest in directing one, perhaps?
    Thanks, @Sandy! I had been wondering what additionals might be on the EE.

Jackson for Bond? That´s interesting. Despite having mixed feelings about Jackson´s oevre on the whole (some outstanding, some mediocre), I was thinking when I saw AUJ at the cinema that I wouldn´t mind Bond being influenced at least by the colour schemes.
    @boldfinger unfortunately there new EE don't come with the booklet that the old ones had with the name of the scenes and a note saying if they were EE or theatrical so I had to rely on my memory. There is more singing, which I liked because it's in line with the book, more of the dwarves in Rivendell including a scene I think is mostly useless
    the dwarves having a bath in a fountain
    Also, one of my favourite lines from LOTR books in included. There are several more flashback including
    Old Took party, with Bilbo as a child looking at Gandalf's fireworks
    and
    more Thranduil and an explanation, not very convincing, of why elves (Greewood/Mirkwood ones) and dwarves don't get along too well
    Any excuse to show more Thranduil is justified for me, the Elvenking is one of my favourite characters from the book and I think it was brilliantly cast for the films.

About Jackson and Bond, yes he had his ups and downs but he's such a passionate director that I think it just might work. Besides, he seems to have gotten along pretty well with Craig during Tintin. I read somewhere (might have been in the Originals thread) that Barbara Broccoli considered him for directing a Bond when she saw Heavenly Creatures but then changed her mind when she saw (I think) Braindead. So, who knows?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    You're right, Jackson was thought of for directing The World Is Not Enough but it wasn't to be.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    I think Babs changed her mind when she watched The Frighteners. Wasn't impressed apparently.
    He owns the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car, showed up one day for work driving it... I'm impressed.
    I just finished watching the first half of the appendixes for AUJ. As always, it's amazing watching them and I wish there was someone doing the same thing for the Bond films.
    I think Babs changed her mind when she watched The Frighteners. Wasn't impressed apparently.

That was a very good movie, so I am not quite sure what her problem is.

Jackson would probably write his own script as well which would be interesting, and we'd probably see 007 down under and in New Zealand.

However I prefer Jackson first on an episode of DW.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited November 2013 Posts: 2,044

If Jackson would've directed TWINE it's possible that we would never have gotten the LOTR trilogy as we now know them. So in a way, it was lucky he never made TWINE.
    Sandy wrote:
    He owns the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car, showed up one day for work driving it... I'm impressed.
    Yes, that is a very tasteful thing to do indeed.

Thanks @Sandy for sharing your research ;-). It´s a pity if the extended parts are not described in the booklet, makes comparing the versions quite a task at that overall length of the film.

Sandy wrote:
    I read somewhere (might have been in the Originals thread) that Barbara Broccoli considered him for directing a Bond when she saw Heavenly Creatures but then changed her mind when she saw (I think) Braindead. So, who knows?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    You're right, Jackson was thought of for directing The World Is Not Enough but it wasn't to be.
    Well I couldn´t possibly imagine that Babs still would have something against him after TLOTR ;-).

Liked the movie a lot, recently got the EE and watched it. It didn't make much of a difference to me thought the movie was still mostly the same. I liked the goblin king's new song. Its only 12 or 13 mins long than the original movie and most of the additions were inconsequential.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fox Searchlight is planning a J.R.R Tolkien biopic:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111673
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,350
    For the biggest possible impact, they'd need to get it out a year from now when the final film is released. Can they do it? I vote, no. In the right hands though, this could be a good film and that is all that matters in the end.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I have got the tickets for the premiere on 10th December! I am very anxious to see it!
    The film will be 2 hours, 41 minutes, the shortest of the five yet. The Hobbit in total should come in at around eight hours.

Enjoy the premiere @MrBond.
    Just listening to the new soundtrack, and I like it.
    It looks fantastic and will no doubt look even better in the film itself.
    Over thirty new images from the film:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111973
    Thanks @Creasy47!

And here is some footage of the premiere last night:

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    It's just a week now, the wait is starting to get painful!
    The reviews are coming in and to critics this film is more on par with the first three:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_the_desolation_of_smaug
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The reviews are coming in and to critics this film is more on par with the first three:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_the_desolation_of_smaug

Yes, I've been checking them. However apparently the story has been absolutely butchered this time from what I've heard. I'm even afraid of what I'm going to find in it.
    I'm not sure if anyone considers this a spoiler, but did anyone hear that a big fan of the LOTR series is going to have a cameo in the film? It's:
    Stephen Colbert
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure if anyone considers this a spoiler, but did anyone hear that a big fan of the LOTR series is going to have a cameo in the film? It's:
    Stephen Colbert

Yup, along with his family.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The reviews I have read were very good. I want to try to see this one in the theatre. I found the first one a bit boring at times, actually. Looking forward to this one, though.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Tomorrow night is the night, one year's of wait has soon come to it's end!
    MrBond wrote:

Have fun

@MrBond, enjoy! I'm seeing this the first chance I get in theaters. Trading in a bunch of blu-rays in a week, so I might go ahead and just pre-order it on blu-ray, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    MrBond wrote:

Yeah, but then another year full of waiting will commence until the final part is released.