The Hobbit (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:
    Tomorrow night is the night, one year's of wait has soon come to it's end!

Yeah, but then another year full of waiting will commence until the final part is released.

Hopefully this movie will be worth the wait, and if so then the next movie also going to be worth it!

You know, a thought occurred to me :

It's only a matter of time until we see fan videos of the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug being played with dubs from Sherlock.

And vice versa, of course.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gerard wrote:
    You know, a thought occurred to me :

It's only a matter of time until we see fan videos of the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug being played with dubs from Sherlock.

And vice versa, of course.

It dawned on me about a week ago that they're allies in 'Sherlock' and enemies in 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.' I can't wait.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I came home from the premiere that was last night with a good feeling. It was more serious and was more in line with the LOTR-trilogy. So it was quite removed from the first Hobbit in that sense.
    Because of it's shorter running time, more things happens in a shorter span of time and the movie is overall more intense. There isn't much time to breath before new things happens and new characters get's introduced (all of which works well).
    All the actors are great as usual, with the brilliant Freeman as Bilbo it can't go wrong. Cumberbatch was also splendid in his both two roles, even though i wouldn't know it was him if i didn't know it before. A small dissapointment is my fellow country-man Mikael Persbrandts role as Beorn, he wasn't in the film as much as the media here had made us belive. Oh, well he will return in the next film!
    The CGI was unbelivably good, and that come's from someone who doesen't like overuse of CGI in movies.

The problem with the film is the editing, things just happens. Some things get's left out to carry on the story. And i can't get a sense of whom the story centers around because it's so much intercutting between the characters. I can't really relate to these characters in the same way as i did to The Fellowship in the LOTR-trilogy.
    The editing is particulary evident in the climax of the film.

But the small references to the LOTR-trilogy is just great (especially one with Legolas) and it is a great buil-up to the last part and eventually to LOTR. The film ends with a huge cliffhanger that leaves me waiting for more.

Desolation of Smaug: 8/10
    An Unexpected Journey: 7/10
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm sad to hear that Beorn is not a prominent character, although I had heard about it before @MrBond. Beorn is one of the most beloved characters in the book, the fact that his character is relegated to a very short section is obviously disappointing to everyone. And there is a crucial scene in the book with him that was completely changed for the film from what I know.
    It is interesting that you say that you can't have a sense of whom the story centers around, because that is one of the main complaints I have with Jackson's work in The Hobbit. The book centered around, obviously, Bilbo Baggins, it's his journey after all! Other characters, except maybe Smaug, are somewhat bystanders to his adventure. I heard some disturbing reports by fellow ringers that a large portion of the interaction between Bilbo and Smaug was changed. Originally only Bilbo and Smaug in a game of wits, no intervention by anyone else. All this need of having everyone doing something heroic only results in dilution of the story, in my opinion.
    Obviously I'm still looking forward to see it! But I'm keeping by Tolkien-fan expectations at an all time low.
    So what's your main complaints with the editing, are there fast-cut action sequences? That's a big deal breaker for me.
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm sad to hear that Beorn is not a prominent character, although I had heard about it before @MrBond. Beorn is one of the most beloved characters in the book, the fact that his character is relegated to a very short section is obviously disappointing to everyone. And there is a crucial scene in the book with him that was completely changed for the film from what I know.
    It is interesting that you say that you can't have a sense of whom the story centers around, because that is one of the main complaints I have with Jackson's work in The Hobbit. The book centered around, obviously, Bilbo Baggins, it's his journey after all! Other characters, except maybe Smaug, are somewhat bystanders to his adventure. I heard some disturbing reports by fellow ringers that a large portion of the interaction between Bilbo and Smaug was changed. Originally only Bilbo and Smaug in a game of wits, no intervention by anyone else. All this need of having everyone doing something heroic only results in dilution of the story, in my opinion.
    Obviously I'm still looking forward to see it! But I'm keeping by Tolkien-fan expectations at an all time low.
    My, I´m so happy I haven´t read any of the books ;-) !

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote:
    So what's your main complaints with the editing, are there fast-cut action sequences? That's a big deal breaker for me.

Yes, but if you are accustomed to regular films today it won't be a issue. There isn't cutting alá Paul Greengrass, even though it's quite fast.
    The issue with the editing is that the film focuses on too many things on a short span of time, it isn't as smooth as it were in the LOTR trilogy were all stories blended into eachother nicely. It were just too much that were going on and that's were the editing fails from time to time.
    When I think of terrible editing, the main film that comes to mind is 'Taken 2.'
  • Ouch, very disappointed... Imagine the Moria scene for 2 hours.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Imagine the Moria scene for 2 hours.

I can, it's called play the game The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, except you get the crappy characters from that game to play as instead of the Fellowship, meaning it's a lot worse.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is not part 3 coming out in the summer of next year?
    @Sandy, did you also felt cheated when there wasn't Tom Bombadil in LOTR?
    Is not part 3 coming out in the summer of next year?

It was going to be, but it'll release on December 17th, 2014 now.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't understand why it wasn't originally scheduled for December of 2014. December is just the month for Middle-Earth. It works so well.
    I don't understand why it wasn't originally scheduled for December of 2014. December is just the month for Middle-Earth. It works so well.

I guess it was an idea to cash in on the summer box-office, but the films do well enough in December so I wouldn't see the point in it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Decimalisation Of Smaug:

That was absolutely hilarious :-)) .

I wonder why I was reminded of James Bond talking to Auric Goldfinger...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    0013 wrote:

Absolutely @113, though I understand it would require a lot more time. There are worse offenders in the franchise, I'm afraid. For example: Sam not putting on the One, no Gil Galad taking Frodo to Rivendell (or no Gil Galad at all), no Elladan and Elrohir (Elrond's twin sons), no grey company, forgetting about the 18 years that passed between the time Bilbo left Bag End and the time Frodo takes the ring out of the Shire, no Andúril forged from the start, no scouring of the Shire... I could go on forever. However, somehow, the LOTR film trilogy kept the spirit of the books intact.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The Decimalisation Of Smaug:

Coming Soon to a GCSE curriculum near you!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    lol that Kermode is hilarious.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not a purist because I do enjoy these films for what they are. The LOTR trilogy is brilliant and I enjoyed the hobbit. I'm really looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.
    I love the books and I love the movies.
    Sandy wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Absolutely @113, though I understand it would require a lot more time. There are worse offenders in the franchise, I'm afraid. For example: Sam not putting on the One, no Gil Galad taking Frodo to Rivendell (or no Gil Galad at all), no Elladan and Elrohir (Elrond's twin sons), no grey company, forgetting about the 18 years that passed between the time Bilbo left Bag End and the time Frodo takes the ring out of the Shire, no Andúril forged from the start, no scouring of the Shire... I could go on forever. However, somehow, the LOTR film trilogy kept the spirit of the books intact.

Sam don't looking through Galadriel's mirror!

To tell you the truth, for me the things they add are worse than the ones they don't include. For example, Elves helping on Helm's Deep Battle, Aragorn seeming to be dead, Ents not wanting to fight at first.

One of the things that annoys me most is the take on Faramir. In the book he was so noble from the start, like Ulysses, with the proper amount of arete. But of course, it's more dramatic if he changes after some speech with a montage...

'The Desolation of SmaWg'? I've been pronouncing it like 'smog' this whole time. Better late than never, I suppose.
    I like "Smog" better, but...
    Same here, I think 'Smawg' sounds cheesy. Oh well.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'The Desolation of SmaWg'? I've been pronouncing it like 'smog' this whole time. Better late than never, I suppose.
    But he was called that already at the beginning of AUJ? Haven´t you seen that last year?
    Well, if I got it right the dwarves
    are also asking themselves why on earth the name is pronounced like that.

Anyway, back from the cinema: I haven´t read any of the books, yet I´m not sure what to think of this. If you enjoyed the first one you´re gonna love this. I got the impression that this whole Hobbit story is by far less complex than LOTR, yet the film doesn´t acknowledge that fact.
    Like in AUJ, there are moments that seem more like a re-hash of than a nod to LOTR. There are great moments too.

@boldfinger, I did, I just don't recall it being pronounced that way. Not even sure where I got 'Smog' from, I guess it's just how I said it once and I went from there.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @boldfinger, I did, I just don't recall it being pronounced that way. Not even sure where I got 'Smog' from, I guess it's just how I said it once and I went from there.
    Perhaps you got it from the way it´s written ;-)?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, I for one enjoyed AUJ and DoS looks very good. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a fun time when watching it.