The Hobbit (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    0013 wrote:
    It looks good, except for what I fear will be
    a lame love story between Legolas and that girl
    (which of course, isn't from the novel).

From what I heard that is not the case @0013, in fact some reports are far scarier than that.

Those who watched the event live in a theatre had the chance of watching 20 min new footage. There is a description on The One Ring, but be ware it is spoilery stuff.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love Jackson's films on Tolkien's books. They're great escapist, fantastical adventures that really provide satisfying entertainment. The LOTR trilogy is brilliant and I have no qualms or issues with the hobbit as I enjoyed the film thoroughly. I'm really looking toward to the next adventure and it helps that these movies are winter releases; really puts me in that special mood.
    Of course LOTR (which is not really a trilogy, it's a three part movie) is brillaint. The things that I'm not really keen about are the major departures from the book, not only because of being "purist" but because I don't think they add anything substantially good. For example:
    - Elves arriving at the Battle of Helm's Deep
    - Aragorn believed to be death for a while
    - the ghosts helping to clean out orcs at Minas Tirith

Also, some of the distances between Mordor and the surroundings seems shorter than they should be.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    0013 wrote:
    LOTR (which is not really a trilogy, it's a three part movie)

The same can be said of The Hobbit, though it's more like a two part movie and an interlude between that and LOTR.
    0013 wrote:
    The things that I'm not really keen about are the major departures from the book, not only because of being "purist" but because I don't think they add anything substantially good. For example:
    - Elves arriving at the Battle of Helm's Deep
    - Aragorn believed to be death for a while
    - the ghosts helping to clean out orcs at Minas Tirith

Also, some of the distances between Mordor and the surroundings seems shorter than they should be.

- I like the Elves arriving at Helm's Deep simply because I like that lead Elf (who's name escapes me). I wish he was more of a main character, because his actor was awesome in Legend of the Seeker.
    - That was pretty much just tacked in to have somebody see how many Uruks are coming (I seriously expected someone to say "The Uruks are coming! The Uruks are coming!" while pointing out a lantern in a bell tower).
    - The Army of the Dead in general was just useless. Peter Jackson didn't even want to include them. Though it did start out with that cool scene of Aragorn and co. jumping out of the boat seemingly to attack a group of Orcs single-handedly.

I chalk up the distances to trying to cut down the timeline a little. In the book didn't it take months for Frodo and Sam to get to Mordor? I get why they'd want to reduce some of that time.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,817
    0013 wrote:
    LOTR (which is not really a trilogy, it's a three part movie)

The same can be said of The Hobbit, though it's more like a two part movie and an interlude between that and LOTR.

Of course. I'll never say The Hobbit is a trilogy. The thing is that Tolkien himself complain against people who regard LOTR as a three part book.
    Though it did start out with that cool scene of Aragorn and co. jumping out of the boat seemingly to attack a group of Orcs single-handedly.

Yes, I like that scene too!
    I feel that Two Towers was the more modified of the three. But, for example, the speech of Galadriel in which she summs up the story was much needed and it doesn't bothers me as it doesn't change the story. But the thing with the Ents about not going to war until they see Isengard and the ruin around it wasn't necessary, in my opinion.
    One difference between novel and movie that I like is the fact that Elrond gives Andúril in Return of the King. It gives it more impact and importance to Aragorn claiming the title and "becoming who you were born to be".
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    0013 wrote:
    One difference between novel and movie that I like is the fact that Elrond gives Andúril in Return of the King. It gives it more impact and importance to Aragorn claiming the title and "becoming who you were born to be".

I just always felt, in my American way, that that was pretty much Elrond going to Aragorn and saying "Look, if you're so damn insistent on marrying my daughter, then I want my son-in-law to have the best chance he can, here's your ancestor's sword."
    0013 wrote:

I just always felt, in my American way, that that was pretty much Elrond going to Aragorn and saying "Look, if you're so damn insistent on marrying my daughter, then I want my son-in-law to have the best chance he can, here's your ancestor's sword."

That's seems about right. I wonder if, as both Arwen and Aragon could claim immense treasures, they signed a prenup...
    You'd have to wonder how, if they got divorced, custody of their kid would work. That's an awful damn long trip to take going back and forth between the kingdoms of Elves and Men.
    Will watch the new trailer later as i am pushed for time. Feedback sounds good though and it is a film that i will definately be going to see! :-bd
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You'd have to wonder how, if they got divorced, custody of their kid would work. That's an awful damn long trip to take going back and forth between the kingdoms of Elves and Men.

That's a curious thought. I say abandon the child and avoid such a trip every weekend.

@RogueAgent, I've heard little nitpicks from the trailers, but all in all, things are shaping up to be really good.
    /\ we are doing a group visit upon release which is going to be alot of fun as we all love these movies! Roll on next month!!! \:D/
    RogueAgent wrote:
    /\ we are doing a group visit upon release which is going to be alot of fun as we all love these movies! Roll on next month!!! \:D/

Sounds quite nice! I'll probably watch the blu-ray the night before/the day of the film's release (if I go to see it then), unless they have some cheap tickets to see the first and then the second. I've always wanted to do that, just not sure if I have the energy to stick around a movie theater for roughly six hours.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Sounds quite nice! I'll probably watch the blu-ray the night before/the day of the film's release (if I go to see it then), unless they have some cheap tickets to see the first and then the second. I've always wanted to do that, just not sure if I have the energy to stick around a movie theater for roughly six hours.

:-)) That would certainly take some committment my friend! I would like to attempt a cinema Bond marathon with fellow fans but i know what my boss would say to that idea! :-q :))
    0013 wrote:

I take you never read the books @Agent00739 so let me tell you you're not far from the truth. Elrond thought his daughter was not worthy of any man except the King of Arnor and Gondor. Aragorn was the heir to the throne but he is not the king so everything he does from that moment on is thinking of becoming the king or die trying. I found a transcript of the Tale of Arwen and Aragorn online (it's one of the Appendixes of LOTR), it is well worth reading.

I would have prefered that they would have kept most things unaltered and Aragorn having his sword from the start was one of them.
    Sandy wrote:
    0013 wrote:

I take you never read the books @Agent00739 so let me tell you you're not far from the truth. Elrond thought his daughter was not worthy of any man except the King of Arnor and Gondor. Aragorn was the heir to the throne but he is not the king so everything he does from that moment on is thinking of becoming the king or die trying.

I can't say I've finished the book (The Hobbit, yes, Fellowship, yes, bits and piece of The Silmarillion, and "Book III" in The Two Towers), but no, the entire thing has escaped me, and I have, like, three copies of each.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

:-)) That would certainly take some committment my friend! I would like to attempt a cinema Bond marathon with fellow fans but i know what my boss would say to that idea! :-q :))
    Well, one has to set priorities in life. I once watched the extended version of LOTR in its entirety. If we hadn´t wasted one entire morning with strategy games I anyhow didn´t know sh** about and constantly lost, we would have made it in one day.
    I know that they had the LOTR trilogy play when 'Return of the King' was released in theaters. That's, what, a good ten hours, maximum?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I know that they had the LOTR trilogy play when 'Return of the King' was released in theaters. That's, what, a good ten hours, maximum?

I have the extended editions, I think they are much superior to the theatrical releases. I have watched them many times and last year I unfortunately couldn't make it to a marathon in my local theater to watch them in a straight row. I would say more than 10 hours but I have to confirm.
    @Sandy, I bought the steelbooks, I couldn't pass them up. Wish I went with the extended editions instead.
    I watched the Extended Editions (not in theaters) all in one day, and damn, twelve hours is more accurate.
    I watched the Extended Editions (not in theaters) all in one day, and damn, twelve hours is more accurate.

Really?? That's insane. Congratulations to you for managing such a feat. At least it's a great way to spend a free day, though.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,767
    I think the extended one were something like 11 hours. Good to take one or two breaks in between to do some workout or such ;-) .
    But I prefer the theatrical version for its slickness. True, the extended version offers a lot of things one could argue are missing from the theatrical version, but the arc of tension in the theatrical version is exemplary.
    I guess one could easily watch the extended version like a tv series, one or two hours a day, and it would also be fantastic.
    Yeah, I've kicked myself for going with the steelbooks instead of the extended editions, but with how lengthy they are, I'd be worried I would tire of them and never get around to watching them.
    If you watch them just one (or one half of each) per day, you'll be fine. After doing it myself (and attempting, but failing to do it again many times since) I only suggest watching the whole Extended trilogy in a single day for someone who actually has the time. I don't have a job right now, and it's tough for me to watch them all the way through any more.
    @Agent007391, I'm in the same boat as you, and that's probably the best time to sit through them. I've been looking at my blu-rays lately and want to pull off a really good marathon in one day, like Craig's Bond films, the five 'Die Hard' films, maybe Nolan's Batman trilogy, something.
    Hilariously, I've never watched all of any of those in one day. I've marathoned the Star Wars Saga, LOTR, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Lethal Weapon, my personal Superman trilogy (Sup 1, 2 Richard Donner Cut, Returns), Mission Impossible... the list goes on.
    How was the Lethal Weapon marathon? Would love to try that, though I only have the first film on blu-ray.
    It was great, but... y'know... sometimes you just feel too old for that sh*t.
    It was great, but... y'know... sometimes you just feel too old for that sh*t.

"You wanna see crazy?"

Great films.

Anyway, what is everyone's plan for this film? Trying to look for a double feature at a theater, watching the DVD/blu-ray at home, skipping the movie entirely?
    I'm likely just going to wait for the DVD. An Unexpected Journey disappointed me, and I honestly feel that I'm not going to respect any part of this trilogy until I see the whole thing.