The Official Halloween thread

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 4,813
    LOL this actually gives me a great idea for a Thunderball costume =D>

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/gs9u4wm_wuat1ualxf4ahg2.gif?w=299
  • LOL this actually gives me a great idea for a Thunderball costume =D>

LOL, that is hysterical!!!

This Halloween I'll probably have a horror movie marathon. I've really been into slashers lately, so maybe I'll do all of the "originals" (the first Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.)

Unfortunately, Halloween was ruined last year by a freak October snowstorm that left me without power until early November. So, I am definitely looking forward to Halloween this year. It's my favorite holiday.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jackdagger wrote:

LOL, that is hysterical!!!

This Halloween I'll probably have a horror movie marathon. I've really been into slashers lately, so maybe I'll do all of the "originals" (the first Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.)

Unfortunately, Halloween was ruined last year by a freak October snowstorm that left me without power until early November. So, I am definitely looking forward to Halloween this year. It's my favorite holiday.

Will Solange be doing the rounds around town? ;)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 503
    I hate Halloween. A bunch of pagan mythology that was actually spiritually frightening to them a thousand years ago, all secularized and commercialized in a cringeworthy annual excuse for girls to dress slutty and for adults to get drunk. I liked it as a kid though, and still think kids should celebrate it as a sort of "Kids Fun Day".

But adults? Come on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond wrote:
    I hate Halloween. A bunch of pagan mythology that was actually spiritually frightening to them a thousand years ago, all secularized and commercialized in a cringeworthy annual excuse for girls to dress slutty and for adults to get drunk. I liked it as a kid though, and still think kids should celebrate it as a sort of "Kids Fun Day".

But adults? Come on.

Sadly, that is how most adults treat every holiday. Christmas? Go to the annual office party, spike the Eggnog, and sleep with a member of the staff that you don't know from Sally somebody that does file work on floor 1. Memorial Day? Bring in the keg so we can actually get so drunk that we forget what we are drinking to, because most people have never actually seen combat worse than a fender bender in the Wal-Mart parking lot, and wouldn't understand the ruin war causes not only physically and mentally. Even I don't. Fourth of July? Oh, this is a pain in the arse. Let's let that American flag fly free high up on its pole while we get hammered like nails at a constructionists convention. We will shoot off firework and compete in beer pong until we pass out, but will never once think about what it is we are celebrating. The creation of a document that without it we could still be at the hands of others like George III down the line. Many don't realize that if the Declaration would have failed to be signed by Congress and the Brits would the Revolutionary War, every person that signed the document would have been hung for treason. But whatever. Things will never change in that regard. I wonder what the Fourth of July was like during Prohibition? Must have been nice...
  • Jesus people sure are opinionated - why even click this link if you hate Halloween? Just to come in and tell us how much we suck?

From here on, no bashers please
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jesus people sure are opinionated - why even click this link if you hate Halloween? Just to come in and tell us how much we suck?

From here on, no bashers please

As much as you love or despise Halloween, it's still an opinion. Granted, I don't understand why someone would enter a topic they hate, but they still have the right to voice their thoughts.
  • Will Solange be doing the rounds around town? ;)

No, I think I'd be just a *little* cold in that. :P If I dress up I'll probably wear a (female) Freddy Krueger outfit I made last year.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm going to be a S.T.A.R.S. Member from the Resident Evil series. An original character of course but A stars member! :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,982
    Wow, it took me a second to realize what's happening- but that is awesome. Who thinks of that?

From what I know, Halloween's not as popular here in Australia. I remember once when I was 11 or 12, some friends and I dressed up (I went as Dracula) and we walked around the town trick or treating. The majority of people who opened the door were surprised to see us. Needless to say we didn't get much candy. :(
    Little teaser for ya- it's a WIP so try to imagine the big picture
    My girlfriend went out for the evening so I decided to try on my suit =)) If she only knew my double identity!!!

Going for more of a 'New 52'/ 'Earth One' look this time around.

41606_223332425855_7032737_n.jpg

I will have a black balaclava under my mask (just hasn't arrived yet) so you won't actually be seeing my earlobes sticking out of the bottom, lol.

balaclava_hat.jpg

The reason it's in two pieces is so I can have complete neck movement (unlike say... Michael Keaton, who had to turn his whole body to look around)

I do have gloves and boots already but this was just a test run (to see if the gym was paying off :P )
    Still need to put a bat on my chest somehow- haven't decided how yet....

The belt is my favorite part now! It's the same tan one I used previously but I dyed it. It looks black in the photo but it's actually more of a dark and dingy look-- like it had been used for years, which is what I was going for

DSC_0343.jpg
    Little teaser for ya- it's a WIP so try to imagine the big picture
    My girlfriend went out for the evening so I decided to try on my suit =)) If she only knew my double identity!!!

Going for more of a 'New 52'/ 'Earth One' look this time around.

41606_223332425855_7032737_n.jpg

I will have a black balaclava under my mask (just hasn't arrived yet) so you won't actually be seeing my earlobes sticking out of the bottom, lol.

balaclava_hat.jpg

The reason it's in two pieces is so I can have complete neck movement (unlike say... Michael Keaton, who had to turn his whole body to look around)

I do have gloves and boots already but this was just a test run (to see if the gym was paying off :P )
    Still need to put a bat on my chest somehow- haven't decided how yet....

The belt is my favorite part now! It's the same tan one I used previously but I dyed it. It looks black in the photo but it's actually more of a dark and dingy look-- like it had been used for years, which is what I was going for

DSC_0343.jpg

Cool stuff @Master_Dahark. :)
  • jackdagger wrote:
    Will Solange be doing the rounds around town? ;)

No, I think I'd be just a *little* cold in that. :P If I dress up I'll probably wear a (female) Freddy Krueger outfit I made last year.

Well, I dressed as "the man that your man could smell like" two Halloweens ago and then as Borat (in the mankini) last Halloween - and it was fairly chilly in Toronto on Oct 31st!

Won first prize for Borat :-D

Lots of Friday the 13th movies have been added to Netflix-- getting in the holiday spirit now! \:D/
    Well, I dressed as "the man that your man could smell like" two Halloweens ago and then as Borat (in the mankini) last Halloween - and it was fairly chilly in Toronto on Oct 31st!

Won first prize for Borat :-D
    @thelordflasheart PICS ;)
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Broadening this thread a bit.

Now it's Halloween in general; not just this year. Let's hear past years, traditions, good scary movies to try, etc!

Last Halloween I threw a low-key party at my place; bought some blood red vodka called 'Vampyre' and played Rob Zombie's Halloween and Friday the 13th (remake) on the big screen in the background.

This was me last year:

(so much fun making this from scratch)
    382949_735629959881_1963975718_n.jpg

The year before- also had the real leather jacket but it was hot in there #:-S :
    363_527429190891_8831_n.jpg

Last year I was Super Mario (Blending the Movie version with the Game Version.)
    And I photoshopped my friend to Be Luigi so I could make a cool poster. :)
    400068_316692268368731_371470329_n.jpg
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I just posted this entry in another thread, but I am hoping to stir up some great horror film conversation here with some other fans:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is horrific, if anyone has seen it, they will know what I mean. As for TV, nothing could be more disgusting then watching tanned 5 year old girls dressed in regal dresses and tiaras by their idiot parents, no less, starting on their path to be a life-long spoiled brat.

And Psycho is super scary. There is just something about
    Norman running with a smile and knife in hand that sends shivers up my spine. That wig and dress are simply frightening, no lies.
    I love that film though, so I do not mean to include it with any repulsive material. Hitchcock did a very hard thing by making it horror, but horror that isn't overly gory or tasteless. The master of suspense indeed.

Another great film for the scary sort is Halloween, possibly my favorite horror film. I spend the time around halloween rewatching the films whenever they are on, usually on AMC. There is a great spark that comes from these films. The original was so real, and didn't have all the corny crap you find in films today. It seemed more real than ever. And scenes with Laurie staring out her window and seeing Michael, then looking away and in a flash he is gone is the kind of stuff that made me a very paranoid little boy. Michael is king. He was the one who made series like Friday the 13th and Elm Street possible because he brought back the horror film and set some standards for the genre. The teenagers all being picked off, the silent yet frightening man with a weapon, the whole "is he dead, or not" argument, and that great musical accompaniment to the killing, and so many more. Halloween as a series just has more to offer than Jason or Freddy. There are times where you feel sympathy for the guy, like when he meets Laurie time and time again. You just get a sense that there is a soul behind the mask and the killing, unlike for Jason and Freddy who come off as very one-dimensional. And Loomis is not only one of horror's greatest characters, but one of the greatest characters ever! The man is an absolute thrill to watch, even without a white cat . And what I love about Halloween is there is a long continuation between films. We get some stuff with Laurie and Loomis, and then Michael's niece, and at the end of it all it comes full circle. Great, great series, and that annual time for a marathon is fast approaching!

I also love the Scream films, though I haven't seen all of 4 and will pretend it never happened as I can see how stupid it was. I was first introduced to the films when I was around 8 or 9. I went over to a friend's house and he popped in all the films, one by one. My little mind didn't even know what was coming. For hours and hours I saw horrific stabbing after horrific stabbing, another teenage life torn away without warning. I had nightmares for a long time after that, and now and again they still get me. I just want to yell "BEHIND YOU, DEWEY!" a lot, and I swear, the death of
    Randy is one of the greatest losses in horror.
    What a great character. I love the series, especially #1. Sydney is one of the greatest characters, and probably a top 3 female horror icon. As a character she is a smart and strong woman, and that is great to see instead of the common dumb popular girl archetype that has plagued the genre. She says in #1 that girls in scary movies are stupid for running up the stairs instead of going for the door, but when the killer comes for her she does just that. #1 did some amazing things, with the big twist, Randy's rules, and just turning the genre on its head by making some of the most memorable characters on screen with Sydney, Dewey, Gale, and Cotton, along with many more.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Psycho may be a good film, I just think it's not a horror film. I think it's more a thriller than a horror film.

Halloween is often credited as starting the slasher genre, but The Texas Chainsaw Massacre came first, as did a number of Bava films. My response it that *insert film* may have rang the door bell for the slasher genre, but it was Friday The 13th that kicked down the door and defined the sub genre.

Scream never did it for me. I prefer I Know What You Did Last Summer (which just so happens to feature my wife. Pure coincidence, I would like to add).

I don't think i'll have a marathon of one series, instead i'll mix it up by picking a number of my favourite horrors. I will pick one or two franchise films, with the rest being one-offs.
    Psycho may be a good film, I just think it's not a horror film. I think it's more a thriller than a horror film.

Halloween is often credited as starting the slasher genre, but The Texas Chainsaw Massacre came first, as did a number of Bava films. My response it that *insert film* may have rang the door bell for the slasher genre, but it was Friday The 13th that kicked down the door and defined the sub genre.

Scream never did it for me. I prefer I Know What You Did Last Summer (which just so happens to feature my wife. Pure coincidence, I would like to add).

I don't think i'll have a marathon of one series, instead i'll mix it up by picking a number of my favourite horrors. I will pick one or two franchise films, with the rest being one-offs.
    I almost forgot about your insuperable LOVE for Jennifer Love Hewitt. Do you see what I did there? Well, do you? :P
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I almost forgot about your insuperable LOVE for Jennifer Love Hewitt. Do you see what I did there? Well, do you? :P

That wasn't new, but it was ok. ;)
  • @Brady:
    Psycho and Halloween are two of my favorite movies of all time. I could just watch them over, and over.

As for horror/thrillers, I also really love Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Omen (originals of course, no remakes). Texas Chainsaw is one of the most horrifying movies I've ever seen. The way it's set up feels so real, and I'd go into detail but I can't get the spoiler tags to show up for some reason. The Omen is so enjoyable to watch too. It's an idea that could have come off so silly, but accompanied by the amazing cast and soundtrack it's a classic.
    jackdagger wrote:
    @Brady:
    Psycho and Halloween are two of my favorite movies of all time. I could just watch them over, and over.

As for horror/thrillers, I also really love Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Omen (originals of course, no remakes). Texas Chainsaw is one of the most horrifying movies I've ever seen. The way it's set up feels so real, and I'd go into detail but I can't get the spoiler tags to show up for some reason. The Omen is so enjoyable to watch too. It's an idea that could have come off so silly, but accompanied by the amazing cast and soundtrack it's a classic.
    I want to see The Omen with Gregory Peck in it. I am sure it is the original.

I could watch Psycho and Halloween over and over too. You just can't beat that last shot of Psycho
    with Norman hauntingly smiling, and having Mother's face flash over his. Anthony Perkins was the perfect choice for the role. A guy that has boyish looks and seems to have a kind manner about him, but underneath he is a cold blooded killer.
    Hitchcock really aced with that one. And Michael Myers has cemented himself as my favorite horror icon out of Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, and Ghostface. Like I have said before, there are moments where you see that there is a human being underneath the mask, and the simple fact that Michael just walks after his victims and still gets them in the end is a testament to his greatness.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,894
    The Omen is one of those films in which something extra is added when you've seen it twice or more. When you're watching the film for the first time and you don't know what's about to happen, that's one thing, but when you know what's comming and you can't do a thing about it, that's something else. See The Omen, 0Brady, see it now.
    The Omen is one of those films in which something extra is added when you've seen it twice or more. When you're watching the film for the first time and you don't know what's about to happen, that's one thing, but when you know what's comming and you can't do a thing about it, that's something else. See The Omen, 0Brady, see it now.
    This is the version with Gregory Peck, then?

The original 1976 Omen, yes. I have not seen the remake, and I am not going to go out of my way to do so. I highly recommend the original film.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694

The original 1976 Omen, yes. I have not seen the remake, and I am not going to go out of my way to do so. I highly recommend the original film.

Alright, it is added to my list. I may save it for around Halloween time. :-bd
    The only remakes I've seen that are worth a damn (not better than the originals, mind you) are Rob Zombie's Halloween and the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The new TCM looks promising. They are using the same family characters from the original movie (the Sawyer's instead of the Hewitt's

Friday the 13th was fun, but let's face it- that was hardly even a horror movie.

Nightmare on Elm St was crap. It had one evil/sinister part:
    when Freddy killed the dog and said 'I was just petting him!!' That felt like the mean ol' Freddy I remembered from the originals- before he became a freaking comedian
    but that didn't save the movie.

• The original 1976 Omen, yes. I have not seen the remake, and I am not going to go out of my way to do so. I highly recommend the original film.

Good to see another fan of the movie! It's one of my favorites, and I kind of want to go watch it right now. I own the soundtrack, too. I love to listen to it in my car around Halloween. 8->
    I unfortunately saw part of the remake, and it was just terrible. Julia Stiles might be the worst actress in the world, and I couldn't take Sabertooth seriously as Robert Thorn.
  • Need an opinion-- made my logos today-- the 'New 52' bat is pleather but the oval is actually a wooden piece of railing decor from Home Depot! It's about an inch thick and has a nice beveled edge, which I thought was perfect for the 'Earth One' version.

The suit I built is basic enough that it could go either way:

Batmen.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Put the Earth One one over the other and be unique:
    random.png

Or! Use the New 52 one on the chest, and the Earth One as the belt buckle!