Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    I know this is two months on, but I have just recently returned to here.

Sir Roger Moore is one of my most favorite celebrities ever. He was such a genuinely likable person. So classy and sophisticated. A perfect ambassador of the James Bond franchise. I love all of his 007 films!

In March, I finally bought his book "BOND ON BOND," and also bought the soundtrack of MOONRAKER. I wish to finally buy his other book "My Word is my Bond," someday soon.

Here is to Sir Roger Moore!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Former Doctor Who actress Deborah Watling has passed away. RIP

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/deborah-watling-doctor-who-dead-10845650
    Gerard wrote: »
    Former Doctor Who actress Deborah Watling has passed away. RIP

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/deborah-watling-doctor-who-dead-10845650

Damnit ! I loved her in the series. But in France, given that in those days Doctor Who was unknown, we knew her as the niece of Peter Brady in The Invisible Man. Cancer didn't leave her a chance. That's too sad, really.

Same here. RIP
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,808
    RIP, Pudsey. You seemed like such a nice dog, and you had a wonderful life.

radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-22/britains-got-talent-winner-pudsey-the-dog-has-died

I know he was just a dog, and I didn't even know him, but I'm sad that he passed away. But then, I always loved dogs, and it's not likely to change.

EDIT : I repost this as a tribute. And there's a Bond connection :

RIP Pudsey! Woof woof!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Actor John Heard has passed away at the age of 72. He played Peter McCallister in 'Home Alone' and 'Home Alone 2'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,441
    homealone-300x202.png

Look like he died from complication of operation of his back, from last Wensday. Source be his management. He recovering in that special hotel. He maried three time and has three children.

That short translation of what this newspage said about how he died.

http://www.ad.nl/show/home-alone-vader-john-heard-72-overleden~aca5a0f4/
    Volgens het management van de acteur werd hij afgelopen woensdag in een ziekenhuis geopereerd wegens ernstige rugklachten. Hij verbleef in een zorghotel in Californië om te revalideren. Heard was drie keer getrouwd en laat drie kinderen na.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I came across this nice local piece on the passing of Clifton James and wanted to share it. His memorial service is actually later this summer in August.
    For anyone who's served, his uniform tells an impressive story with the combat infantry badge and overseas service stripes (a total of 7, each indicating 6 months in a combat zone).
    He is awesome.

pamplinmediagroup.com/pt/9-news/357972-237884-gladstone-hometown-hero-clifton-james-fondly-remembered
    00003577088859.jpg
    Gladstone hometown hero Clifton James fondly remembered
    Raymond Rendleman - Monday, May 08, 2017

James, awarded the Silver Star for his bravery in combat in 1945, went on international fame as Louisiana Sheriff JW Pepper in two James Bond films

Clifton James, Gladstone's hometown hero for his World War II bravery and extensive acting career spanning nearly six decades, died last month at the age of 96.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - In the photo circa 1980, Clifton James enjoys the Clackamas River with his family near High Rocks in Gladstone.
    00003577088886.jpg

James grew up in Gladstone, a town that he always loved. After studying drama at the University of Oregon, he lived in New York and Los Angeles for most of his life, but his sisters lived in Gladstone, so he would often visit them along with his nieces and nephews. He moved in with his daughter, Gladstone resident Mary James, for the final years of his life before succumbing to diabetes on April 15.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - Clifton James as Sheriff JW Pepper plays opposite Roger Moore as James Bond in 1974's 'The Man with the Golden Gun.'
    cni.pmgnews.com/images/artimg/00003577088908.jpg

James' memorial service with full military honors is scheduled for 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 25, at Willamette National Cemetery, 11800 S.E. Mt Scott Blvd., Portland.

"He almost always played that tough, Southern sheriff type," said James' sister Bev Anslow of his successful acting career that included more than 50 film credits.

James made his Broadway stage debut as a construction foreman in "The Cave Dwellers" (1958). He was involved in a lot of off-Broadway shows, where he played various roles, including starring with Al Pacino in "American Buffalo" from 1980-81, which was turned into a 1997 film production starring Dustin Hoffman.

James played a floor walker in the classic film "Cool Hand Luke" (1967). His most famous role was fast-talking Louisiana Sheriff JW Pepper in two James Bond films opposite Roger Moore: 1973's "Live and Let Die" and 1974's "The Man with the Golden Gun." Anslow said an elephant was supposed to knock James' stunt double, not James himself as JW Pepper, into a Southeast Asian river during a memorable scene in "The Man with the Golden Gun."

Moore paid tribute to James on Twitter: "Terribly sad to hear Clifton James has left us. As JW Pepper he gave my first two Bond films a great, fun character."

As a character actor, James was called upon to reprise variations on JW Pepper many times. Did he mind being type-cast?

"It didn't bother him, and he rather liked it," Anslow said. "He was an actor's actor, and he would act whatever part was given to him and genuinely enjoy the work."

James loved putting on a show throughout his long life. He was a well-known character around Gladstone, often seen with an unlit cigar in his mouth or taking out his false teeth to scare children.

James' mother taught grade school in Woodland, Washington, and would organize local drama productions, including at the old Gladstone Grade School, which which was K-8 at that time. James went to school in Gladstone through the eighth grade and graduated from Milwaukie High School.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - Staff Sgt. Clifton James of Gladstone served in the U.S. Army for 42 months during World War II. (Posted above)

James was one of the last survivors of WWII's 41st Division, composed of National Guard units from Idaho, Montana, Oregon, North Dakota and Washington state. Serving in the U.S. Army for 42 months in the South Pacific during WWII, he was awarded the Silver Star for his bravery in combat on April 21, 1945.

During the spring of '45, James served as a staff sergeant leading a combat patrol to determine the strength of enemy entrenchments on several ridges on the Philippines' Jolo Island, where previous U.S. attacks had been repulsed. Rather than endanger the whole patrol on April 21, he asked them to stay under cover and watch him try to crawl undetected toward an enemy's trench system. James came under "heavy automatic fire" once he crawled within 20 yards of the trench.

"Then, with complete disregard for his life, [James] charged the position, killing its occupants," a now-declassified military document says. "Continuing on his mission, he crawled to a vantage point, where he could observe the activity of the enemy on the next ridge. With this valuable information gained, the forthcoming attack was a success."

More information about James' military service and letters he sent home to family is available in copies of "Gladstone, Oregon: A History" by Gladstone historian Herbert K. Beals available at City Hall. James suffered various injuries during WWII, including the loss of his front teeth. He graduated from the University of Oregon with a drama degree in 1950.

In 1951, James married Laurie Harper, who died in 2015. He is survived by six children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks for posting that. There was more to Pepper than I ever knew.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thank you for posting, @RichardTheBruce! :)
    That's quite the read. James' war bravery in the Philippines is the stuff of legend.
    The stuff you see in the most dramatic of Hollywood war films, except it was all real.
    Quite the life and he pushed it all the way to 96 too.
    His portrayal of Pepper, was as Rog notes was, fun. Pepper sure spiced up both those films with his energetic portrayal of the bombastic Louisiana Sheriff.

I came across this nice local piece on the passing of Clifton James and wanted to share it. His memorial service is actually later this summer in August.
    For anyone who's served, his uniform tells an impressive story with the combat infantry badge and overseas service stripes (a total of 7, each indicating 6 months in a combat zone).
    He is awesome.

pamplinmediagroup.com/pt/9-news/357972-237884-gladstone-hometown-hero-clifton-james-fondly-remembered
    00003577088859.jpg
    Gladstone hometown hero Clifton James fondly remembered
    Raymond Rendleman - Monday, May 08, 2017

James, awarded the Silver Star for his bravery in combat in 1945, went on international fame as Louisiana Sheriff JW Pepper in two James Bond films

Clifton James, Gladstone's hometown hero for his World War II bravery and extensive acting career spanning nearly six decades, died last month at the age of 96.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - In the photo circa 1980, Clifton James enjoys the Clackamas River with his family near High Rocks in Gladstone.
    00003577088886.jpg

James grew up in Gladstone, a town that he always loved. After studying drama at the University of Oregon, he lived in New York and Los Angeles for most of his life, but his sisters lived in Gladstone, so he would often visit them along with his nieces and nephews. He moved in with his daughter, Gladstone resident Mary James, for the final years of his life before succumbing to diabetes on April 15.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - Clifton James as Sheriff JW Pepper plays opposite Roger Moore as James Bond in 1974's 'The Man with the Golden Gun.'
    cni.pmgnews.com/images/artimg/00003577088908.jpg

James' memorial service with full military honors is scheduled for 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 25, at Willamette National Cemetery, 11800 S.E. Mt Scott Blvd., Portland.

"He almost always played that tough, Southern sheriff type," said James' sister Bev Anslow of his successful acting career that included more than 50 film credits.

James made his Broadway stage debut as a construction foreman in "The Cave Dwellers" (1958). He was involved in a lot of off-Broadway shows, where he played various roles, including starring with Al Pacino in "American Buffalo" from 1980-81, which was turned into a 1997 film production starring Dustin Hoffman.

James played a floor walker in the classic film "Cool Hand Luke" (1967). His most famous role was fast-talking Louisiana Sheriff JW Pepper in two James Bond films opposite Roger Moore: 1973's "Live and Let Die" and 1974's "The Man with the Golden Gun." Anslow said an elephant was supposed to knock James' stunt double, not James himself as JW Pepper, into a Southeast Asian river during a memorable scene in "The Man with the Golden Gun."

Moore paid tribute to James on Twitter: "Terribly sad to hear Clifton James has left us. As JW Pepper he gave my first two Bond films a great, fun character."

As a character actor, James was called upon to reprise variations on JW Pepper many times. Did he mind being type-cast?

"It didn't bother him, and he rather liked it," Anslow said. "He was an actor's actor, and he would act whatever part was given to him and genuinely enjoy the work."

James loved putting on a show throughout his long life. He was a well-known character around Gladstone, often seen with an unlit cigar in his mouth or taking out his false teeth to scare children.

James' mother taught grade school in Woodland, Washington, and would organize local drama productions, including at the old Gladstone Grade School, which which was K-8 at that time. James went to school in Gladstone through the eighth grade and graduated from Milwaukie High School.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - Staff Sgt. Clifton James of Gladstone served in the U.S. Army for 42 months during World War II. (Posted above)

James was one of the last survivors of WWII's 41st Division, composed of National Guard units from Idaho, Montana, Oregon, North Dakota and Washington state. Serving in the U.S. Army for 42 months in the South Pacific during WWII, he was awarded the Silver Star for his bravery in combat on April 21, 1945.

During the spring of '45, James served as a staff sergeant leading a combat patrol to determine the strength of enemy entrenchments on several ridges on the Philippines' Jolo Island, where previous U.S. attacks had been repulsed. Rather than endanger the whole patrol on April 21, he asked them to stay under cover and watch him try to crawl undetected toward an enemy's trench system. James came under "heavy automatic fire" once he crawled within 20 yards of the trench.

"Then, with complete disregard for his life, [James] charged the position, killing its occupants," a now-declassified military document says. "Continuing on his mission, he crawled to a vantage point, where he could observe the activity of the enemy on the next ridge. With this valuable information gained, the forthcoming attack was a success."

More information about James' military service and letters he sent home to family is available in copies of "Gladstone, Oregon: A History" by Gladstone historian Herbert K. Beals available at City Hall. James suffered various injuries during WWII, including the loss of his front teeth. He graduated from the University of Oregon with a drama degree in 1950.

In 1951, James married Laurie Harper, who died in 2015. He is survived by six children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

What an amazing background story on a very kindly and memorable gentleman!
    Flo Steinberg, one of the key figures of the silver age of Marvel Comics, has passed away :

cbr.com/marvel-indy-comics-legend-fabulous-flo-steinberg-passes-away/
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    The internal combustion engine and petrol/diesel cars.

By 2040 all UK cars will be electric. Come the second half of the 21st century, all worldwide produced cars are likely to be electric powered.
  • June Foray, legendary cartoon voice/voice performer. Characters include Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Natasha Fatale, Warner Bros. cartoons. Dies less than two months before what would have been her 100th birthday.

http://bit.ly/2uZZ5XK

• Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    Love this tribute for Sir Roger Moore!

Seems Britain Got Talent is cursed : one of 2009 winners has died in a car crash in Canada.

radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-29/britains-got-talent-diversity-star-robert-anker-dies-in-car-crash
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    That's a terrible loss. Such a wonderful actress.

I will give the fabulous Ascenseur pour l'échafaud a rewatch soon in her honour.

Repose en paix, Jeanne :(
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, the incredible Sam Shepard has passed away. Loved his work.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/sam-shepard-has-died-at-73-1202139154/
    And that's not all : french actor Jean-Claude Bouillon, famous here for playing the part of the Commissaire Valentin in the TV series Les Brigades du Tigre has left us, aged 75 :

jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-370984-le-comedien-jean-claude-bouillon-commissaire-valentin-dans-les-brigades-du-tigre-est-decede-a-l-age-de-75-ans.html

I loved that series, which followed the adventures of a group of cops in pre-WW I France.

• I first discovered Jeanne Moreau in Jules et Jim and encountered her time and again throughout many great films of the French New Wave, my favorite of hers being Bay of Angels. Sad to hear of her passing. She had a wonderful, brooding screen presence.

I've read some of Sam Shepard's work. A great writer. Two artists lost in one day. RIP to them both.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Also a great film with Moreau is La notte, one of the best films ever in my book.
  • Fabulous Flo Steinberg -- gone? How can it be??? I met her at a WonderCon awhile back...what a fun person she was!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,469
    Yes, here's to Sam Shepard. So good in The Right Stuff, and I also liked him in Thunderheart with Val Kilmer. I enjoyed the dark masculine strength and ease that came through his presence on camera. @RichardTheBruce, great to read about Clifton James' military action! That's heroism, a great example.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    And what a terrible disease Shepard had to endure...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fabulous Flo Steinberg -- gone? How can it be??? I met her at a WonderCon awhile back...what a fun person she was!

I remember her name attached to a lot of comics. She was at one point mutated and became The Invisible Girl herself. RIP.
    latest?cb=2010
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,813
    *Edit*
    Apologies. Looks like a hoax.

(Bob Barker)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Robert Hardy Actor passed away today aged 91 RIP
    Best known for All Creatures Great And Small also Harry Potter films And the most convincing portrayal of Churchill .
    Bloody hell ,Robert Hardy and Hywel Bennett both dead within hours of each other.

2 very good British actors....RIP to you both.