Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Dalton12 wrote:
    SCOOP: Jenny Olsen Is NOT Replacing Jimmy Olsen In MAN OF STEEL
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=75581#U1WOEqhy1EVrOyk3.99

Henry Cavill On MAN OF STEEL's "Grounded" Approach To Superman
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=75566#tAMdmzmcWYoxSjre.99

Henry Cavill : "This is a Superman for a modern age. It's not betraying anything that Superman is, but it is grounding everything in reality," Cavill explained to the mag. "It's the story of this incredible being who can do incredible things, but whom we can associate with. Because he's gone through troubling stuff and had to make tough choices." Cavill says he didn't know too much about Superman growing up, but since landing the role he's been preparing by reading up and watching box sets of past incarnations of the character - but, that doesn't mean he'll be taking too much influence from them. "I managed to piece together this character, maintaining that bass-line and having all the differences and nuances that our script adds, [But] this is our own thing. Stand-alone. It's about Superman, but we're not copying from any one comic in particular. And that's a good thing, because it's an original story."

Seems Cavill might be approaching the role a similar way to what Craig did Bond, I wouldn't mind betting quite a few actors will take a few pages from Craig's method to taking on an iconic hugely established character from now on, his approach could be the new benchmark.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Shardlake wrote:
    but it is grounding everything in reality
    "Grounding everything in reality"????
    Now I know this movie will fail.... =;
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 4,813
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Oh go on. I'll be looking for you on opening day when the movie OWNS ;)
    BTW In case anyone is wondering how he lost his undies:

30m6eli.gif
    On many other forums, there is a ton of hating going on about 'oh god, how can Superman not have the red underwear? He doesn't look like Superman.....'

What would really be funny is if they had a scene with Clark rolling out of bed or changing his clothes or something - and all he had on was red underwear. :))
    If so, I will publicly wipe the egg from my face, but when some actor bloke in a superhero flick says that his film is grounded in reality I gotta wonder if if a) he understands what reality is and b) if said movie will address world war, poverty, hunger, female infanticide, nuclear threats, solar power--- all things a real Superman could fix in a relatively short amount of time in our world.
    Superman in the Reeve (and even Singer one-off) movies existed in a comic book version or real life. People wanting a comic book hero set in the really real world would do well to watch The Crow IMO.
    Henry Cavill And Michael Shannon Discuss MAN OF STEEL; "Zod's Not A Villain"
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=75764#pIKiVckzJLwM8wbB.99

Talking in the latest issue of Total Film Magazine, Henry Cavill has revealed that Man of Steel wasn't inspired by any particular comic books and shares his thoughts on the new costume design. Michael Shannon also addresses his co-cap armour and says he doesn't see General Zod as a villain in this movie.
    "Having gone to boarding school, I didn't have a comic-book store nearby," the British actor confessed when asked whether or not he grew up a fan of the iconic DC superhero by Total Film Magazine. "But as soon as I was cast in the movie, that's when I got my full, real introduction to Superman." After doing plenty of reading and watching a pile of box sets, Cavill finally felt as if he had a good grip on the character. "I managed to piece together this character, maintaining that baseline and having all differences and nuances that our script adds. This is our own thing, Stand-alone. It's about Superman, but we're not copying from any one comic book in particular. And that's a good thing, because its an origin-story."

"He's not a villain," Michael Shannon said of General Zod. "He's not a villain any more than any other General fighting to protect his people. He doesn't like to just hurt people and steal diamonds; he's focused on being successful at his job." Unlike Cavill, Shannon didn't look to the past for inspiration, saying instead that he wants to take this version of the character in a different direction altogether. "I think the way Terrence Stamp approached it - and this isn't any kind if criticism of his performance - there was something kind of detached about it. Pure, hatred, rage, whatever... I think this [characterisation] is more ambiguous." As for his suit, the Boardwalk Empire star emphasises that motion capture technology was necessary as, "the real thing would probably crush me."

Talking of costumes, Superman also underwent a pretty radical transformation for Man of Steel. "We have absolute respect for what was then. But now is now. Even Superman in the new comics doesn't have the briefs - he has the red belt, but not the briefs. It's time for a change." Much more can from both of these actors can be found in the latest issue of Total Film Magazine.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    BTW In case anyone is wondering how he lost his undies:

30m6eli.gif
    On many other forums, there is a ton of hating going on about 'oh god, how can Superman not have the red underwear? He doesn't look like Superman.....'

What would really be funny is if they had a scene with Clark rolling out of bed or changing his clothes or something - and all he had on was red underwear. :))

Ha that would be very funny. Much like the phone booth in the original film
    Zack Snyder And David Goyer Discuss MAN OF STEEL; "He Can't Hold Up A Continent..."

The problem with a character like Superman is that it's just so difficult for readers - and viewers - to relate with a near-indestructible super being. This has frequently plagued comic book writers, although the last time it was addressed (in JMS' critically panned "Grounded" story arc), it did not go down well with fans. Neither did Bryan Singer's almost action-less Superman Returns in 2006. So, how is Zack Snyder planning on dealing with the Kryptonian's power set in Man of Steel? "It's amazing what [Superman] is capable of but [Henry's] a slightly more down to Earth version of the character," he told Total Film Magazine. "I don't think he can hold up a continent... Superman has been broken for a little while." Ouch! It sure does sound as if he wasn't a fan of Singer's take on the character either.

"He's a man, but he's a Man of Steel," added writer David Goyer. "It's very much the theme of the movie, so it's embedded in the title, which we settled on at the very beginning. He's human but he's not human." It sounds as if the fact that he's not human will play a much larger role in the movie than any of us may have expected. "We try to flesh out Krypton and its different political factions, it's fauna, it's science. It's not a cameo," he said of Russell Crowe's Jor-El. "I think people think he's playing the Marlon Brando role, which isn't necessarily the case." So, Krypton will have a large role in Man of Steel, but what about the larger DC Universe? "I can't really say," is all Zack Snyder will reveal, before adding: "My hope is that we establish him and that he's a viable, awesome character that everyone is interested in seeing continue. He's the biggest superhero in the world. Or should it be. He's Superman, for gods sake!"
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=75772#yCKBZBbvggjr2bHU.99
    2922041-man_of_steel_by_mlg13_by_moislopez_d5xmiuk.jpg

130729metropolisManOfSteelHD.jpg
    tumblr_mjpe0gMA0P1ree0oco1_1280.jpg
    Whoa he looks ready to punch a guy into outer space
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Now that is superman!
  • He looks, if it's possible, to be trying to be superman too much. He looks so imposing and muscular I wonder if his Kent character will be believable? Unless he's playing Kent straight and not the loveable geek that we know. I wonder if Kent could be seen to be gay. Now that would be refreshing. A gay Kent and an overcompensating macho alter ego known as Superman.

That would be a real world setting that might give the character a new twist...a bi curious Superman...crypton could be a metaphor for HIV...

Would have to change his characters name to Supergay. Man of 100% Egyptian cotton.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,107
    He looks, if it's possible, to be trying to be superman too much. He looks so imposing and muscular I wonder if his Kent character will be believable? Unless he's playing Kent straight and not the loveable geek that we know. I wonder if Kent could be seen to be gay. Now that would be refreshing. A gay Kent and an overcompensating macho alter ego known as Superman.

That would be a real world setting that might give the character a new twist...a bi curious Superman...crypton could be a metaphor for HIV...

Would have to change his characters name to Supergay. Man of 100% Egyptian cotton.

Shame on you !! go check your head.
    He looks, if it's possible, to be trying to be superman too much. He looks so imposing and muscular I wonder if his Kent character will be believable? Unless he's playing Kent straight and not the loveable geek that we know. I wonder if Kent could be seen to be gay. Now that would be refreshing. A gay Kent and an overcompensating macho alter ego known as Superman.

g13371304382124686.jpg
    Weren't you the same guy that was telling me I was going to hell for having a drink? Now you want gay Clark Kent?

g13371304382124686.jpg
    Weren't you the same guy that was telling me I was going to hell for having a drink? Now you want gay Clark Kent?

He lost his mind.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,107
    Still Plenty Of Secrets In MAN OF STEEL Says Screenwriter

Zack Snyder on his interpretation of a character that many feel has become outdated in the current society.

"We've tried to make a Superman movie where he does stuff and you go, 'Yeah, if I was Superman, that's what I'd do." Even though he's an alien, he's more relatable, more human."

Screenwriter David Goyer says there's [thankfully] a lot in the film that's still a secret.

"It's something Chris [Nolan] tried hard to do with the Batman films. I'm genuinely pleased with how much secrecy we've been able to maintain. There's so much of the movie that people don't know, that hadn't been touched upon. The trailer's just the tiniest, tiniest tip of the iceberg."

Goyer goes on to assure that this film is not a Christopher Nolan Batman film.

"Relatable and realistic doesn't necessarily mean dark. I think it would be inappropriate for us to approach a Superman film as if we were doing The Dark Knight. The Batman films are a lot more nihilistic; Superman has always been a story about hope."

As for Superman himself, Henry Cavill says the film is a nice blend of action and substance.

"Sometimes you want to watch a whiz-bang movie. Other times you want something introspective, that really provokes something inside. This hits a wonderful medium between the two."

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=75821#T7Os5tplAzBS3erO.99
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Bloody hell am I sick of you and your purposely un-called for posts. Try thinking before you post next time. Flag, flag, flag away I go.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dalton12 wrote:

Zack Snyder on his interpretation of a character that many feel has become outdated in the current society.

"We've tried to make a Superman movie where he does stuff and you go, 'Yeah, if I was Superman, that's what I'd do." Even though he's an alien, he's more relatable, more human."

Screenwriter David Goyer says there's [thankfully] a lot in the film that's still a secret.

"It's something Chris [Nolan] tried hard to do with the Batman films. I'm genuinely pleased with how much secrecy we've been able to maintain. There's so much of the movie that people don't know, that hadn't been touched upon. The trailer's just the tiniest, tiniest tip of the iceberg."

"Relatable and realistic doesn't necessarily mean dark. I think it would be inappropriate for us to approach a Superman film as if we were doing The Dark Knight. The Batman films are a lot more nihilistic; Superman has always been a story about hope."

As for Superman himself, Henry Cavill says the film is a nice blend of action and substance.

"Sometimes you want to watch a whiz-bang movie. Other times you want something introspective, that really provokes something inside. This hits a wonderful medium between the two."

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=75821#T7Os5tplAzBS3erO.99

Sounds like these guys have addressed the fundamental challenges that are a hindrance to Superman's mass appeal. I have such high hopes fir this movie to do one job only abd that's to entertain me. Thankfully, all signs so far indicate MoS is going to rip ass.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Dalton12 wrote:

Thankfully, all signs so far indicate MoS is going to rip ass.

Agreed.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Dalton12 wrote:
    "Superman! You'll be great again! You're just in a slump!"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dalton12 wrote:
    "Superman! You'll be great again! You're just in a slump!"

Hahaha! Maybe he'll actually get to punch something this time! :))
    edited March 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Gotta say Cavil looks SO buff though!
    "El. Kal-El."
  • Superman's going to 'rip ass'? Doesn't that take us back to forgotmyusername's assertions?
    Superman's going to 'rip ass'? Doesn't that take us back to forgotmyusername's assertions?

If that is the case he forgot to toss in the regular "you are going to hell" or "Brady Bunch" comment. How original. :-\"
    MAN OF STEEL: Full Hi-Res Version Of Latest Lois Lane Still Released
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=76035#8cYmYd3M1ImgcSId.99
    It looks like she is trying to find out who Clark is. Maybe they will have her discover Clark's abilities?
    It looks like she is trying to find out who Clark is. Maybe they will have her discover Clark's abilities?

Yes that's what i thought.
    I find it odd that we have yet to see "Clark Kent" or at least the Daily Planet version of him. I wonder what they'll be bringing to that
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I find it odd that we have yet to see "Clark Kent" or at least the Daily Planet version of him. I wonder what they'll be bringing to that

I hope he would be working for Daily Planet.
    Down to earth, hmmm probably not going to see a infinite mass punch then. Looking forward to this movie, though i hope they don't strip Superman down too much with what he is capable off. Though with Snyder helming i am expecting to see some mind blowing stuff.