Bond Villain A vs. Bond Villain B (Chang vs. Gettler)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Necros seemed to me, a fully realised villain whereas Renard was anything but. Not only that Necros may give us the best action scene not involving Bond.
    Renard
  • Where did this thread disappear to, went right off the radar

Last one for this night and going with Necros, simply because he got up to more. The explosive milk bottles, the fight on the cargo plane, the battle with Green Four at the Blaydon safe house for example. Carlyle, an actor of caliber, simply didn't deliver for me with his Renard character. If there had been the same ruthless agression as his 'Begbie' character from Trainspotting, it could of been one of the best Bond villains ever, but I actually favored King as the better all round villain for that release

No, Necros has to win. He gets the vote
    Necros for me too! Also because i met him and he really is a top guy to have a chat with!
  • This is just about dead, so I'll revive it with a Hall of Shame Match!

Mr. Kil vs. Elvis

Mr. Kil is Gustav Graves/Col. Moon's henchman who is the cause of perhaps the lamest pun in Bond history, when Bond commented that he had, "a name to die for". His shining moment was when he, apparently having seen Goldfinger, opted to use the laser to kill Jinx (unfortunately unsuccessfully), having the insight to turn down Zao's offer a simple gun. The understated eloquence of his bemused "I wanna use the laser," has truly stood the test of time. His death came at the hands of his own laser, following a highly-choreographed fight with Bond. After his death his hand was removed by Bond and Jinx.

Elvis is Dominic Greene's best friend forever/right-hand man/not quite henchman. His toupee is the stuff of legend, so well-fitting that moviegoers have been known to take up to ten viewings of Quantum of Solace to notice that something is perhaps amiss with his hair. The race for his shining moment is a dead heat between his phone conversation with his mother about the weather in Haiti, his wizened, almost fraternal chiding of a fellow Quantum employee to "Next time, pay attention," when the employee clearly didn't pay attention to Bond's business card, and his being tripped down the stairs by Agent Fields, which sadly required him to wear a neck brace. He was present at several other events throughout Quantum of Solace and met his end in a fuel cell explosion.

Now, for the thousands in attendance, and the millions watching at home... LLLLLLLLEEETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!
    This is just about dead, so I'll revive it with a Hall of Shame Match!

Mr. Kil vs. Elvis

Mr. Kil is Gustav Graves/Col. Moon's henchman who is the cause of perhaps the lamest pun in Bond history, when Bond commented that he had, "a name to die for". His shining moment was when he, apparently having seen Goldfinger, opted to use the laser to kill Jinx (unfortunately unsuccessfully), having the insight to turn down Zao's offer a simple gun. The understated eloquence of his bemused "I wanna use the laser," has truly stood the test of time. His death came at the hands of his own laser, following a highly-choreographed fight with Bond. After his death his hand was removed by Bond and Jinx.

Elvis is Dominic Greene's best friend forever/right-hand man/not quite henchman. His toupee is the stuff of legend, so well-fitting that moviegoers have been known to take up to ten viewings of Quantum of Solace to notice that something is perhaps amiss with his hair. The race for his shining moment is a dead heat between his phone conversation with his mother about the weather in Haiti, his wizened, almost fraternal chiding of a fellow Quantum employee to "Next time, pay attention," when the employee clearly didn't pay attention to Bond's business card, and his being tripped down the stairs by Agent Fields, which sadly required him to wear a neck brace. He was present at several other events throughout Quantum of Solace and met his end in a fuel cell explosion.

Now, for the thousands in attendance, and the millions watching at home... LLLLLLLLEEETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Not sure if you're refering to this thread piece, or the MI6 forum in general, but have to go (and there's really not much to choose between them), for Mr Kil. Elvis was about as forgettable as you will find a Bond character, totally devoid of any entertaining qualities, while at least Kil offered some (unintentional) humor. The "I'm Mister Kil" line has reached almost legendary status, while Elvis could of livened things up a little with his own "I'm Elvis", but we never got to see, or indeed, hear it. But say again, two of the most disappointing (if not ridiculed) figures, the James Bond series ever had to offer
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,816
    I think Necros would get my vote, though I do like the character complexities of Renard, too.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,945
    I like the idea of the bullet in Renard's brain making him impervious to pain while it's slowly killing him. However, he wasn't used to full effect, and Necros has just so many great scenes, especially the fight with Green 4 at the safehouse and with Bond on the cargo net.

Necros > Renard

As for Kil vs Elvis? Kil easily wins, because 1) he looks menacing; 2) he actually does what Bond henchmen are supposed to do- fight Bond.

Mr. Kil > Elvis
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Necros
    Mr. Kil

Those two would definitely kick their mentioned opponents backsides.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Necros without even a second thought. A shame really, as Carlyle is a much better actor but as @doubleoego states, completely wasted by a crappy script.

Mr.Kil vs Elvis? No winner there. Both are two equally big, steaming piles of monkey poop.
  • oo7oo7
    Necros > Renard
    Necros was a peon turns almost headliner, almost darth maul take over of the bad guy list, noteably as tld has such turns on it that its hard to pinpoint a true badguy, perhaps why it has a weaker ending.
    Renard promised so much, I recall the hype a guy who felt no pain, a guy who would be stronger fast and more determined than bond, and someone bond could never get close to. he was though at the end of it a patsy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Necros!
    Mr Kil Vs Elvis.

Hmm, best possible outcome?

A lightning strike, which takes them both out.

God Wins!
    Necros
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Necros, definitely.
    Mr Kil Vs Elvis.

God Wins!

That's a cop out, come on! I say Elvis with his razor-tipped wig he never got to show off in QoS the film.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Mr Kil Vs Elvis.

God Wins!

That's a cop out, come on! I say Elvis with his razor-tipped wig he never got to show off in QoS the film.

Mr Kil and Elvis as henchmen in a Bond film? Now that's a cop out! ;-)
    @Dragonpol, you got to see it, alright! You saw it sitting at the base of the steps at the fundraiser! Hilarious stuff, the poor chap.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Mr Kil Vs Elvis.

God Wins!

I do like Elvis though. He's a great character who never really got his chance to shine. He's a buffoon more than a henchman. I have his defence case to write up at The Bondologist Blog.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,816
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, you got to see it, alright! You saw it sitting at the base of the steps at the fundraiser! Hilarious stuff, the poor chap.

Yes, but you did not see his toupee in action, so to speak, as the latest Quantum-approved diabolical-follicle weapon - the Elvis monk wig with a razor tipped edge!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I can see it now. The tagline:

"You can split his wig today, but tomorrow there'll be hell toupée."
  • QBranch wrote:

Good one! Or the old tried and true "hair today, gone tomorrow".

By the way, Elvis actually had a gun in his hand ready to shoot Bond when the fuel cells blew him up. At least we can say Greene tried to make a man out of him.

QBranch wrote:

Marge when commenting on Homer's hair transplant: "If your fly wasn't undone, you'd look like Roger Moore" :-)
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Necros over Renard.

And Elvis wins over Mr. Kil for rather obvious reasons, number one being he wasn't created solely to be the butt of an atrocious pun. I can imagine if Purvis and Wade wrote a pun for Bond:

Elvis- "Mr. Bond, I'm afraid I have to kill you but--" (Explosion blows him away).

Bond- "Thank you, thank you very much".

I hate DAD so much.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Necros over Renard.

And Elvis wins over Mr. Kil for rather obvious reasons, number one being he wasn't created solely to be the butt of an atrocious pun. I can imagine if Purvis and Wade wrote a pun for Bond:

Elvis- "Mr. Bond, I'm afraid I have to kill you but--" (Explosion blows him away).

Bond- "Thank you, thank you very much".

I hate DAD so much.

You forgot the obligatory Elvis has left the building phrase!

Anyway, I think I would choose Renard. While Necros was superior physically, Renard's (totally unexplored) lack of pain and psychotic tendencies give him the edge.
    Back in full swing with a new round, geared up and ready to go:

Emile Locque vs. Tee Hee
    Nice to see this up and running again!

I'm going with Locque, based solely off of his amazing death scene.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Live and Let Die has some fantastic villains, Kanaga, Adam, Cab Guy, Whisper, Baron Samedi and of course, Tee Hee!!!!!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Two of my favorite henchmen. I would have to go with Locque though as I love his ability to exude a cold menace without saying a word. Tee Hee has great charisma and is definitely a highlight of LALD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Tee Hee!