The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Brosnan's terrific in Around the World in 80 Days. Makes good use of his talent for light comedy, but also plays Fogg's serious side very well. The miniseries itself is very good. Feels lavish, with some great location work, and the blossoming romance between Fogg and Aouda is given plenty of time and scenes to develop in a very natural way. Also, Peter Ustinov is a great Mr. Fix-- an antagonist, but a likable one, unlike Robert Newton in the 1956 film version, who made the character rather unpleasant at times.

Agreed.

I also enjoyed the chemistry between Brosnan and Eric Idle (as Passepartout). I would have never thought those two actors would work well together, but they do.
    Agreed; they have good chemistry and it's not obvious beforehand.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    See, I feel the opposite to @bondjames, if Brosnan absolutely had to be Bond, then I am glad it happened in the 90's. Without making this Dalton v Brosnan, Brosnan looked too baby faced for Bond at that time. When he was eventually cast, he'd matured just enough.
    Brosnan needed to 'fill out' a bit more.

He was very skinny during the Remington Steel years.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can appreciate your viewpoint @MajorDSmythe, and if I'm not mistaken Brosnan himself has made the same argument to rationalize his casting in the 90s.

There's no doubt that he looked younger and baby faced in the 80s. However, I still contend that he had an 'edge' to him despite his youthful visage. Just like Connery had an edge in the early 60's, Moore had an edge in the early 70's and Craig had an edge in the mid to late 00's. It's the 'edge' that comes with youth. A dynamic vigour. A confidence.

To me, he only exhibited that clearly in GE. By TND it was already starting to dissipate imho.
    I think DAD is his best performance. He just really holds the film together imo and makes the tonal whiplash work in a way no other Bond can manage (generic/greatest hits Bond is a compliment in a way, he never got a script that played to any specific strengths, and he still managed to make it feel like the same character in the same films). And it's hard to describe, but by that point, he just was James Bond to me. He wasn't the new guy anymore, he'd really grown into it and made it all look so effortless.

I did like him from the start, and I can see what you mean about his GE performance @bondjames. He does have a bit of a harder edge to him there which I think we have Campbell to thank for, and he seems more restrained than later on. But I do think he was a bit too skinny and didn't have the confidence he got later on, he wasn't really owning it at that point imo. Being opposite Sean Bean probably didn't help either because he's so commanding and charismatic himself. In a way though I think it works well for the story because Alec is sauntering around owning the place while Bond is pissed off at his betrayal and still unsettled that he's even alive. Might even have been intentional, Campbell might have told him to hold back for that reason, because Bond wouldn't be able to easily run rings around Alec in the same way he would your standard villain, it's a lot more complicated than that.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @thelivingroyale, I think we're talking about two different things to a degree. In terms of confidence in the performance I agree with you that Brosnan was best in DAD. He had finally found his voice, and I think he channeled a lot of the character he played in The Tailor of Panama in his last outing as Bond. The slight arrogance and disdain was apparent, and suited his portrayal.

I agree that he had less 'acting' confidence in GE. No doubt. However, I think he had a certain presence onscreen due to his youth in that film which he didn't recapture in later entries. I also agree that there is no doubt Campbell brought out something great in him, although Bean perhaps outshone him on an acting front.

I'm more referring to the natural edge though. It's not something you can 'act'. It just is. It's the privilege of youth. It's dripping off Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol and The Noble House, even if on a pure acting level he may have been better elsewhere later, like in Ghost.

I think age changes all of us. I've noticed it in many actors, not least the incumbent Bond. That's why I sincerely hope that EON get the next guy soon and get him young (not 20s but definitely mid 30s).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Stud.

32078005_10155397409767091_7246327985538596864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a06895d6d8cac7987fe88d2ab0cd96d7&oe=5B87031E
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yes, sir! :D

Thing is, I could see him being Colonel Cantwell in Across The River and Into The Trees with this look. But, that's a few weeks old picture since he shaved his beard.
    Happy 65th Birthday to Pierce! Add me to the list of those recommending The Tailor of Panama! He's brilliant it it-a scummy, dark Bond, with no morality.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I recommend Mars Attacks!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Happy birthday to Pierce Brosnan, the man who made me fall in love with the Bond franchise in the first place. Seems like a great guy in general and was an outstanding Bond. The total package. I know I'm in the minority but I adore all four of his films. The immense nostalgia doesn't hurt lol.
    Remington wrote: »
    Happy birthday to Pierce Brosnan, the man who made me fall in love with the Bond franchise in the first place. Seems like a great guy in general and was an outstanding Bond. The total package. I know I'm in the minority but I adore all four of his films. The immense nostalgia doesn't hurt lol.
    +1. Hear hear, my friend. Hear hear.
  • Remington wrote: »
    +1. Hear hear, my friend. Hear hear.

I have little more to add to this. "Adore" is a pretty strong word for me to use with DAD, but I've come a long way round in enjoying this outrageously fantastical film. Cheers, Pierce! You made many a new Bond fan and had a damn great run!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain

Agreed! Love all his Bond films.
    DAD was the first Bond movie I saw in theaters so it'll always hold a special place in my heart. It's got a lot of objectively bad decisions throughout, with some of the worst CGI usage I've ever seen, on top of some cringy dialogue at times, but past that, the movie itself can be a real blast if you're willing to look past all of it.
    I look past all of those, actually. I greatly enjoy the film, as outlandish as it is.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DAD was the first Bond movie I saw in theaters so it'll always hold a special place in my heart. It's got a lot of objectively bad decisions throughout, with some of the worst CGI usage I've ever seen, on top of some cringy dialogue at times, but past that, the movie itself can be a real blast if you're willing to look past all of it.

It was my first Bond movie in theaters as well! I absolutely loved it back then and it was even my favorite Bond film at the time. Keep in mind that I was also in my early teens and I had only seen a handful of Bond films at the time. Now it's ranked much lower on my list, somewhere around the 17 spot I think. But I agree with everything you said. It has terrible CGI and bad dialogue, mostly from Jinx, but when you look past those it's actually a pretty fun Bond outing.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It was my first Bond movie in theaters as well! I absolutely loved it back then and it was even my favorite Bond film at the time. Keep in mind that I was also in my early teens and I had only seen a handful of Bond films at the time. Now it's ranked much lower on my list, somewhere around the 17 spot I think. But I agree with everything you said. It has terrible CGI and bad dialogue, mostly from Jinx, but when you look past those it's actually a pretty fun Bond outing.

By that point I had watched all of the movies on VHS many, many times, so I was wildly excited (and 11 years old, so I'm sure my first viewing translated to me thinking it was one of the greatest films of all time).

I do rank it around the Bottom 5 or so, but I still really enjoy it. It may be objectively bad, but it's subjectively entertaining as hell.
    Take out the CGI surfing, delete a few of Jinx's lines, and ignore the robosuit, and it's a fun ride.
    Really, for me, the CGI surfing is the worst part and outside of that, it's a perfect tribute film, with not only nods to elements of the films like gadgets and names, but tones as well. Being captured and tortured is very Dalton, meanwhile, space laser is very Moore/Conneryesque.
    Take out the CGI surfing, delete a few of Jinx's lines, and ignore the robosuit, and it's a fun ride.
    I can't wait for the time when we tackle this film on the 'what would you change thread'. Should be a blast. I expect pages of suggestions.
    I used to hate DAD but I think once you take it for what it is it's a lot of fun. A beautifully OTT mess with Brosnan somehow holding the whole thing together in a way I can't imagine any other Bond managing. I've actually come to prefer it to TND.
    For a movie that remains my least favorite in my beloved franchise, I'd still watch it over many of the CGI infested films made the past 10 years.
    There's much I love in DAD: the gunbarrel music, the PTS- Bond in Cuba, Miranda Frost, Zao is a pretty solid secondary villain, the Ice Palace brings nostalgic memories of Ken Adam, and David Arnold is, once again in top form.
    JET007 wrote: »
    Really, for me, the CGI surfing is the worst part and outside of that, it's a perfect tribute film, with not only nods to elements of the films like gadgets and names, but tones as well. Being captured and tortured is very Dalton, meanwhile, space laser is very Moore/Conneryesque.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I think the reason I put DAD above some of the other weak Bond films is that I can tell that their hearts were in the right place and that they were genuinely trying. The end result was a mess, but at least it wasn't lazy and half arsed like TMWTGG or ashamed to be a Bond film like QoS.
    I think there's a discussion thread on what Bond movie would you like to see as a video game. IMO I think DAD would make an awesome 007 game.
    I think there's a discussion thread on what Bond movie would you like to see as a video game. IMO I think DAD would make an awesome 007 game.

Yeah it's pretty much made for a video game. Remember the level in Everything or Nothing where he jumps off the cliff freefalls down shooting bad guys and catches the girl in mid air? That would have been crap in a film but in a video game it was great. Same applies to the stuff like the tsunami surfing I think. Would have been great fun in a game, doesn't work in a film.

I genuinely think they got it the wrong way round that year. Change the finale, tone down the action and Nightfire could have been a great, if a bit generic, Bond film. While DAD is basically a video game already.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    The Dutch cinema release of ''Spinning Man'' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5616294/ on 14 June it look like it is canceld, because Universal wil release movie on dvd in The Netherlands on 4 July 2018.

9200000093223582_1.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    A belated happy birthday, Pierce Brendan Brosnan! Keep up the good work!

t13CsmY.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars