The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Saw the film. It's one of Brosnan's better VOD films, but nevertheless a disposable one that hardly ticks any of the major twist boxes to be ambitious. It isn't to say it's a bad film. Oh no. It was a good mystery thriller that plays off ambiguous from start to finish, and the lead actors all give great performances. Worth seeing it once.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw the film. It's one of Brosnan's better VOD films, but nevertheless a disposable one that hardly ticks any of the major twist boxes to be ambitious. It isn't to say it's a bad film. Oh no. It was a good mystery thriller that plays off ambiguous from start to finish, and the lead actors all give great performances. Worth seeing it once.

That's how I felt - fun way to spend about 90 minutes, but nothing I'd likely return to. Brosnan was great in it, though, as was the rest of the cast, I'd say. Pearce kept me guessing throughout for sure, and I did enjoy the GE reunion, was happy to see them reunite on screen. I could've done with a "cat strangling" joke, though!
    Did the green cinematography get tiresome?
    mattjoes wrote: »

Quite, as the cinematography itself wasn't anything special, so the green became distracting very quickly.
    LFS wrote: »
    Pierce Brosnan is probably my least favorite Bond, but he was still underserved.

"GoldenEye" was obviously his best (and only good) film, but his performance was his weakest.
    I´ve always felt that he gradually got better with each film while everything around him got worse and worse.

"Die Another Day" is, in my opinion, his best performance; he seems to have given up on hoping the scripts would improve and just said: OK, let´s roll with it... he´s enjoying himself in this batshit crazy surrounding.

It was wrong of Barbara Broccoli to basically fire him - her father would never have done something like that.
    Brosnan absolutely deserved one last, one good, outing in 2004. Nobody deserves to go out with "I´m so good!" - "Especially when you´re bad... ".

Yup. I think Brosnan did a fine job with what he had to work with.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Quite, as the cinematography itself wasn't anything special, so the green became distracting very quickly.
    Green and often more blueish layouts (the John Wick type). The thing is, the film was everything what I expected of it. Nothing special, but not a bad effort. Just not ambitious.
    Green and often more blueish layouts (the John Wick type). The thing is, the film was everything what I expected of it. Nothing special, but not a bad effort. Just not ambitious.

Agreed. Was a fine way to spend an hour and a half. It's never a complete dud for me if Brosnan is in it, at least.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just saw it. Rather disappointing and forgettable, regrettably. Not even worth a review. Stricly straight to dvd (not even blu ray) material. Brosnan was fine but honestly this was a miss.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just saw it. Rather disappointing and forgettable, regrettably. Not even worth a review. Stricly straight to dvd (not even blu ray) material. Brosnan was fine but honestly this was a miss.

Nothing I'll buy or rewatch, but I think I enjoyed it a bit more than you did. I probably wouldn't be as positive about it if Brosnan wasn't in it; doubt I would've ever seen it, actually.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

Nothing I'll buy or rewatch, but I think I enjoyed it a bit more than you did. I probably wouldn't be as positive about it if Brosnan wasn't in it; doubt I would've ever seen it, actually.
    Same here. I wouldn't have seen it if not for the Brozz. I just felt it didn't go anywhere and stagnated. There was limited tension and it more focused on the family dynamic and psychology. I guess I just expected too much after The Foreigner. Still, it wasn't terrible for a Sunday afternoon tv viewing I suppose.
  • Watching The Foreigner right now. Doubt this will turn into a favorite, but I'm enjoying it well enough. What are some of Pierce's better non-Bond films? Anyone have recommendations?

These are the films of his that I've seen (post-90s):

After the Sunset
    The Matador
    Seraphim Falls
    The Ghost Writer
    The World's End
    The November Man
    The Foreigner

Have I seen the best of his output from this century?

Same here. I wouldn't have seen it if not for the Brozz. I just felt it didn't go anywhere and stagnated. There was limited tension and it more focused on the family dynamic and psychology. I guess I just expected too much after The Foreigner. Still, it wasn't terrible for a Sunday afternoon tv viewing I suppose.
    Well, judging by the fact it was a VOD film with limited budget (made only with $8.5 mil), it served up well inside its own circle. Of course, we all watched it for Brosnan, but I never got my hopes up with the film even from the start. All VOD films are like this, after all. Disposable films. They can be decent, but they're disposable.
    Watching The Foreigner right now. Doubt this will turn into a favorite, but I'm enjoying it well enough. What are some of Pierce's better non-Bond films? Anyone have recommendations?

After the Sunset
    The Matador
    Seraphim Falls
    The Ghost Writer
    The World's End
    The November Man
    The Foreigner

Mama-Mia ? ;)

Better buy some earplugs first.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Watching The Foreigner right now. Doubt this will turn into a favorite, but I'm enjoying it well enough. What are some of Pierce's better non-Bond films? Anyone have recommendations?

After the Sunset
    The Matador
    Seraphim Falls
    The Ghost Writer
    The World's End
    The November Man
    The Foreigner

I would add the Tailor of Panama. Came out in 2001 and is one of his best.
    Other than that maybe No Escape, a very intense movie. That's pretty much it.
    00Agent wrote: »

After the Sunset
    The Matador
    Seraphim Falls
    The Ghost Writer
    The World's End
    The November Man
    The Foreigner

I would add the Tailor of Panama. Came out in 2001 and is one of his best.
    Other than that maybe No Escape, a very intense movie. That's pretty much it.
    Agreed on Tailor of Panama. Highly recommended John Le Carre satire and I personally think it's Brosnan's best performance. No Escape is very good too.

Well, judging by the fact it was a VOD film with limited budget (made only with $8.5 mil), it served up well inside its own circle. Of course, we all watched it for Brosnan, but I never got my hopes up with the film even from the start. All VOD films are like this, after all. Disposable films. They can be decent, but they're disposable.
    True, but honestly I have seen more entertaining VOD films than this one. I still think it could and should have been more with this cast. It just seems like a wasted opportunity.
    I echo some of these guys, you'll want to check out The Tailor of Panama, it's great. Brosnan plays a cool yet raunchy spy in a Panama full of twists and turns. Easily one of my favorites of his.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837

After the Sunset
    The Matador
    Seraphim Falls
    The Ghost Writer
    The World's End
    The November Man
    The Foreigner

I think Tailor of Panama is the only good one missing. The Madator is probably my favourite non Bond film of his and he's brilliant in it but I think his best acting performance might be The Foreigner.

I think it's 80s but The Fourth Protocol is meant to be very good as well, I haven't seen that one though.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 6,844
    It sounds like The Tailor of Panama might have to be the next Brosnan I check out. Could maybe pair it with The Thomas Crown Affair.

And I hadn't heard of The Fourth Protocol, but that does sound interesting. Caine and Brosnan in an 80s spy thriller. Can't be all that bad.

Thanks, guys!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Oh right, fourth Protocol is one my my personal favorites of Brozzas. Definitly recommended. Brosnan is a great villain.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I liked both The Fourth Protocol as a movie and Brosnan's performance (he does a lot of standing around looking moody, but damn he's good at that).

I've not seen Tailor of Panama yet but I picked it up on DVD recently and now I'm looking forward to it even more, so thanks, all!
    Brosnan is a nasty Russian spy in 'The Fourth Protocol'.. a very under-rated film and a damn good book as well !!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Fourth Protocol is more of a Michael Caine film than it is a Pierce Brosnan one (just like No Escape is more of an Owen Wilson film than a Brosnan one). In a way, his role is similar to Bruce Willis's in The Jackal. However, Brosnan is very good in both. I'd say he was at his physical peak in TFP, which is around the time he was slated to be Bond (the first time). Shame it didn't happen because I thought he had a certain youthful (and dangerous) edge to him back then which dissipated as he aged.

If you really want a great Brosnan performance I highly recommend The Noble House tv series from the 80's. It's dated and a bit cheesy but Pierce is exceptional in the role of Hong Kong Tai-Pan Ian Dunross. John Rhys-Davis is also in it. Whenever I watch it I think of what could have been with the two of them sparring in a hypothetical TLD.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I wouldn't trade Dalton for anyone but I do wonder if Brosnan would have played it differently if he got it in the 80s. I think everyone involved was keen to push it in a more light hearted direction after LTK didn't do so well, but he's always praised Dalton in interviews and has said he'd have liked to have got grittier scripts himself. So I think his Bond could have been a lot darker if he'd started with TLD.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 613
    I recently saw the excellent three-part miniseries Around the World in 80 Days, which aired on NBC in the U.S. in April 1989. Brosnan plays Jules Verne's wealthy and chronically punctual hero Phileas Fogg, who gradually thaws as he finds himself falling in love with an Indian princess he encounters (and saves) during his travels. Not only is the miniseries intelligently written and beautifully staged, but it contains a surprisingly nuanced and sensitive lead performance by Brosnan. Highly recommended.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I recently saw the excellent three-part miniseries Around the World in 80 Days, which aired on NBC in the U.S. in April 1989. Brosnan plays Jules Verne's wealthy and chronically punctual hero Phileas Fogg, who gradually thaws as he finds himself falling in love with an Indian princess he encounters (and saves) during his travels. Not only is the miniseries intelligently written and beautifully staged, but it contains a surprisingly nuanced and sensitive lead performance by Brosnan. Highly recommended.
    I've always been willing to see that one someday. Glad to hear it's something worth checking out.
    I've always been willing to see that one someday. Glad to hear it's something worth checking out.

Same. It's time i should check it out, together with The Noble House
    00Agent wrote: »
    Same. It's time i should check it out, together with The Noble House
    Seen The Noble House and it's every bit as good as @bondjames describes. I saw it straight after I finished my marathon of Remington Steele for the first time back in the day.
    Will definitly see it then. Also very interested to see how they captured Hong Kong in it.
    Brosnan's terrific in Around the World in 80 Days. Makes good use of his talent for light comedy, but also plays Fogg's serious side very well. The miniseries itself is very good. Feels lavish, with some great location work, and the blossoming romance between Fogg and Aouda is given plenty of time and scenes to develop in a very natural way. Also, Peter Ustinov is a great Mr. Fix-- an antagonist, but a likable one, unlike Robert Newton in the 1956 film version, who made the character rather unpleasant at times.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 613
    Brosnan's terrific in Around the World in 80 Days. Makes good use of his talent for light comedy, but also plays Fogg's serious side very well. The miniseries itself is very good. Feels lavish, with some great location work, and the blossoming romance between Fogg and Aouda is given plenty of time and scenes to develop in a very natural way. Also, Peter Ustinov is a great Mr. Fix-- an antagonist, but a likable one, unlike Robert Newton in the 1956 film version, who made the character rather unpleasant at times.

Agreed.

I also enjoyed the chemistry between Brosnan and Eric Idle (as Passepartout). I would have never thought those two actors would work well together, but they do.