The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    By the way, seems to me Brosnan's H-Block project with director Jim Sheridan has been shelved.

Much like Last Man Out, with Craig Ferguson writing and Ted Mulkerin directing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think the reason I put DAD above some of the other weak Bond films is that I can tell that their hearts were in the right place and that they were genuinely trying. The end result was a mess, but at least it wasn't lazy and half arsed like TMWTGG or ashamed to be a Bond film like QoS.

Back in '79 for those who were there, we thought of Moonraker as an embarrassing blip, a ridiculous assault on the series with its laser battle in space, bondola chase and stupid musical gags. Now, nearly 40 years later we have a sort of cosy fondness for it. We have forgiven it its excesses, and accepted it for what it is.

Maybe in another 10 years or so we will watch DAD and have the same feelings, and for sure when dear old Peirce leaves us we will look at all of his films with misty eyed fondness, as we do now for Sir Rog.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    DAD isn't the worst of the Brosnan films - that's probably TWINE - but it's still abysmal.
    Appreciation Thread. Completely misunderstood.
    well I was sticking up for DAD in a way. it's much more watchable than TWINE which is just a snorefest. At least DAD goes full crazy and just runs with it to the logical conclusion.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    My feelings for TWINE have yo yo'd over the years probably more than any other Bond film. I liked it when it was released, but gradually it's over earnest attempts at melodrama, the underwhelming action scenes and the muted colours of browns and blues have killed my enjoyment.

However, since then I've sort of rediscovered a new appreciation for some aspects of the film. Not being overly bothered by Denise Richards helps.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Denise Richards is awful in TWINE but not in a bothersome way. More in a “bless her for trying” way.

I used to really enjoy TWINE but yes I’m not sure it holds up too well. My biggest problem is it’s clunky dialogue.

“You can’t kill me, I’m already dead”
    “Not dead enough for me”

“I’ve been watching time tick slowly away, marching towards my own death”

“Do you want to put that in English for those of us who don’t speak spy”
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Denise Richards is awful in TWINE but not in a bothersome way. More in a “bless her for trying” way.

I used to really enjoy TWINE but yes I’m not sure it holds up too well. My biggest problem is it’s clunky dialogue.

“Not dead enough for me”

Myself I always thought her portrayal was... Perfectly rounded.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    00Agent wrote: »

“Not dead enough for me”

And "it's all there!" With the tank top and shorts she was wearing, I'm pretty sure it is...
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I watched DEATH TRAIN with 3 friends over the weekend and we had SUCH a blast.

Slowly but surely I am indoctrinating all my friends into the joys of getting drunk and shouting at Pierce Brosnan.

edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    mattjoes wrote: »

“Not dead enough for me”

And "it's all there!" With the tank top and shorts she was wearing, I'm pretty sure it is...

But in all seriousness, people always say she is such a bad actress and while i certainly am not expecting her to win an Oscar anytime soon, she is Daniel Day Lewis compared to Barbara Bach or Carole Bouquet.
    She is watchable all the way through and very pleasing to the eye, i don't need more when it comes to Bond girls.
    Don't knock Barbara Bach. One of the all time great Bond girls.
    Bach is good to look at but her acting always makes me wince. She’s terrible in the film.

“How interesting”
    “By destroying the wuuurld”
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    +1. Legend as far as I'm concerned.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Bach is beautiful but a little dubbing definitely wouldn't have hurt.
    Bach is good to look at but her acting always makes me wince. She’s terrible in the film.

“How interesting”

+1. She is beautiful but very wooden. Her line delivery is like a speaking clock!

“Not dead enough for me”

But in all seriousness, people always say she is such a bad actress and while i certainly am not expecting her to win an Oscar anytime soon, she is Daniel Day Lewis compared to Barbara Bach or Carole Bouquet.
    She is watchable all the way through and very pleasing to the eye, i don't need more when it comes to Bond girls.
    I prefer her to Barbara Bach, whose vocal acting leaves a great deal to be desired, but I prefer Carole Bouquet to her. Richards' skills at delivering exposition needing some polishing, to say the least, but she is certainly fun to watch, and as I said elsewhere, she succeeds in providing a good contrast to the more intense and dramatic relationship between Bond and Elektra.

And she looks great, naturally.

"Naturally." (Cue helicopter blowing up.)
    Mathis1 wrote: »

“How interesting”

+1. She is beautiful but very wooden. Her line delivery is like a speaking clock!

It is. And I say this as someone who otherwise loves TSWLM.

To be honest I don’t think she’s all that much better than a certain Ms. Richards.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 15,801

Precisely. I think Barbara Bach is miles above Denise Richards. Cold and aloof. One of the coolest leading ladies. The rivalry and rapport with Roger makes up for some of the line readings, IMO.
    Granted, some of her line readings may be a bit dodgy, but then again, so are many of Timmy D.'s
    "Well the must have hit the FUEL LINE!!!!!!!"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Precisely. I think Barbara Bach is miles above Denise Richards. Cold and aloof. One of the coolest leading ladies. The rivalry and rapport with Roger makes up for some of the line readings, IMO.
    Granted, some of her line readings may be a bit dodgy, but then again, so are many of Timmy D.'s
    "Well the must have hit the FUEL LINE!!!!!!!"
    Hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. XXX is super cool. The fact that she is a total babe is an added bonus. My compliments to Ringo.
    I struggle with her. She often takes me out of otherwise great scenes. A good example being the Lotus underwater sequence where she can’t seem to say lines like “James!” or “look!” without sounding wooden.
    A brief first-look trailer for Final Score starring Brosnan and Bautista is here:

Is this a remake of Van Dammes Sudden Death? Any Info on who or what Brosnan is playing?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I am effing in! YES! :-bd
    Cool-looking, though brief.

I have a positive disposition to the film as it reminds me of Max Payne 3. A soccer stadium is a great setting for an action film. Sudden Death was set in a stadium but a less grandiose looking one.
    A brief first-look trailer for Final Score starring Brosnan and Bautista is here:

Lol! Well that looks different!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Isn't life amazing... :)

I woke up today, thinking this will be another unremarkable and boring day in the office, little did i know it would be one of the most memorable days of my life, because i would meet my childhood hero... In the flesh. By pure accident :))

I saw Pierce posting a short Video of him on Facebook this morning, from Stockholm where he attendet the Premiere of Mamma Mia 2 yesterday...
    And at the end of it he mentioned 'off to Hamburg' and I was thinking to myself "wait a second, thats where i live!"

So I immediately checked if there is any Premiere or press event for Mamma Mia 2 in Hamburg today but i could't find any Information!

There was only a month old contest for fans of the movie where you could win tickets to a secret Fan event for Mamma Mia 2 happening today, including a Boat tour with some of the cast and afterwards a special preview screening of the movie in an undisclosed location in Hamburg. It mentioned that some of the female stars would be there, but not a single word about Brosnan.

It was already 4PM and the Boat tour would start at 6PM so i was frantically looking for any kind of information i could get.

Only piece of information i found was an off comment in what Hotel Brosnan would be staying. So i made a decision. As soon as i finished work i jumped on my bike and drove like hell to the Fontenay Hotel.

I arrived there at around 5:10PM, thinking that if they have a Boat tour at 6PM they would have to leave shortly, so i parked myself right across the street of the hotel entrance and stood there... all by myself... for an hour... looking like the most inconspicuous stalker ever :)) hoping i could get a glimpse of the man.
    And he did not come...

I stood there until 6:05PM when i noticed a group of guys, on the other side of the street, staring at the hotel entrance and trying to look as inconspicuous as me (and failing as hard at it as me).

So i walked over there and asked them if they were waiting for Brosnan too, and of course they did. I asked them if they had any other information beside the Hotel, and i got the jackpot! One of the guys knew the location of the Cinema that held the preview screening!

And off i went!

I arrived around 8:10PM at the Passage Kino in the City. Front Entrance. Which is ironically just a couple feet away from a spot where Brosnan filmed a scene for TND.

The event itself was scheduled for 8:30PM.
    I was getting a bit worried. The door was closed and there was a sign on the door saying "Private Event today, Cinema is closed", and there were some posters of Mamma Mia at the entrance, so i knew i was in the right location, but there was no red carpet, no sign of a "premiere" going on....

It was already 8:25PM and i started getting nervous. Did i waste my whole day for nothing? There was absolutely no one there, not even the inconspicuous fans from the hotel before.

I was already about to leave when i thought to myself "what if they used another entrance?!" So i walked around the Block AND THERE THEY WERE! THE FANS...
    About 20 of them, staying in line in front of the back door, with pens and pictures of Brosnan waiting to be autographed.

I went to the guy from before and asked if Brosnan was there already, and he said "yes he's inside" Which broke my heart in a split second...

Then he turned back again and said "and they will leave again in a couple minutes."
    which instantly repaired my heart again...

So now i was standing there, waiting for Pierce Brosnan... wondering if this was some kind of dream. "Am i really about to meet my childhood hero on this random and unremarkable Thursday?" "Is this really happening?" "Why didn't i shave this morning, i look like s**t..."

And then he came... what an amazing presence.
    He basically just rushed through, straight for the car.
    All the people waiting there immediately started BOOING him, because he didn't want to sign any autographs. I couldn't care less, i did not expect anything from him like some spoiled brat...

i was just standing there with my mind blown.... i was looking at Pierce Brosnan in the flesh. Like a real person. My knees were pudding. Part of me was relieved he did not talk to us because i would have been drooling like an idiot, not able to say a word.

Then, when he was right at the door of the car, he looked me straight in the eyes and said "Guys... i will be back shortly."

PIERCE BROSNAN, the guy who's movies i've been watching for 20+ years just called me "guys" :))
    and apologized he didn't have more time to share with me lol!
    No, i did not get a handshake, or a selfie, or an autograph ( i didn't even bring a pen)
    But now Pierce knew that i existed in this Universe together with him! What more could i possibly need?

This has been an absolutely amazing moment for me, and it will take some time to digest the randomness of it all, but if there's one thing i know for sure after today it's this:
    "We will meet again Mr. Bond"

hnGJnLN.jpg
    pxiDee1.jpg
    lgwRzWc.jpg
    IotO0y8.jpg
    OfGvz7r.jpg
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Congratulations, great story!
    So, you've got me grinning like an idiot, @00Agent! Well done!
    But now Pierce knew that i exsisted in the same Universe as him! What more could i possibly need?
    Yeah, I can imagine the feeling! And really, you could've gotten a pic with him or an autograph, but I don't think it would've made too much of a difference. One way or the other, it was still going to be this fleeting moment of awesomeness. And you lived it!
    Then, when he was right at the door of the car, he looked me straight in the eyes and said "Guys... i will be back shortly."
    For the real premiere, he meant?

I bet when he locked eyes with you, you felt like this.

You met the Brosnic Messiah... never wash those eyes again!!
    So, you've got me grinning like an idiot, @00Agent! Well done!
    But now Pierce knew that i exsisted in the same Universe as him! What more could i possibly need?
    Yeah, I can imagine the feeling! And really, you could've gotten a pic with him or an autograph, but I don't think it would've made too much of a difference. One way or the other, it was still going to be this fleeting moment of awesomeness. And you lived it!
    For the real premiere, he meant?

I bet when he locked eyes with you, you felt like this.

You met the Brosnic Messiah... never wash those eyes again!!

Exactly! :D

But when we locked eyes it felt more like this:
    giphy.webp

I don't know what he meant when he said he will be back shortly, but i sure will find out!