The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Worst Bond? His movies $***? Yeah okay.
    ufhAW15.gif
    Fundamentally sh*t?
    giphy.gif

Always found plenty to enjoy about the Brosnan era myself, thankfully!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    If it weren't for Brosnan and his films, I probably wouldn't be a Bond fan in the first place.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You know what they say about opinions...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I love the Brosnan era (all four films), and love how affectionate he and his wife are. I would be the same way with my partner.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I really admire Pierce, his long and fruitful marriage is fascinating and a real rarity these days.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,185
    QBranch wrote: »
    I love the Brosnan era (all four films).

Same here, Pierce is my number 1.
    The Brosnan era is where i fell in love with Bond, as much through his Movies as through the games.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Getafix wrote:

"The EON Brosnan era films were all fundamentally sh*t though which I suppose let’s him off on some level."

Die Another Day is an undeniable masterpiece! What do you reckon, Jinx?

giphy.webp

• edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Getafix wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I may not be a big fan of Pierce's Bond or his films, but I have a lot of admiration for the man, especially in the light that article paints him.

+1

Worst Bond but perhaps the most decent man to play the part. He’s always seemed incredibly likeable to me and right from the start I’d always hoped he’d deliver the goods as Bond but was perennially disappointed.

He needed a proper director to tease out of him the proper Brosnan Bond performance we never got. Sad really. I’m sure he had it in him somewhere. May be John Boorman could have done - I still regard TTOP as Brozza’s best Bond performance.

The EON Brosnan era films were all fundamentally sh*t though which I suppose let’s him off on some level.

I don't think so somehow,they are arguably the most entertaining,up there with Sir Roger as a 'go to ' Bond ,for me anyway.

source.gif

Whoops, I think that was your car there, @getafix ;)

barryt007 wrote: »
    Whoops, I think that was your car there, @getafix ;)
    giphy.gif
    Dammit!

And I thought I was being nice as well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He’s not wrong.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Better to lose your sense of humour than to lose your way entirely, which is what happened to Bond from 1995-2002. It never looks good when past Bonds take digs at their successors. The Craig era humour while not exactly brilliant is still leagues ahead of what passed for wit in the Brosnan films.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Better to lose your sense of humour than to lose your way entirely, which is what happened to Bond from 1995-2002. It never looks good when past Bonds take digs at their successors. The Craig era humour while not exactly brilliant is still leagues ahead of what passed for wit in the Brosnan films.
    I think your understanding of humour isn’t really in common with that of the rest of us.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    A bit of humour is lacking from the latest films, but more so, a sense of playfulness and adventure.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Now that's funny. I'm busting at the seams here.
    o0TYyBr.gif
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    While i love the Daniel Craig films, those are not the ones i put on when i want "fun" and good humor. Thats what Brosnan, Roger and to some degree Sean are there for.
    I think your understanding of humour isn’t really in common with that of the rest of us.

I'll take that as a compliment then.
    QBranch wrote: »
    A bit of humour is lacking from the latest films, but more so, a sense of playfulness and adventure.

Agreed.

You've pissed him off AGAIN @Getafix !!

vcvhpy7qljfwkwl9cv99.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I was watching QOS the other day and Bond's teasing of Fields is always amusing without being laugh out loud silly. His response to Mathis saying 'she has handcuffs you know' with 'I do hope so' is funny, and well delivered by Craig.

Brosnan would tend to sell a line too enthusiastically at times, but that may be down to the writing more than his delivery.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I'll take that as a compliment then.
    giphy.gif
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Pierce speaks the truth, at least in terms of the recent films not having that flippant and light hearted adventurous nature. That's long gone imho, replaced by an overall serious undertone. That's not to say that the Craig films don't have humour. They certainly do. It's just a different kind of weary and sardonic humour, more suited to his overall demeanour and portrayal. I enjoy both, as long as it's done well.

Frankly I think the film makers realize this too, and that's why they've recently tried to inject a bit of the old school waggish flavour back. They've failed imho. Not every actor can pull that off credibly, and certainly not Craig. Chalk and cheese.
    Broz doing a dad dance early on in this clip.

Saw Mamma Mia 2 last night. Delightful film.
    I honestly don't think I could sit through this in the theatre. It's too much for me. The worst kind of torture.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    I honestly don't think I could sit through this in the theatre. It's too much for me. The worst kind of torture.

I was expecting the same. Saw the original in the cinema and remember sinking in my seat when Honey Honey came on.

This I really enjoyed.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

I was expecting the same. Saw the original in the cinema and remember sinking in my seat when Honey Honey came on.

This I really enjoyed.
    I may have to give it a watch, but I'll wait for tv so I can change the channel in case it becomes too painfully cringy.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,189
    The original is way too “girly” (). This one feels more mature and the more annoying aspects of the first film have been toned down.
    Mark Kermode raved about it. But he loved the first one too. He said this new one is even better...

I haven't seen either. I'm too cool.