The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffin

His most endearing achievement. ;)

Thanks! Will have to check it out :-D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It won all the Oscars that year - and deservedly, too.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Oh yeah!

Oh yeah!

:))

Damn right it did!

rMg5Z0Z.png
    mattjoes wrote: »

Damn right it did!

rMg5Z0Z.png
    @mattjoes you dawg! :))
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Some of you know I occasionally enjoy getting drunk and shouting at Pierce Brosnan movies, an event I call Get Drunk & Shout At Pierce Brosnan Movie Night.

Should you wish to play along at home, my Christmas gift to you is:

THE OFFICIAL GET DRUNK & SHOUT AT PIERCE BROSNAN MOVIE NIGHT DRINKING GAME
    • Pierce ends a line with 'hm?'
    • Pain face
    • Resting Smug Face
    • Brosrunning (thanks to the #Bond_age_ family on Twitter for this one)
    • Accent: Irish
    • Accent: transcontinental wandering
    • Accent: not even Pierce knows what he's trying to achieve here
    • Any form of the verb 'to pierce' used by or about Pierce's character
    • Bond reference in a non-Bond movie
    • Pierce wears a leather jacket
    • Pierce rides a motorbike
    • Two drinks if it's obviously Pierce's stunt double riding the motorbike
    • Pierce's man-cleavage makes an appearance
    • Two drinks for nipple reveal
    • Three if shirt comes off altogether
    • Drain glass if he fondles his own chest (The Moobraker)
    • Sex scene
    • Two drinks if the sex scene is completely irrelevant to the plot
    • Drain glass if the sex scene goes on way too long (you'll need it)
    • Finish bottle if MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HEEEEERE

Further suggestions welcome!

(NB I am very fond of Pierce but I do enjoy a bit of affectionate mockery. I don't mean to offend.)
    That sounds like the recipe for a good movie night right there, @Agent_99! :-D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,882
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Some of you know I occasionally enjoy getting drunk and shouting at Pierce Brosnan movies, an event I call Get Drunk & Shout At Pierce Brosnan Movie Night.

Should you wish to play along at home, my Christmas gift to you is:

THE OFFICIAL GET DRUNK & SHOUT AT PIERCE BROSNAN MOVIE NIGHT DRINKING GAME
    • Pierce ends a line with 'hm?'
    • Pain face
    • Resting Smug Face
    • Brosrunning (thanks to the #Bond_age_ family on Twitter for this one)
    • Accent: Irish
    • Accent: transcontinental wandering
    • Accent: not even Pierce knows what he's trying to achieve here
    • Any form of the verb 'to pierce' used by or about Pierce's character
    • Bond reference in a non-Bond movie
    • Pierce wears a leather jacket
    • Pierce rides a motorbike
    • Two drinks if it's obviously Pierce's stunt double riding the motorbike
    • Pierce's man-cleavage makes an appearance
    • Two drinks for nipple reveal
    • Three if shirt comes off altogether
    • Drain glass if he fondles his own chest (The Moobraker)
    • Sex scene
    • Two drinks if the sex scene is completely irrelevant to the plot
    • Drain glass if the sex scene goes on way too long (you'll need it)
    • Finish bottle if MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HEEEEERE

Further suggestions welcome!

(NB I am very fond of Pierce but I do enjoy a bit of affectionate mockery. I don't mean to offend.)

It's possible that you could tick each one off in a single film!

0853c39a3b637505e0c4323e97dc0e62.jpg

;)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    It's possible that you could tick each one off in a single film!

I'm not sure my liver could take it!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Resting Smug Face

=))
    This? ;)

3o85xsthxqomc6joZi.gif
    Ah, the patented Brosnan facial expression number 108. I remember it well.
    Sometimes, I emulate that in real-life. It's become my second nature when flirting. ;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Sometimes, I emulate that in real-life. It's become my second nature when flirting. ;)

Same. I have resting Broz face syndrome as well.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Same. I have resting Broz face syndrome as well.
    You should join our newly found religion on Discord. The Disciples of Brozza. :D
    I Should!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Bit sad to find out Brosnan wasn't much of a fan of the Bond series. In this clip from 6 mins 48 seconds onward he struggles to name the theme tunes for most of the Bond films he's asked about.

He didn't have a clue about The Spy Who Loved Me/ A View To A Kill/Live And Let Die nor Licence To Kill.

I kinda imagined he'd be a bigger fan of the series but nope. I doubt he's even seen many films. He said he's never seen Live and Let Die and Licence To Kill. Oh well, life is about disappointments! :(

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Bit sad to find out Brosnan wasn't much of a fan of the Bond series. In this clip from 6 mins 48 seconds onward he struggles to name the theme tunes for most of the Bond films he's asked about.

He didn't have a clue about The Spy Who Loved Me/ A View To A Kill/Live And Let Die nor Licence To Kill.

I kinda imagined he'd be a bigger fan of the series but nope. I doubt he's even seen many films. He said he's never seen Live and Let Die and Licence To Kill. Oh well, life is about disappointments! :(

I think his favorites are FRWL, GF, and FYEO with his least favorite being OHMSS because of Lazenby.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 1,661
    I do recall Brosnan saying something like "Dalton's films lost their way " around the time of the release of GE but in this interview he says he's never seen Licence To Kill (!) so how would he know Dalton's films lost their way?!

Yep, I get the feeling he saw the early Connery Bonds - Goldfinger was the first film he saw when he arrived in the UK - but stopped watching the franchise when he pursued his acting career. Who knows, Brosnan may not be a big film fan - he might prefer acting in them rather than watching them. I guess if you're a busy actor you don't have much free time to watch films!

Wow. He effed that quiz up royally. LOL.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I do recall Brosnan saying something like "Dalton's films lost their way " around the time of the release of GE but in this interview he says he's never seen Licence To Kill (!) so how would he know Dalton's films lost their way?!

Because he wasn t Bond.

Because he wasn t Bond.

Oh yes he was. For 10 years, like it or not - Well, and obviously you don't.

As for that Quiz, you could do this with any other Bond actor and would certainly get the same results. Try doing that with Connery (he would slap you for asking) Lazenby or Dalton. Roger might know a couple but he would probably make a charming self deprecating joke about his age and memory. I bet Daniel would be the only guy with a minimum chance of winning, because he admitted to watching all movies twice when he prepared for the role. That was somtime before 2006, i don't think he would remember every tune though.

Are people here expecting these guys to hang around on Bond Forums all day long?

As usual it seems that Brosnan is expected more from than any other Bond actor. But i know you guy's love him, stop pretending ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Because he wasn t Bond.

You don t get it. He wasn t Bond in those two films.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 5,185

Because he wasn t Bond.

You don t get it. He wasn t Bond in those two films.

Got it. And in that sense i agree with him ;)
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Connery didn’t read (save for DN, FRWL and CR) nor care about the books much, either. Moore didn’t even bother, just like Lazenby. So, I don’t see a reason why are we singling out Brosnan. His films didn’t draw much characteristic inspiration from the novels so it wasn’t a requirement from the actor to be well-versed in the franchise.

Only Craig and Dalton wanted their Bonds to be associated with that of the literary version, so obviously they have to know their Bonds well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

It was quite distressing to view this. I can't believe he hasn't seen LALD (LTK I can understand because few did, but even then I'd imagine he would have been asked to watch it prior to taking the role, since it was the last film before his tenure began).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That was cringe-worthy. He seemed equal parts embarrassed/uncomfortable and pissed off.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The worst part for me, wasn't Brosnans lack of Bond theme knowledge (not knowing the books* is one thing, but that is the films), it was near the end, at 9:06 - "Don't do that to me, please." It will take a few hours for my toes to un-curl after that.

*Though he did refer to AVTAK as FAVTAK at one point.