The November Man (2014) - Pierce Brosnan's return to the spy genre

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have no idea. But good question. One would think it would be soon!
    November perhaps? ;)
    Change of plans, it looks like I'll see the movie Tuesday instead of Saturday :/

Oh well as long as the movie is worth it, I'll wait :)

I still don't know why they didn't make the worlwide premiere in November..it makes sense right ? :D Plus there are not many big movies in november. Hunger Games are the only big movie in November right ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Change of plans, it looks like I'll see the movie Tuesday instead of Saturday :/

I still don't know why they didn't make the worlwide premiere in November..it makes sense right ? :D Plus there are not many big movies in november. Hunger Games are the only big movie in November right ?

Either way, let us know what you think! Really eager to talk more about the film with you all. I loved it, and am eager to see it once again.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    7 November is the release date for the UK.
  • Samuel001 wrote: »
    3 days earlier and it would have been out in time for my birthday.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Either way, let us know what you think! Really eager to talk more about the film with you all. I loved it, and am eager to see it once again.

Just watched it :)

I really liked the movie.

Brosnan still has it.

Finally a movie that I enjoyed. The last movie that I throughly enjoyed was GOTG and sorta TMNT..so that means..what a month without enjoyable movie for me ?

This movie shouldn't be compared with 007 though. We had 50 years to get to know Bond, and 100 mins. to get to know Deveraux so of course 007 can be better than The November Man.

However in the 100 mins. this movie shows us everything we need to know about Peter Deveraux (sorry if I butchered his name). The first half hour was not that great to me (maybe because I was spoiled about something that happens in the first 20-30 mins..) because I enjoy charaacter driven movies and I didn't know much about the characters after half hour..but after that this movie really becomes spy thriller in its true form.Finally a movie that can literally bring you thrill and excitement. The only complaint I had about this movie is that in the end this is not a blockbuster movie..I don't know if that's a bad or good thing but I would have definitelly liked this movie if it was big budgeted because in the end The November Man doesn't seem larger than life like Bond for example (yeah you can't help but compare them). But the author of the book tried to make something realistic (like the Jack Ryan books I guess) so we are "stucked" with reality action movie rather than larger than life action movie (like Mission Impossible or Die Hard or 007).

Still in the end this movie is enjoyable flick. Not a big budgeted movie (which I guess will be a reason for some people not liking it, mostly americans as they are not used to those kind of movies) but a enjoyable flick none the less. If you see it on TV you'll like it. If you see it in cinema knowing that you are not going to see a 100million dollar movie you are going to like it.

I saw it in a full theatre and overal I thought that most of the people liked the movie (but still there are some people that would rather check their phone rather than waiting till the movie ends :@ )

Also another reason why the people in my theatre liked the movie was Belgrade which is not that far away from my country so some people were in "Oh he's going to that place..I was in that place once" mode :D

Also the owner of the strip bar is a famous comedian on the Balkans and no one really expected him so quite a few people laughed when he apperead on the screen.

Now let's get to the Bond comparations. This movie sorta reminds me of LTK and SkyFall at some things (I won't say why cause it's sorta spoiler I guess..)

FOR ME PERSONALLY if this was compared to Bond movies I would have find this movie more enjoyable than many Bond movies (looking at you Moore movies). Not better just more thrilling.

Still however if we have to compare them with the last 3 Bond movies I'll say it is better than QoS (not a tough job really), but it falls down to CR and SF (altough this movie is more determined to stay on the main story than SF).

7/10 in the end, but I am definitelly looking forward to seeing more movies of this hopeful franchise/trilogy/quadrology.

Bottom line: Pierce still has it. If he was still part of 007 movies I wouldn't have been mad one bit. Now I really want to see a movie with the Bond actors..like seriously someone should do this as a tribute to Bond..this is licence to print money really..
    Not a Bond movie but a spy/action movie with the Bond actors..I am sure like 3 or 4 of the actors would like a role..

Have Pierce be the good guy, Craig the bad young cocky guy. Tim in a "M" role, Moore in Q role. Surely Lazenby would be for it too. The only problem is Sean but hell maybe he won't say no to being a voice on the radio just for good measure...COME ON GET ON IT HOLLYWOOD.

But I digress. Go and see The November Man without big expectations (I really had low expectations as you can judge from my past posts here) and you will really enjoy the movie :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    24 mill for a movie budgeted a 13 means it's doing well IN JUST AMERICA. World take will send it over the top.
    Cool!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    24 mill for a movie budgeted a 13 means it's doing well IN JUST AMERICA. World take will send it over the top.
    Cool!

Money wise it is doing good but the IMDb/Tomatoes ratings are not amazing, which might mean that the sequel won't make much ? I hope I'm wrong.

I've heard that this movie hit the torrent sites so.. :(

Let's hope this movie will get wider release and it will make more money..I hope this movie will get release in asia, there are always money in asian releases..
    Also this movie was released in Egypt,Iceland,India,Lebanon,Netherlands,Singapore,Thailand,Turkey and United Arab Emirates (from the countries that count towards the box office numbers as of right now)

and it made 2.124.889 dollars from these countries combined.

which means this movie made 26,580,883 USD

26.5 million dollars is great. If the movie really has 13m dollars budget it means it already doubled..I hope this movie will eventually reach 40m dollars worldwide before the run is over altough it looks tough at this point :/
    **it happens. I won't touch that nonsense because I want to see clean versions of movies. Once I watched part of a Jackie Chan movie 'unofficially' and bought the film when released for real. I cannot abide poor presentations.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I agree with you, @dragonsky: I had a whole lot of fun watching this movie. I sat back and was incredibly entertained the entire time. I can't wait to watch it again once it's released on blu-ray - hopefully by the end of the year.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    **it happens. I won't touch that nonsense because I want to see clean versions of movies. Once I watched part of a Jackie Chan movie 'unofficially' and bought the film when released for real. I cannot abide poor presentations.
    i rarely use torrents. they're a pain in the arse.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    The low production budget doesn't hurt the film at all. There was nothing cheap about it. The film was rather not invested in special effects and stunts which kept costs down.
    It was a nice change of pace. IMO there are way too many big cgi films being made. They become a blur after a while.
    Bond films are actually a nice balance, being blockbusters but nicely paced and better made, than something like the last Expendables film which was non-stop mindless special effects action.
    I hope November Man keeps the special effects and stunts budget modest in future. Sometimes a lot more can be done with less.
  • Samuel001 wrote: »

Thanks for telling us @Samuel. Can't wait to finally see it! :)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 7,653
    I really enjoyed the movie an old fashioned spy-thriller.
    timmer wrote: »
    I hope November Man keeps the special effects and stunts budget modest in future. Sometimes a lot more can be done with less.
    See: Doctor No.
    :)>-
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,446
    Tomorrow is Belgium release date of the movie and there be now much more release dates like 07 November in Uk. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402157/releaseinfo?

Belgium tv spot

In The Netherlands now after 2 weaks the movie delieverd $379,469, stil with a theater count of 62. It is more then ''Chef'' who now after 3 weaks deliever $351,574 with a theater count of 59 (9 les then last weak). A Most Wanted Man deliever $709,532 after 3 weaks with a theater count of 52 and that's one theater count more then previous 2 weaks.

The 3th Riddick movie did $353,812 in 2 weaks in September last year and at the end deliever $495,145. With mabey a bit of luck The November Man mabey deliever more then 600.000 in The Netherlands. Because with $361,594 in first 2 weaks Delivery Man did $602,041 at the end.

The movie doing it better then Red Lights with Robert de Niro in 2012 who delieverd $370,135 and The Cold Light of Day from same year deliever $256,542 after 3 weaks. Then two moviesget out of the cinema, because this also be end numbers.
  • Okay, in all honesty? I think Pierce Brosnan was never really my favourite actor. Allthough I loved him in Polanski's "The Ghost Writer". Wunderful piece of political espionage/thriller.

But "The November Man"?? I saw it, and my jaw dropped down the floor. I think it was a cheap, appaling B-movie trying to lift on elements of espionage movies and thrillers like Jason Bourne and 007. But it was blended to an awful, boring concoction, that mostly suffered from a truly bad plot/screenplay. Next to "Skyfall", "The November Man" pales completely. Suddenly "Skyfall's" screenplay looks good next to "The November Man".

Sometimes I wonder why movies like "The November Man", "Argo" and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" barely get any attention on MI6-HQ. Because THOSE movies I truly liked....those movies had well-written screenplays and tried to do something nice to the spy-genre.

"The November Man"? On a rating from 0 to 10: 5.0/10.0. Only Pierce Brosnan saves the movie.
    @Gustav_Graves I agree with you that November man did not have the best plot, which still does not excuse SF's plothole illogical screenplay for 1 second, but it remained consistent and delivered a decent spy thriller. The only thing in common with the 007 franchise was Brosnan. And yes he lifted the vehicle in my interest, any other actor would have meant that I would have seen it on the telly at one unspecific time in the future instead of the cinema. But still I was not of the opinion that I wasted my dosh, I have seen far worse movies in the similar subject.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2014 Posts: 3,157
    @Gustav_Graves So... according to you, The November Man had a well-written screenplay, but it was a awful boring concoction that suffered from a truly bad screenplay?

I love coherent people.
  • Walecs wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves So... according to you, The November Man had a well-written screenplay, but it was a awful boring concoction that suffered from a truly bad screenplay?

I love coherent people.

No, a BAD screenplay. Skyfall's screenplays is miles better than The November Man's screenplay. That's what I, in part, wanted to make clear.

I love coherent people.

No, a BAD screenplay. Skyfall's screenplays is miles better than The November Man's screenplay.

No it is not! Admittedly things work a little to neat and convenient in the last half hour of the movie, but at least they make sense. As Saint Mark wrote,this is simply a bound to earth spy story told straight in your face and like him I desperately wish they would make more of them. You know with storylines that don't make you fear your brain implodes,if you think about,what is happening on the screen.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    After reading all comments on here from those who have seen it, I expect it will have some flaws, and I'm not expecting it to be a fantastically great film - but I am now expecting to really enjoy the ride. Especially with Pierce and Olga. I'm so looking forward to this film. :)

And thanks, @M_Balje for the release date link! Now I know it will finally get here in Jan. 2015. A bit of a wait still ... but I'll see it in the theater for sure, and that makes me happy! :-bd

(I really loved Argo and Tinker Tailor, by the way. I think other members have mentioned them in positive ways on other threads. I'm not looking for November Man to be exactly like any of them. )

I love coherent people.

No, a BAD screenplay. Skyfall's screenplays is miles better than The November Man's screenplay. That's what I, in part, wanted to make clear.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »

I love coherent people.

It doesn't change the fact that you claimed in the same post that The November Man has a well-written screenplay and a truly bad screenplay.
    Anyway, I hopeful that the film is earning enough money for us to truly get a sequel, and I badly want that. I just want an enjoyable series of films (3? 4?) with this character, starring Pierce. If there were ways to improve this one, hopefully they will with the second.

I'm still looking forward to this one a lot and I'm just really glad it is doing acceptable box office.
    Anyway, I hopeful that the film is earning enough money for us to truly get a sequel

The December Man!

(groan!) :D
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Dutch update:

After 3 weaks the movie now delieverd $465,047 and now with 61 theater counts, 1 les then last weak. In Top 20 movie dropts from 7th to 15 plac. A Most Wanted Man now almoost a month in the cinema's delieverd after 4 weaks $846,394 and go from the 5th to 8place and stil with theater count of 52. In 2010 ''The American'' deliever $1,113,294 with 35 theater counts. New this weak on 2th place and released on 24 September (on the last day cinemticket cost € 5,00) and started with 88 theater counts, delieverd a lot with $717,086 be The Equalizer with Denzel Washington.

In the 4th weak the movie no longer be in Top 20, that means that it wil take a bit longer before the next update til there update the year list. A Most Wanted Man, in the 5th weak go from 8th place to 11th place, from 52 to 48 theater counts and now totaly delieverd $935,956. The Equalizer after 2 weaks now $1,297,612.

In Belgium the movie whas released on 1 October and no numbers yet and that also count for moost other country's and the world wide total. The last update of American Boxoffice whas on 6 October and movie delieverd there $24,925,099. So on this moment we can only say the movie delieverd more then $ 25 million..
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Watched the movie a couple of days ago, and really enjoyed. Brosnan still kick ass!!!