The November Man (2014) - Pierce Brosnan's return to the spy genre

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It opened with just $861,238 in box office takings on Wednesday.

It's predicted to take around $9 million by the close of the weekend.

Not bad for a start. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looking forward to reading the reviews on here from the rest of you who are just as excited to see it as I am. It's playing ten minutes from my house, but I'm at my apartment at college, so it looks like I'll be waiting for the blu-ray release. :(
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fun fact: Spy is Norwegian for vomit.
    http://www.movies.com/movie-reviews/november-man-review/dave-white/m70007

Best line from that review: "November Man promises audiences exactly two pleasures: air conditioning and a Pierce Brosnan who doesn’t sing." :))
    http://www.movies.com/movie-reviews/november-man-review/dave-white/m70007

Best line from that review: "November Man promises audiences exactly two pleasures: air conditioning and a Pierce Brosnan who doesn’t sing." :))

It's comforting to know I can sing better than Pierce. I just need his money and looks and I'll be sorted!
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,661
    It opened with just $861,238 in box office takings on Wednesday.

It's predicted to take around $9 million by the close of the weekend.

If it makes 9 million that's more than Sin City 2 made last week and more than other R rated openings such as Dredd, Conan (remake), Sabotage, The Last Stand, Bullet to the Head! ;) Hopefully enough Bond/Brossy fans will give it enough support to make it end up at number two in the box office chart. Guardians of the Galaxy is expected to retain top spot.
  • I might be missing something but there dosen't seem to be a UK release date.anyone know ?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No UK release date yet.
    One of my favorite online reviewers saw it and said Brosnan's performance in it was near that of Timothy Dalton's Bond. Hopefully I'll be able to see it tomorrow.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It is a grittier spy, apparently.
    I'm mostly hoping for Brosnan to be good, enjoyable and playing a character I want to see again. The overall film ... I have no idea at this point. That is why I will rely on our forum's (especially Brosnan fans) opinions. Even so, I will see it whenever I get the chance.
    Let's see Roger Donaldson direct a Bond.
    Murdock wrote: »
    One of my favorite online reviewers saw it and said Brosnan's performance in it was near that of Timothy Dalton's Bond. Hopefully I'll be able to see it tomorrow.

Who ?

This movie will arrive in my country on 18th of September so hopefully I'll see the movie that weekend. Until then I'll try not to get spoiled on the internet :/
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Who ?

Brad Jones of thecinemasnob.com

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    StoneShi wrote: »
    Let's see Roger Donaldson direct a Bond.

No Way Out was an amazing movie, so I'd welcome a Donaldson Bond movie.
    I might be missing something but there dosen't seem to be a UK release date.anyone know ?
    Samuel001
    August 29 Posts: 12,692
    No UK release date yet.

That might not help its overall box office. The US DVD/Blu-ray should be released in about three months time so there's only a small-ish amount of time for it to get a UK release.

Perhaps it will go straight to DVD and Blu-ray in the UK? Do any 18 rated films get shown in cinemas anymore? :D It's all this PG and 12 stuff!
    Thanks very much, @Birdleson! Glad you enjoyed it; I am wanting to see this film more than ever. Wish I did not have such a terribly long wait for it, but I do.

You are so right about trailers. I almost cannot stand to watch any trailers any more; the majority of them are rife with far too much info about the film. Instead of just whetting my appetite, I am given too much and it sure takes the joy out of the scenes when you actually see the film.
    Thanks very much, @Birdleson! Glad you enjoyed it; I am wanting to see this film more than ever. Wish I did not have such a terribly long wait for it, but I do.

You are so right about trailers. I almost cannot stand to watch any trailers any more; the majority of them are rife with far too much info about the film. Instead of just whetting my appetite, I am given too much and it sure takes the joy out of the scenes when you actually see the film.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 99
    Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here. But how could I not review my favorite Bond's new film. The November Man is a more gritty, violent, and I guess, more realistic spy movie - one that Brosnan should have had.

Anyways, to the movie. It starts off slow, and it was kind of hard for me to get used to the low budget. Around 30 mins in, the pace picks up and the good action begins. Brosnan uses a lot of hand-to-hand combat, which was largely absent from his Bonds. His girlfriend's name is Natalya, the bad general's name is Arcady (Ourmov anyone?), there is a nerdy computer hacker, some Goldeneye-ish music, and a sleazy club owner (Valentin).

Thoughts: Brosnan is kind of like Liam Neeson in Taken; he beats up thugs and shoots some. Also, he's aged A LOT in the span of a few years. Luke Bracey steals time away from Brosnan and doesn't really add anything to the movie. Olga is a babe.

Overall: I enjoyed it immensely. Is it cliched? Probably. However, it's one of the best movies I've seen recently.

P.S. Craig sucks
    Nice review, Birdleson. ;) Thanks for your opinions. Really looking forward to seeing this film.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    You think that it started out slow? I didn't feel that at all.

Yeah for me it really picked up when Olga came in. Then, it was pretty much nonstop action.

• Difference of opinion then, nothing wrong with that. I really, really liked this movie. It feels as if Brosnan never left the action genre at all. He picks up right where he left off, which is rare for an actor to do.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Just saw November Man and enjoyed it. A couple of holes and knots in the film, but otherwise well done in all aspects.

Kind of wish Pierce had that intensity and darkness as Bond as he did in November Man. Not sure how much of the stunt work was his own, but his athletic prowess has held up from the last 12 years. He also seems to have lost some weight from the recent photos of him.

Olga is getting more and more beautiful. She is also coming into her own as an actress. She did quite well for herself playing more than one character.

Glad Pierce remembered to do the pain face (twice) and kiss the dead woman.

I think November Man may have erased the memory of Mamma Mia.

Oh yeah, BOOBIES!
    @Kerim oh shit we get to see Pierce's boobies ? I have to see this film now !
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Not just his.

But not Olga's either. Sorry.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Since it's technically Monday already, I'll be seeing this film later tonight! I'm absolutely broke beyond belief right now, but my girlfriend knows how bad I've wanted to see this movie, so she'll be taking me out after I get off work this evening. What a remarkable woman, and I was really surprised to find this get a wider release, so it's only 20 minutes from college. Will report in with my thoughts after I see it.
    Enjoying our members' thoughts so far. Looking forward to hearing yours, Creasy. :)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 1,661
    Box office is in! $9.4M total so far. It made more money over the weekend - 7.7 million - than many other R rated action films like The Last Stand, Sin City 2 etc. ;) Creasy's visit to see it will add a few more cents to the box office total!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Taking into account its production budget (the highest I heard was that it was close to $17million) and it only cost $3million to distribute, it shouldn't be too hard for the film to turn a profit worldwide. If it does (no matter how small), seeing as Brosnan's Dreamtime own the rights to a sequel, the likelihood is we'll get one.

Still miffed that there's no UK release dates, though.
    Taking into account its production budget (the highest I heard was that it was close to $17million) and it only cost $3million to distribute, it shouldn't be too hard for the film to turn a profit worldwide. If it does (no matter how small), seeing as Brosnan's Dreamtime own the rights to a sequel, the likelihood is we'll get one.

Still miffed that there's no UK release dates, though.

So I should cheer for this movie to earn like 50m dollars worldwide when it's all said and done.

• It's definitely a movie worth watching - one of my favorites in recent times. It's awesome to see Brosnan actually fight, and violently shoot (lots of blood) bad guys.